Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Why the Rams win
We all know about the struggles of the OL and with the Rams excellent DL that’s likely to continue. But not many people realize that LA’s secondary is about as good as it gets. We haven’t played (much less defeated) a secondary so good.

Further, we are averaging a low 19 points per game against Vic Fangio-style defenses. Raheem Morris runs the former Rams DC Brandon Staley’s (a Vic Fangio disciple) defense which he adopted in this, his first year as Rams DC). Morris’ preferred defense is a zone heavy, cover 2, 4-3 Under look (Pete Carrol, Dan Quinn).

I also don’t like all the energy the Bengals have used up as we prepare for Sunday’s game. The Bengals are getting the rock star treatment while the Rams have quietly have been low-key.

I hope I’m wrong, but I rarely mess up my predictions.
Reply/Quote
I can't speak to the defensive matchup, but on the energy front, I don't agree. There's a difference between people using energy, and people building energy. I think the team is building energy and goes into the game fired up. Hopefully not to the point they're making mistakes, but most of them seem to be pretty business as usual in their approach to the game. Their desire to go out and prove something is exactly the energy that's gotten them this far, so going in completely quiet doesn't seem to be in their best interest this year.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I really enjoy going to threads and not seeing it full of members that joined May 2015
-The only bengals fan that has never set foot in Cincinnati 1-15-22
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2022, 02:49 PM)CoachGeorge Wrote: We all know about the struggles of the OL and with the Rams excellent DL that’s likely to continue.  But not many people realize that LA’s secondary is about as good as it gets.  We haven’t played (much less defeated) a secondary so good.

Further, we are averaging a low 19 points per game against Vic Fangio-style defenses.  Raheem Morris runs the former Rams DC Brandon Staley’s (a Vic Fangio disciple) defense which he adopted in this, his first year as Rams DC). Morris’ preferred defense is a zone heavy, cover 2, 4-3 Under look (Pete Carrol, Dan Quinn).

I also don’t like all the energy the Bengals have used up as we prepare for Sunday’s game.  The Bengals are getting the rock star treatment while the Rams have quietly have been low-key.

I hope I’m wrong, but I rarely mess up my predictions.

Very insightful.

I certainly did not know that "LA’s secondary is about as good as it gets," beyond Ramsey. Many posters were considering it a weakness.

ESPN has an article where each starting player and a selection of other players is evaluated in terms of their PFF grades. PFF and ESPN did this last year as well. But I don't have a subscription to either, so I don't know the ratings. It might help in evaluating the Rams secondary.

Yes, it seems this week that the Bengals are getting the rock star treatment. I think this is because they were ignored all year, not highlighted in prime time games, and so they are the new unknown. But I do expect the coverage will swing back to the Rams later in the week. Certainly, Aaron Donald is being praised all over the place already.
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2022, 02:55 PM)MileHighGrowler Wrote: I can't speak to the defensive matchup, but on the energy front, I don't agree.  There's a difference between people using energy, and people building energy.  I think the team is building energy and goes into the game fired up.  Hopefully not to the point they're making mistakes, but most of them seem to be pretty business as usual in their approach to the game.  Their desire to go out and prove something is exactly the energy that's gotten them this far, so going in completely quiet doesn't seem to be in their best interest this year.

Yes, I also disagree with the Rams secondary being great, they are mid tier. They get up big with their explosive Offense and 
stop the run cause teams abandon it trying to get back in the game. Ramsey is a great Corner but Chase, Higgins, Boyd, Mixon,
Uzo when healthy are extremely formidable and we don't turn the ball over like the Rams have been doing on Offense.

We also have a great DL that can get pressure without blitzing which is how you fluster Stafford. Hilton has shut down Kupp 
before when he was on the Steelers, so there is hope there even with my biggest concern. Our Safeties and LB's have been 
playing great in these Playoffs.

This is why the Bengals win. We will be able to slow down the run and pressure Stafford causing turnovers.

Burrow will be pressured but he is great under pressure unlike Stafford.
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2022, 02:56 PM)basballguy Wrote: I really enjoy going to threads and not seeing it full of members that joined May 2015

Well, to be honest, a lot of us where on the old boards and never transitioned. And a lot of us have been lurking on this board for years. But this team has been so special this year that it spurred some of us to go ahead and register. I've was on the old board for about a decade and never transitioned to this board, sitting quietly even during the Chase/Sewell debates. It great to be part of the community again during this historic run.
Reply/Quote
I don't care if you give the credit to the pass rush or the coverage, the fact is that the Rams have a very good pass defense.  #2 in pass TDs allowed (17), #3 in interceptions (19), and #5 in opponents passer rating (83.8).
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2022, 02:56 PM)basballguy Wrote: I really enjoy going to threads and not seeing it full of members that joined May 2015

Too bad the true join date can't be grandfathered in from the old board.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(02-09-2022, 03:04 PM)Davis777 Wrote: ARE U KIDDING ME !! THE MEDIA IS ALL OVER CIN AND JOE BURROW S JOCK STRAP !!!

