Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Why the Bengals will miss the postseason
I know what you're thinking...just hear me out.

The AFC West is going to be RAW next year.

Oakland on the rise.

Wisenhunt returning to his old job + Travis Benjamin=a better performing Phillip Rivers. Once San Diego gets their defense back from injuries, they'll improve from last year by a large margin.

Chiefs and Broncos just have to keep doing them.

I anticipate at least one of these teams snagging a wild card berth. If not them, we'll see a surgeing team in the AFC South take it.

If one of the teams from either division surge and do as well as expected (I'm calling the Jags as the most likely) they could very take a wild card berth.

I predict that the Bengals get short-handed in the division race due to the Ravens' resurgence and the Steelers just doing what they've always done. An Afc West or South team could be the nail in the coffin that has us looking from the outside in for the first time in half a decade.

Thoughts?
Reply/Quote
Here's why I'm not scared.

Good Ravens...bad Ravens...the Bengals OWN them. 1-2 wins.
The Browns will be the worst team in the AFC. 2 wins.
Nobody in the NFC East will be that good (whole division was .500 or worse last year). 2-3 wins.
The AFC East (other than New England) has major question marks. 2-3 wins.

At New England. At Pittsburgh. At Houston. Vs Denver. Those are the 4 games we will be underdogs.

You mention how good the AFC West will be? True, but that also means likely that they might have everyone at 8-11 wins...unlikely that 2 teams run away from it.
You mention how a team like the Jags could surge? Might so, but that also means the division will be competitive and unlikely a team runs away with it.

Bengals are in BETTER shape next year than this year, IMO.
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2016, 11:19 PM)ItsOdellThurman Wrote: Here's why I'm not scared.

Good Ravens...bad Ravens...the Bengals OWN them.  1-2 wins.
The Browns will be the worst team in the AFC.  2 wins.
Nobody in the NFC East will be that good (whole division was .500 or worse last year).  2-3 wins.
The AFC East (other than New England) has major question marks.  2-3 wins.

At New England.  At Pittsburgh.  At Houston.  Vs Denver.  Those are the 4 games we will be underdogs.

You mention how good the AFC West will be?  True, but that also means likely that they might have everyone at 8-11 wins...unlikely that 2 teams run away from it.
You mention how a team like the Jags could surge?  Might so, but that also means the division will be competitive and unlikely a team runs away with it.

Bengals are in BETTER shape next year than this year, IMO.

The Ravens aren't having that this year.

I feel that, apart from week 17 this year/2013, that those other wins were flukes.

I see the Lolphins pulling an upset.

In better shape, even without Hue and our sexy little Marvin Jones? You're kidding, right?
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2016, 11:26 PM)THE Bigzoman Wrote: The Ravens aren't having that this year.

I feel that, apart from week 17 this year/2013,  that those other wins were flukes.

In better shape, even without Hue and our sexy little Marvin Jones? You're kidding, right?

You're better off having conversations with yourself because you have already made up your mind.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2016, 11:33 PM)Okeana Wrote: You're better off having conversations with yourself because you have already made up your mind.

I may show a bit of conviction with my opinions, but i'm always open to others.

What, because i'm not welcoming of every idea with my legs spread means i'm close-minded?
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2016, 11:26 PM)THE Bigzoman Wrote: The Ravens aren't having that this year.

I feel that, apart from week 17 this year/2013,  that those other wins were flukes.

Instead of listening to all the hype the ravens are getting this off-season, I suggest you actually look at their depth chart and then factor in their best players are coming off ACL tears and several are ancient and maybe you'll start to realize what some of us have been saying all along. The Ravens are not that good!

As for your point about the bengals missing the playoffs, I disagree. We basically have the same team coming back minus Marvin Jones. If we draft a good WR who can contribute a decent amount in the first couple of rounds we should be at least as good as we were last year. Then look at everyone else, there are a lot of good teams, but even the defending super bowl champs will be good not great this year with no QB. I see 3 potentially "elite" level teams in the AFC, the Pats (because they always are no matter what lol), the steelers (could be although I don't see that as a given like some others do, but I do think they make the playoffs either way), and the Bengals. 

The Jets, Bills, Dolphins, Raiders, Chargers, Chiefs, Broncos, Ravens, Jags, Colts, Texans, are all capable of making the playoffs, but none are gonna be great. They'll be fringe playoff teams, sure the AFC could be very very deep this year, but the bengals should without a doubt be one of the best 3-4 teams. I'd say our chances of making the playoffs should be right in line with the pats and steelers and after those 3 teams it's a crapshoot. All of those teams with potential will probably beat the crap out of each other more than they will the top tier teams in the AFC.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2016, 11:14 PM)THE Bigzoman Wrote: I know what you're thinking...just hear me out.

Oakland on the rise.

Wisenhunt returning to his old job + Travis Benjamin=a better performing Phillip Rivers. Once San Diego gets their defense back from injuries, they'll improve from last year by a large margin.

