Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why don't the Bengals cut players?
You see teams regularly cut players in order to get out from underneath an expensive contract to sign other players or keep their own.

I cant remember the last time the Bengals cut a player. In my opinion, its one of the great equalizers a team has in order to move on from expensive dead weight. Players get old, start to be less productive while still getting paid a lot from their contract. Cutting that players allows you to lessen the impact of this happening.

The Bengals have the same opportunity other teams have to cut players. Some guys that would make sense to cut this year in order to sign some of our other free agents (Zeitler, Dre, Whit) include:

Domata Peko
Pacman Jones
Rey Malaluga
Michael Johnson

In my opinion, the Bengals regularly hold on to guys past their primes. Look at Robert Gaethers for example. I had no idea he was even on the team for his last couple of years all while he was making a nice chunk of change.

I just don't get it. Why don't the Bengals ever cut people to free up money. It just makes too much sense. You are basically swapping out Dre Kirkpatrick (younger, better, less unstable) for Pacman.

What gives?
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
They are loyal to a fault. They pride themselves on signing "real" deals. If a guy signs a 3 year deal they try to honor all 3 years, and it is something they have used in negotiations recently as showing potential signees that they honor their deals. It's noble to an extent but does in fact hurt them at times.

I have said it before in other threads. It is not that the Bengals don't want to win, it's that they want to win their way.
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2017, 11:26 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: You see teams regularly cut players in order to get out from underneath an expensive contract in order to sign other players or keep their own.

I cant remember the last time the Bengals cut a player. In my opinion, its one of the great equalizers a team has in order to move on from expensive dead weight. Players get old, start to be less productive while still getting paid a lot from their contract. Cutting that players allows you to lessen the impact of this happening.

The Bengals have the same opportunity other teams have to cut players. Some guys that would make sense to cut this year in order to sign some of our other free agents (Zeitler, Dre, Whit) include:

Domata Peko
Pacman Jones
Rey Malaluga
Michael Johnson

In my opinion, the Bengals regularly hold on to guys past their primes. Look at Robert Gaethers for example. I had no idea he was even on the team for his last couple of years all while he was making a nice chunk of change.

I just don't get it. Why don't the Bengals ever cut people to free up money. It just makes too much sense. You are basically swapping out Dre Kirkpatrick (younger, better, less unstable) for Pacman.

What gives?

Domata Peko doesn't need to be cut. He's a FA.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
They are stupid that's the only reason.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2017, 11:43 AM)J24 Wrote: They are stupid that's the only reason.

I mean, how else do you explain it, honestly? 

Someone said they are loyal to a fault. I get that they use it in negotiations, but at what trade off? They are losing quality players while keeping crappy ones, so I really dont think thats a smart thing to do... 
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2017, 11:26 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: You see teams regularly cut players in order to get out from underneath an expensive contract to sign other players or keep their own.

Domata Peko
Pacman Jones
Rey Malaluga
Michael Johnson

What gives?
bengals structure their contracts well so they aren't having to cut players to get under the cap and most of them entering their final years have no penalty for us if cut.  So they can hold on to them till they find someone better then cut them in camp without a cap penalty.

Most people getting cut now are because the team paid them too much and trying to get out of the contract before roster bonus or workout bonuses kick in.
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2017, 12:10 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: bengals structure their contracts well so they aren't having to cut players to get under the cap and most of them entering their final years have no penalty for us if cut.  So they can hold on to them till they find someone better then cut them in camp without a cap penalty.

Most people getting cut now are because the team paid them too much and trying to get out of the contract before roster bonus or workout bonuses kick in.

Thats not a good reason to keep a bad player. Bad players should have no place on a team.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2017, 12:10 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: bengals structure their contracts well so they aren't having to cut players to get under the cap and most of them entering their final years have no penalty for us if cut.  So they can hold on to them till they find someone better then cut them in camp without a cap penalty.

I think people just want to see players like Maualuga cut now, whereas if the cut does happen, it will likely be in TC or just before the season starts.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Stubborn or stupid or both.

But an even better question- why was Rey M ever re-signed after his debacle covering tight ends in the two playoff losses to Houston?
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2017, 11:40 AM)Au165 Wrote: They are loyal to a fault. They pride themselves on signing "real" deals. If a guy signs a 3 year deal they try to honor all 3 years, and it is something they have used in negotiations recently as showing potential signees that they honor their deals. It's noble to an extent but does in fact hurt them at times.

I have said it before in other threads. It is not that the Bengals don't want to win, it's that they want to win their way.

Considering that they don't try to bring in many outside free agents, I'm not sure how much the strategy actually helps them (in theory it would).  I think they also try to use this strategy as a way of offering less guaranteed money.  Personally, if I am an NFL player at one snap away from a career ending injury at all times, I take the bigger guarantee every time.

