Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Why the Bengals have embraced the lightest offseason schedule in the NFL
Excerpts From Paul Dehner The Athletic

Mike Thomas “There’s no comparison,” Thomas said. “We respect him (Zac) for that and we love it. We love the schedule and any chance we get we make sure he (Zac) knows and understands that.”

Ted Karras “I think Zac is one of the best schedulers ever,” Karras said. “Just an amazing schedule and great culture here.”

Dehner: The praise reflects a staff leaning into sports science research with an emphasis on what type of work must be done and what makes the most sense over the long haul of the season.

Taylor says he focuses on three priorities with his setup:

1. Refreshing systems, recall of what they do, adding tweaks.
2. Reestablishing team chemistry.
3. Bringing free agents, rookies up to speed to be ready by training camp.

“You can balance those three things with the schedule,” Taylor said. “What we focus on is the meeting time in the meeting room and on the field make sure the players understand all the techniques we are going to want.”

Still, the Bengals started 2-3 before streaking into the playoffs and those early losses cost a shot at home-field advantage versus the Chiefs. Taylor wasn’t buying an argument of correlation to the easy offseason.

“Week 1 last year we lost the turnover battle 5-0 and missed a walk-off PAT,” Taylor said. An emergency appendectomy taking away much of camp for Joe Burrow didn’t help matters, either. “To me, I just look at it logically. I don’t look at 0-2 or 2-3 and they started slow, I didn’t think that was the case. I felt there were clear reasons. There was no correlation to me with how we operated in the offseason.”

Hubbard agreed wholeheartedly. As a captain at the core of decision-making he doesn’t see this schedule as taking away anything. He views Taylor’s system as shifting to trusting players and away from chaperoning them.

“I personally don’t understand why some professional staffs babysit players like that,” Hubbard said, then acknowledging every staff and organization can have unknown dynamics at play. “That you need to be here every second. Full helmets. Full 11-on-11. I feel like that is college.”

“If I felt like guys were just going through the motions right now, then we would ramp it up,” Taylor said. “Guys are locked in. The Sam Hubbards and Trey Hendricksons, guys who have been in this league a long time, they are taking every on-air rep like it is the Super Bowl. We are still getting really good work out of this. It’s not like we are just checking a box saying we did it. We are in here getting good work in our individual work. I feel like our players are getting better.”

Hubbard leaned over his stool, huffing and puffing Tuesday, after putting himself through a rigorous post-practice workout. The Cincinnati Kid who survived a 98-yard chase in January puts it on himself to be prepared for those moments and that concept being shared matters in the way the Bengals want to operate.

“It is the relationship and trust we have developed between the coaching staff and leaders of the team,” Hubbard said. “They listen to what we have to say. We tell them what we need to stay healthy and peak at the right time. Rather than risk injuries and get unnecessary wear and tear on our bodies this time of year when it doesn’t really translate at all to the season, they listen to us and we, in turn, when it is time for us to go come training camp we give everything we’ve got because they have taken care of us and listen to us. It’s just a great working relationship.”

For now, it’s clearly not a trend. The Bengals are living in the NFL minority. Perhaps a few more scaled-back offseasons that end with practice weeks in January and February might change the attitude in this copycat league. Taylor doesn’t concern himself with any of that.

“I don’t know what the other 29 teams do,” he said, citing his experience with the Dolphins and Rams. “You are just on your own doing it the way that makes sense to you and hoping you get good work in. And we know we are getting good work in so it makes you sleep better at night.”
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
Obviously there's a reason teams do conditioning, but I'm glad the science is a big factor into how much is too much, or how it sets them up for a longer run into the season. A balancing act, but glad they're basing it on statistics and not just what everyone else does. Would really love to see this be the successful approach and the team to be trend-setters. It's been a while since the Bengals were credited with that, even though their past is rich with it.

Also love the emphasis on building team chemistry. Cannot be overstated enough how much difference that makes for guys in a long season and when they face adversity. That chemistry will drive them into the winter more than workouts and drills done in May.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Counterpoint: It wasn't just a slow start last year. The Bengals are 1-7 the first 2 weeks of the season in the Zac Taylor era, with the only win being in OT.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(05-25-2023, 05:32 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Counterpoint: It wasn't just a slow start last year. The Bengals are 1-7 the first 2 weeks of the season in the Zac Taylor era, with the only win being in OT.

I think our slow start last year was largely due to Burrow's appendectomy costing him most of training camp. Took everyone a few games to get on the same page.
Reply/Quote
(05-25-2023, 06:58 PM)Memphis_Bengal Wrote: I think our slow start last year was largely due to Burrow's appendectomy costing him most of training camp. Took everyone a few games to get on the same page.