I anticipate at least one of these teams snagging a wild card berth. If not them, we'll see a surgeing team in the AFC South take it.

If one of the teams from either division surge and do as well as expected (I'm calling the Jags as the most likely) they could very take a wild card berth.

I predict that the Bengals get short-handed in the division race due to the Ravens' resurgence and the Steelers just doing what they've always done. An Afc West or South team could be the nail in the coffin that has us looking from the outside in for the first time in half a decade.

Thoughts?

What does the West have to do with anything? The Bengals are playing the AFC and NFC East. Oakland is on the rise. San Diego has potential to be a decent offense, but that defense scares no one. Broncos aren't going to be as good, already calling it.

Steelers are getting too hyped, honestly. That defense is terrible and one thing no one talks about is after the BYE week, the Steelers played against 6 backup QBs in a row. They were 6-5 before that time period. That offense is scary, but that pass defense is still struggling and I don't see how they've improved at all.

Ravens aren't a good team. They weren't last year before injuries. Close games are close games. But they haven't done much to improve thus far.

I don't see a single team the Bengals can't beat. They've gone toe to toe with the Steelers even with a backup QB. Almost beat the Broncos with a backup QB. NFC East isn't tough at all. Patriots and Steelers give the most trouble.

They only play 4 teams that made it to the playoffs from last year.

Honestly, outside of receiver, the Bengals didn't get worse. Sure, they didn't necessarily get better, but they were a great team last year. A strong draft and players in their prime will help this team continue to get better.

I like the Jaguars and think they make the playoffs. But they'll probably have to go into Cincinnati since I see them as winning the division.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2016, 11:56 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: Instead of listening to all the hype the ravens are getting this off-season, I suggest you actually look at their depth chart and then factor in their best players are coming off ACL tears and several are ancient and maybe you'll start to realize what some of us have been saying all along. The Ravens are not that good!

As for your point about the bengals missing the playoffs, I disagree. We basically have the same team coming back minus Marvin Jones. If we draft a good WR who can contribute a decent amount in the first couple of rounds we should be at least as good as we were last year. Then look at everyone else, there are a lot of good teams, but even the defending super bowl champs will be good not great this year with no QB. I see 3 potentially "elite" level teams in the AFC, the Pats (because they always are no matter what lol), the steelers (could be although I don't see that as a given like some others do, but I do think they make the playoffs either way), and the Bengals. 

The Jets, Bills, Dolphins, Raiders, Chargers, Chiefs, Broncos, Ravens, Jags, Colts, Texans, are all capable of making the playoffs, but none are gonna be great. They'll be fringe playoff teams, sure the AFC could be very very deep this year, but the bengals should without a doubt be one of the best 3-4 teams. I'd say our chances of making the playoffs should be right in line with the pats and steelers and after those 3 teams it's a crapshoot. All of those teams with potential will probably beat the crap out of each other more than they will the top tier teams in the AFC.
This is the most reasonable statement I have read in awhile. I don't understand why the Ravens get all this hype, or the Steelers for that matter. The Steelers make the playoffs, sure and they (ahem , cough... wink wink) beat us last year but Ben keeps getting crushed and he is not going to last forever. The Ravens ?: I just don't understand why the media hypes them so much. It just must be their reputation of usually being good, but that was when Ray Lewis was there. The Bengals are easily one of the top 3 teams in the AFC and have been for years, its just the media wont accept that. I know we haven't won in the playoffs but you have to win in the regular season to get to the playoffs right? We have done that for 5 straight years which only 3 teams in the NFL can say.
Reply/Quote
Yeah teams will get better next year... Too bad the Bengals will be the best team in the NFL so they're easily going to make the playoffs.
Reply/Quote
The Bengals did improve already this offseason. Karlos Dansby is a MAJOR upgrade over Emmanuel Lamur.
Reply/Quote
Steelers are the only team I'm really concerned about in the AFC North.

And I think we can play ball with them any Sunday as long as we keep our cool and just let the plays on the field do the talking.

Ravens will be mediocre this year, unless they really surprise me.

Browns are in rebuild mode for at least 1 more year. Don't let them pull an upset on us though, they've done it in the past.
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
Andy's excelled under two coordinators. The offense will be fine. Losing MJ/Sanu isn't gonna set us back even if both of those guys go on to have great careers. There just wasn't room for them here. 

Defense worries me a bit if neither Reggie or Leon return. I'd be happy with either. It's more for continuity than playing time. I think Leon offers leadership and some versatility. He doesn't have to play every down to contribute. I'd really like him back more because I think Shawn Williams is ready But I also fear he's injury prone. Man I hope I'm wrong about that. I think Leon could play some safety if needed in this case. 

But Reggie is a beast. Even if he 'missed a few tackles last year'. Yeah I want my safety to be able to tackle but man I want him to be a feared hitter and ball hawk even more. Reggie does that. 