I completely agree with you about Mike Brown wanting to win "his way".  I'm not sure if it is ego, or just complete hubris, but he has complete confidence in his abilities to run a team regardless of evidence to the contrary.
Reply/Quote
I think there is a high probability that Mauluaga and potentially also Pacman (depending on FA and Draft) are still cut this year. However, the Bengals aren't going to go and spend that money on Free Agents like they should regardless so they will wait and cut them later on. I remember them doing this with Rudi Johnson and Willie Anderson. That money went straight into Mikey boys pocket. This is sadly just how are team operates. We will re-sign Whit and Peko because they are team leaders and likely watch young core players like Zeitler and Kirk walk away a year after losing Sanu, Jones, and Nelson. But we will continue to talk about still keeping our own (on the cheap) and that is why we don't sign outside free agents. The front office really talks out of both sides of their mouth anymore when it comes to spending on in house instead of bringing in guys from the outside. The reality is they only do either of those at a decent price. No way should we let a player like Zeitler move on to another team. Offensive line was our biggest weakness this past season and he along with Whit were the only bright spots. You can't lose either of those guys and expect to be successful next season.
[Image: fadQsr.png]
Reply/Quote
I do believe Rey M will be cut this off season. I think they are waiting to get a replacement in house first, but eventually he will be cut. His snaps have been trending down and Guenther has been on record multiple times this off season saying they need to get faster and more athletic at LB.
Reply/Quote
They cut Mike Nugent. That's about the only one I can name off the top of my head that is recent.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2017, 01:29 PM)Big Boss Wrote: They cut Mike Nugent.  That's about the only one I can name off the top of my head that is recent.

BJGE right before the 2014 season started.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-07-2017, 12:43 PM)JungleRock85 Wrote: I think there is a high probability that Mauluaga and potentially also Pacman (depending on FA and Draft) are still cut this year. However, the Bengals aren't going to go and spend that money on Free Agents like they should regardless so they will wait and cut them later on. I remember them doing this with Rudi Johnson and Willie Anderson. That money went straight into Mikey boys pocket. This is sadly just how are team operates. We will re-sign Whit and Peko because they are team leaders and likely watch young core players like Zeitler and Kirk walk away a year after losing Sanu, Jones, and Nelson. But we will continue to talk about still keeping our own (on the cheap) and that is why we don't sign outside free agents. The front office really talks out of both sides of their mouth anymore when it comes to spending on in house instead of bringing in guys from the outside. The reality is they only do either of those at a decent price. No way should we let a player like Zeitler move on to another team. Offensive line was our biggest weakness this past season and he along with Whit were the only bright spots. You can't lose either of those guys and expect to be successful next season.

That doesnt make sense. Why wait? Sure you might not bring in FAs, but you could use that money to try and sign some of your own. 
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2017, 02:54 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: That doesnt make sense. Why wait? Sure you might not bring in FAs, but you could use that money to try and sign some of your own. 

I agree....it makes no sense...but that is what they do. That is our team that we chose to follow... Hilarious
[Image: fadQsr.png]
Reply/Quote
It is loyalty to a fault. The Bengals will often offer less money to players, but they guarantee that you'll see the whole length of the deal. Players and agents know that they might be cut 2 years into a 5 year deal. Then they hit the market and sign a much smaller deal. The Bengals will offer up a smaller deal for those 5 years, but the player knows that he'll most likely be here for all 5 years of the deal.

The FO also prides themselves on having very little to no dead money towards the cap.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
If like Hobspin says we are only using 15 mil to bring back our own you would think we would make that
number a little bigger by atleast cutting Maualuga, Adam and Gilberry. Don't know how much bigger the
number would be after that but this would be getting rid of deadweight while making it more likely we can
re-sign Whitworth and Burkhead and going after a few other FA's to free up the draft.

Just makes sense. Sign proven players then open up the crapshoot Draft.

Maualuge just proved he is terrible without his hair.

Adam just proved he has not learned from his prior mistakes.

Gilberry has proved he can be easily replaced.

I wouldn't cut MJ, but i would restructure his contract and keep him on as depth and insurance.

Peko we don't need to cut, just don't bring him back.
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2017, 11:26 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Domata Peko
Pacman Jones
Rey Malaluga
Michael Johnson

What gives?

Reko is a free agent.

Adam Jones is set to make $6.3 million salary this year.  Right now that has him ranked #19 among CBs.  Several other CBs are going to get more than that in free agency this year.  Adam Jones is still a good CB and will not be that grossly overpaid this year.  If you let cut him then you have $1.3 in dead money.  That means you would have to sign a better free agent CB for $5 million and that just is not going to happen.

Michael Johnson is ponly set to make $3.55 million this year.  He was a top 30 DE last season.  That makes him one of the best bargains on the team.  If you cut him you would also have $2.25 million in dead money.  It would be crazy to cut a solid starting DE to save $1.5 million.  I don't think some people understand the concept of dead money or havde any idea what other players in the league make.

It is comical that so many people are calling the Bengals "stupid" because they won't cut a DE who was top 30 in the league last year based on production to only save $1.5 million.

Maualuga's cap hit this year is $3.6 million.  I could actually see him getting released.  I think he played less than a third of the snaps last year.
Reply/Quote
Peko is coming back. Count on it. Spinmeister has already struck, writing about how he'll be in a mentoring role for Billings. Translation(from Bengal dictionary)--He will be the starter.

You want him to teach? Hire him as a coach and use whatever he would get for somebody else. This is what the term dead weight means.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote