Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Why is Joe Mixon under appreciated?
(12-12-2023, 01:04 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: I'll buy into this theory if anybody can show me plays where Mixon wasn't running hard a few weeks ago. 

Don't show me stats . . . show me video. If you don't have video, give me the plays. I have every snap of Joe Mixon's NFL career available to me on NFL plus.

Vinyl it's one of those things in football like is nearly always the case with whatever issue, there's many peels on this onion. Am I saying Mixon has always, on every play, not given max effort? NO 

I'm just saying for whatever reasons? He, as the saying goes, has "taken plays off". There have been plays where he doesn't take what's given, he's looking for the homerun. There's many plays when he seems to go down very easily. 

Has it been because he's pissed JB keeps changing out of runs on RPO's ? I dunno Has it been because he knows the gameplan doesn't involve running much ? I dunno Has it been because he's been dinged up ? I dunno Has he been pissed at Oline for him getting killed by 3 defenders meeting him in the backfield ? I dunno

But it just sure seems he's running much harder here latley
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2023, 01:26 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Barry Sanders played on some very craptacular Lions teams, he still managed to shine.  I'm just saying that you 'excusing' Mixon's career subpar performance numbers because of his teammates is pretty weak sauce.

Weak sauce? I'm not the one comparing him to a HOF RB. That's f###ing weak sauce. It would be great to have HOFers at every position but it's not a reality. 

What position group is widely viewed as the weakest on the team for the last few years?
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2023, 01:32 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: Weak sauce? I'm not the one comparing him to a HOF RB. That's f###ing weak sauce. It would be great to have HOFers at every position but it's not a reality. 

What position group is widely viewed as the weakest on the team for the last few years?

You are the one trying to excuse his performance as being the fault of his teammates, all I did was bring up the first example of a RB who was able to get it done on a team with less than stellar talent around him.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2023, 01:27 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Vinyl it's one of those things in football like is nearly always the case with whatever issue, there's many peels on this onion. Am I saying Mixon has always, on every play, not given max effort? NO 

I'm just saying for whatever reasons? He, as the saying goes, has "taken plays off". There have been plays where he doesn't take what's given, he's looking for the homerun. There's many plays when he seems to go down very easily. 

Has it been because he's pissed JB keeps changing out of runs on RPO's ? I dunno Has it been because he knows the gameplan doesn't involve running much ? I dunno Has it been because he's been dinged up ? I dunno Has he been pissed at Oline for him getting killed by 3 defenders meeting him in the backfield ? I dunno

Well, that's fine if you feel that way, maybe you're seeing something I'm not, that's why I asked for video.

And I wasn't calling you out, I'm asking ANYONE. I've read this ''trying harder" comment by multiple posters and I have no idea where this is coming from.
Only users lose drugs.
Reply/Quote
When the O-line improved, so did his stats.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(12-12-2023, 01:36 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: You are the one trying to excuse his performance as being the fault of his teammates, all I did was bring up the first example of a RB who was able to get it done on a team with less than stellar talent around him.

OK

What's the worst position group on this team over the last few years?
Only users lose drugs.
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2023, 01:27 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Vinyl it's one of those things in football like is nearly always the case with whatever issue, there's many peels on this onion. Am I saying Mixon has always, on every play, not given max effort? NO 

I think this is a bad take. Mixon has never shown anything but a great team attitude. I have watched every snap this year and do not feel like he was taking any plays off. I also think we focus a little too much on the Pittsburgh game as far as comparing our run game from before to now. Mixon avg 4.4 ypc after the 1st 2 games he avg over 5 ypc against the 49ers. Obviously he has had some inconsistency of poor production games. Oddly enough alot of his poor production games are our wins so curious if there is a correlation as a far as how he's used at the end of game perhaps.
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2023, 01:40 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: OK

What's the worst position group on this team over the last few years?

The topic is why is Joe Mixon under appreciated.  I gave my opinion as it being because he often has complete streaks of games where he is virtually ineffective.  Not sure why you want to turn it into some Joe Mixon apologist tribute by deflecting his shortcomings as being the fault of his teammates, but ok.  Carry on..

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
[Image: GBKU9iVaMAAkYEY?format=jpg&name=4096x4096]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2023, 02:09 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: The topic is why is Joe Mixon under appreciated.  I gave my opinion as it being because he often has complete streaks of games where he is virtually ineffective.  Not sure why you want to turn it into some Joe Mixon apologist tribute by deflecting his shortcomings as being the fault of his teammates, but ok.  Carry on..

It is curious. That we are all so quick to point out the OL in terms of Burrow. But with maybe RBs in general they are expected to perform wether they have a good OL or not. I think it does fit into the appreciation category. Why do we give one position group the excuse and not another? They both rely on the same group.
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2023, 02:15 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: It is curious. That we are all so quick to point out the OL in terms of Burrow. But with maybe RBs in general they are expected to perform wether they have a good OL or not. I think it does fit into the appreciation category. Why do we give one position group the excuse and not another? They both rely on the same group.

because Perine was more efficient behind the same OL

It's because you are of such profound wisdom, Frank Booth. - SunsetBengal
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2023, 02:09 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: The topic is why is Joe Mixon under appreciated.  I gave my opinion as it being because he often has complete streaks of games where he is virtually ineffective.  Not sure why you want to turn it into some Joe Mixon apologist tribute by deflecting his shortcomings as being the fault of his teammates, but ok.  Carry on..

