Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why we are actually a healthy team right now: The Importance of Depth
I thought some of "the sky is falling" people could use some perspective. A post I put in another thread:

"Let me make a list of guys who aren't injured for you.

Carlos Dunlap, Geno Atkins, Andy Dalton, A.J. Green, Adam Jones, Gio Bernard, George Iloka, Kevin Zeitler.

The only important pieces I'd say we're missing atm are Eifert and Burfict. I think Hill is fine and most of the other injuries we have just aren't that significant right now.

So I'd say we have 9 of our top 12 players available (if you include Hill, that's 10), which is saying a lot considering how good our top 12 are versus the top 12 players of most other teams."

In all actuality, we're pretty healthy as far as our starters go. As long as our top players are healthy, this team should continue the success they had last year. I don't see any reason why they wouldn't at this point.
Formerly w8ing 4 '08
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
Agreed. And that's why I'm not too worried.

If this was 'AJ Green is injured' instead of 'LaFell has a hand injury' I'd be worried. Or Dunlap instead of Ogbuehi. But right now, the core of the team is mostly in good shape.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Wait, so the end of days is not upon us!?    Ninja

No sweat on these dings we keep microanalyzing.  Come Sept. 11, we'll open the season undefeated and we'll have all forgotten all about these injuries we're spending so much time freaking out about.  Everything is just peachy in the Jungle at the moment!  ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2016, 05:36 PM)Benton Wrote: Agreed. And that's why I'm not too worried.

If this was 'AJ Green is injured' instead of 'LaFell has a hand injury' I'd be worried. Or Dunlap instead of Ogbuehi. But right now, the core of the team is mostly in good shape.

Mostly agreed, but I will put this out there. It might just be LaFell hurt instead of AJ, but we saw what happened the last time the receiving corp was just AJ and scrubs in 2014, and it wasn't pretty for the passing offense.  Combine LaFell with Eifert injury-wise, and it's pretty freaking barren outside of AJ.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2016, 05:41 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Mostly agreed, but I will put this out there. It might just be LaFell hurt instead of AJ, but we saw what happened the last time the receiving corp was just AJ and scrubs in 2014, and it wasn't pretty for the passing offense.  Combine LaFell with Eifert injury-wise, and it's pretty freaking barren outside of AJ.

Don't forget our AFC offensive ROY candidate:  Tyler Boyd

barren in terms of previous experience in the NFL, certainly.  barren in terms of NFL caliber talent, I think not.  Though I obviously have no ability to back that up with statistics  LOL  but our 'scrubs' this year do seem much better than our scrubs in '14
Reply/Quote
Shhhh you weren't supposed to post this. Now good people will actually get injured. Ninja
Reply/Quote
Any time any team can go right into the dump with injuries.. QB, WR's, DL, corners, etc... And if it happens and we lose the lion share of our best players for the season and end up going 2-14 it just means a great draft next year..
There just has to be a silver lining to all bad news in football..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
We're also not the only team in the league dealing with injuries. Seems like a player somewhere is tearing their ACL on a daily basis.

Injury reports from just the teams in our division:

Ravens  16 players

Steelers  10 players

Browns  18 players
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2016, 10:50 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: We're also not the only team in the league dealing with injuries. Seems like a player somewhere is tearing their ACL on a daily basis.

Injury reports from just the teams in our division:

Ravens  16 players

Steelers  10 players

Browns  18 players

And hey, I realize it's in the NFC but the header on nfl.com mentions Bruce Arians being hospitalized with stomach pains.
Reply/Quote