Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Wilcots, Holt and Martin all Team Sewell
(04-29-2021, 08:37 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Just for argument sake, let me put it this way...

If Sewell is 20% of a group that is responsible for keeping your QB clean, is he more important than a WR who can move the chains and score on any individual play? Is there simply, objectively, not a single Olineman in the 2nd and 3rd round that could keep your QB clean at a consistent rate?

If you think the elite lineman is going to have such a minimal impact, why even bother with taking the guy in the 2nd round?

That inferior guy is going to have even less impact on this abysmal line. May as well just take an edge rusher, LB or TE in round 2.

Heck, why did we spend on Reiff? He's just one of five.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2021, 09:06 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: But that's just not true.  Last year had how many tackles go in round 1?  6?

It's not a deeper class.

I've seen Peter King and a few others point out that - with the way the college game is going - elite WR prospects are becoming common.

Meanwhile, elite line prospects are getting more rare.

They pointed to recent drafts, including the current one, and also pointed to the recruiting classes in college, which are littered with 4 and 5 star receivers.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2021, 09:30 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: If you think the elite lineman is going to have such a minimal impact, why even bother with taking the guy in the 2nd round?

That inferior guy is going to have even less impact on this abysmal line. May as well just take an edge rusher, LB or TE in round 2.

Heck, why did we spend on Reiff? He's just one of five.

You're not answering what i asked.

I think what people keep forgetting...or maybe what they keep remembering...is that Hart and Jordan are not starters anymore. They were head and shoulders above anyone else in allowing sacks, hits and hurries. 

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2021, 09:05 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: An offensive lineman helps both the run and the pass.  A wide receiver only helps with the pass game.  Count me in as Team Sewell.

Except when your WRs are moving the chains consistently and beating you deep. Then the defense has to back out of the box, opening up the run. 

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2021, 10:30 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Except when your WRs are moving the chains consistently and beating you deep. Then the defense has to back out of the box, opening up the run. 

True, but it takes time to run those routes.  And right now I don't trust our interior line to get things done.  

That part has to get fixed.  I'm hoping it does.  IF it does, this team could be very dangerous.
Reply/Quote