Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Why the squabbles among fans of the same team?
I still read the board daily, but rarely take the time to post anymore. It's not just the squabbles and personal attacks, it's the same shit posted by the same people just phrased differently. Now, we're bringing posts back from the dead just to pat ourselves on the back.

I can't stand Mike Brown and what he has done to our team. However, there are a lot of things we know simply aren't going to change. The scouting department isn't going to get bigger/improved, we're not going to suddenly become players in free agency, we're not going to stop overvaluing compensatory picks, so on and so forth. Add in the Dalton forum and still plenty of Dalton sucks posts in Jungle Noise and it's almost always the same thing over and over.

I don't want everyone to agree and I enjoy a good discussion/debate as much as anyone. We just continuously beat the same dead horse every day.

I'm sure someone will tell me to leave or some other personal something, but there are some brilliant posts and posters on here. Even some I don't agree with tend to post logically as opposed to emotionally. There are a lot of knowledgeable fans on here.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2019, 10:15 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: responding to failures is one thing... Constant crying bitching and moaning about things none of us can control is over the top.

Objective thoughts as to what can help... would be awesome conversation unfortantely most here think running a team is like playing madden

Post of the century!
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2019, 10:49 AM)muskiesfan Wrote: I still read the board daily, but rarely take the time to post anymore. It's not just the squabbles and personal attacks, it's the same shit posted by the same people just phrased differently. Now, we're bringing posts back from the dead just to pat ourselves on the back.

I can't stand Mike Brown and what he has done to our team. However, there are a lot of things we know simply aren't going to change. The scouting department isn't going to get bigger/improved, we're not going to suddenly become players in free agency, we're not going to stop overvaluing compensatory picks, so on and so forth. Add in the Dalton forum and still plenty of Dalton sucks posts in Jungle Noise and it's almost always the same thing over and over.

I don't want everyone to agree and I enjoy a good discussion/debate as much as anyone. We just continuously beat the same dead horse every day.

I'm sure someone will tell me to leave or some other personal something, but there are some brilliant posts and posters on here. Even some I don't agree with tend to post logically as opposed to emotionally. There are a lot of knowledgeable fans on here.
Another great post! I have slowed my adding to posts anymore also. It's like a Merry-Go-Round sometimes, ok most times, in here. So don't leave, we will be singing a different tune on here shortly!
Reply/Quote
Personally, I believe sports and sports teams provide an essential outlet for argument and emotion that most people can't or won't have in their daily lives. Professional sports gives people a chance to care about something that technically has no effect upon their lives and to "be a part" of something they have absolutely no influence over.

Besides, even if we are all optimistic we are going to find ways to disagree over said optimism. Person A can be optimistic that Dalton can have a resurgence under ZT while person B can be optimistic that we will stink enough this year to draft the QB of the future who will thrive under ZT's coaching. Optimist A will start getting pessimistic by pointing out that the QB we draft could be the next Paxton Lynch or David Klingler and that trusting Mike Brown to draft a QB is a risk...uh oh, now we're getting less optimistic. Optimist B points out that Dalton has only had a single good year and other mean things in order to make the point that we can and will draft a better QB.

And so on and so forth. Basically, if we all start getting optimistic you're going to see optimists argue over which optimistic view is right and which is wrong. That's just human nature.
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2019, 08:20 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Being a fan of the Bengals is a lot like being a part of a family. Some teams have large, nationwide fan bases, the Bengals are not one of those teams. The Bengals have the unsavory tag of being a "small market" team, and therefore our numbers as fans are also reflective of that designation. It's true, the team is off to a bad start, losing three to open the season, and two of those games very winnable. This is nothing new to the older Bengal fans. We have seen the last three head coaches of the team start their careers 0-3. With that in mind, let's all try to get through this transition together, without making enemies of one another.

It's a rough time for all fans, both optimistic and pessimistic. No matter how one chooses to articulate and display their thoughts and feelings about what is shaping up to be a bad season, we do need to keep a few things in mind. We are all fans of the same team, or else we wouldn't be here. And with the previous statement being true, fans of other teams are likely happy for our misery, and we need to stay peaceful amongst ourselves. As Bengal fans, all we have is eachother, nobody else gives a damn about the Bengals but us.

With that in mind, I ask everyone to have a little understanding for how their fellow fans choose to respond to the teams failures. Don't respond with vitriol, don't make things personal. Maybe show a bit of resilience, toughen up a little bit, let some things roll by.

Why squabbles among fans?...because everyone is wrong except me Ninja
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2019, 08:20 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Being a fan of the Bengals is a lot like being a part of a family.  Some teams have large, nationwide fan bases, the Bengals are not one of those teams.  The Bengals have the unsavory tag of being a "small market" team, and therefore our numbers as fans are also reflective of that designation.  It's true, the team is off to a bad start, losing three to open the season, and two of those games very winnable.  This is nothing new to the older Bengal fans.  We have seen the last three head coaches of the team start their careers 0-3.  With that in mind, let's all try to get through this transition together, without making enemies of one another.  

