Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Why is Joe Mixon under appreciated?
(12-14-2023, 03:35 PM)Synric Wrote: Nothing in this post has anything to do with RYOE. It's a stat that takes play design, defense formation, and player tracking to measure how many yards a RB creates for himself. For his career Mixon has pretty much gotten what's blocked for him and that's all.

Does anyone think some of these stats can be convoluted? I mean does some just look up the productivity of a back and then make up a stat that appears to show the wanted result. I guess you could look at a wide zone play look at the defensive formation and say it should go x amount of yards. But not take into account that the blockers or running back don't fit well in the wide zone. 

A other stat someone threw out that had me wondering. They said Mixons yards before contact has continued to go up but his yards after contact have continued to go down and this shows his regression. Which not saying he hasn't regressed with age. But does the percentage of shotgun runs going up account for this? I'm just wondering on the yards before contact part as this seems to not only fit but I don't feel watching Bengals games that he has any kind of increase of yards before contact. The yards after I'm sure he has dropped some with age but still seems like a very murky stat.
Reply/Quote
(12-14-2023, 03:44 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: What is the Vikes run blocking rank again? Jax was top 5 and we ran on them pretty well...

Where do people keep seeing that Jax is top 5? I really just use my fantasy app which is all about pts to RBs which doesn't have to be all rushing. But they had Jax as middle of the pack as pts allowed and the Vikes are top 5 right at 5 to be exact.
Reply/Quote
(12-14-2023, 03:52 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: Where do people keep seeing that Jax is top 5? I really just use my fantasy app which is all about pts to RBs which doesn't have to be all rushing. But they had Jax as middle of the pack as pts allowed and the Vikes are top 5 right at 5 to be exact.

I heard it from the commentators in the game and BF74 said that Jax was ranked 4th against the run before our game.
Reply/Quote
(12-14-2023, 03:54 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I heard it from the commentators in the game and BF74 said that Jax was ranked 4th against the run before our game.

Yeah I just quickly looked at they're games box scores just now. They do appear to be pretty good really only a couple of bad games against the run from them. The vikings do appear to be a little better though and I assume will be a tough test to run against. Really not many good rushing teams this year.
Reply/Quote
(12-14-2023, 03:54 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I heard it from the commentators in the game and BF74 said that Jax was ranked 4th against the run before our game.

On ESPN's NFL team stats site they had the 4th fewest overall yards rushing allowed. There's a million ways you can break stats down. Just going by that they were 4th.

And like you said the announcing crew mentioned how good they were vs. run prior to our game. I think they said something like "one of the top teams vs. run"
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-14-2023, 04:03 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: Yeah I just quickly looked at they're games box scores just now. They do appear to be pretty good really only a couple of bad games against the run from them. The vikings do appear to be a little better though and I assume will be a tough test to run against. Really not many good rushing teams this year.

Yep, the Vikings will be tough to run on, but with the way Chase Brown gets up to speed so fast, the OL won't have to hold
their blocks for long. Hope to see a lot of Chase Brown in this game. Nothing against Mixon but he takes a bit to get going, 
not near as quick as Brown.

(12-14-2023, 04:06 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: On ESPN's NFL team stats site they had the 4th fewest overall yards rushing allowed. There's a million ways you can break stats down. Just going by that they were 4th.

And like you said the announcing crew mentioned how good they were vs. run prior to our game. I think they said something like "one of the top teams vs. run"

Thanks brother, I heard the same. Regardless, that is a good run Defense and we ran pretty well against them, especially Brown.
Reply/Quote
(12-14-2023, 04:48 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yep, the Vikings will be tough to run on, but with the way Chase Brown gets up to speed so fast, the OL won't have to hold
their blocks for long. Hope to see a lot of Chase Brown in this game. Nothing against Mixon but he takes a bit to get going, 
not near as quick as Brown.

Thanks brother, I heard the same. Regardless, that is a good run Defense and we ran pretty well against them, especially Brown.

Mixon was 3.8 ypc and Brown only 3.1
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(12-14-2023, 11:26 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Mixon was 3.8 ypc and Brown only 3.1

Looks like Mixon hit right on his average for this year last week.

But over the season it is Mixon 3.8 and Brown 4.8. 

