Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Wilcots, Holt and Martin all Team Sewell
(04-27-2021, 04:13 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: We would have a average OL if they get a G in round 2... on paper.

But paper doesn't play games. 

While I get that people are fascinated with Madden style games and want Chase cause... we scorez all da pointz...

I don't get the magical belief that the line is fixed with a flawed prospect starting at a new spot. Unless you take Davis, Trey Smith, Ben Cleveland or Green you are moving a center or tackle to guard.

But the real mystery to me remains, why anyone believes: 

Jonah will play 16 games... when he has played in only 10 in 2 years. 

XSF will play a full season, hasn't done it in 3 years.

Hopkins will be the same after his ACL. He might but.. a knee injury to a center? 

The odds of a Jordan sighting on the line next year are high if they wait till round 2 or 3 to address the line.

It remains simple. If the team believes the line is a real issue, they take Sewell. If they pass on Sewell they aren't concerned about the line and think 1 draft pick will be enough. Remember last season when they ignored it till late... well Tobin sees starters in round 3 so don't be surprised when round 3 hits and we finally go after a guy.

Murdock you're also talking about a team who didnt believe they had any issues on the OL going into last season. 

If I remember correctly, both Duke and Zac had the utmost confidence in Turner and the guys we had on the OL to protect Burrow and keep him standing all season long.  

Hmmm must not have had much confidence in them considering Turner was let go, Burrows recovering from a major injury and 1/2 the OL will be replaced.  
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2021, 04:48 PM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: I just don’t see the value in Sewell, when MANY others don’t even have him as the top Oline prospect. Many have him outside top 10 overall prospects. You can’t say the same thing for Chase. He is the first CONSENSUS # 1 WR in the draft since Calvin Johnson.

Many others? I've seen some reports sure but overwhelming what I see is people that know what it takes to compete at a high level in the NFL and have long NFL careers all saying he needs to be the pick.

If it was just Willie or Just Munoz or just Lapham, or just Housh or just McGee or just the list goes on and on, I'd be like okay, maybe there is concern, but all the former players who really cover this team agree on one guy. That speaks volume. 

Of course it doesn't matter, Tobin is a moron, he'll take Chase, cause that sells tickets and money is more important then wins to the Bengals. The pick at 5 will absolutely confirm that.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2021, 04:50 PM)TJ528 Wrote: Murdock you're also talking about a team who didnt believe they had any issues on the OL going into last season. 

If I remember correctly, both Duke and Zac had the utmost confidence in Turner and the guys we had on the OL to protect Burrow and keep him standing all season long.  

Hmmm must not have had much confidence in them considering Turner was let go, Burrows recovering from a major injury and 1/2 the OL will be replaced.  

I think in the eyes of Tobin, he got Pollock back and got Reiff, so the line is fine.

He'll go Chase, then BPA in 2 like an Edge or LB and then maybe round 3 picks up a Guard since he has starter grades on guys in round 3. 

Ticket sales will go up, cause "we haz da Chase" "We gettin the LSU back together"

And we can enjoy a top 10 pick in 2022 again. This is like an actual replay of the Andrew Luck shit show. I wonder if half their fan base was constantly screaming against picking the good OL players to get him another weapon as his career slowly withered away?

Reply/Quote
(04-27-2021, 04:58 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: I think in the eyes of Tobin, he got Pollock back and got Reiff, so the line is fine.

He'll go Chase, then BPA in 2 like an Edge or LB and then maybe round 3 picks up a Guard since he has starter grades on guys in round 3. 

Ticket sales will go up, cause "we haz da Chase" "We gettin the LSU back together"

And we can enjoy a top 10 pick in 2022 again. This is like an actual replay of the Andrew Luck shit show. I wonder if half their fan base was constantly screaming against picking the good OL players to get him another weapon as his career slowly withered away?

well one of 2 things will happen.  We pick Chase and we end up 9-8ish if everything plays out alright.  

We pick Chase and we're 5-11 because we had injuries on the OL and don't have the depth and experience needed for an AFC North team.  

Listen I understand Reiff is an upgrade, but to say that Jonah is going to be healthy all seasons is basically hopes and dreams because it hasnt happened in 2 seasons yet.  

