Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why people riot.
https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1266104126942908416.html

[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.84)][/url][/color]
Quote:[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.84)][url=https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1266104126942908416.html#]tracy jumps to put jeans on
@brokeymcpoverty

2 days ago, 15 tweets, 6 min read[/color]

Bookmark

Save as PDF
  My Authors

[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.84)]black people riot when their anger over being murdered and oppressed reaches a boiling point.

here are some fun reasons why white people have rioted: 

their sports team loses

An incomplete list of things Kentucky fans burned after losing to UNCKentucky fans were understandably upset after the Wildcats’ dramatic loss to North Carolina in the Elite Eight. While freshman guard De’Aaron Fox dealt with his emotions in a healthy way, fans gather…https://sports.yahoo.com/incomplete-list-things-kentucky-fans-013506028.html

[Image: EZIb-FHWkAc9xPC.png]

their sports team wins
[Image: article-2123534-126CCAE5000005DC-508_1024x615_large.jpg]
Kentucky carnage: Police use pepper spray to turn back thousands of rioting students after Final Four basketball game (and their team WON)Students at the University of Kentucky burned couches and set a car on fire as they celebrated the Wildcats' win over cross-state rivals at the University of Louisville.https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2123534/Kentucky-students-riot-basketball-team-beats-Louisville-NCAA-Final-Four.html

their sports team's coach leaves to coach somewhere else

Tennessee Football Riots PHOTOS, VIDEO: Lane Kiffin's Leaving Tennessee Causes FuryTennessee football fans reacted bitterly last night to the news of Lane Kiffin's departure to coach the USC Trojans after just one year on the job as hea...https://www.huffpost.com/entry/tennessee-football-riots_n_421255
[Image: EZIc7kiXkAMXxNw.jpg]

they were told they couldnt party anymore

[Image: default-entry.jpg?ops=1778_1000]
James Madison U Block Party Turns Into A Riot, 30 ArrestedSpring is in the air. But for students at James Madison University, there's now also a hint of tear gas. This Saturday at JMU, the school's annual ...https://www.huffpost.com/entry/james-madison-u-block-par_n_534137

[Image: EZIdT1EXkAQ2Fw2.jpg]

pumpkins

Riot breaks out at New Hampshire pumpkin festivalIt wasn't the pumpkins they were smashing.https://www.latimes.com/nation/nationnow/la-na-nn-new-hampshire-pumpkin-riots-20141019-story.html
[Image: EZIeBmzXsAEFLX3.jpg]

they dont like straw hats

The 1922 Straw Hat Riot Was One of the Weirdest Crime Sprees in American HistoryCrime is Slate’s crime blog. Like us on Facebook, and follow us on Twitter @slatecrime.https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2013/04/straw-hat-riot-remembering-one-of-the-weirdest-crime-sprees-in-american-history.html

[Image: EZIe-RsXkAAmOIC.jpg]

because their sports coach left after he covered up child molestation
[Image: EZIgDllXkBUT65v.jpg]

surfing

U.S. Open of Surfing Turns Into RiotThe U.S. Open of Surfing turned into a riot. Mark Lukach on what it says about surf culture.https://www.thedailybeast.com/us-open-of-surfing-turns-into-riot

[Image: EZIgnpWXkAUbNWT.jpg]

woodstock 99 was too fun i guess?

The Moment That Woodstock ’99 Went Up in FlamesThe Red Hot Chili Peppers closed out the festival with a cover of Jimi Hendrix’s "Fire." Behind them, a literal fire raged. Episode 7 of ‘Break Stuff’ looks at the Sunday riots and violence that you …https://www.theringer.com/2019/8/20/20813422/woodstock-99-riots-red-hot-chili-peppers
[Image: EZIhJlzWsAErILf.png]

cabbage patch kids

[Image: 5713696_112219-wabc-cabbage-patch-kid-img.jpg?w=1600]
The strange story of the Cabbage Patch Kid Riots of 1983In November 1983, America went bonkers for Cabbage Patch Kids. The dolls were so scarce and demand was so high that riots broke out in stores, parents were driving hundreds of miles to buy them.https://abc7ny.com/cabbage-patch-dolls-crazy-riot-the-vault/5713681/

[Image: EZIirfMXkAAJ3zq.png]

decided they hate disco

'Disco Demolition Night' Was a Disgrace, and Celebrating it Is WorseThe Chicago White Sox are commemorating an infamous 1979 near-riot in which a primarily white crowd destroyed records made by Black and gay artists. It's shameful.https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/8xzke5/disco-demolition-night-was-a-disgrace-and-celebrating-it-is-worse

[Image: EZIjMDnXkAQIZcy.jpg]

black people wanted educations

news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/d…[Image: EZIjioQX0AU6Oqk.png]

& most glaringly of all, because black people were prospering and doing just fine without them.[Image: EZIk5GiXQAIOy3c.png]
so yknow. just in case yall wanted some context or something. 
[/color]
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.