Over the last 2 weeks its been Mixon 3.7 and Brown 4.9 

Looks like you just cherry picked one game and left out the 2nd fastest TD in the NFL this season on Browns screen pass. Faster than Tyreek Hill even, which is incredible and means they need to get Brown the ball more in space. 

Chase and Chase will be fun to watch for years to come I believe. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Mixon is a great receiver.

But doesn't look like Chase Brown is a bad receiver at all either.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2023, 07:54 AM)Go Cards Wrote: Looks like Mixon hit right on his average for this year last week.

Looks like you just cherry picked one game and left out the 2nd fastest TD in the NFL this season on Browns screen pass. Faster than Tyreek Hill even, which is incredible and means they need to get Brown the ball more in space. 

I did not cherry pick that is negatory. Nate was talking about the Colts. So I posted that games results.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(12-15-2023, 07:54 AM)Go Cards Wrote: Looks like Mixon hit right on his average for this year last week.

I did not cherry pick that is negatory. Nate was talking about the Colts. So I posted that.

Reply/Quote
(12-14-2023, 11:26 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Mixon was 3.8 ypc and Brown only 3.1

In the Jags game?

Don't think so.

(12-15-2023, 07:54 AM)Go Cards Wrote: Looks like Mixon hit right on his average for this year last week.

Yeah, very excited for the future of Chase and Chase. Hitting the 2nd fastest speed in the NFL is insane and shows Brown
is extremely fast in pads. And yes, he has good hands, honestly the only thing that ever concerned me with Chase Brown
was his ball security in college. He can learn from Mixon in this area who is great in ball security.

(12-15-2023, 09:50 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: I did not cherry pick that is negatory. Nate was talking about the Colts. So I posted that.

I was actually talking about the Jaguars who were 4th against the run before we played them.
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2023, 02:11 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: In the Jags game?

Don't think so.

Yeah, very excited for the future of Chase and Chase. Hitting the 2nd fastest speed in the NFL is insane and shows Brown
is extremely fast in pads. And yes, he has good hands, honestly the only thing that ever concerned me with Chase Brown
was his ball security in college. He can learn from Mixon in this area who is great in ball security.

I was actually talking about the Jaguars who were 4th against the run before we played them.

I thought you were talking about the Colts game.

Reply/Quote
(12-15-2023, 02:15 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: I thought you were talking about the Colts game.

Nah, the better run stopping team is who I was talking about in the Jags. In the Colts game it was the pass blocking that was 
so impressive as the Colts are a top pass rushing team.
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2023, 02:11 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: In the Jags game?

Don't think so.

Sometimes that can be a little misleading, is it because the jags usually get out to a quick lead on most teams they play forcing them to abandon the run and pass to catch up? How they fare vs the run in close games is a better indicator of their Run Defense.
Reply/Quote
.Mixon continues to score TDs, catch crucial passes and not fumble... who dey
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2023, 10:04 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: .
.Mixon continues to score TDs, catch crucial passes and not fumble... who dey

True. Props to him for that huge TD run where the guy had a clean shot at him (wasn’t that 4th down, too?). Huge play by Mixon. He is not a guy who’s going to break the long runs but he and Chase make a good RB combo.
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2023, 07:03 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: 4.1 ypa is bad. Im sorry

I wouldn't say outright "bad", but below average, yes. These days, anyway.

Fun fact, from 1932 to 2010, the league average per carry never touched 4.3.

From 2011 to present, the league has averaged at least 4.3 a total of 7 times.

With all the tackling rules, etc, we should expect better than 4.1.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Mixon is currently 5th overall in the NFL in rushing with 815 yards. Just think what he’d have with 20 carries a game instead of 10.
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2023, 01:26 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Barry Sanders played on some very craptacular Lions teams, he still managed to shine.  I'm just saying that you 'excusing' Mixon's career subpar performance numbers because of his teammates is pretty weak sauce.

So back to this one . . .  why do you think that they threw on 4th and 1 inside the 5 yard line instead of running it?

Do you think that the Bengals coaching staff had no faith in Joe Mixon picking up one yard or that they had no faith in the offensive line to either a) get a push, or b) open a hole?

I'm going to go with no faith in the offensive line.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote