Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Why is there a narrative that the OLine is horrible?
They cant run block at all. That’s a real issue
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2022, 07:10 PM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: They cant run block at all. That’s a real issue

Watch that drive in the 4th quarter, the one where they handed the ball to Perine like 8 times in a row, with the entire defense knowing it was coming.  Mixon isn't helping the run blocking grades, as he's obviously going through some sort of "moment" lately, as he fails to simply hit the hole and take it for what it's worth.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2022, 07:26 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Watch that drive in the 4th quarter, the one where they handed the ball to Perine like 8 times in a row, with the entire defense knowing it was coming.  Mixon isn't helping the run blocking grades, as he's obviously going through some sort of "moment" lately, as he fails to simply hit the hole and take it for what it's worth.

Mixon is part of it, but they were overloading the line. I know it doesn’t always work but that seems like the only way to run effectively
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2022, 07:26 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Watch that drive in the 4th quarter, the one where they handed the ball to Perine like 8 times in a row, with the entire defense knowing it was coming.  Mixon isn't helping the run blocking grades, as he's obviously going through some sort of "moment" lately, as he fails to simply hit the hole and take it for what it's worth.

I just don't think Mixon is all that. On top of that, he's in his 6th season. He's been a bellcow for 4 of them. The decline seems to begin somewhere around there.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2022, 07:33 PM)jason Wrote: I just don't think Mixon is all that. On top of that, he's in his 6th season. He's been a bellcow for 4 of them. The decline seems to begin somewhere around there.

I don't think that he's "worn out" just yet, I suspect that he's just gotten away from what has gotten him to this point by thinking that with "one more move", he'll be able to break one to the house.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
The O-line played better but still not there yet. Remember that the Jets only had 3 sacks on the year before the Bengals game.

Still just feel the team was not ready to play at the seasons start and was still on cloud 9 from all the praise heaped upon them all offseason.

They'll get it going I have no doubt, just got to hope those 1st two losses are not haunting later.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
But on Mixon I screamed all offseason about drafting a stud RB or bringing in a FA and not one person on here agreed.

Luckily Perrine looks like he is much better this year and hope to see him continue running behind his pads.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
I'm pretty stoked that we can provide the footage for the Micah Parsons' pregame celebration for this Monday Night game
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
I don't want to make another thread so I'll ask the question here....

Is the Wide Zone Scheme the issue? Is Pollock trying to fit a round peg into a square hole?
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2022, 08:49 PM)QueenCity Wrote: I don't want to make another thread so I'll ask the question here....

Is the Wide Zone Scheme the issue? Is Pollock trying to fit a round peg into a square hole?

After seeing us go nowhere with Mixon and stretch plays always trying to turn the corner a la Todd Gurley on the McVey Rams then seeing us switch to Perine and switch the scheme to good old fashioned power run blocking and running right to the RG-RT hole and suddenly its effective you have to wonder. 
Reply/Quote
I only watched the first two games, but I did not see all these holes that Mixon was supposedly missing.

I saw poor run blocking.
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2022, 09:25 PM)Joelist Wrote: After seeing us go nowhere with Mixon and stretch plays always trying to turn the corner a la Todd Gurley on the McVey Rams then seeing us switch to Perine and switch the scheme to good old fashioned power run blocking and running right to the RG-RT hole and suddenly its effective you have to wonder. 

After the first game there was a thread complaining about how every run was up the middle.
Reply/Quote
The narrative exists because they had a very poor first two games, particularly on the outsides, which is most noticeable. You can point out that Mixon dances around too much, and Burrow holds onto the ball too long, and there may be some truths to those arguments, but those being a problem will be less obvious to the casual fan.

Still…they had a terrible start to the year, regardless of if all of the issues were on them or not. I fully expect them to improve considerably as the season goes on though.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

Reply/Quote
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2022, 11:40 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote:

Collins is actually a good pass protector because he really hasn’t given up many sacks

Ninja Ninja
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2022, 11:42 AM)Frank Booth Wrote: Collins is actually a good pass protector because he really hasn’t given up many sacks

Ninja Ninja

It has him ranked 44.8. Where do you get that's good?
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2022, 11:42 AM)Frank Booth Wrote: Collins is actually a good pass protector because he really hasn’t given up many sacks

Ninja Ninja

What's he supposed to do in pass protection?
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2022, 11:44 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: It has him ranked 44.8. Where do you get that's good?

Ask sled
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2022, 07:29 PM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: Mixon is part of it, but they were overloading the line. I know it doesn’t always work but that seems like the only way to run effectively

Plus the D was trying to strip the ball several times. Some posters thinks I'm not giving them any credit but it happens plenty in the NFL. I saw it and Boomer commented on it. It's far easier to run the ball when defenders are punching the ball and tackling with little leverage. Jets were down 2 scores with a couple TO's and the Jets offense was not good so they had to try to get a TO. That gave the OL confidence.

Look, they still got the job done and I like Perrine as he's quicker to the hole than Mixon and runs with a much lower center of gravity and I like a RB room that gives more than one RB carries as a change of pace. Plus, who doesn't like a RB that ran for over 400 yards in a single game at the highest collegiate level.
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2022, 11:44 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: It has him ranked 44.8. Where do you get that's good?

I don't put much faith in PFF's ratings because they don't make sense to me, they are not consistent with how they grade players vs. the eye test. There's little argument Collins blew in the 1st two games. Against NYJ, his opponent did not get on the stat sheet. No sacks, no hurries. What else do you want him to do? All I'm saying is instead of writing him off as a bust 2 games into the season he's playing with a new line and a hurt back, let's see how he does. Week 3 was good, I don't care what PFF says, he did his job. Why take away from that? So someone can say "I knew he would suck?"
Reply/Quote