I'm excited for Shawn. I believe he has the potential to fill that role and maybe even surpass Reggie, but I fear he may Be hiding some glass, just like Bob Sanders. Again, I hope I'm wrong.  
-That which we need most, will be found where we want to visit least.-
Reply/Quote
They will miss the wild card again.

First round bye.

Reply/Quote
Just got to get that wild card streak of losing games broken.
Happy Halloween
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2016, 01:47 AM)Passepartout Wrote: Just got to get that wild card streak of losing games broken.

a first round bye would fix that!  Rock On
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2016, 12:24 AM)magikod Wrote: Steelers are the only team I'm really concerned about in the AFC North.

And I think we can play ball with them any Sunday as long as we keep our cool and just let the plays on the field do the talking.

Ravens will be mediocre this year, unless they really surprise me.

Browns are in rebuild mode for at least 1 more year. Don't let them pull an upset on us though, they've done it in the past.

I'm really hoping that since just about everyone, including the broadcasters on NFL radio, have commented on how badly the refs were in the tank for Pittsburgh in that last playoff game, and that the Bengals should have won it, that Pittsburgh won't be getting some of the bullshit calls then normally do with they play Cincy. Especially, since the games will be a focus nationwide.... Bengals win the Division again.
Reply/Quote
There's far more reason for optimism than pessimism. What AFC team (aside from the everlasting Patriots) looks better than the Bengals right now?

The Raiders went 7-9 last year, including 3-6 over their last 9. Sure they have some promising talent, but they're a couple good drafts away from being an AFC power. The Broncos are going to have Sanchez and maybe Kaep at QB. Sure, they won the SB with mediocre QB play last year, but the odds of them being that good (without a good QB) again seem slim to me. Rivers was never the problem with the Chargers. They have no defense and Melvin Gordon looked like a bust (641 yards, 3.5 ypc, 6 fumbles).

I went in depth on all the Ravens problems in a different thread. The Steelers are only relevant thanks to 3 players: Ben, Antonio and LeVeon. They lost Bryant (765 yards + 6 TDs in '15), Heath (535 yards + 2 TDs) and Bell is questionable to start the season. Their defense is abysmal. Ben has only played 3 complete seasons in 12 years. Even the Patriots have questions. You have to wonder when Brady is going to take a Peyton-like nose dive. He's 39 years old and due to fall off at any time.

The Bengals are just the most complete team in the AFC. They have a top notch QB, weapons, lines, and defense. What other team can say ALL of that?
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2016, 11:14 PM)THE Bigzoman Wrote: I know what you're thinking...just hear me out.

Oakland on the rise.

Thoughts?

Sorry man, this is pretty laughable. The Broncos have Mark Frickin Snatchez at QB, the Chargers have NO Defense,
the Raiders faded down the stretch last season badly, not the way you would like to end a season. The Chiefs have
some talent but still, i cannot trust in them, we would beat them once again once we play them.

The Jags? This is laughable all by itself. Hard for anyone to see them doing well with the worst Secondary in the
league. They will draft a CB early but a rookie is not going to help them immediately from where they are to Playoff
contenders.

The Bengals and the Steelers will be fighting for the AFC North crown once again and the Bengals have a one up
on the Steelers once again. It is slowly looking like we are about to take over the rivalry. We have a much better
Defense and adding Lafell and a WR talent to AJ Green, Tyler Eifert and Giovani Bernard will be damn good.

MLJ was a talent, but Lafell has had much better production over the course of both of their careers.

I expect us to improve on our record and once again make the Playoffs with Homefield advantage myself.

Dansby will only help this Defense and if we can add a quality DT next to Geno look the hell out.
Reply/Quote
The OP made a ton of assumptions about all the other AFC teams and divisions being more competitive, but if anything, that makes the WC easier to achieve.

Last year was a year of the haves and the have nots in the AFC. The Colts, a pre-season favorite, underachieved. You essentially had the AFC playoffs down to 7 teams by week 13.

5 of the 7 worst teams, were in the AFC, which made the WC threshold higher.

The Bengals haven't won fewer than 10 games in 5 years...and 10 games is a playoff bid in about 70% of cases (three in the last decade has won 10 and missed the playoffs in the AFC (2015 Jets, 2008 Pats, 2007 Browns).
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2016, 01:23 PM)ItsOdellThurman Wrote: The OP made a ton of assumptions about all the other AFC teams and divisions being more competitive, but if anything, that makes the WC easier to achieve.

Last year was a year of the haves and the have nots in the AFC.  The Colts, a pre-season favorite, underachieved.  You essentially had the AFC playoffs down to 7 teams by week 13.

5 of the 7 worst teams, were in the AFC, which made the WC threshold higher.

The Bengals haven't won fewer than 10 games in 5 years...and 10 games is a playoff bid in about 70% of cases (three in the last decade has won 10 and missed the playoffs in the AFC (2015 Jets, 2008 Pats, 2007 Browns).

Also, i might add that the Bengals have had a better record every year since Dalton and Green got here.

I expect no different this year... 12+ wins barring injuries.
Reply/Quote