Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why do we worry about minorities in this country?
I mean if the majority want something shouldn't it just be that way?

I pose that question due to a comment (I know, never read the comment sections) in this story. The story, btw, is awful.

Quote:NC legislator posts image calling Obama ‘Islamic son of a *****’

Outspoken Republican state Rep. Michael Speciale of New Bern took to Facebook this month to share an obscenity-filled comment about President Barack Obama.

“Look you Islamic son of a *****” begins the quote Speciale shared on his public Facebook page Sept. 5. “Unless you give all your land back to the native Indians, don’t pretend to lecture Israeli’s (sic) about our borders when you can’t control your own.”

The quote isn’t from Speciale himself. He posted an image of Obama and Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Facebook that featured the comment. The image appeared on a page called “1 MILLION People to DEFEAT Barack Obama.” It’s unclear where the quote originated.

“Are you going to do something about (Islamic State terrorists),” the comment concludes, “or should Israel show you how it’s done because you are too much of a coward and the most piss poor excuse for an American president in your Great Nation’s history.”

After the post garnered media attention Monday, Speciale added a comment with the image responding to criticism:

“I find it interesting how many liberals pretend that they are offended by this post, yet they have no problem with Obama destroying the very fabric of this nation. These same folks didn’t appear fazed when some of the most vitriolic garbage was being spewed by their fellow liberals at President Bush!
It must also be a slow news day at WNCT and The News and Observer, since they think this is a story today. Obama will end up as the worst president in history, and it will be a result of his performance, and none of my Facebook posts can be blamed!”

The post isn’t the first time Speciale has raised eyebrows with Facebook commentary. In July, he blasted Gov. Pat McCrory, whose criticism of the legislature Speciale said was “sophomoric and borne of ignorance and a lack of knowledge.”

Read more here: http://www.newsobserver.com/news/politics-government/politics-columns-blogs/under-the-dome/article35211846.html#storylink=cpy

Now, ignoring everything that is wrong in that picture (Obama being Islamic, Israel doing anything about ISIS) and the fact that an elected officials believes this is good for the country to share it and to defend it, we have this wonderful comment which read along the lines that since Obama's approval rating is 20% (true?) more people agree with Speciale than disagree so why is everyone complaining. (Now I can't find which site had the comment...sorry).

So should we care?

I mean if 80% of people polled think the President is Islamic why even argue...right?
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(09-16-2015, 07:52 AM)GMDino Wrote: I mean if the majority want something shouldn't it just be that way?

I pose that question due to a comment (I know, never read the comment sections) in this story.  The story, btw, is awful.

Read more here: http://www.newsobserver.com/news/politics-government/politics-columns-blogs/under-the-dome/article35211846.html#storylink=cpy

Now, ignoring everything that is wrong in that picture (Obama being Islamic, Israel doing anything about ISIS) and the fact that an elected officials believes this is good for the country to share it and to defend it, we have this wonderful comment which read along the lines that since Obama's approval rating is 20% (true?) more people agree with Speciale than disagree so why is everyone complaining.  (Now I can't find which site had the comment...sorry).

So should we care?

I mean if 80% of people polled think the President is Islamic why even argue...right?

This whole thing falls under the heading of just because someone says it doesn't make it true. It's all baseless rhetoric that, yes, some morons believe.

But it a percentage of Americans (and a high percentage it is) can't think for themselves do we just stop teaching? Some would suggest we already have, and the evidence for this position does exist.

Or, as someone said the other day, "No politician ever got elected overestimating the intelligence of the American people."
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
(09-16-2015, 09:21 AM)xxlt Wrote: This whole thing falls under the heading of just because someone says it doesn't make it true. It's all baseless rhetoric that, yes, some morons believe.

But it a percentage of Americans (and a high percentage it is) can't think for themselves do we just stop teaching? Some would suggest we already have, and the evidence for this position does exist.

Or, as someone said the other day, "No politician ever got elected overestimating the intelligence of the American people."

Yes.

And I was posting that before work this morning so I don't know if I made my point well.  We tend to ask why the government gets involved with "protecting" minorities.  My stance has always been that that is one thing they should do.  Whether it is due to race, sex, or religion you can't just let the majority discriminate because they are the majority.  That's all.

