Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Wilcots, Holt and Martin all Team Sewell
(04-28-2021, 11:36 AM)Hammerstripes Wrote: The thing that makes me lean towards Sewell is Pollack as the line coach.  If he's as good as he was previously and he's so well respected around the league, why wouldn't he get an All-Pro ceiling out of Sewell.

I'd like to see us stop throwing the ball 45-50 times a game.  That's directly on the o-line.

You are so right. 

besides Burrow, not much has been said about how we are wasting possibly the top running back in the league by failing to give him a line that can open holes against the Steelers, Ravens, Chief, etc. 

Not picking Sewell or the Northwestern kid ( or even the Virginia Teck OT who Prisco says is the best lineman) means Bengals management live in an alternative reality.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Chris Simms switches from Sewell to Chase:

"I have been on TV for the most part for the last month kinda been that guy like 'Penei Sewell, Penei Sewell. Draft the tackle. Let's protect Burrow. Open up holes for Joe Mixon and you play in the AFC North where we know there's lots of big bad dudes on the edges of defenses."

"But as I started to get closer and I had to do my mock draft and I started to figure out and play GM for both teams, I kinda flipped my thought a little bit and thought, 'If I'm the Bengals, I'm gonna go Ja'Marr Chase at No. 5.' You could go Penei Sewell and get a pretty good receiver at the top of the second if you wanted, right? Or you could go with Ja'Marr Chase—a superstar receiver, who to me is one of the safest picks in the whole draft and now get a pretty good offensive lineman in the top of the second."

"If you want to have an elite, explosive offense, you need one superstar at the wide receiver position. If you want to have an elite wide receiving core, I really believe you gotta have at least one superstar that does that. To be an elite offensive line, you don't have to have a superstar offensive lineman."
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2021, 11:33 AM)Bengalholic Wrote: Chris Simms switches from Sewell to Chase:

"I have been on TV for the most part for the last month kinda been that guy like 'Penei Sewell, Penei Sewell. Draft the tackle. Let's protect Burrow. Open up holes for Joe Mixon and you play in the AFC North where we know there's lots of big bad dudes on the edges of defenses."

"But as I started to get closer and I had to do my mock draft and I started to figure out and play GM for both teams, I kinda flipped my thought a little bit and thought, 'If I'm the Bengals, I'm gonna go Ja'Marr Chase at No. 5.' You could go Penei Sewell and get a pretty good receiver at the top of the second if you wanted, right? Or you could go with Ja'Marr Chase—a superstar receiver, who to me is one of the safest picks in the whole draft and now get a pretty good offensive lineman in the top of the second."

"If you want to have an elite, explosive offense, you need on superstar at the wide receiver position. If you want to have an elite wide receiving core, I really believe you gotta have at least one superstar that does that. To be an elite offensive line, you don't have to have a superstar offensive lineman."

Interesting take. I'll be happy with whoever we get. I still prefer Sewell and BPA in 2nd which I'd hope is a pass rusher or offensive lineman. I think improving these two areas will lead to more wins. But I'd be ecstatic to get Chase and a top Guard prospect. The only risk there is what if a lot of those good offensive lineman prospects go right before us in the 2nd and now BPA is a pass rusher. Well, I'd want to take the pass rusher, but that means you wait until the 3rd to grab offensive line help. 
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2021, 08:51 AM)TJ528 Wrote: Murdock, I can't blame you.  

I look at myself.  When I was a teenager, 20's, 30's, and even early 40's I would watch the Bengals game every week.  

No matter how much they pissed me off and I'd turn off the TV and say I'm not watching this crap again.  I did watch the next week because I was glutton for punishment.  

When the team was REALLY bad through my 20's i still supported them. 

However, I'm coming up on my 50th birthday.  We're coming out of a global pandemic and earlier this year I was considering buying tickets.  This would be the first time in my life I'd ever buy tickets.  Then I remember what I told myself years ago, until this franchise shows its a professional organization I won't support it by purchasing anything Bengal related or buy a ticket.  

