Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why exactly do we need John Ross to be good?
(09-28-2018, 12:37 PM)HuDey Wrote: I don’t see the Tyreek Hill comparison. They are both fast, but beyond that they are totally different players. Tyreek is a RB at heart and plays with that type of mindset. Ross is lost at this level and doesn’t even resemble a football player at this point. I hope he can become the weapon he was supposed to be, but for now no one is afraid.

Bingo. Just because they are built very similar and have same physical traits we can’t just assume he’s the next Tyreek Hil. It’s kinda like assuming Lebron James n Lance Stephenson are the same player because they have similar size n physical stature. Hills instincts are incredible while Ross seems like he picked up the game of football last year. We need Ross to prove us all wrong so the Bengals can make a deep push.
Reply/Quote
Ross is pressing for catches. I think on that last INT that he was just trying too hard to get open instead of trusting the route and trusting the play design.

I didn't watch him in college, but I'm guessing he made a lot of plays based on improv which doesn't work too often at this level. He needs to trust the coaching and the rest will come his way.
Reply/Quote
Bottom line we need production out of him when they throw to him. Injuries always hapoen to like last game and it would be nice if our #9 pick could step up. Theres going to be times where ross has to make plays.
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2018, 08:56 AM)ochocincos Wrote: You’re right in that as long as the offense is producing, the Bengals don’t NEED Ross to be good. However, it’s my belief that a WR taken 9 overall was not meant to be the 4th/5th option in the passing game. Speedy guys can be found late in the draft to accomplish the same as the usage right now. The Bengals could (and should) have used that pick on another position to better impact the team if they didn’t actually intend to get a lot of production out of Ross (at least by a Year 3/4).

I think though that most people (including myself) expect/prefer first round picks (especially top 10) to be solid immediate contributors, but not all are. Some develop 3-4 years in. And yes, I am one who had (still has) high hopes for Ross and thought he’d be an immediate contributor, but not only was he injured most of last year and the offseason prior, he was trying to learn a Zampese offense then a year later had to learn a Lazor offense.

Hopefully Ross comes on by the end of the year, and if not, hopefully we see him break out at the start of Year 3.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(09-28-2018, 01:46 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Remember too that Chad was said to have a struggle learning the playbook (at least in NE).

Speaking of Chad, in his first 12 games, he had only 329 yards and 1 TD. In Housh’s first 12 games, he had 228 yards and 0 TDs. They went on to have some pretty amazing years in stripes.
John Ross has only played 6 games, so I think people need to pump the breaks. Give him the rest of the year to see how he comes along.

(09-28-2018, 07:15 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I don't think Ross has developed the Pro football mentality yet, that is all.

He has a football body just as much as Tyreek Hill does. Ross is a buff dude.

Don't understand anyone saying Ross doesn't even resemble a football player at this point. Not true IMO.

I agree with everything you said after that for sure 3wt. But sometimes players need to develop that Pro football mentality.

Took awhile for Chad and Housh as Ocho shown in the direct quote above yours.

Agreed without pretty much all of this; I would also add dude has a TD and a key third down conversion that lead to another TD this season. For some reason that gets under looked

People need to relax it's only been 6 games for him and it's not like he is getting a ton of looks either.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2018, 07:10 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yeah, not every WR is AJ Green or Julio Jones that is for sure. But Ross's draft status is something some will always
talk about here. Wasn't Chad a 2nd round pick and Housh a 7th rounder? But we do need to have patience with a
young, raw, talented guy like Ross no question.

I guess i am just sick of hearing people trash Ross and want him to step it up and prove them all wrong.

Pronto, but hey, i need patience as well with this. Should have a great chance for his breakout game this weekend.

Yea, Chad was pick 36 in the 2001 draft. However, I don’t get too caught up into when they were picked because players go earlier or later than what their talent suggests they should go all the time.

Remember, Lawson and Willis were projected top 50 players in the draft and ended going in Rd 3-4. On the flip side, most analysts had Nick Vigil rated as 4th-5th rounder but Bengals took in Rd 3. We heard rumblings that it was because GB was going to take him before the Bengals could in Rd 4. I bring this up because we knew going into draft night that the Bengals liked Ross. And both Williams and Davis went off the board before pick 9, so the likelihood of Ross falling probably wasn’t likely. So given the Bengals had interest, they didn’t want to risk missing out on him and took him at 9. Even trading back could have risked missing out.

As long as a player becomes a good player in the league, it doesn’t really matter what round they were drafted.

Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2018, 02:34 AM)Jakeypoo Wrote: Agreed without pretty much all of this; I would also add dude has a TD and a key third down conversion that lead to another TD this season. For some reason that gets under looked

People need to relax it's only been 6 games for him and it's not like he is getting a ton of looks either.

Yeah, it is not like he hasn't done anything good. Eventually, with experience he should gain that Pro football mentality.

Takes awhile with most WR's. Like i said, not every top 10 WR is AJ Green or Julio Jones.

Lots of them take time and some don't ever do much.

Look at Treadwell in Minny who Zim is looking at with a furrowed brow. Kevin White in Chicago was a high pick.

Think Ross has already had more of an impact here and he is younger and with much more potential.

(09-29-2018, 09:40 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Yea, Chad was pick 36 in the 2001 draft. However, I don’t get too caught up into when they were picked because players go earlier or later than what their talent suggests they should go all the time.

Remember, Lawson and Willis were projected top 50 players in the draft and ended going in Rd 3-4. On the flip side, most analysts had Nick Vigil rated as 4th-5th rounder but Bengals took in Rd 3. We heard rumblings that it was because GB was going to take him before the Bengals could in Rd 4. I bring this up because we knew going into draft night that the Bengals liked Ross. And both Williams and Davis went off the board before pick 9, so the likelihood of Ross falling probably wasn’t likely. So given the Bengals had interest, they didn’t want to risk missing out on him and took him at 9. Even trading back could have risked missing out.

As long as a player becomes a good player in the league, it doesn’t really matter what round they were drafted.

Well as usual i agree Ocho, just saying that others get caught up in where a player is drafted, just look at the thread lol
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2018, 11:57 PM)Joelist Wrote: With Ross current problems with poor hands, incredibly bad route running and recognition skills he scares defenses not a bit. Why would he? If he can't catch he is no threat. Plus after his latest efforts if I were a QB I would refuse to target him, as he is a turnover waiting to happen.

Bench him or make him the returner and put Erickson in his spot, as at least Erickson is capable of catching the ball.

Just think this would be a monster mistake going into this game against this Defense where he could breakout.

Definately needs to start running through is routes and catching the ball no question and he is on a short leash.

We will see on Sunday if he starts coming around, i think he will.

(09-29-2018, 12:16 AM)BengalChris Wrote: It's all about the football mentality. That's like 90% of the game. How many times have we seen a guy, with lessor physical traits, just be a damn good football player. Physical traits don't make the football player, it's the approach to the game and understanding it and the love of contact. Yeah, you've gotta be big enough and fast enough, but if the guy doesn't know where he's going and isn't 100% certain about that, then someone else is going to beat him there no matter how much faster he is.

Take Burfict for example. There has to be 90 LBs out there who can beat him in the 40, but he'll beat most of them to where the balls going to be.

I hope Ross does well. I really, really do. But until he actually does it in games that count he's going to be the guy who isn't doing it. Only he can change that. Every game counts for a lot. Every drive counts for a lot. So Ross is going to have to gain the coaches confidence to see the field much. We can't throw to him to get him going when we are behind and he's f'n it up.

I agree with everything you say here Chris, just saying it takes time with most every player to get that football mentality.
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2018, 03:11 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I agree with everything you say here Chris, just saying it takes time with most every player to get that football mentality.

I know. Some people take longer to get it than others do. And I'm sure everyone of the fans would like him to get it.

Reply/Quote
(09-27-2018, 01:45 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: Are we still with Ross is basically still a Rookie again. Fml
That is the only way to look at it.  He didn't play his first year due to injuries, so he is just now in his first games looking very much like a rookie. Way too early to give up on #1 pick.  Here is the good news.  AJ Green and Boyd in first 3 games are both doing great so far in 2018.  Boyd is no surprise.  He was a big draft pick and came on strong in 2017, huge game winning TD to beat Ravens end of season.  Boyd has to be the #2 WR in 2018.  Green and Boyd are doing great. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2018, 09:47 AM)kevin Wrote: That is the only way to look at it.  He didn't play his first year due to injuries, so he is just now in his first games looking very much like a rookie. Way too early to give up on #1 pick.  Here is the good news.  AJ Green and Boyd in first 3 games are both doing great so far in 2018.  Boyd is no surprise.  He was a big draft pick and came on strong in 2017, huge game winning TD to beat Ravens end of season.  Boyd has to be the #2 WR in 2018.  Green and Boyd are doing great. 

It doesn't matter how many games a player has missed. If they're with a professional team, in meetings, on the practice field, etc etc, after their first year, they are not rookies anymore. Not in any way, shape or form.

"Still basically a rookie" is just an excuse.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
I started him in fantasy, he is bound to be a star today Ninja
Reply/Quote
The other problem not mentioned when you dive into "he's basically a rookie" type talk.

Then they perhaps become a high round pick player doesn't start showing life until years into their career or end of their contract.

Players that have this happen make it tough for a team to decide whether or not to pay/retain them to see if they're worth it!
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
So.... can we sideline the Ross hate for a week? Wink
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2018, 06:13 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: So.... can we sideline the Ross hate for a week? Wink

Absolutely. He tried to play through his injury, and burned that defense on his touchdown. And made a nice sideline catch.

He’s more than just a fast guy. Dude can ball.
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2018, 06:13 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: So.... can we sideline the Ross hate for a week?  Wink

Welp...  I think Boyd will deservedly get more love than John.

Is that considered hate? Tongue
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2018, 06:13 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: So.... can we sideline the Ross hate for a week?  Wink

Dude made two great plays today.  On that TD, if that's a 4.4 WR, he's making a contested catch with the S and getting tackled short of the goal line at best.  That sideline grab also seemed to help the offense settle down a bit after the Eifert injury.  Now, he needs to build off this and start chaining performances like this together.
Reply/Quote

Yeah, as long as he's healthy enough to play next week.  Ninja

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2018, 04:10 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: We need him not to suck n cause interceptions n turnovers n being a thorn in our side.  And I think we need him to be good because we drafted him at #9 which in a normal world we would want that guy to be good at football.  But Apparently in this crazy upside down world it’s okay to suck as long as the Bengals are good.

Okay..............think of a HIGH pick as a TICKET to the top..   How's it look?   Well,Ced Og looks doubtful. Dre K?  okay but overpriced . Fisher?  Not  sure, Dennard? okay but no star. Jackson? Okay HE is so good they do not pass toward him.   Eifert?  When HEALTHY (which ain't often) VERY good. However he has been okay about 1/3 of the time.  NOW Eifort is AGAIN done

ROSS? He just had a pretty nice game. GREAT.  We NEED our HIGH PICKS to DO STUFF.  Actually.....we need MORE.   Ross is FAST.   More like Bob Hayes than Fred Billetnikoff. odd how that concept was not clear.  Whatever.  It is VITAL to make EVERY high pick a BIG PLUS.
Reply/Quote