Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wil Hill Bust Out This Week?!
(09-22-2016, 09:12 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: Denver has allowed the 2nd most rushing yards in the league through two games, but has allowed the 2nd fewest passing yards and have the 2nd most sacks this season.

Given the struggles the offensive line has seemed to have pass blocking and the fact that Hill has yet to be allowed to just break loose, is this the week that we give him 25+ carries and he returns to beast mode?

Will this be the week that gets his confidence back and gets him back on track for the year?

I'm PRAYING we do because I think this could be his return to the top of the Hill!

We just need to run him north/south and not east/west.

I don't think he has a confidence issue at all.  He looked great in the pre-season.  Yes, it was the pre-season but you could tell  that he has his mind set on running north/south.

Personally, the title of this thread should be "Will the O-line Bust Out This Week in the Run Game?"
Reply/Quote
Get Hewitt in the game, with his hand on the ground in front of Hill, and the running game will improve.
Reply/Quote
I feel like someone has asked this question with total sincerity every game week since it was clear early in 2015 that 2014 Hill wasn't the norm. One year later and we eagerly await Hill to "break out this week."
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2016, 07:08 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I feel like someone has asked this question with total sincerity every game week since it was clear early in 2015 that 2014 Hill wasn't the norm.  One year later and we eagerly await Hill to "break out this week."

Same. 
[Image: 85d8232ebbf088d606250ddec1641e7b.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2016, 09:12 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: Denver has allowed the 2nd most rushing yards in the league through two games, but has allowed the 2nd fewest passing yards and have the 2nd most sacks this season.

Given the struggles the offensive line has seemed to have pass blocking and the fact that Hill has yet to be allowed to just break loose, is this the week that we give him 25+ carries and he returns to beast mode?

Will this be the week that gets his confidence back and gets him back on track for the year?

I'm PRAYING we do because I think this could be his return to the top of the Hill!

We just need to run him north/south and not east/west.

I don't know which Bengal will "bust out", but I believe they will beat Denver soundly.  
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2016, 07:08 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I feel like someone has asked this question with total sincerity every game week since it was clear early in 2015 that 2014 Hill wasn't the norm.  One year later and we eagerly await Hill to "break out this week."

^^^^^^ This.
Reply/Quote
Probably not.....hard for Hill or Bernard to bust out not getting any carries....I don't know what Zampese is doing, but Super Bowl Champs are the team to slap this Zampese stuff in our face and say to get that garbage out of here.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
I feel like Hue had very good scripted drives, we scored on our first drive almost every time last year - it always put teams in a hole! Remember it was the 3rd game (late against baltimore) when we were first behind, and Dalton/AJ said no - we ain't losing yet.

I think they should try putting the no huddle offense into Andy's hands. He seems to perform very well in no huddle.
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2016, 09:59 PM)kevin Wrote: Probably not.....hard for Hill or Bernard to bust out not getting any carries....I don't know what Zampese is doing, but Super Bowl Champs are the team to slap this Zampese stuff in our face and say to get that garbage out of here.

As much as I want to nail Zampese to a cross I wager we'd be sitting at 0-2 at the moment if he forced more 2.5 yard carries into the game plan.  Our running game hain't working.  Or maybe we should run Hill like we're playing Tecmo Bowl.  Keep calling RUN 1 and getting stuffed until the computer picks PASS 2 and we can finally cash in with a 45 yarder.

I'll throw Zampese's lack of run plays under the bus when we crack 3.5 YPC as a team and he still refuses to run the ball.  Until then it just seems like the guy is making the less than damnable decision to not stick with a lame-o plan that has 0 chance o' success. Let's be honest, if the Steelers were averaging 2.0 YPC against us and they kept calling run plays and keeping the ball out of Ben and Brown's hands we would have been laughing our asses off and winning, not bracing ourselves for how much damage they are going to do once the run game "wakes up" or whatever we think is going to happen around here.
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2016, 02:11 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Not saying the blocking has been good, I think we all can agree it hasn't been.

That said, the most interesting point of that article? (I know we're dealing in small samples still.)

Hill: 1.15 yards before contact
Gio: 1.60 yards before contact

Doesn't matter if there's holes or not if Hill keeps dancing.

Of course if those numbers are accurate, it also means that Hill is only averaging 1.50 yards after contact. That is an unacceptable number for a 235lb running back. Oddly enough right in line with last year's production, though. He ran for 3.6ypc last year, averaged 2.1ypc before contact, bringing him right at 1.50 yards after contact.

Is Jeremy Hill soft? Because two straight years of 1.50 yards after contact is suggesting that it might not be an anomaly. That's a bad number for any RB, let alone a 6'1, 235lb one.

Something that prevents drawing any conclusions from that data is the difference in roles.

While it is only two games thus far, Jeremy has more instances in short yardage situations where the defense is playing to stop the run.  Meanwhile Gio has more instances of running out of down and distance situations where the defensive focus is the pass.

Over the course of the season, this situational play will make even more of an impact on that data.
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2016, 11:34 AM)Nately120 Wrote: As much as I want to nail Zampese to a cross I wager we'd be sitting at 0-2 at the moment if he forced more 2.5 yard carries into the game plan.  Our running game hain't working.  Or maybe we should run Hill like we're playing Tecmo Bowl.  Keep calling RUN 1 and getting stuffed until the computer picks PASS 2 and we can finally cash in with a 45 yarder.

