Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trump trashes election rival: Evan McMullin
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/onpolitics/2016/10/30/donald-trump-evan-mcmullin-utah-mike-pence-hillary-clinton/93004996/

Quote:Donald Trump has added a new name to his political hit list: Independent candidate Evan McMullin, who is in position to possibly win the normally Republican state of Utah or throw its electoral votes to Democrat Hillary Clinton.

"Now if for some reason we lose Utah, that could have a very devastating impact on the overall," Trump told Fox News. "If they go enough for this character that's running all over the state, and we lose the state of Utah, that's devastating.”
Running mate Mike Pence has also jumped on the anti-McMullin bandwagon, telling For that "nobody ever heard of him."
[url=https://adclick.g.doubleclick.net/pcs/click?xai=AKAOjssOzcmdKwE2LTOL_M-D2MKTqA2T0NshtEFQ1KqddibmfBTHps9M6RxCI10uPqOKurNx8Y8UtRlSM-IchFtDUSC0UBiG_nyGC-DSrN3Gn84nMsXsZ5_6fyC5msvC91f7niwomvXduf0U0SU97A4d8vz53vqlu5WpBGoXcFN59idJbcKyK0HqeQNlbVh5Q2Djg-Y3ouEFNtXrNQPYsRjFoUqUWlXxuRyB5IJjXfRXj1MZpxkfWGIchxFz7WT7reUxTe9n-ijSa7TRfaD3Z3_sIyXwB8JEhzgbo9fcWAKGtfsiNA&sig=Cg0ArKJSzIumkTewC_SqEAE&urlfix=1&adurl=http://www.usatoday.com/story/sponsor-story/hyatt/2016/09/12/football-opera-unstoppable-morris-robinson-beating-odds/90278120/][/url]
Polls show that McMullin, a Utah native, is in a tight three-person race with Trump and Clinton.

McMullin, a former CIA operative, businessman, and congressional aide, is happy to fire back at Trump via Twitter.

"Yes you’ve never heard of me because while you were harassing women at beauty pageants, I was fighting terrorists abroad," he said in one post. In another tweet, McMullin said: "You're an authoritarian, life-long liberal who disrespects life, liberty, & equality."
Utah has only six electoral votes, but Trump has a narrow path to victory and will probably need every electoral vote he can get to prevail.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
This does nothing but help McMullin. I would love to see him win Utah, even if it meant increasing the Teflon Dawn's chances to remodel the White House again.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(10-30-2016, 03:38 PM)bfine32 Wrote: This does nothing but help McMullin. I would love to see him win Utah, even if it meant increasing the Teflon Dawn's chances to remodel the White House again.

Pretty much. Trump's best move was to ignore McMullin. By even bringing him up he will cause people to notice him which will have a result of people going "hey, an actual Republican!"
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
McMullin would have been a good GOP candidate. He's the kind of guy that gets support at the local/state level: conservative, not a conventional politician, young white male, pretty average background.

Why the party powers that be go away from that model that's won them a good number of seats in Congress, governor mansions and state senates, in favor of older, out of touch, rich guys is beyond me.
(11-01-2016, 11:47 AM)Benton Wrote: McMullin would have been a good GOP candidate. He's the kind of guy that gets support at the local/state level: conservative, not a conventional politician, young white male, pretty average background.

Why the party powers that be go away from that model that's won them a good number of seats in Congress, governor mansions and state senates, in favor of older, out of touch, rich guys is beyond me.

It wasn't the party powers, though. The electorate nominated Trump.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(11-01-2016, 12:19 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: It wasn't the party powers, though. The electorate nominated Trump.

So we can blame angry white people?  Ninja
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(11-01-2016, 12:19 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: It wasn't the party powers, though. The electorate nominated Trump.

Valid point. But look at the short list of candidates the last few elections.

Romney. Gingrich. Huntsman. Cain. Trump. Bush. Huckabee. Fiorina.

Sprinkle in the far right religious guys who never have much of a chance (no, really Ted, you never had a chance) and that's who the party trots out. Not moderates or actual conservatives like Mullin, just whatever 1%er who thinks dollars equate to popularity points, or religious whackos (yes, Ben, that's you, and no, you never had a chance either).
(11-01-2016, 03:04 PM)Benton Wrote: Valid point. But look at the short list of candidates the last few elections.

Romney. Gingrich. Huntsman. Cain. Trump. Bush. Huckabee. Fiorina.

Sprinkle in the far right religious guys who never have much of a chance (no, really Ted, you never had a chance) and that's who the party trots out. Not moderates or actual conservatives like Mullin, just whatever 1%er who thinks dollars equate to popularity points, or religious whackos (yes, Ben, that's you, and no, you never had a chance either).

I mentioned this in another thread, but I don't think the party elites are ready to concede power to the new breed. McMullin represents the direction of the GOP in the future, but the old guard isn't ready to relinquish their grip that much to give serious credence to someone of the new guard to be a POTUS candidate.

(11-01-2016, 03:37 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I mentioned this in another thread, but I don't think the party elites are ready to concede power to the new breed. McMullin represents the direction of the GOP in the future, but the old guard isn't ready to relinquish their grip that much to give serious credence to someone of the new guard to be a POTUS candidate.

You could be right. And I honestly haven't given it much thought. But if you are, they better be prepared to look at a future in the minority of federal offices. Their latest tantrum over SCOTUS nominations isn't helping their appearance of 'we got ours, piss off.' If another justice steps down or passes while Clinton is in office and they've got two empty seats, if costs keep going up and jobs stay flat, it's just going to look more and more like they aren't willing to do much of anything because they're too busy playing politics.

Voter demographics are changing, for both sides. People are less inclined to take what their pastor or union rep tells them and punch a straight ticket. Dems are trying too hard to reflect that and the Repubs are still hanging on to playbooks from nearly a century ago.
(11-01-2016, 12:24 PM)GMDino Wrote: So we can blame angry white people?  Ninja
Don't forget the scared ones !

Darn BLM and assorted brown people !

Side note: I think I would've liked a Rep. ticket of Paul/McCullen.