Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why do we even bother with this?
Osemele is a name, he is not good. The Raiders are trying to rebuild their line and traded a guy away for a 6th...not because he is good. Cap hit doesn’t matter to then because they have it for days it was a level of play move.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2019, 01:16 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: It's the net result that matters. Sure we draft good to elite players occasionally. We also draft really bad players.

We also hang on to a HC who hasn't won a playoff game in what 7 tries?

We have the same GM since 1992 who hasn't won a playoff game.

Cherry pick little points. Hey in 2011 we signed 3 defensive starters.

It's the net results that matter. You can look for isolated instances that prove your point here and there, but the net results matter...and that's no playoff wins in 27+ years.

Only problem with this argument is that when you used to criticize Marvin you claimed that the front office had given him enough talent to win.

Why hate on Marvin for not winning a playoff game if it was all the front offices fault?  You can't blame Marvin if he never had enough talent to win.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2019, 09:14 AM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: We all know how this is going to play out. Year after year it’s the same thing. Bengals don’t rush out to make any free agent signings and they surely aren’t breaking the bank for any top tier guys. The Glenn trade last year was an anomaly. Tender/resign our own mediocre players and maybe try to get a Preston Brown type player or two to fill holes. That’s what we can expect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not sure why do YOU even bother with this?
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2019, 02:12 PM)Whodey614 Wrote: He declined last year, sure, but still a pretty solid option at guard. He graded in the 80s most of his career but graded in the 50s last year because of injuries. How is that not good? You'd be taking a risk assuming he'll rebound this season but the Glenn trade last year was a risk too. 

Do you think you'll get that from a guard drafted in the 6th?

Alex Redmond and Trey Hopkins both had better grades last year. You are banking on Osemele getting in a time machine and going back to being good at 30. Maybe he does, but I wouldn't want to make the 10 million dollar bet to find out. 
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2019, 02:03 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Only problem with this argument is that when you used to criticize Marvin you claimed that the front office had given him enough talent to win.

Why hate on Marvin for not winning a playoff game if it was all the front offices fault?  You can't blame Marvin if he never had enough talent to win.

I've often thought Marvin overachieved with the talent level on the roster during the regular season, but he was a bad playoff coach. To take 7 cracks at a playoff win, you'd think we'd win 1 by luck alone. But even (Andrew) Luck beat us in the playoffs.  Hilarious 

How many front offices retain a coach that's 0-7 in the playoffs and give them what 3 more seasons after that 7th loss? That there shows the front offices commitment to mediocrity.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2019, 02:03 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Only problem with this argument is that when you used to criticize Marvin you claimed that the front office had given him enough talent to win.

They’re not mutually exclusive. It can be said the front office didn’t give him enough talent to win. But Marvin didn’t win with what he had.

He did have teams good enough win a playoff game

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2019, 02:26 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I've often thought Marvin overachieved with the talent level on the roster during the regular season, but he was a bad playoff coach. To take 7 cracks at a playoff win, you'd think we'd win 1 by luck alone. But even (Andrew) Luck beat us in the playoffs.  Hilarious 

How many front offices retain a coach that's 0-7 in the playoffs and give them what 3 more seasons after that 7th loss? That there shows the front offices commitment to mediocrity.

I get so sick and tired of people acting like the Bengals going 0-7 in playoffs under Marvin was just a complete and total failure of management and coaching. How many of those 7 playoff games should the Bengals have actually won?
Pittsburgh without Carson? No way.
Houston's first home playoff game in forever with a bunch of rookies? No way.
Indianapolis, in a game where the Bengals essentially had noone but Andy Dalton left on offense? No way.
Pittsburgh without Andy Dalton his MVP year? No way. The fact that this game was even close was a miracle and a complete credit to one of the best defensive games in team history.

If you went to any of those game seriously expecting the Bengals to win, you were probably fooling yourself (and I say that as someone who absolutely convinced themselves their defense would let them hang in there in 2015). I don't see how you pin any of those losses on the front office, and the fact that they even got to that playoff game in Houston is actually a huge credit to them considering they were 2-14 the year before and built a team essentially from scratch.

Yes, they should have beat New York... but then again, they're not the only team that lost to the Jets that postseason. Yes, they should have beat San Diego... but then again, they're not the only team that lost to the Chargers that postseason, either. Yes, it sucks that the Bengals haven't won a playoff game since I was in elementary school... but it's as much a combination of bad luck and bad timing as anything else, and trying to pin it solely on management or coaching is, in at least 4 of those games, borderline ridiculous.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2019, 02:26 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I've often thought Marvin overachieved with the talent level on the roster during the regular season, but he was a bad playoff coach. To take 7 cracks at a playoff win, you'd think we'd win 1 by luck alone. But even (Andrew) Luck beat us in the playoffs.  Hilarious 

So do you agree that Marvin had enough talent to win or not?
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2019, 02:51 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: He did have teams good enough win a playoff game

So the front office is capable of putting together a roster than can win in the playoffs.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2019, 02:12 PM)Whodey614 Wrote: Do you think you'll get that from a guard drafted in the 6th?

The question is why did they not get more than a 6th round pick in return for him.
Reply/Quote
I think we learned a little something from the coaching search. The Bengals play by the book in fear of getting in League trouble (they wouldn't even give a 2nd interview to Zac until the Rams season was done). It's likely they don't start making calls or negotiating until the League year officially begins. This explains why they seem to always be absent these first couple days of pre free agency.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2019, 03:50 PM)jj22 Wrote: I think we learned a little something from the coaching search. The Bengals play by the book in fear of getting in League trouble (they wouldn't even give a 2nd interview to Zac until the Rams season was done). It's likely they don't start making calls or negotiating until the League year officially begins. This explains why they seem to always be absent these first couple days of pre free agency.

Nice try, but "no".

Bengals are not interested in the players who sign on the first day or two.
Reply/Quote
Let's just see what happens. We know there won't be any moves this week barring a trade but the real question is do we emerge from this with at least one starting LB and one starting Guard or Tackle.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2019, 03:50 PM)jj22 Wrote: I think we learned a little something from the coaching search. The Bengals play by the book in fear of getting in League trouble (they wouldn't even give a 2nd interview to Zac until the Rams season was done). It's likely they don't start making calls or negotiating until the League year officially begins. This explains why they seem to always be absent these first couple days of pre free agency.

bengals follow the rules well and it hurts us.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2019, 03:50 PM)fredtoast Wrote: The question is why did they not get more than a 6th round pick in return for him.

generally they will take a low draft pick (late round) to offload a contract...

Or if they expect them to walk the next year then get something instead of nothing.

look at what the stealers are getting for AB
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2019, 09:28 AM)Schmitbuck Wrote: I have optimism that there will be more signings this year than most with the new coaching staff. There are 2-3 cuts I wouldn't mind seeing as we sign guys.

I'll put the over/under at 4.5 on starters signed during free agency (including our UFA like Eifert, Dennard, etc).

Only 2.5 more to go...
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote

05, 14 (or whatever year they lost to SD), and 15 teams were talented enough to win a Playoff game.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2019, 08:13 PM)t3r3e3 Wrote: 05, 14 (or whatever year they lost to SD), and 15 teams were talented enough to win a Playoff game.

'05 and '15 teams both had backup QBs out there. Kitna was no Carson of 2015, and McCarron's so mediocre he couldn't start for the Bills last year and is now buried in Oakland. The fact that they were in those games at all against a superior opponent was the surprise, not that they lost.
Reply/Quote
For those giving me crap for wanting Osemele... we just resigned Bobby Shart. I don’t want to even ***** hear it.

[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Half these guys have been Bengals coaches for all but a week or two. I dont even know how much evaluating they could've truly done by now, especially with the combine and having to plan for the draft. I dont think these guys know the team well enough to go out and sign a bunch of big names today. They may feel like certain players fit in their system better than they fit in Marvin's and we would never know.
Reply/Quote