Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why exactly do we need John Ross to be good?
I mean seriously, why does he need to be good for this offense and team in general to be good?

This offense has plenty of weapons without him. AJ Green, Tyler Boyd, Tyler Eiffert (who is healthy and is starting to play really well), Joe Mixon, Gio.

Any team would salivate to have those options. Any production from John Ross is icing on the cake as far as im concerned. Can you even name any other teams third option at wide receiver or does any team get production out of their third receiver like we expect Ross to get?

The top 5 offenses in the league are:

Tampa Bay
Pittsburgh
LA Rams
New Orleans
LA Chargers

Name the third option at wide receiver for those teams. Ill wait...

You want to know who Tampa Bay's third option at receiver is? A guy named Adam Humphries. He has 6 catches for 57 yards this year.

You can't tell me that our offensive skill players: AJ Green, Tyler Boyd, Tyler Eiffert, and Joe Mixon are that much worse (or worse at all) than Tampa Bays: Mike Evans, Deshean Jackson, OJ Howard, Peyton Barber.

My point is is that this team isn't going to be a good team based on John Ross' production. They don't need him to be good. They need other parts of their team to be good (linebackers, offensive line, defense in general) to be a good team overall.

We all need to stop bitching about Ross because at the end of the day it doesn't matter. Let's start bitching about some parts of the team that are actually going to make a difference between the Bengals winning and losing.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
Because the more good players you have, the better you are?
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I like Ross, but everytime we throw to him I get worried. Glad hes getting more touches get more comfortable but still we can't rely on him and he was a 1st round pick last year.

EDIT-not saying hes worst than the Wrs selected in the draft ahead of him lmfao
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
I don't think we need him to be good, but if he could figure it out with his speed, this offense would be unstoppable with Green, Boyd, Eifert and Mixon healthy.

Shoot all they need him to do is run deep routes to open up the underneath. Teams have to respect his spee.d
Reply/Quote
We need him not to suck n cause interceptions n turnovers n being a thorn in our side. And I think we need him to be good because we drafted him at #9 which in a normal world we would want that guy to be good at football. But Apparently in this crazy upside down world it’s okay to suck as long as the Bengals are good.
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2018, 04:10 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: We need him not to suck n cause interceptions n turnovers n being a thorn in our side.  And I think we need him to be good because we drafted him at #9 which in a normal world we would want that guy to be good at football.  But Apparently in this crazy upside down world it’s okay to suck as long as the Bengals are good.

Just dont throw him the ball. Thats how pretty much every other team treats their 5th option in the passing game... 
Reply/Quote
His presence out there helps Boyd, Eifert, and Mixon in the passing game. I agree with what your saying though that he doesn't need to have big games for us to win but we do need is speed out there.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2018, 04:17 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Just dont throw him the ball. Thats how pretty much every other team treats their 5th option in the passing game... 

The problem is.....you have to throw his way every so often to keep the defenses honest and not just ignore him.  He had a dime go right through his hands Sunday that would have been a huge gain....if not a TD.  Then you have the other plays.  I agree with what you say about us not needing him to be a stud every week, but we need some sort of production out of him at some point....and some consistency when his number IS called.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
This offense can be really good without Ross, perhaps even great ?

But with Ross really truly taking the top of defense's even if it was only like 30- 40 receptions and 5 TD's but averaging 20+ yards per catch. It could make this offense exceptional, one for the record books.
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2018, 04:17 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: His presence out there helps Boyd, Eifert, and Mixon in the passing game. I agree with what your saying though that he doesn't need to have big games for us to win but we do need is speed out there.

Why do we NEED his speed out there? Do the Steelers have a guy that has blazing speed that just opens everything up for them? Do the Chargers? They have AB and JuJu, that's comparable to AJ and Boyd in my opinion. The Bengals also have a better tight end a better running backs. Ross' speed is a luxury. If the Bengals can't figure it out with the weapons they have (excluding Ross) than that's pathetic. 
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2018, 04:40 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: This offense can be really good without Ross, perhaps even great ?

But with Ross really truly taking the top of defense's even if it was only like 30- 40 receptions and 5 TD's but averaging 20+ yards per catch. It could make this offense exceptional, one for the record books.

I can agree with this. Ross playing well does nothing but good things for this team and makes a good or great offense even better. Again though, I dont think he needs to be good or great for this offense to be good or great and for this team to win games. 
Reply/Quote
in case every ones forgotten about Tyler Boyd, he started out the same way John Ross has and look where it has gotten him today. Leave Ross alone and let him mature with the team. It seems everyone wants him to be perfect right away! He didn't play hardly at all his rookie season and a far as I am concerned is getting better and better all the time. When and IF he turns out to be a great receiver/runner, it will benefit our O greatly. Let him get comfortable!