WE DONT CARE WE LAY LOW !!!! SMASH MOUTH FOOTBALL IS ABOUT TO HIT PURSE BOY IN THE MOUTH!!! KEEP BASHING OUR FAN BASE

I agree, Joe has become a media darling (I mean, we've never had one, so...), but you might be in for a little surprise if you think this kid isn't as tough as they come. That's not Homer talk either....go look at the 2018 UCF/LSU game highlights, then get back to us. 

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(02-09-2022, 02:59 PM)Nepa Wrote: Very insightful.

I certainly did not know that "LA’s secondary is about as good as it gets," beyond Ramsey. Many posters were considering it a weakness.

ESPN has an article where each starting player and a selection of other players is evaluated in terms of their PFF grades. PFF and ESPN did this last year as well. But I don't have a subscription to either, so I don't know the ratings. It might help in evaluating the Rams secondary.

Yes, it seems this week that the Bengals are getting the rock star treatment. I think this is because they were ignored all year, not highlighted in prime time games, and so they are the new unknown. But I do expect the coverage will swing back to the Rams later in the week. Certainly, Aaron Donald is being praised all over the place already.

It still kind of a weakness.
Ramsey is great but they don't have a lot of other good CBs.
Safeties are solid but not outstanding.
Rams defense was 22nd in passing yards in regular season.
Their big thing has been preventing passing TDs.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Did the Rams go undefeated this season, or did I miss something?
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2022, 03:04 PM)Davis777 Wrote:  KEEP BASHING OUR FAN BASE

How about this one.

"Rams fans b so stupid they think 'all caps' makes them sound tough."
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2022, 03:15 PM)Wyche Wrote: I agree, Joe has become a media darling (I mean, we've never had one, so...), but you might be in for a little surprise if you think this kid isn't as tough as they come. That's not Homer talk either....go look at the 2018 UCF/LSU game highlights, then get back to us. 

This Rams fan must be seeing some people bashing the Rams fan base on twitter or something?

We don't do that around here. Something has this dude all jacked up LMAO!!! Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2022, 03:04 PM)Davis777 Wrote: ARE U KIDDING ME !! THE MEDIA IS ALL OVER CIN AND JOE BURROW S JOCK STRAP !!!

WE DONT CARE WE LAY LOW !!!! SMASH MOUTH FOOTBALL IS ABOUT TO HIT PURSE BOY IN THE MOUTH!!! KEEP BASHING OUR FAN BASE

"Smash Mouth Football is about to hit Purse Boy in the Mouth?"  That's got to be top 5 all time ignorant sentences ever typed on this board. Son, do you even realize what Division we play in? You're in over you head....
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2022, 03:04 PM)Davis777 Wrote: ...SMASH MOUTH FOOTBALL IS ABOUT TO HIT PURSE BOY IN THE MOUTH!!! 

Ummmm, the Bengals play in the TOUGHEST "Smash Mouth" division in football... the AFC North.
The Rams aren't bringing any type of football that Joe Burrow hasn't already seen.
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2022, 03:20 PM)Sled21 Wrote: "Smash Mouth Football is about to hit Purse Boy in the Mouth?"  That's got to be top 5 all time ignorant sentences ever typed on this board. Son, do you even realize what Division we play in? You're in over you head....

Gonna be fun... Hilarious
Reply/Quote
Looks like 1 of the Rams’ 3000 fans have found their way here.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

Reply/Quote

But understand, the Bengals were ignored all year. In the regular season, the Bengals had one primetime game. The Rams had five primetime games. The Bengals never even got a game flexed to primetime.

Even in the playoffs, the Bengals were given the least of the slots in terms of expected audience. They twice had the first Saturday game. Not the Saturday night game. Not the Sunday night game. The Rams had all three primetime slots in the playoffs: Monday night, Sunday night, and Sunday night.

The Bengals were virtually ignored. 

Yes, Burrow is being praised now, but he wasn't selected to the pro bowl and, until he had the historic 500-yard passing game followed by a 400-yard passing game, he was barely being mentioned. Herbert was being played up more than Burrow. Lamar Jackson was being played up more than Burrow.

So, the Bengals and Burrow are unknown to the audience. The Rams have been talked about all year. So, naturally the Bengals are now being talked about. No one the hell seemed to care about them all year and suddenly they are in the Super Bowl.
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2022, 03:21 PM)Davis777 Wrote: YOU HAVE A THREAD ABOUT BASHING OUR FAN BASE!! KEEP DOING IT !

Let me look...

I don't see it. Mellow

Keep calling Joe Burrow a pretty boy, keep doing it. Our team is made to play physical it is why we beat the Titans.

That is a physical team like the Bengals, Ravens, Browns and Steelers.
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2022, 03:24 PM)Davis777 Wrote: SB RALLY THREAD !!

Oh, thanks. Didn't see that. That is BS. You had limited tickets like us but you had even more limited only 3000 tickets.

No need to bash that.
Reply/Quote