Having 5 offensive linemen who had never played a single snap in an NFL game with even 1 other guy on the line sure didn't help. 13 sacks the first 2 games, after 10 the first two games of 2021.

Everyone who is getting paid more to work less is going to praise that plan. Sometimes guys need to actually get work in and get prepared even if they wouldn't prefer to.

Reply/Quote
(05-25-2023, 05:32 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Counterpoint: It wasn't just a slow start last year. The Bengals are 1-7 the first 2 weeks of the season in the Zac Taylor era, with the only win being in OT.

Counterpoint: The strong finishes the last 2 years and Zac Taylor’s 5-2 playoff record is a torrid start to his post season coaching.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(05-25-2023, 08:29 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Counterpoint: The strong finishes the last 2 years and Zac Taylor’s 5-2 playoff record is a torrid start to his post season coaching.

Your counterpoint is that the 2 years that they had Joe Burrow to finish the season out of the 4 years with Zac Taylor, they did well? That's just called having Joe Burrow, not a magical offseason/preseason plan.

Reply/Quote
(05-25-2023, 11:49 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Your counterpoint is that the 2 years that they had Joe Burrow to finish the season out of the 4 years with Zac Taylor, they did well? That's just called having Joe Burrow, not a magical offseason/preseason plan.

Well QB’s do make a difference ask old Bill Belichick who is under .500 w/o Tom Brady and just 1 playoff win.

Reply/Quote
(05-25-2023, 07:07 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Having 5 offensive linemen who had never played a single snap in an NFL game with even 1 other guy on the line sure didn't help. 13 sacks the first 2 games, after 10 the first two games of 2021.

Everyone who is getting paid more to work less is going to praise that plan. Sometimes guys need to actually get work in and get prepared even if they wouldn't prefer to.

I get the oline narrative, but we only had 2 new linemen available for the preseason with LC and Cappa dinged up.  As to the other 2; Karras didnt need the work and Volson did play in the preseason.  Im not sure how much the preseason games would have helped Jonah and he had already missed an entire season due to knee injury that occurred before the season started.  Just my 2 cents.  I hope none of them play in the preseason again this year, colleges dont play preseason games.  I want them all healthy for another late run.

Reply/Quote
(05-25-2023, 06:58 PM)Memphis_Bengal Wrote: I think our slow start last year was largely due to Burrow's appendectomy costing him most of training camp. Took everyone a few games to get on the same page.

And the season before that he was still dealing with the knee. 
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2023, 06:10 AM)casear2727 Wrote: I get the oline narrative, but we only had 2 new linemen available for the preseason with LC and Cappa dinged up.  As to the other 2; Karras didnt need the work and Volson did play in the preseason.  Im not sure how much the preseason games would have helped Jonah and he had already missed an entire season due to knee injury that occurred before the season started.  Just my 2 cents.  I hope none of them play in the preseason again this year, colleges dont play preseason games.  I want them all healthy for another late run.

This is where I'm at. I don't want a single starter playing in the pre-season. Imagine, after all this hype, we lose Orlando Brown Jr for the season in a frikken pre-season game. I just don't see the risk/reward when both the players and coaches say they get nothing out of pre-season and get their best work during practice. 
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2023, 06:10 AM)casear2727 Wrote: I get the oline narrative, but we only had 2 new linemen available for the preseason with LC and Cappa dinged up.  As to the other 2; Karras didnt need the work and Volson did play in the preseason.  Im not sure how much the preseason games would have helped Jonah and he had already missed an entire season due to knee injury that occurred before the season started.  Just my 2 cents.  I hope none of them play in the preseason again this year, colleges dont play preseason games.  I want them all healthy for another late run.

They actually sort of do.

Ohio State played Toledo and Arkansas State in the first 3 weeks.
Georgia played Samford and Kent State in the first 4 weeks.
Alabama played Utah State and Louisiana-Monroe in the first 3 weeks.
Michigan played Colorado State, Hawaii, and Connecticut their first 3 weeks.

All home games, too.

College teams routinely have multiple cupcake home field advantage games at the beginning of the season against teams with no shot due to overwhelming taken and level of play differences who are just there to collect a paycheck in return for being sacrificial lambs. The Bengals don't get the luxury of scheduling the XFL's DC Defenders and Arlington Renegades in the first couple weeks, so they have a preseason instead.

Reply/Quote
(05-26-2023, 08:26 AM)Sled21 Wrote: This is where I'm at. I don't want a single starter playing in the pre-season. Imagine, after all this hype, we lose Orlando Brown Jr for the season in a frikken pre-season game. I just don't see the risk/reward when both the players and coaches say they get nothing out of pre-season and get their best work during practice. 
well Whats better loosing Brown preseason game 1 where we have time to adjust or Game 1.    

How do young guys outplay entrenched starters to take their spot if we just annoint every starter before preseason
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2023, 09:51 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: They actually sort of do.

Ohio State played Toledo and Arkansas State in the first 3 weeks.
Georgia played Samford and Kent State in the first 4 weeks.
Alabama played Utah State and Louisiana-Monroe in the first 3 weeks.
Michigan played Colorado State, Hawaii, and Connecticut their first 3 weeks.

All home games, too.

College teams routinely have multiple cupcake home field advantage games at the beginning of the season against teams with no shot due to overwhelming taken and level of play differences who are just there to collect a paycheck in return for being sacrificial lambs. The Bengals don't get the luxury of scheduling the XFL's DC Defenders and Arlington Renegades in the first couple weeks, so they have a preseason instead.

Bengals play the Rams in Week 3
Bengals play the Titans in Week 4

Bengals play the Cardinals in Week 5

Reply/Quote
When the team captains have your back, and openly praise your strategy, that bodes well down the stretch. Even at 2-14, this team never laid down. That was what showed me something, and led to my patience with Zac. Having played for an authoritarian type.... you'd dig down deeper for a guy you felt actually listened to you and took your positions into consideration, vs "do it because I said". After all, these guys are supposed to be professionals. If they can't handle self discipline, motivation, and good work habits on their own, they need shown the door. Rookies have rookie camp for that stuff. Veterans should be self policed to a degree, and I think that's how the staff views it.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(05-26-2023, 09:52 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: well Whats better loosing Brown preseason game 1 where we have time to adjust or Game 1.    

How do young guys outplay entrenched starters to take their spot if we just annoint every starter before preseason

The talent disparity on the oline is so vast, especially on our team, that this is not an issue.

Is Hill really competing with Karras?
Is Sharping really competing with Cappa?
Are Adeniji and Smith really competing with OBj?
If Jonah is on the roster and healthy, I dont see Carman being true competition.

Reply/Quote
(05-25-2023, 08:29 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Counterpoint: The strong finishes the last 2 years and Zac Taylor’s 5-2 playoff record is a torrid start to his post season coaching.

I think another thing that gets overlooked in Taylor 's off-season approach is it's impact on FA.  It definitely makes the Bengals a more desirable destination.
Reply/Quote
Why mess with success? Week 1 is always a crapshoot. We seem rested and ready late in the year twice in a row now. The gelling issues for this team will occur in the secondary.
TBS, if this team is what I think/hope it is, we should see dominance weeks 2-5.
Go Benton Panthers!!
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2023, 10:05 AM)Wyche Wrote: When the team captains have your back, and openly praise your strategy, that bodes well down the stretch. Even at 2-14, this team never laid down. That was what showed me something, and led to my patience with Zac. Having played for an authoritarian type.... you'd dig down deeper for a guy you felt actually listened to you and took your positions into consideration, vs "do it because I said". After all, these guys are supposed to be professionals. If they can't handle self discipline, motivation, and good work habits on their own, they need shown the door. Rookies have rookie camp for that stuff. Veterans should be self policed to a degree, and I think that's how the staff views it.

Agreed. How many of us would rather have Marv's zero-for-five playoff record ... or Zac's? Or Marv's overall win/loss record ... or Zac's?
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2023, 10:04 AM)casear2727 Wrote: Bengals play the Rams in Week 3
Bengals play the Titans in Week 4

Bengals play the Cardinals in Week 5

All still NFL teams with NFL draft picks and NFL money, and 2 of those 3 games are on the road.

Louisiana-Monroe can play at Alabama 100 times and they'll probably lose 100 times. The last time a player from Louisiana-Monroe started even 1 game in the NFL was 2011 (a player drafted in 2005). I don't think they have ever even had a 4 star recruit before. Since 2010 they've had multiple years where they didn't even have a single 3 star recruit that year. 

Alabama football alone has almost 6 times more revenue (~$98m in 2019) than Louisiana-Monroe's entire university ($16.8m in 2021). In their 2021 recruit class, they had SEVEN 5 star recruits enroll and another 3 in 2022. 4 stars are ho-hum there.

Your list is not even slightly on the same level of disparity.

Reply/Quote