Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why does our defense look so bad?
Our linebackers look slow and can't cover. Our line gets zero pass rush.

Theories?

I read last year that our starting defense was the 2nd oldest in the NFL. Has age caught up with them?
Reply/Quote
I think that practicing against our poor offensive line gave them a false sense of confidence.

I also think that guys like Billings aren't producing at starter level. Then guys like Willis have great getoff, but need more experience to finish sacks.

At LB, Minter is better than Maualuga...but still slow and not that good in coverage.

Age is starting to catch up with our defense in other spots too. They should be able to have a couple more productive years hopefully.
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2017, 10:23 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Our linebackers look slow and can't cover. Our line gets zero pass rush.

Theories?

I read last year that our starting defense was the 2nd oldest in the NFL. Has age caught up with them?

We got rid of Rey M. and Hunt who were both 30+ and Dansby who I believe is 35. We got rid of Peko is also over 30 so we got younger losing those 4 guys significantly replacing the with Mintor 26, Willis and Lawson and Billings. My guess is Vigil replaces Dansby and the Evans is added so we got much younger at LB and DL.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2017, 10:24 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I think that practicing against our poor offensive line gave them a false sense of confidence.

I also think that guys like Billings aren't producing at starter level. Then guys like Willis have great getoff, but need more experience to finish sacks.

At LB, Minter is better than Maualuga...but still slow and not that good in coverage.

Age is starting to catch up with our defense in other spots too. They should be able to have a couple more productive years hopefully.

I tried to warn this when Hobspin was talking about how he'll bring speed to the LBs and such, but Fred and a couple others bought it hook, line, and sinker, and started regurgitating it.

I don't know how anyone bought that he was going to be fast. He ran a 4.81 and he's like 250lbs. My expectations for him are a slightly upgraded Maualuga, most of that upgrade coming from him being 10lbs lighter and 4 years younger than Maualuga.

Same with Vigil. He ran a 4.72 at 240lbs. He did well at the cone and shuttle, but that's not going to help him if he needs to cover a crossing pattern or dart out wide to cover a screen or catch a RB going wide.

For reference, if they were in the 2017 combine:
4.81 would be 20th out of the 22 LBs.
4.72 would be tied for 14th out of 22 LBs.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2017, 10:23 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Our linebackers look slow and can't cover. Our line gets zero pass rush.

Theories?

Wouldn't be the first time the D got off to a slow start. There have been a couple years recently where they started out the season giving up a ton of yards, and by the stretch run they were playing much better and near the top of the defensive rankings. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2017, 10:40 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Wouldn't be the first time the D got off to a slow start. There have been a couple years recently where they started out the season giving up a ton of yards, and by the stretch run they were playing much better and near the top of the defensive rankings. 

Hope your right. But damn, when they looked as bad as they did, it's hard to be optimistic.

Reply/Quote
Missing both starting safeties doesn't help anything.
Reply/Quote
Ever since paulie took over as D coordinator each year has followed a similar trend.

Early season we are complete trash. We let teams run all over us and let teams row underneath routes all day. WTS that Paulie is a big bend but don't break type of coordinator

By week 8 it seems we finally make adjustments to improve and by weeks 14-16 we are actually a decent defense.

My question is why do we restart each season? Why can't we begin where we left off??
Reply/Quote
Because Mike Zimmer is in Minnesota. Smirk
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2017, 01:59 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Because Mike Zimmer is in Minnesota. Smirk

Damnit, I was just about to post something similar. Zimmer would not put that shit on the field. If he seen what he saw last night, bet your ass it would be fixed NOW!

Reply/Quote

Theories?

There are certain players who are new to being starters and others who have lost a step. For those new players, there will be growing pains unfortunately.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Fundamentals - a central or primary rule or principle on which something is based.

KC had a crap ton of yards after first contact last night directly linked to awful tackling fundamentals. Lowering head losing eye contact, leaving feet, not wrapping up, not finishing, taking bad angles, lack of awareness etc.
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2017, 02:08 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Fundamentals - a central or primary rule or principle on which something is based.