I haven't been to Paul Brown stadium since 2002, by choice.  

I'll still root for my team because they've been my team since 1982, but I'm with you I'll probably be tuning into some Jacksonville Jags games this year because I think Urban Meyer will have the biggest turn around in the NFL this year.   He's twice the coach that Taylor is because he's a proven leader.  He's a proven CEO of a football team.  He knows the pieces and parts he needs.  

Anyway, I'll be watching this team this year but not from the stands, and probably not for my couch but i'll check the score on my ESPN app to follow along.  Kind of how I do with the Reds now days. 

I just hope ol Urb doesn't get those pesky headaches again if things go south in Jax. Ninja

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(04-29-2021, 11:45 AM)Bengalstripes9 Wrote: Interesting take. I'll be happy with whoever we get. I still prefer Sewell and BPA in 2nd which I'd hope is a pass rusher or offensive lineman. I think improving these two areas will lead to more wins. But I'd be ecstatic to get Chase and a top Guard prospect. The only risk there is what if a lot of those good offensive lineman prospects go right before us in the 2nd and now BPA is a pass rusher. Well, I'd want to take the pass rusher, but that means you wait until the 3rd to grab offensive line help. 

The problem is that he just assumes you can get an offensive linemen in round 2.  I don't ever believe in drafting that way.  How in the world do you know who is going to come off the board?

We could very easily see all these round 2 guys start to come off in late round 1 and continue through pick 35.  There's no guarantee.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2021, 04:16 PM)Wyche Wrote: I just hope ol Urb doesn't get those pesky headaches again if things go south in Jax. Ninja

Nah he'll do that once he wins them a Super Bowl then 2 years later is 4-13 :) 
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2021, 04:35 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: The problem is that he just assumes you can get an offensive linemen in round 2.  I don't ever believe in drafting that way.  How in the world do you know who is going to come off the board?

We could very easily see all these round 2 guys start to come off in late round 1 and continue through pick 35.  There's no guarantee.

There are too many good prospects for them all to go before pick #38.

Since it's getting this close...i'm kind of leaning Chase then Oline in 2 and 3 but i know the Bengals won't do that. I could see Chase, Oline and then defense. My feeling won't be hurt though if they take Sewell and WR in 2. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2021, 05:28 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: There are too many good prospects for them all to go before pick #38.

Since it's getting this close...i'm kind of leaning Chase then Oline in 2 and 3 but i know the Bengals won't do that. I could see Chase, Oline and then defense. My feeling won't be hurt though if they take Sewell and WR in 2. 

If they are truly good prospects, they won't be there at 38.  There are several teams that need line help in the 20s and the start of the 2nd round.

Jets, Steelers, Ravens, Saints, Falcons, Dolphins and Eagles all could use an OT.

I'm sorry, but getting OT7 in this draft isn't ideal by any stretch.  Imagine drafting the single most important guy in the sports world, then let him get hit at a record pace and follow that up by ignoring the top O-line prospect in the draft.  It's far from ideal and goes against every sound team building concept around,
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2021, 05:47 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: If they are truly good prospects, they won't be there at 38.  There are several teams that need line help in the 20s and the start of the 2nd round.

Jets, Steelers, Ravens, Saints, Falcons, Dolphins and Eagles all could use an OT.

I'm sorry, but getting OT7 in this draft isn't ideal by any stretch.  Imagine drafting the single most important guy in the sports world, then let him get hit at a record pace and follow that up by ignoring the top O-line prospect in the draft.  It's far from ideal and goes against every sound team building concept around,

It has honestly blown my mind that people have talked themselves into being okay with this.

I get that Chase is a really nice looking prospect...but so is Sewell...and we all saw what happened to our guy last year.

All that said, I'm not going to let drafting Chase ruin my night. He's a fantastic player, and hopefully we just "get lucky" with the scraps we pick through in round 2.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2021, 06:14 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: It has honestly blown my mind that people have talked themselves into being okay with this.

I get that Chase is a really nice looking prospect...but so is Sewell...and we all saw what happened to our guy last year.

All that said, I'm not going to let drafting Chase ruin my night. He's a fantastic player, and hopefully we just "get lucky" with the scraps we pick through in round 2.

You know last year everyone was dead set on Joe Burrow then an Offensive Lineman at #33. This year the Offensive Linemen in a deeper class aren't good enough...
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(04-29-2021, 06:14 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: It has honestly blown my mind that people have talked themselves into being okay with this.

And you would have thought it would be soldified after KC looked like an average offense after losing some of their linemen in the playoffs.  Mahomes and his weapons did nothing.  So, what did they do?  Traded their first rounder for a tackle and signed the top FA lineman.

I wouldn't be so strong on Sewell if we hadn't taken the dime store approach to the line in FA, but we did. 
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2021, 06:28 PM)Synric Wrote: You know last year everyone was dead set on Joe Burrow then an Offensive Lineman at #33. This year the Offensive Linemen in a deeper class aren't good enough...

QB is the only position you should prioritize over line, if your line is terrible.

We aren't talking about a generational QB. We're talking about a WR.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2021, 06:49 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: QB is the only position you should prioritize over line, if your line is terrible.

We aren't talking about a generational QB. We're talking about a WR.

Edge Corner Wide Receiver and Offensive line not in that order but are all equal because they effect quarterback play. 

Also I was saying you were on the second round Offensive line are scraps but last year everyone was on the second round offensive line train. What is different this year that second round offensive line arent good enough compared to last year?
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(04-29-2021, 07:12 PM)Synric Wrote: Edge Corner Wide Receiver and Offensive line not in that order but are all equal because they effect quarterback play. 

Also I was saying you were on the second round Offensive line are scraps but last year everyone was on the second round offensive line train. What is different this year that second round offensive line arent good enough compared to last year?

We just have different priorities and see things differently. An elite line has far greater impact on everything than an elite WR group.

We had elite WR's in the 90's and didn't win squat. We had great WRs and solid QB in 2010 and lost 10 games in a row. Couldn't run to save our lives.

When have we ever had a good QB, a great o-line and were terrible?
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2021, 05:47 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: If they are truly good prospects, they won't be there at 38.  There are several teams that need line help in the 20s and the start of the 2nd round.

It's not that black and white. In most years, sure. This year, the talent pool is deeper, so a guy at a number could easily have more talent than a guy who would normally be at that number any other year. 

I don't believe anyone thinks getting OT7 in the 2nd is "ideal". But it should be better than getting OT7 any other year. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote

Just for argument sake, let me put it this way...

If Sewell is 20% of a group that is responsible for keeping your QB clean, is he more important than a WR who can move the chains and score on any individual play? Is there simply, objectively, not a single Olineman in the 2nd and 3rd round that could keep your QB clean at a consistent rate?

Reply/Quote

Absolutely  Who Dey
Reply/Quote
An offensive lineman helps both the run and the pass. A wide receiver only helps with the pass game. Count me in as Team Sewell.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2021, 08:33 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: It's not that black and white. In most years, sure. This year, the talent pool is deeper, so a guy at a number could easily have more talent than a guy who would normally be at that number any other year. 

I don't believe anyone thinks getting OT7 in the 2nd is "ideal". But it should be better than getting OT7 any other year. 

But that's just not true.  Last year had how many tackles go in round 1?  6?

It's not a deeper class.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2021, 06:30 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: And you would have thought it would be soldified after KC looked like an average offense after losing some of their linemen in the playoffs.  Mahomes and his weapons did nothing.  So, what did they do?  Traded their first rounder for a tackle and signed the top FA lineman.

I wouldn't be so strong on Sewell if we hadn't taken the dime store approach to the line in FA, but we did. 

Logic. I like it!
Reply/Quote