Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wilcox not tendered
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
and the roster retooling continues.

I soooo need next week to find out if Hurst remains with the squad or not. FA is going to impact draft day.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Sounds like it’s Sample and Hurst
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
This move right here tells you what direction
The front office is going in regarding the draft
Reply/Quote
I’m at the end of my tether. This cannot happen.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
I like Wilcox but TE position certainly needs to be upgraded after Hurst.

This may mean they think they can re-sign Hurst as well, have FA in mind, or both.

Yet would love the Georgia kid in draft if they can add a FA OT as well. Dude can block better than half the O-linemen in the draft and can catch too. Think the ND TE is a better receiver and route runner but think the Georgia guy is exactly the type player this team needs.

Plus think even if the ND player falls towards our pick someone will trade up in front of us to acquire him.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
I think it could mean several things. One it could mean as others have mentioned their draft direction. It could mean Sample is a part of the equation. Is 5 months enough to evaluate his recovery? Could be going with Hurst and a rookie. Could be going with Hurst and Sample. Or could be going with Sample ( experience) and a rookie. The last helps the cap the most. I’d say now the latter as they are going to create cap space everywhere they can.

Reply/Quote
(03-10-2023, 02:09 PM)Go Cards Wrote: I like the Wilcox but TE position certainly needs to be upgraded after Hurst.

This may mean they think they can re-sign Hurst as well, have FA in mind, or both.

Yet would love the Georgia kid in draft if they can add a FA OT as well. Dude can block better than half the O-linemen in the draft and can catch  too.  Think the ND TE is a better receiver and route runner but think the Georgia guy is exactly the type player this team needs.

Plus think even if the ND player falls towards our pick someone will trade up in front of us to acquire him.

If the Bengals draft a 12 personnel blocking TE at #28 I expect to see them go back to the wide zone run offense for a 5th year in a row.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(03-10-2023, 02:09 PM)Go Cards Wrote: I like the Wilcox but TE position certainly needs to be upgraded after Hurst.

Yet would love the Georgia kid in draft if they can add a FA OT as well. Dude can block better than half the O-linemen in the draft and can catch  too.  Think the ND TE is a better receiver and route runner but think the Georgia guy is exactly the type player this team needs.

I'm all for more oline help as well. That said, I'm starting to lean towards the big Georgia TE just because of his sheer size and blocking ability. Washington and a competent RT in the first two rounds would be alright with me. 
Reply/Quote
I didn't think he'd be that expensive. They can still release someone they extended a tender to. Not sure why they wouldn't just keep him on the 90 man roster. He showed something last season (who missed Sample?).

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2023, 01:55 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Sounds like it’s Sample and Hurst

I can't really imagine Drew Sample is their plan A. I'm not a member of the "I hate Drew Sample club" he can't help he was overdrafted. But three things:

1. In four seasons only has 58 receptions and 1 TD. 

2. He's had injury issues

#. I'm also not onboard the he's this world class blocker train either. He's good just not great. So I'm hoping Hurst, free agent and draft.
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2023, 02:36 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I can't really imagine Drew Sample is their plan A. I'm not a member of the "I hate Drew Sample club" he can't help he was overdrafted. But three things:

#. I'm also not onboard the he's this world class blocker train either. He's good just not great. So I'm hoping Hurst, free agent and draft.

me too, Sample has to go he just isnt a great option at TE. 
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2023, 02:22 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: I think it could mean several things. One it could mean as others have mentioned their draft direction. It could mean Sample is a part of the equation. Is 5 months enough to evaluate his recovery? Could be going with Hurst and a rookie. Could be going with Hurst and Sample. Or could be going with Sample ( experience) and a rookie. The last helps the cap the most. I’d say now the latter as they are going to create cap space everywhere they can.

I know we differ on this opinion and you've guaranteed many times it won't happen. Yet still suspect Mixon and Bates will supply the cap space which is logical imo. Even without factoring in the ongoing incident at Mixon's house. 

But am more than fine with drafting a TE in this draft. 

In fact I want the Georgia kid, but prefer it to be him and Hurst and Sample be the third wheel. Yet get that another team may ante up big for Hurst and that may not happen. 

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2023, 02:29 PM)Synric Wrote: If the Bengals draft a 12 personnel blocking TE at #28 I expect to see them go back to the wide zone run offense for a 5th year in a row.

He is not Sample and can catch and break tackles as well. Plus a better blocker than Sample. Don't think he forces any changes in what the Bengals offense is doing. 

Not to mention at 6'7" and 270 pounds he will punish DB's trying to tackle him. 

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2023, 01:55 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Sounds like it’s Sample and Hurst

Hmm to me it sounds like we’re double dipping in the draft. There is no reason to pay Hirst and Sample when you could very well find both those prototypes in the draft

Locked on Bengals has been doing an amazing job covering TE prospects and this year TE is DEEP.
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2023, 02:36 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I can't really imagine Drew Sample is their plan A. I'm not a member of the "I hate Drew Sample club" he can't help he was overdrafted. But three things:

I'm with you on Hurst/FA/draft.

In my fantasy-GM land I'm also good with a round of 1 Mayer or Washington and then a later pick of Laporta or Kraft.
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2023, 01:36 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote:

Interesting, looks like we are going to add at least 1 TE in the Draft the way everything is going. Giving Wilcox a shot somewhere 
else could be a classy move and makes room. Would of rather kept Wilcox over Sample but hey, need to make room anyways.

Wouldn't throw out us double dipping now. I want a RT like Darnell Wright, Anton Harrison, DaWand Jones or Matthew Bergeron
with our first pick though.
Reply/Quote
1. They resign Hurst only at their price.
2. If they can't resign Hurst, they'll pick up a veteran for depth at THEIR price.
3. Sample stays on the cheap.
4. Draft a TE in the 2nd round or lower.(Laporta in 2nd or Schoonmaker in 4th or 5th.
Reply/Quote

I could be dead wrong. Sample is absolutely not plan A. But they like him immensely as plan B and as a blocker. The question is whether they plan to pair his experience with a rookie or Hurst. I definitely rule out ‘23’s roster with a TE w/o experience in our system

Reply/Quote
(03-10-2023, 02:35 PM)jj22 Wrote: I didn't think he'd be that expensive. They can still release someone they extended a tender to. Not sure why they wouldn't just keep him on the 90 man roster. He showed something last season (who missed Sample?).

I agree! The kid has good hands and was just starting to tap his potential as a pro TE, imho. He'll end up somewhere as an inline TE and probably have decent numbers. My thinking was to sign him on the cheap for insurance and trade or release him if someone on the roster rises above him.  
Reply/Quote