It's a rough time for all fans, both optimistic and pessimistic.  No matter how one chooses to articulate and display their thoughts and feelings about what is shaping up to be a bad season, we do need to keep a few things in mind.  We are all fans of the same team, or else we wouldn't be here.  And with the previous statement being true, fans of other teams are likely happy for our misery, and we need to stay peaceful amongst ourselves.  As Bengal fans, all we have is eachother, nobody else gives a damn about the Bengals but us.

With that in mind, I ask everyone to have a little understanding for how their fellow fans choose to respond to the teams failures.  Don't respond with vitriol, don't make things personal. Maybe show a bit of resilience, toughen up a little bit, let some things roll by.  

Yes, need to stay classy and not go all crazy on people whether they are overly negative or positive.

It is rough being 0-3 at this point but it is not like we haven't been here before.
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2019, 11:19 PM)BengalChris Wrote: I believe you are stating a truth.

ZT may or may not get things going. We won't really know until either the season ends or he does get things going.

I imagine the Pittsburgh boards are on fire about right now.

The Bengals fans have a right to be pissed at this team presently, particularly the front office and their New Dey campaign promising the problem (Marv) is gone and there's a bright season ahead. Then they deliver a goose egg.

In retrospect it wasn't all that hard to see coming. The 3 year deal to Hart, the 3 year deal to 8 teams in 7 years Webb and no real meaningful upgrades during the off-season. In fact, I'll state right now that the biggest upgrade to the roster is at backup QB at this point in time. My views on that may change as the season progresses and a rookie has a chance to stand out.

Basically this is last year's team with a new coach and playbook and last year's coach and playbook did a better job. Sad to say, but it is true, at least 3 games into the season.

Marv was never the real problem with the Bengals.
The problem has always been Mike Brown and his screw ball thinking process. Nothing will ever really be fixed with this team until he and his whole way of thinking are gone.

Does saying all that makes me a bad fan? Mike Brown would probably say, "yes without a doubt." But I don't answer to Mike Brown. He's the one who is suppose to be providing the service in exchange for an awful lot of money.

Eh, Marv wasn't the problem in the regular season when not playing in Primetime games or against the Steelers.

0-7 is a problem though, anyway you slice it.

(09-25-2019, 09:50 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Right

I have no problem with a poster saying MB sucks, ZT stinks, player A is awful, today's gameplan was stupid. That'a their opinion and that's cool, and I sometimes agree.

It's when somebody is on here and 97.5 out of 100 posts is slamming everything Bengals that it starts getting under your skin. It's like they're not truly Bengal fans they're just here to bash and be right.

I've bashed MB as much as anybody but I'm trying hard to avoid that now because it does nothing but get me upset and I can't do anything about it so why drone on incessantly about it ?

There's a difference between a rant and an agenda.

Great post.  Rock On 

(09-25-2019, 10:15 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: responding to failures is one thing... Constant crying bitching and moaning about things none of us can control is over the top.

Objective thoughts as to what can help... would be awesome conversation unfortantely most here think running a team is like playing madden

And another great post, well done. ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2019, 12:30 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yes, need to stay classy and not go all crazy on people whether they are overly negative or positive.

It is rough being 0-3 at this point but it is not like we haven't been here before.

Agreed. And this post is from one of the class guys on this board.

Following are three truisms:
1) Emotions manifest themselves physically, as related to sports. Takosubu Syndrome, also referred to as Broken Heart Syndrome, is a quasi heart attack, the incidence of which increases right after major sporting events. The first time I saw this about a decade ago at a symposium, it opened my eyes to the significance of sports in our society.

2) This board is essential in allowing our fellow Bengal brethren to vent - but to an extent. The collective psyche of any group affects individual members.

3) I truly enjoyed the Hawks and Bills games. We were in it till the last drive. The reason why I enjoyed it, is because I have my expectations aligned with the reality of our situation - specifically 3rd string LOT, 3 new starters on OL, injuries to OL and AJ.

Let's hope for a good showing in Pitt!!!
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2019, 08:20 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Being a fan of the Bengals is a lot like being a part of a family.  Some teams have large, nationwide fan bases, the Bengals are not one of those teams.  The Bengals have the unsavory tag of being a "small market" team, and therefore our numbers as fans are also reflective of that designation.  It's true, the team is off to a bad start, losing three to open the season, and two of those games very winnable.  This is nothing new to the older Bengal fans.  We have seen the last three head coaches of the team start their careers 0-3.  With that in mind, let's all try to get through this transition together, without making enemies of one another.  