Quote:Let me say as I've always said, and I will always continue to say, that riots are socially destructive and self-defeating. ... But in the final analysis, a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it that America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the Negro poor has worsened over the last few years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice, equality, and humanity. And so in a real sense our nation's summers of riots are caused by our nation's winters of delay. And as long as America postpones justice, we stand in the position of having these recurrences of violence and riots over and over again.

https://www.crmvet.org/docs/otheram.htm
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Of course, rioting isn't always for noble reasons. Sometimes it is to make the unheard look bad.

This starts a lengthy thread:
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(05-30-2020, 02:12 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Of course, rioting isn't always for noble reasons. Sometimes it is to make the unheard look bad.

This starts a lengthy thread:

My initial post was more tongue in cheek.  But I welcome your responses because protest and rioting are as American as Baseball and apple pie.  
(05-30-2020, 12:55 PM)Belsnickel Wrote:

King is a good reference point here on a number of fronts.

Let's not forget that in a public letter 8 local clergymen cast MLK as an "outside agitator" during the 1963 Birmingham riots.

It took a long time to convince the FBI and even RFK that this whole anti-segregation thing was not communist inspired because it was so hard for them to see segregation as bad enough to produce such protests organically.

Given all the reports of "white outside agitators" now in Minnesota, Kentucky and DC, I'd like to see/hear more evidence beyond pictures and witness testimony--who is being accused? Are they really from "outside"? Are they organized and willing to make public their goals? Can't the police or Guard catch one somewhere?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(05-30-2020, 03:26 PM)Dill Wrote: Given all the reports of "white outside agitators" now in Minnesota, Kentucky and DC, I'd like to see/hear more evidence beyond pictures and witness testimony--who is being accused? Are they really from "outside"? Are they organized and willing to make public their goals? Can't the police or Guard catch one somewhere?

Don't know about Kentucky and DC, but Minnesota officials are saying that have been arresting agitators from out-of-state.

(05-30-2020, 03:30 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Don't know about Kentucky and DC, but Minnesota officials are saying that have been arresting agitators from out-of-state.

Hopefully then well get something specific and concrete--not blurry photos and wild speculation of Klan involvement.
I haven't heard anything about outside influences in Louisville,but I've had friends there sharing pics and they're pretty amazing. Like the rows of white people forming a wall between protestors and police. The black guys who formed a ring around an officer who had gotten separated so he wouldn't get hurt. People lined up along streets to protect stores from getting vandalized.
(05-30-2020, 03:38 PM)Dill Wrote: Hopefully then well get something specific and concrete--not blurry photos and wild speculation of Klan involvement.

Well, Bill Barr says it's all on ANTIFA and nobody else, so that should put that to bed, lol.  

I've seen that the boogaloo crew is trying to align themselves with the Floyd protesters perception-wise to try and drum up the possibility of violence toward law enforcement.  They think Ruby Ridge and George Floyd are the same thing.  Spoiler alert: They're not.
Very painful time. I’ve been watching this for the last day and it saddens me greatly. I guess my head has been in the sand because I didn’t know any of this was even happening? Then to learn it’s even spread to so many cities, even Cincinnati.  Sad

That needs to be broadcast nationally. Don't compound one tragedy with another.
(05-31-2020, 12:37 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Very painful time. I’ve been watching this for the last day and it saddens me greatly. I guess my head has been in the sand because I didn’t know any of this was even happening? Then to learn it’s even spread to so many cities, even Cincinnati.  Sad

Quite frankly it's getting to be obnoxious. Not like Cincinnati doesn't have its own history, but the police there have nothing to do with this incident. I could hear shots last night from downtown Dayton. People causing a ruckus with the same police department that took down a dude with an AR 15 that was killing with zero regard not even one year ago. This town's already a shit hole, and they're tearing it up more. Seems to me that it's more constructive to actually research which and figure out which judges, prosecutors, and sheriffs are doing things you don't agree with. Then register and vote them out. I know that doesn't look a cool on your Insta as the videos from all this shit, but it actually works.

Or they can continue to froth all-over each other's nasty asses in large, packed crowds during a damn pandemic all the while accomplishing nothing.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
(05-31-2020, 08:02 PM)jason Wrote: Quite frankly it's getting to be obnoxious. Not like Cincinnati doesn't have its own history, but the police there have nothing to do with this incident. I could hear shots last night from downtown Dayton. People causing a ruckus with the same police department that took down a dude with an AR 15 that was killing with zero regard not even one year ago. This town's already a shit hole, and they're tearing it up more. Seems to me that it's more constructive to actually research which and figure out which judges, prosecutors, and sheriffs are doing things you don't agree with. Then register and vote them out. I know that doesn't look a cool on your Insta as the videos from all this shit, but it actually works.

Or they can continue to froth all-over each other's nasty asses in large, packed crowds during a damn pandemic all the while accomplishing nothing.

Dayton too? Damn! 

(05-31-2020, 08:08 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Dayton too? Damn! 

Yep... Seems to be happening in all the metro areas now. A lil bit ago I just saw a REALLY bad look on the news though. Another cop had his knee on a guy's neck as he was cuffing him. Another officer pushed his leg off. The suspect was white, but still. They can't be doing that.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
(05-31-2020, 09:02 PM)jason Wrote: Yep... Seems to be happening in all the metro areas now. A lil bit ago I just saw a REALLY bad look on the news though. Another cop had his knee on a guy's neck as he was cuffing him.  Another officer pushed his leg off. The suspect was white, but still. They can't be doing that.

Protesters are going to force an extreme response from police. Just seen some footage of a Keenan Advantage fuel truck being seized on a I-35 bridge. Headlines stating truck nearly plowed through protesters. Shit is now going to go really bad. I feel it. Video showed protesters all over the truck while moving. Glad the authorities possessed the fuel tanker tho or that really could have gotten extremely ugly.

(05-31-2020, 09:15 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Protesters are going to force an extreme response from police. Just seen some footage of a Keenan Advantage fuel truck being seized on a I-35 bridge. Headlines stating truck nearly plowed through protesters. Shit is now going to go really bad. I feel it. Video showed protesters all over the truck while moving. Glad the authorities possessed the fuel tanker tho or that really could have gotten extremely ugly.

Vast majority of protesters are fine. It's the thug element mixed in with them that will push some past their breaking point. And if it keeps going on, there could be counter-actions from extremist idiots. 

My self I am torn on this because what would I do if I was a cop or a truck driver or just simply in a situation where I feel my life is threatened. Would I simply just say, 'Well for the good of these fine people rioting, I will just sacrifice my life so to not upset people?" I am guessing my answer is no, and I would do whatever I feel I have to do to survive that situation. Which I am guessing most people would do.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

(05-31-2020, 11:09 PM)Millhouse Wrote: Vast majority of protesters are fine. It's the thug element mixed in with them that will push some past their breaking point. And if it keeps going on, there could be counter-actions from extremist idiots. 

My self I am torn on this because what would I do if I was a cop or a truck driver or just simply in a situation where I feel my life is threatened. Would I simply just say, 'Well for the good of these fine people rioting, I will just sacrifice my life so to not upset people?" I am guessing my answer is no, and I would do whatever I feel I have to do to survive that situation. Which I am guessing most people would do.

I think there's an outside shit-starter element mixed in that's taking advantage of the tensions.  I think there are probably all sorts of parties interested in perpetuating unrest in this country, and they've found a prime opportunity.
(05-31-2020, 11:18 PM)samhain Wrote: I think there's an outside shit-starter element mixed in that's taking advantage of the tensions.  I think there are probably all sorts of parties interested in perpetuating unrest in this country, and they've found a prime opportunity.

Yeah, even in a town near mine (Paducah, KY) they had a really positive event at a park. Population is mostly white, and so were the people demonstrating. No road blocking, no rioting. Some cops showed up, there was some hugging and fist bumping and it was all really neighborly. Across town at the mall, someone used the opportunity to bust windows out of peoples cars.
(05-31-2020, 11:59 PM)Benton Wrote: Yeah, even in a town near mine (Paducah, KY) they had a really positive event at a park. Population is mostly white, and so were the people demonstrating. No road blocking, no rioting. Some cops showed up, there was some hugging and fist bumping and it was all really neighborly. Across town at the mall, someone used the opportunity to bust windows out of peoples cars.

Well, I never thought riot tourism would be a thing in my lifetime, but that rather appears to be the case.