KC had a crap ton of yards after first contact last night directly linked to awful tackling fundamentals. Lowering head losing eye contact, leaving feet, not wrapping up, not finishing, taking bad angles, lack of awareness etc.

I didn't realize Taylor Mays re-signed with the Bengals.  Hilarious
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(08-20-2017, 02:01 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Damnit, I was just about to post something similar. Zimmer would not put that shit on the field. If he seen what he saw last night, bet your ass it would be fixed NOW!

Mike Zimmer is a motivator. I remember a story Vontaze Burfict's mother told about getting a phone call from Vontaze during his first training camp as a Bengal. "Mama," Vontaze said. "It's about Coach Zimmer. He's a total perfectionist and doesn't tolerate mistakes. He gets in my face and tells me to fix this or that and he always yells at me more than everyone else. I'm scared to death of that man!"

Mama Burfict knew the right answer. "That's the kind of man you want to play for, Vontaze," she responded. "He'll make you better than you know you can be. You do exactly what he teaches you to do."
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2017, 02:18 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Mike Zimmer is a motivator.  I remember a story Vontaze Burfict's mother told about getting a phone call from Vontaze during his first training camp as a Bengal.  "Mama," Vontaze said. "It's about Coach Zimmer.  He's a total perfectionist and doesn't tolerate mistakes.  He gets in my face and tells me to fix this or that and he always yells at me more than everyone else.  I'm scared to death of that man!"

Mama Burfict knew the right answer.  "That's the kind of man you want to play for, Vontaze," she responded.  "He'll make you better than you know you can be.  You do exactly what he teaches you to do."

What if the reason the Bengals haven't extended Burfict yet is because he decided he wants to become a FA next year and go play for Zimmer?  Hmm
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(08-20-2017, 02:22 PM)ochocincos Wrote: What if the reason the Bengals haven't extended Burfict yet is because he decided he wants to become a FA next year and go play for Zimmer?  Hmm

If this is the case I say congratulations to Vontaze! He could wreck the NFC North.
Reply/Quote
Guenther plays not to lose more so than to win. We're is the press coverage on the outside? Virgil actually looked good last night but I still have no idea why we signed Minter. Also we needed a Nickle DT that was our biggest need; yet we don't address it at all instead we draft a #2 WR.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2017, 02:18 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Mike Zimmer is a motivator.  I remember a story Vontaze Burfict's mother told about getting a phone call from Vontaze during his first training camp as a Bengal.  "Mama," Vontaze said. "It's about Coach Zimmer.  He's a total perfectionist and doesn't tolerate mistakes.  He gets in my face and tells me to fix this or that and he always yells at me more than everyone else.  I'm scared to death of that man!"

Mama Burfict knew the right answer.  "That's the kind of man you want to play for, Vontaze," she responded.  "He'll make you better than you know you can be.  You do exactly what he teaches you to do."

No shit? This really happened? He has a smart Momma! We have a dumb owner who let him go. Should have replaced Marvin.

Reply/Quote
(08-20-2017, 02:32 PM)J24 Wrote: Guenther  Marvin plays not to lose more so than to win. We're is the press coverage on the outside? Virgil actually looked good last night but I still have no idea why we signed Minter. Also we needed a Nickle DT that was our biggest need; yet we don't address it at all instead we draft a #2 WR.

Fixed.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(08-20-2017, 02:22 PM)ochocincos Wrote: What if the reason the Bengals haven't extended Burfict yet is because he decided he wants to become a FA next year and go play for Zimmer?  Hmm

What if Burfict has signed yet because they have yet to come to terms with management? Why throw out crazy crap? Burfict has zero control of being a free agent in 2018 as he is restricted so we just tag him. If I am LB due to injury ending career, I sure don't want a 1 year guaranteed deal.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote