Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Why the Bengals will win the AFCN
I know everyone is questioning the O Line and for good reason since the Bengals let their two best O Linemen walk. But looking deeper, the Bengals really didn't try very hard to bring them back either, so there's that and the Bengals, I believe, think that Fisher and Ogbuhei will be as good if not better than those who went to other teams.

Then, throw in this Draft that the Bengals just had on O and D, the pickup of Minter plus losing the slow and old Maualuga and Peko and Billings from last years draft, a new kicker and that CB from last years draft. The Bengals are going to be pretty good.

Now let's look at the rest of the AFCN.

The Browns are the Browns and will always be the Browns although they will be better but I don't see them ever being good enough to win the AFCN...not in the next ten years anyway.

The Ravens aren't the same and will be just good enough for a few years to stay right around .500. They will be good again once Flacco retires and they can focus on a new QB and system.

The Steelers will only be good as long as Rothlisberger can stay healthy and I do not see him playing more than six games this year. He's getting old and takes too many chances leaving him open for big hits.

Just my opinion.
Reply/Quote
(06-08-2017, 12:14 AM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: I know everyone is questioning the O Line and for good reason since the Bengals let their two best O Linemen walk. But looking deeper, the Bengals really didn't try very hard to bring them back either, so there's that and the Bengals, I believe, think that Fisher and Ogbuhei will be as good if not better than those who went to other teams.

Then, throw in this Draft that the Bengals just had on O and D, the pickup of Minter plus losing the slow and old Maualuga and Peko and Billings from last years draft, a new kicker and that CB from last years draft. The Bengals are going to be pretty good.

The Browns are the Browns and will always be the Browns although they will be better but I don't see them ever being good enough to win the AFCN...not in the next ten years anyway.

The Ravens aren't the same and will be just good enough for a few years to stay right around .500. They will be good again once Flacco retires and they can focus on a new QB and system.

The Steelers will only be good as long as Rothlisberger can stay healthy and I do not see him playing more than six games this year. He's getting old and takes too many chances leaving him open for big hits.

Just my opinion.

I dont think there is anyone, anywhere in the building that thinks that Ced is going to be as good as Whitworth.  Did they try to bring Whit back - yes, they offered him a shorter deal.

I don't think they tried to bring back Zeitler simply because they saw what he was going to bring on the open market and knew that there was no shot.
Reply/Quote
Sorry man, can't get on board with your reasoning, as far as the Bengals OL decisions go.

So, basically you're hoping that Ben has congestive heart failure on the field, early in the year, that the Browns continue to be the Browns, and that the Ravens fail to return to form.

As for me, I'll put my faith on the Bengals defense, and the offense will get enough big plays to carry the rest of the load.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(06-08-2017, 12:17 AM)Hammerstripes Wrote: I dont think there is anyone, anywhere in the building that thinks that Ced is going to be as good as Whitworth.  Did they try to bring Whit back - yes, they offered him a shorter deal.

I don't think they tried to bring back Zeitler simply because they saw what he was going to bring on the open market and knew that there was no shot.

(06-08-2017, 01:14 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Sorry man, can't get on board with your reasoning, as far as the Bengals OL decisions go.

So, basically you're hoping that Ben has congestive heart failure on the field, early in the year, that the Browns continue to be the Browns, and that the Ravens fail to return to form.

As for me, I'll put my faith on the Bengals defense, and the offense will get enough big plays to carry the rest of the load.

Y'all are most likely right, just wishful thinking from a middle aged man who has never seen his favorite team win a Super Bowl. I've seen them go to two Super Bowls only to have my heart and soul crushed by the 49'ers, lol.

I do think the Bengals will win 11 games this year though, win the AFCN and even get that ever elusive first playoff win. I also think that with the talent this team has and some luck thrown in here and there during the season and playoffs, this team will or is good enough to win a Super Bowl.

But I ain't gettin' my hopes up.
Reply/Quote
(06-08-2017, 01:40 AM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: Y'all are most likely right, just wishful thinking from a middle aged man who has never seen his favorite team win a Super Bowl. I've seen them go to two Super Bowls only to have my heart and soul crushed by the 49'ers, lol.

I do think the Bengals will win 11 games this year though, win the AFCN and even get that ever elusive first playoff win. I also think that with the talent this team has and some luck thrown in here and there during the season and playoffs, this team will or is good enough to win a Super Bowl.

But I ain't gettin' my hopes up.

Oh come on man? Mike B just bought a new set of cletes and was looking forward to stomping a mud hole in your hopes and dreams. Let him aerate your heart!

Reply/Quote
(06-08-2017, 12:14 AM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: I know everyone is questioning the O Line and for good reason since the Bengals let their two best O Linemen walk. But looking deeper, the Bengals really didn't try very hard to bring them back either, so there's that and the Bengals, I believe, think that Fisher and Ogbuhei will be as good if not better than those who went to other teams.

Just my opinion.

The Browns will be better, no question, especially with the emphasis they have placed on their offensive line.  The Ravens have been taking some lumps on the injury front on a team that is already paper-thin in terms of depth.  The AFC North is a two-team race, between pitt and the Bengals.  I think our defense was upgraded more than theirs in the offseason, but they still have to prove it this upcoming season.