You are definitely correct either way I think we're still drafting in the Top 10 again next year, and hopefully with Tobin's ass fired and Taylors Clown Show walked outta town. 
Reply/Quote
Of Chase and Sewell, Sewell is the prospect who has the MUCH higher chance of not panning out to be as good as what he is advertised to be. Chase is the smarter, and safer pick for this franchise. Burrow isnt going to be kept upright more by ONE offensive lineman. If the Bengals take OL in the second and third rounds, addressing both the G and T spots, then Burrow stands a better chance of staying upright. And with 3 stud WRs, teams cant double cover all 3. Burrow does what he does, and we have more success.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2021, 05:13 PM)Beaker Wrote: Of Chase and Sewell, Sewell is the prospect who has the MUCH higher chance of not panning out to be as good as what he is advertised to be. Chase is the smarter, and safer pick for this franchise. Burrow isnt going to be kept upright more by ONE offensive lineman. If the Bengals take OL in the second and third rounds, addressing both the G and T spots, then Burrow stands a better chance of staying upright. And with 3 stud WRs, teams cant double cover all 3. Burrow does what he does, and we have more success.

Well with this coaching staff anything is possible.  Just sayin!

Knowing the Bengal's luck, they'll draft Chase and he'll tear his hammy in training camp and miss all season, while Sewell goes onto an All Rookie type of season. 
Reply/Quote
The Biggest problem I have with alot of the guys that are saying Sewell is all they are saying is "The Bengals need offensive line. They need to protect Joe Burrow." and I agree they need offensive line.

...but if a team is picking top 5 or even top 10 it's not as easy as take need its take the best prospect available. Is Penei Sewell a better prospect than Ja'Marr Chase or Kyle Pitts? I have them ranked Pitts > Chase > Sewell on my board.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(04-27-2021, 05:42 PM)Synric Wrote: The Biggest problem I have with alot of the guys that are saying Sewell is all they are saying is "The Bengals need offensive line. They need to protect Joe Burrow." and I agree they need offensive line.

...but if a team is picking top 5 or even top 10 it's not as easy as take need its take the best prospect available. Is Penei Sewell a better prospect than Ja'Marr Chase or Kyle Pitts? I have them ranked Pitts > Chase > Sewell on my board.

I'd take Pitts, then Sewell the Chase personally.

I think there is WRs in round 2, 3 and 4 that are going to be extremely effective and surprise people at how good they are, possible even becoming the best WR in the class. 

Reply/Quote
It's still insane to me that this is happening. People can talk all they want about how the Bengals need someone to "take the top off the defense" (literally exactly what we said about Ross) but the reality is that we're picking Chase because he played with Burrow. Full stop. We're picking him because they're friends. If it were about talent, you'd have countless teams talking to ATL about #4 to get their hands on Chase. I have yet to hear of one. ATL has to put out noise about how they're looking to move Julio just to stir the pot, and even then- no interest. Ja'Marr Chase is so good that... nobody cares. Complete indifference. And the first pick that seems to be in play is at #6.

If anything, I expect us to get fooled by Atlanta's rumors and end up bidding against yourselves lol. I mean, it's not entirely out of the question that Mike might get tricked into trading up to #4 to make sure he gets his man lol. I don't wanna jinx it but that would be a new low. And we love new lows with this team, don't we?

Any other year, any other coach, any other QB, I'm confident this wouldn't be happening. Yet here we are. It perfectly encapsulates why we can't ever seem to turn the corner imo. We just get distracted too easily.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2021, 05:47 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: I'd take Pitts, then Sewell the Chase personally.

I think there is WRs in round 2, 3 and 4 that are going to be extremely effective and surprise people at how good they are, possible even becoming the best WR in the class. 

This has nothing to do with round 2 as their will be Offense Line and Wide Receivers in rounds 2 and 3. This is just straight prospect rankings. 

I have Ja'Marr Chase as a better overall prospect than Penei Sewell.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(04-27-2021, 05:13 PM)Beaker Wrote: Of Chase and Sewell, Sewell is the prospect who has the MUCH higher chance of not panning out to be as good as what he is advertised to be. Chase is the smarter, and safer pick for this franchise. Burrow isnt going to be kept upright more by ONE offensive lineman. If the Bengals take OL in the second and third rounds, addressing both the G and T spots, then Burrow stands a better chance of staying upright. And with 3 stud WRs, teams cant double cover all 3. Burrow does what he does, and we have more success.