I'll throw Zampese's lack of run plays under the bus when we crack 3.5 YPC as a team and he still refuses to run the ball.  Until then it just seems like the guy is making the less than damnable decision to not stick with a lame-o plan that has 0 chance o' success.  Let's be honest, if the Steelers were averaging 2.0 YPC against us and they kept calling run plays and keeping the ball out of Ben and Brown's hands we would have been laughing our asses off and winning, not bracing ourselves for how much damage they are going to do once the run game "wakes up" or whatever we think is going to happen around here.

What's funny is Marvin told Sirius during their Training Camp Tour that he is still adamant about the need to stick with the run game regardless of the outcome.  This is not verbatim, but he said, "you can't predict how many blows it will take to split a rock in two, but you have to keep hammering at it for it to happen.  Even if you can't see an impact, the repeated stress will take its toll and is necessary to achieve the goal of breaking it apart."

I suspect the scoreboard and game clock have had an impact in our lack of calling the run.
Reply/Quote
Depends on whether or not they've done anything to fix our O line play.
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2016, 12:05 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: What's funny is Marvin told Sirius during their Training Camp Tour that he is still adamant about the need to stick with the run game regardless of the outcome.  This is not verbatim, but he said, "you can't predict how many blows it will take to split a rock in two, but you have to keep hammering at it for it to happen.  Even if you can't see an impact, the repeated stress will take its toll and is necessary to achieve the goal of breaking it apart."

I suspect the scoreboard and game clock have had an impact in our lack of calling the run.

I live in Steeler country so I have to tell you that when Bettis retired and Pig Ben and Wallace were torching secondaries fans around here were calling for Arians' head because he refused to run Mendenhall up the gut for 3 yards 50 times per game.  Then again, the same people who yearn for a 3 yard run up the gut nearly piss their pants with glee when the QB hits a WR for a 40 yard gain.

You just can't please everyone.  I will say that right now (and last year) I see Hill not getting many yards and still fumbling but I also see Dalton flirting with top-tier playing, so I don't see the insistence to take the ball out of his hands an obscene number of times and force an anemic part of the team to lead the charge.  

Then again, I hope the Bengals' cheese slips off their proverbial cracker for one game and they just run Hill over and over and over and over and over again so we can finally figure out if this narrative makes sense.  I see Forte and Williams having 30+ carries and getting 100 yards and the win, so there you have it.  
Reply/Quote
Yes.

Jeremy Hill will bust out this week.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote

I feel like someone has been clamoring for Hill to be given the ball running downhill and instead of east and west and has been claiming that that's his problem.  

I feel like a lot of people have posted smart ass comments and sarcastic comments claiming that he was wrong and stupid and have been insisting that Hill just isn't any good.

I feel like we started off the game giving Hill the carries in the way that the original clamor had been wishing for and Hill was dominating, but then we abandoned it, and Hill still finished 97 yards on 17 carries with two touchdowns.

I feel like I'm pissed that we abandoned it but Hill showed that he's definitely able.

Just the way I feel.
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2016, 06:52 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: I feel like someone has been clamoring for Hill to be given the ball running downhill and instead of east and west and has been claiming that that's his problem.  

I feel like a lot of people have posted smart ass comments and sarcastic comments claiming that he was wrong and stupid and have been insisting that Hill just isn't any good.

I feel like we started off the game giving Hill the carries in the way that the original clamor had been wishing for and Hill was dominating, but then we abandoned it, and Hill still finished 97 yards on 17 carries with two touchdowns.

I feel like I'm pissed that we abandoned it but Hill showed that he's definitely able.

Just the way I feel.

At risk of sounding picky, after that 50 yard run he really did nothing. When he finished that 50 yard run, he had 3 carries for 62 yards.

After that? He had 14 carries for 35 yards. The Bengals didn't abandon it at all. He just simply stopped producing.

Heck, they stuck with him 14 times at 2.5 YPC. It's not like they didn't give him a lot of chances, they were just falling into the same problem they did last week, where short runs put them in progressively less manageable downs.

That said, I like his today much much more than his previous two weeks, lets just not pretend one run was him "dominating" and the Bengals "abandoned it".

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2016, 09:04 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: At risk of sounding picky, after that 50 yard run he really did nothing. When he finished that 50 yard run, he had 3 carries for 62 yards.

After that? He had 14 carries for 35 yards. The Bengals didn't abandon it at all. He just simply stopped producing.

Heck, they stuck with him 14 times at 2.5 YPC. It's not like they didn't give him a lot of chances, they were just falling into the same problem they did last week, where short runs put them in progressively less manageable downs.

That said, I like his today much much more than his previous two weeks, lets just not pretend one run was him "dominating" and the Bengals "abandoned it".

They were also running with an overloaded line on that first series.  Much of the first half they had extra blockers.  So much so that it got to the point you could look at the presnap line up and know what they were going to do.  After the first series, he did a lot of nothing.
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2016, 09:08 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: They were also running with an overloaded line on that first series.  Much of the first half they had extra blockers.  So much so that it got to the point you could look at the presnap line up and know what they were going to do.  After the first series, he did a lot of nothing.

Whaaaat, you mean you don't think they're going to respect the threat of them running a prolific passing offense out of a 6 OL/1 inside TE/1 HB/1 WR/1 RB offense?   Ninja

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2016, 01:25 PM)jason Wrote: Yes.

Jeremy Hill will bust out this week.
Told you so...

Anymore questions?
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2016, 09:23 PM)jason Wrote: Told you so...

Anymore questions?

Yes, can he do this more than once per calendar year?
Reply/Quote