For the Bengals this upcoming season, I am actually most excited about the offense.  Not just because of the additions of Ross and Mixon, but the contract-year status of guys like Hill and Eifert.  Even if I don't see Hill as being here in the future, he could be a huge impact if he performs well in his contract year.  

I know most of the concern lies at the feet of Ogbuehi, but I honestly believe he will have a solid season.  Not only will he complete his first camp without injury, but the team will have more healthy TEs that will allow them to go with two TE sets that could help him out, as well as the vertical threat of Ross, Core, and perhaps Malone drawing safeties off the line.  

The Bengal's are absolutely loaded on offense, and for whatever reason, no one (outside of here) seems to notice.  Good.  I think they play better when less is expected of them.  
Reply/Quote

Just my opinion.

I disagree with your assessment on Roethlisberger. Ben Roethlisberger has always played the same way, and he showed no signs last year of any rapid decline or becoming fragile. He played 14 games. During his 13-year career, he's played in at least 12 games every year. Now if you were to say he'd miss at least some games this year, that'd be much more believable given he's only played a full season three out of 13 years. I'd say he's much more likely to miss 2-6 games.

You're better off assuming one of his weapons will be out a majority of the season, as that's happened more often (Bell multiple times, Bryant all last year and Green much of last year).
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(06-08-2017, 12:14 AM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: I know everyone is questioning the O Line and for good reason since the Bengals let their two best O Linemen walk. But looking deeper, the Bengals really didn't try very hard to bring them back either, so there's that and the Bengals  think that Fisher and Ogbuhei will be as good if not better than those who went to other teams.

Sorry, but if this is true anyone on the Bengals who has anything to do with player evaluation needs to be fired immediately. 
[Image: 85d8232ebbf088d606250ddec1641e7b.jpg]
Reply/Quote

Just my opinion.

Nothing wrong with a little Homerism. I'm trying to be a little cautious with my optimism right now. Can't ignore the ??? on the Oline. I understand why they had to do it. I think they had to save money for the next wave of players that we need to re-sign. It's a gamble. We'll see if it pays off. For us to win the division, not only does the Oline need to step up, but Eifert and AJ have to stay healthy. Injuries are always an issue, but those two are particularly important to our success. 
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
Oh c'mon all you Deborah D Downers.. This is gonna be OUR YEAR!  I know this because I have a secret pile of sooth saying saw dust that told me so and the saw dust has never been known to be wrong.  Plus I might even go fishing this season and we all know what happens when I go fishing during games.. AmIright er what?
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
whether we win AFCN will depend on our games against the Steelers. No way we win division if we have our standard two losses.
Reply/Quote
It'll depend on who actually makes the final 53, and how they're used. I'm cautiously optimistic the Bengals will have a better year than last. Anything more than that will depend on Gramp's sawdust.
Reply/Quote
letting go of peko is my favorite move so far this offseason. followed up by mixon being drafted and bring back andre smith
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
(06-08-2017, 01:14 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Sorry man, can't get on board with your reasoning, as far as the Bengals OL decisions go.

Is it bad that I wouldn't be sad at all if this happened??  Ninja

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(06-09-2017, 09:55 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Is it bad that I wouldn't be sad at all if this happened??  Ninja

Yeah, I don't wish death on the guy, but I wouldn't lose any sleep if someone took his knee out..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Sorry guys, but I think the Steelers win the division. They have a better offense. It will take a year or two for Mixon and Ross to adjust to the NFL speed. I think our future is bright in a few years.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(06-09-2017, 07:14 AM)grampahol Wrote: Oh c'mon all you Deborah D Downers.. This is gonna be OUR YEAR!  I know this because I have a secret pile of sooth saying saw dust that told me so and the saw dust has never been known to be wrong.  Plus I might even go fishing this season and we all know what happens when I go fishing during games.. AmIright er what?

Through "fundme" we will buy you a friggen lake!

Reply/Quote
(06-09-2017, 10:05 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Yeah, I don't wish death on the guy, but I wouldn't lose any sleep if someone took his knee out..

I just hope he gets sacked so hard by Jordan Willis that he poops his pants on a National stage (MNF) and the sidelines all erupt in laughter.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-6GbSy7x_k
Reply/Quote
(06-09-2017, 11:40 PM)guyofthetiger Wrote: Sorry guys, but I think the Steelers win the division. They have a better offense. It will take a year or two for Mixon and Ross to adjust to the NFL speed. I think our future is bright in a few years.

Do they?  Aside from running back (and Mixon is an unknown), where do you see them better position by position?  I know National pundits will say QB, but Dalton has been every bit as good as piggy in their recent matches, but had some bad calls/bad luck.  

I also see our defense as better.  

Not trying to homer, but honestly, if everyone is healthy (and that is a big if), where are they better?  Is their offensive line superior without the weapons they have had spreading defenses out?  Plus, they get to hold without flags, so I guess they have that going for them.  
Reply/Quote
Hah...

Reply/Quote