It's a rough time for all fans, both optimistic and pessimistic.  No matter how one chooses to articulate and display their thoughts and feelings about what is shaping up to be a bad season, we do need to keep a few things in mind.  We are all fans of the same team, or else we wouldn't be here.  And with the previous statement being true, fans of other teams are likely happy for our misery, and we need to stay peaceful amongst ourselves.  As Bengal fans, all we have is eachother, nobody else gives a damn about the Bengals but us.

With that in mind, I ask everyone to have a little understanding for how their fellow fans choose to respond to the teams failures.  Don't respond with vitriol, don't make things personal. Maybe show a bit of resilience, toughen up a little bit, let some things roll by.  

Well said SUNSET BENGAL.I AM TRYING TO COOL IT AND JUST ENJOY,BUT I AM hoping ZT files a former complaint againt bad refs for not calling holding in the Bills game it was terrible.
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2019, 01:49 PM)fortyyearfan Wrote: Well said SUNSET BENGAL.I AM TRYING TO COOL IT AND JUST ENJOY,BUT I AM hoping ZT files a former complaint againt bad refs for not calling holding in the Bills game it was terrible.

not likely to get better now that the steeler's owner rooney is basically in control of godells paycheck
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2019, 01:49 PM)fortyyearfan Wrote: Well said SUNSET BENGAL.I AM TRYING TO COOL IT AND JUST ENJOY,BUT I AM hoping ZT files a former complaint againt bad refs for not calling holding in the Bills game it was terrible.

If he does that the NFL will just point to the latter of the law.
Reply/Quote
I dunno..Personally anyone who ever disagrees with anything I ever say should be shot and their families deported.
No? OK, so perhaps that's just a tad over the top. I'll forgive you all for thinking not so wonderful things about me from time to time.  Smirk
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote

Reply/Quote
(09-24-2019, 10:36 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: A debate, absolutely.

But constant bashing and taking the piss out of every little thing? Absolutely not.

The latter is happening SIGNIFICANTLY more than the former.

I second this, good post! I'm also living far from the Cincy area (getting ready to move even further) and I like the interaction I can find with other Bengals fans here as long as it's not super crazy negative all the time. I also agree with the OP, in the end we're all Bengals fans and let's be honest there ain't that many of us out there so we gotta stay civil with each other through robust disagreements. 
Confucius say, he who go to bed with itchy butt wake up with smelly finger.
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2019, 03:01 PM)grampahol Wrote: I dunno..Personally anyone who ever disagrees with anything I ever say should be shot and their families deported.
No? OK, so perhaps that's just a tad over the top. I'll forgive you all for thinking not so wonderful things about me from time to time.  Smirk

Are you trying to get deported to Azores gramps?

I don't think it works that way.
Reply/Quote
So is the Bengals beer mug half-empty or half-full? ha!
Reply/Quote
As the saying goes, if you hate the weather in Cincinnati, wait until tomorrow, it can go from snow to sunny and 60 degrees. Of course, that makes the warmer weather person happy, but the snow skier upset.

Problem is we are stuck in a blizzard with all of the losing, the cure is winning again to stop the in fighting.

But, I agree no place for personal attacks so let me the first to apologize in this thread if anyone ever felt I personally attacked them or another member.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
In life (not just on football message boards) there are certain people who just like to say how much everything sucks. I am sure you all know a person like this. All music sucks except for their favorite performers. All restaurants suck except for their favorites. All beer sucks except for their favorites. All cars suck except for their favorites. These people are generally dealing with low self esteem issues. The only way they know to make themselves feel better is to declare how nothing is good enough for them. The only way they can pull themselves up is to pull everything else down.

So not only does all that music and beer and restaurants and cars and Bengals suck, but people who like any of those sucky things are inferior due to their lack of knowledge or taste. Or else they just "accept mediocrity".

We really don't have a lot of people here like that, and right now no one has to have self esteem issues in order to be complaining about the Bengals, but you all know the type of people I am talking about. There are not a lot of them but they are very vocal. And they are the ones who stir up most of the shit.
Reply/Quote
I don't know but I think a better question would be " why do we as fans root for this team with this idiot owner?) I've paid personally thousands and thousands of dollars as a fan, but Paul died and this idiot son of his that knows NOTHING about football whatsoever takes over and we don't win anything!!!

Try that shit in NY and Pennsylvania and the fans would shoot the current owners.

Personally I don't give a shit if this moron owner of the Bengals moves the team, but I really don't think any other city would want him either and his losing mentality!

I can't stand to lose at anything and to be losing like this team does has nothing to do with players or coaches, but this butt wipe owner!! ThumbsUp

Reply/Quote
(09-25-2019, 04:15 PM)Bengalitis Wrote: So is the Bengals beer mug half-empty or half-full? ha!

If your mug is half empty, get a smaller mug.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote