Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Why no Dax Hill?
(09-25-2022, 08:51 PM)jj22 Wrote: Not even in a "blowout"....

Kind of surprised 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
The Bengals have a fine history of redshirting rookies.
Reply/Quote
Anarmo sheltering him isn't doing him any favors. Blowing a coverage here and there only effects mentally weak players. Let him grow and make mistakes.
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2022, 10:38 PM)NotBigzo Wrote: Anarmo sheltering him isn't doing him any favors. Blowing a coverage here and there only effects mentally weak players. Let him grow and make mistakes.

I was looking extra hard at specific packages we ran and sadly i just don’t think there’s a spot to squeeze Hill in at.

We want him tried out at that sub linebacker spot but you can’t really do that on 1st or 2nd down or 3rd and short because he’s just not gonna make plays against the run. So the only SAFE spot to play him at is 3rd and long where you kinda know for a fact they are passing.

So let’s say we get a team into 3rd and 10+. Who are you taking off the field to get Dax on? Your only choice has to be Eli Apple but as a poster told me earlier this week, Dax has NO reps at boundary corner. And with Vonn Bell playing this well you sure as shit aren’t benching Bell for him.

There just isn’t a spot to get him in at. Personally he’d be my dime corner over Flowers, and I’d probably try him at boundary corner but I’d probably be a shitty coach so that means nothing.
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2022, 11:18 PM)Housh Wrote: I was looking extra hard at specific packages we ran and sadly i just don’t think there’s a spot to squeeze Hill in at.

We want him tried out at that sub linebacker spot but you can’t really do that on 1st or 2nd down or 3rd and short because he’s just not gonna make plays against the run. So the only SAFE spot to play him at is 3rd and long where you kinda know for a fact they are passing.

So let’s say we get a team into 3rd and 10+. Who are you taking off the field to get Dax on? Your only choice has to be Eli Apple but as a poster told me earlier this week, Dax has NO reps at boundary corner. And with Vonn Bell playing this well you sure as shit aren’t benching Bell for him.

There just isn’t a spot to get him in at. Personally he’d be my dime corner over Flowers, and I’d probably try him at boundary corner but I’d probably be a shitty coach so that means nothing.

[Image: FrenchWellinformedBlacklab-max-1mb.gif]
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(09-25-2022, 11:18 PM)Housh Wrote: There just isn’t a spot to get him in at. Personally he’d be my dime corner over Flowers, and I’d probably try him at boundary corner but I’d probably be a shitty coach so that means nothing.

Why? Flowers has been great when getting his chances. 
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2022, 10:34 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: The Bengals have a fine history of redshirting rookies.

At least this one isn't hurt...
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2022, 10:38 PM)NotBigzo Wrote: Blowing a coverage here and there only effects mentally weak players. Let him grow and make mistakes.

I don't care about the effect of his mistakes on his psyche.  I am worried about their effects on our ability to win games.

Let him learn his lessons in practice instead of costing us games.
Reply/Quote
Everybody knows it is common for Bengals fans not to get to see their 1st round draft picks play in year one. Ninja

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Communication is very important in the secondary and Bell, Bates, Awuzie, Apple, and Hilton all have a full year together in the system.

Dax Hill is the backup for both safeties and also likely slot corner. There is no need to rush him into the lineup.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(09-22-2022, 08:39 AM)Sled21 Wrote: We're not even close to being out of the playoffs. We're one win back from the rest of the division. 

Don't step on Ruebens dreams like that.
Reply/Quote
I know he started the game but not sure I heard his name once.

Bengals had a "loaded" roster entering the season but it sucks your 1st round pick hasn't been able to earn some PT
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
We might see Dax in on some packages this week against Miami with those WR’s they have.

Reply/Quote
The thing about the 3 safety look is you're often taking Mike Hilton off of the field when you put a 3rd safety on the field, unless you're playing dime which is probably only 3rd downs at this point.

And taking Hilton off of the field is just not a good idea most of the time. Dude is electric.

I think Hill may be closer to a true redshirt season than we may have been hoping for initially, which only strengthens my belief that Bates is gone after this year.
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2022, 02:38 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: The thing about the 3 safety look is you're often taking Mike Hilton off of the field when you put a 3rd safety on the field, unless you're playing dime which is probably only 3rd downs at this point.

And taking Hilton off of the field is just not a good idea most of the time. Dude is electric.

I think Hill may be closer to a true redshirt season than we may have been hoping for initially, which only strengthens my belief that Bates is gone after this year.

Hopefully he isn't red shirted and then he'll have to learn these "rookie lessons" next year ........ When the game is out of reach, I think they should let him play.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
His only hope is to be our other slot guy in the dime package

But with Trey Flowers playing so well that’s probably not in the cards either
-Housh
Reply/Quote
Remember the days we weren't so loaded with quality DB's that we couldn't complain about them just sitting a 1st round pick and letting him learn behind Pro Bowl level players??? Yeah, that was great!
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2022, 09:26 PM)Housh Wrote: I hate when coaches get in these dumbass mindsets

Why TF are you watching Eli Apple get his ass played with every week and Dax doesn’t even sniff snaps at corner?

This is beyond dumb. Bates is gone next year and Bell is a FA. Dax needs to play. I wouldn’t think I’d have to explain this to a NFL coach.

For the record I’m not sold on Lou at all yet. Refusing the rotate secondary is likely why were so bad defensively late in games

Not so sure about that one.  As we've seen this season, 1 play can make a difference in the game.  We want our best guys out there.  We aren't playing for next year.
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2022, 12:14 PM)QueenCity Wrote: I know he started the game but not sure I heard his name once.

Bengals had a "loaded" roster entering the season but it sucks your 1st round pick hasn't been able to earn some PT

That is precisely the mark of a stacked, winning, team. Draft for value, not need.
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2022, 11:34 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I don't care about the effect of his mistakes on his psyche.  I am worried about their effects on our ability to win games.

Let him learn his lessons in practice instead of costing us games.

No shit Fred. It isn't time to be messing around with our good play on our team.

Dax will be good pretty damn sure down the road, but he IS a rookie.

(09-27-2022, 08:30 PM)M.W. Wrote: That is precisely the mark of a stacked, winning, team. Draft for value, not need.

And Dax is great value. He will be there if we need him. The dude's in front of him don't need to be replaced at this moment.

Lou knows his Secondary players better than all of the other Defensive players, this is what he is good at.

The only question I had was in the first 2 games when we had no rotation on the DL pretty much and it wasn't working.

Just change it up and put a fresh End in a few times like Cam Sample who just flashed big time.
Reply/Quote