You know, I don't even think teams double our receivers.  They're good, but not world beaters.

But yeah OL as priority is wisdom.
Reply/Quote
I can’t wait until Chase comes in here with a giant chip on his shoulder over all this nonsense. Someone should put together a set of clips with all these guys talking about how “stupid” it would be to take him.

Reply/Quote
(04-27-2021, 04:03 PM)CoachGeorge Wrote: I’m really sorry that the name Munoz came up in the discussion of Sewell.  Half of our fan base has completely lost their collective minds over this.  He is just a nice tackle prospect and the chance he is a hall of famer is not real good.  There are many opportunities to improve the line besides round 1 (or even the draft in general).

We lost 3 receivers from last years team and Chase is a guaranteed boundary receiver that round 2 just can’t guarantee.  Bateman and Marshall very well could be gone.

I agree can;t compare to Munoz, same token we have heard Chase name mentioned with Green and Jones.. can;t do that either and I totally disagree on pigeon hole idea of no Receivers left to go boundary and we saw some of that with Higgins plus today's NFL moves X/Y all over the place.. 
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2021, 06:07 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I agree can;t compare to Munoz, same token we have heard Chase name mentioned with Green and Jones.. can;t do that either and I totally disagree on pigeon hole idea of no Receivers left to go boundary and we saw some of that with Higgins plus today's NFL moves X/Y all over the place.. 

Sure we can. Those guys are not the best to ever play their position (not even close). Now if people were saying Chase is going to be the next Jerry Rice then that would be a stretch.

But it’s MUCH more likely that Chase will be a AJ or Julio level WR than it is Sewell will be the next Munoz.

Reply/Quote
(04-27-2021, 06:16 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Sure we can. Those guys are not the best to ever play their position (not even close). Now if people were saying Chase is going to be the next Jerry Rice then that would be a stretch.

But it’s MUCH more likely that Chase will be a AJ or Julio level WR than it is Sewell will be the next Munoz.

Gil Brandt said that Sewell is the closest things he's seen to Jonathan Ogden.  Anyone can throw a comp out there.

My best argument for Sewell is Baker Mayfield.  Great WR corps and terrible team.  Add in multiple high value picks and a first round tackle and all of a sudden there are wining games without OBJ.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2021, 06:03 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I can’t wait until Chase comes in here with a giant chip on his shoulder over all this nonsense. Someone should put together a set of clips with all these guys talking about how “stupid” it would be to take him.

It's not stupid to take Chase, just like it's not stupid to take Sewell or Pitts.

The bottom line is that you will have 2 elite prospects on the board at 5.  Take which ever one is rated higher.
Reply/Quote
Not starting Jordan again is a great start to having an improved offensive line.

I’m stoked for Thursday!
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2021, 04:48 PM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: I just don’t see the value in Sewell, when MANY others don’t even have him as the top Oline prospect. Many have him outside top 10 overall prospects. You can’t say the same thing for Chase. He is the first CONSENSUS # 1 WR in the draft since Calvin Johnson.

Who are these "many", because most sites, mocks, and airplay that I hear all have Sewell as the top OL prospect.  Just give a few names, that's all.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2021, 06:43 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Gil Brandt said that Sewell is the closest things he's seen to Jonathan Ogden.  Anyone can throw a comp out there.

My best argument for Sewell is Baker Mayfield.  Great WR corps and terrible team.  Add in multiple high value picks and a first round tackle and all of a sudden there are wining games without OBJ.

We also added a first round OT. He played with theirs at Alabama...

They added Conklin and Bill Callahan. We added Reiff and Pollack. The Browns aren’t the best example anyway though, imo. That two headed monster of a running game would make any QB’s life easier. Mixon is good, but he ain’t Nick Chubb. And Perine certainly isn’t Kareem Hunt.

Reply/Quote
(04-27-2021, 06:47 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: It's not stupid to take Chase, just like it's not stupid to take Sewell or Pitts.

The bottom line is that you will have 2 elite prospects on the board at 5.  Take which ever one is rated higher.

Agreed.

Reply/Quote