You're accusing me of deflecting . . . That's hilarious. I gave my opinion that it's been the fault of the worst position group on the team for the last few years more than Mixon's fault. This is a team sport and it's not like you're ever on here defending the great work of Frank Pollack.

My main defense of Mixon the last couple of weeks is from reading all of these posts and stat geeks sound exactly like the posters that wanted Rudi run out of town while he was setting team records. ''Doesn't have that extra burst'' or ''Never breaks the big one'' or ''isn't one of the top RBs''. Everybody was soooo excited to have Chris Perry as the starter because he could hit the hole much faster. Yeah, that worked out great 

Now, a guy that has barely played due to injury should replace Mixon behind a below average o-line. The same guy that, early in the 4th quarter of the Jags game, took the ball out of Jake Browning's hands on an RPO by mistake because he doesn't quite know the system. He didn't take a snap again until OT when they knew that they were going to run. Other than that, it was Traveon spelling Mixon.
Only users lose drugs.
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2023, 03:29 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: because Perine was more efficient behind the same OL

You can't hurt your ypc if they don't trust and give you the ball in short yardage. So there is that. Also Samaje never came close to Mixons carries and it seemed to trend that the more carries he got his ypc went down. So there is that as well. 
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2023, 04:15 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: You can't hurt your ypc if they don't trust and give you the ball in short yardage. So there is that. Also Samaje never came close to Mixons carries and it seemed to trend that the more carries he got his ypc went down. So there is that as well. 

Just looking at the 3 years that Perine was with the Bengals 2020-2022, Perine averaged 4.42/carry on 213 carries while Mixon averaged 3.94/carry on 621 carries.  Perine achieved a half yard/carry better behind the same OL.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2023, 04:23 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Just looking at the 3 years that Perine was with the Bengals 2020-2022, Perine averaged 4.42/carry on 213 carries while Mixon averaged 3.94/carry on 621 carries.  Perine achieved a half yard/carry better behind the same OL.

Okay. But as I pointed out Mixon still handles the majority of the short yardage carries and hurts his ypc in doing so. But let's just say yes Perine was more effective here his running style better suited our scheme for whatever reason. Mixon has the higher potential than Perine and has hit a higher ceiling than Perine. It would make sense to focus on getting Mixon in a scheme that suits him more. Why did we not sign Perine? Why did he get such a cheap contract from the Broncos?
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2023, 04:30 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: Okay. But as I pointed out Mixon still handles the majority of the short yardage carries and hurts his ypc in doing so. But let's just say yes Perine was more effective here his running style better suited our scheme for whatever reason. Mixon has the higher potential than Perine and has hit a higher ceiling than Perine. It would make sense to focus on getting Mixon in a scheme that suits him more. Why did we not sign Perine? Why did he get such a cheap contract from the Broncos?

Nonsense, just because it's 3rd and 2 does not mean he needs to fall down at exactly 2.01 yards..  The only way his average really takes a hit it when they try 3 times to slam it in at the goal line, and in that case he should have made it on the first try.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2023, 04:23 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Just looking at the 3 years that Perine was with the Bengals 2020-2022, Perine averaged 4.42/carry on 213 carries while Mixon averaged 3.94/carry on 621 carries.  Perine achieved a half yard/carry better behind the same OL.

I also have to point out because it's obvious and makes a difference. In those 3 years of Perine he didn't even come close to the amount of carries had in one of those years. So all 3 of his years didn't carry the same amount ad Mixon in 1 year. 
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2023, 04:33 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Nonsense, just because it's 3rd and 2 does not mean he needs to fall down at exactly 2.01 yards..  The only way his average really takes a hit it when they try 3 times to slam it in at the goal line, and in that case he should have made it on the first try.

Watch football. Seriously give it a try. It gets hard to run down by the goal line. All RBs struggle at the goal line. Just this last game Mixon had 5 carries for 4 yds in a goal to go situation. 
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2023, 04:46 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: Watch football. Seriously give it a try. It gets hard to run down by the goal line. All RBs struggle at the goal line. Just this last game Mixon had 5 carries for 4 yds in a goal to go situation. 

Saquon Barkley had no trouble taking it in from the 5 last night, and the Giants have an OL that is considered quite poor by most.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2023, 04:50 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Saquon Barkley had no trouble taking it in from the 5 last night, and the Giants have an OL that is considered quite poor by most.

Okay. I'm sorry. All RBs have a hard time running in around the goal line consistently. Key word consistently. Yes some will get run right in on 1 play. Some will go all 4 downs and be a turnover on downs.
Reply/Quote