Reply/Quote
(09-26-2018, 04:41 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Why do we NEED his speed out there? Do the Steelers have a guy that has blazing speed that just opens everything up for them? Do the Chargers? They have AB and JuJu, that's comparable to AJ and Boyd in my opinion. The Bengals also have a better tight end a better running backs. Ross' speed is a luxury. If the Bengals can't figure it out with the weapons they have (excluding Ross) than that's pathetic. 

I kinda understand your point, but I think you are underestimating how fast AB is. He is fantastic at changing speed during the game, and WILL blow by you if you don't respect it. I don't think AJ has quite that level of explosion, and doesn't use it as well. That's why he struggled without a speedster on the field. 

You want a guy like Ross to work because it opens to so much potential for your offense. Look at what the Chiefs are doing right now. It is the scariest offense I have EVER seen. So much trickery and speed, lead by Tyreek Hill. If Ross can mold into something like that, we can come closer to an offense as explosive as theirs. 

You can also look at the Patriots right now too. They got Josh Gordon because they lacked that speed, and were filled with slot guys who can't separate. They knew that if they wanted to beat the Jags in the playoffs, they need that. 
Reply/Quote
Boyd had 54 catches for 603 yds his rookie season as a number 3 option.  2017 was a bad year for him.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(09-26-2018, 03:52 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I mean seriously, why does he need to be good for this offense and team in general to be good?

This offense has plenty of weapons without him. AJ Green, Tyler Boyd, Tyler Eiffert (who is healthy and is starting to play really well), Joe Mixon, Gio.

Any team would salivate to have those options. Any production from John Ross is icing on the cake as far as im concerned. Can you even name any other teams third option at wide receiver or does any team get production out of their third receiver like we expect Ross to get?

The top 5 offenses in the league are:

Tampa Bay
Pittsburgh
LA Rams
New Orleans
LA Chargers

Name the third option at wide receiver for those teams. Ill wait...

You want to know who Tampa Bay's third option at receiver is? A guy named Adam Humphries. He has 6 catches for 57 yards this year.

You can't tell me that our offensive skill players: AJ Green, Tyler Boyd, Tyler Eiffert, and Joe Mixon are that much worse (or worse at all) than Tampa Bays: Mike Evans, Deshean Jackson, OJ Howard, Peyton Barber.

My point is is that this team isn't going to be a good team based on John Ross' production. They don't need him to be good. They need other parts of their team to be good (linebackers, offensive line, defense in general) to be a good team overall.

We all need to stop bitching about Ross because at the end of the day it doesn't matter. Let's start bitching about some parts of the team that are actually going to make a difference between the Bengals winning and losing.
We need to start Erickson in his place,but still give him some snaps.Erickson is highly UNDERRATED
Reply/Quote
You need him to be good because (a) you made him the starter and every starter needs to be productive and (b) we blew a high pick on him.

No one really cares if core is ever productive, but high picks needs to produce or you leave gaps in the team personnel (see the OL for example)
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
There can't be players on the field (non-lineman) who, if given the opportunity to have the ball, turn it over to the other team. If the defense knows Ross will not be getting the ball, he actually hurts the team being out there regardless of his speed because he's one less option they have to worry about.
"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote
Did we take John Ross in the top 10 so he could be a 3rd or later option that we can ignore? I'm not ruling out John Ross and Boyd being the #1 and #2 on this team and AJ Green taking big FA money to go elsewhere. Time will tell.
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2018, 05:10 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Did we take John Ross in the top 10 so he could be a 3rd or later option that we can ignore?  I'm not ruling out John Ross and Boyd being the #1 and #2 on this team and AJ Green taking big FA money to go elsewhere.  Time will tell.

YOU REALLY HAD TO GO AND BREAK MY HEART WITH THAT SENTENCE  :paul: :paul: :paul: :paul: :paul: :paul: :paul: :paul: :paul: :paul: 
Reply/Quote
because when you draft a WR at 9..hes expected to produce and contribute sooner than later.
your a Top.10 for a reason. and your not drafted
to be average. your drafted to be a difference maker.
more is expected of Ross than Erickson and Tate.
Ross was drafted so AJ Green wouldnt be bracketed so much. he was drafted to open up the middle so Andy can excell even more at seam routes curl in throws etc
you cant have enough speed in the NFL..but that speed is useless without having a understanding
of the game within a game...doing the little things.
if all Ross is....is a decoy then its blown pick.
and dont tell me about WR needing 3 years when Schuster...Thomas...are lighting it up from the gate
Reply/Quote