And the comment about his poll numbers kind of struck that chord with me.  As if its ok to just lie as long as most people believe it.
(09-16-2015, 09:21 AM)xxlt Wrote: This whole thing falls under the heading of just because someone says it doesn't make it true. It's all baseless rhetoric that, yes, some morons believe.

If you're referring to Obama being called a Muslim as "baseless rhetoric", you either have your head in the sand or just can't stand your guy being scrutinized.

Its not rhetoric, and certainly not baseless.

You're correct about if someone says its true does not mean it is. So lets hear it from the horses mouth:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCAffMSWSzY

"Baseless" you say?

(09-16-2015, 09:47 AM)Blutarsky Wrote: If you're referring to Obama being called a Muslim as "baseless rhetoric", you either have your head in the sand or just can't stand your guy being scrutinized.

Its not rhetoric, and certainly not baseless.

You're correct about if someone says its true does not mean it is. So lets hear it from the horses mouth:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCAffMSWSzY

"Baseless" you say?

"Moron," I say. Sorry the wrong word attracted your focus.
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
I am really confused as to what this thread is about. Minorities?
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(09-16-2015, 10:23 AM)michaelsean Wrote: I am really confused as to what this thread is about.  Minorities?

Would you like a report done?  A Minority Report.
[Image: m6moCD1.png]

(09-16-2015, 10:23 AM)michaelsean Wrote: I am really confused as to what this thread is about.  Minorities?

Two fold really.

1) the comment made me think about why the gov needs to protect minority groups.

2) the post itself about the moron from North Carolina who posted a meme and now has to defend it.
(09-16-2015, 10:32 AM)SteelCitySouth Wrote: Would you like a report done?  A Minority Report.

Puns are their own reword.
(09-16-2015, 10:40 AM)GMDino Wrote: Two fold really.

1) the comment made me think about why the gov needs to protect minority groups.

2) the post itself about the moron from North Carolina who posted a meme and now has to defend it.

I think I'm missing where the majority is somehow doing something to the minority here.  I'm just seeing a rant.  
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(09-16-2015, 10:49 AM)michaelsean Wrote: I think I'm missing where the majority is somehow doing something to the minority here.  I'm just seeing a rant.  

They aren't.  I used the comment to launch into another thought...and rant.

It was early.   Smirk
(09-16-2015, 10:49 AM)michaelsean Wrote: I think I'm missing where the majority is somehow doing something to the minority here.  I'm just seeing a rant.  

It reeeeeeeeealy feels like you want that report.
[Image: m6moCD1.png]

(09-16-2015, 10:55 AM)GMDino Wrote: They aren't.  I used the comment to launch into another thought...and rant.

It was early.   Smirk

I knew it was coming.
Smirk
(09-16-2015, 11:06 AM)SteelCitySouth Wrote: It reeeeeeeeealy feels like you want that report.

This is me not acknowledging it.

Who thinks the govt doesn't need to protect minorities? It's a pretty fundamental concept of the Constitution.

I think where you're confused is people don't think the govt needs to IMAGINE butthurt in order to create victims they can pander to for votes.
(09-16-2015, 12:00 PM)JustWinBaby Wrote: Who thinks the govt doesn't need to protect minorities?  It's a pretty fundamental concept of the Constitution.

I think where you're confused is people don't think the govt needs to IMAGINE butthurt in order to create victims they can pander to for votes.

I've seen it said that the federal government doesn't need to provided protection from discrimination.  Just let the locals decide what is best and if you don't like you can move.

Maybe even seen it on this very board.    Smirk
(09-16-2015, 10:40 AM)GMDino Wrote: 2) the post itself about the moron from North Carolina who posted a meme and now has to defend it.

I've noticed there appears to be a common theme with folks that post a lot of memes
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(09-16-2015, 01:30 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I've noticed there appears to be a common theme with folks that post a lot of memes

[Image: orlytopo.gif~c200]
(09-16-2015, 01:30 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I've noticed there appears to be a common theme with folks that post a lot of memes

[Image: loginandsaythatthenwemightconsidercaring...e839ac.gif]
[Image: putin-meme.jpg]