Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wilder Jr signs with the Bills
Liked the kid a lot. One of those ones where you wish the team could be that bit bigger.

http://www.cincyjungle.com/2016/1/20/10799788/james-wilder-jr-signs-future-contract-with-buffalo-bills

Reply/Quote
If the team could have a larger roster, I don't think that PS quality RB is the selection that I would add to the official roster.. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2016, 09:43 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: If the team could have a larger roster, I don't think that PS quality RB is the selection that I would add to the official roster.. 

Maybe this PS quality RB can run out of shotgun effectively and hold on to the ball. We will never know. 

Reply/Quote
(01-20-2016, 09:53 PM)BritishBengal Wrote: Maybe this PS quality RB can run out of shotgun effectively and hold on to the ball. We will never know. 

We already have RBs who can do that.  So we don't need more.

Wilder always "looked" better than he "played".  He had like 3 good games in his entire college career and got a lot of hype because of his dad.
Reply/Quote
Plus he had that nonsense on social media about toys r us.

Not good enough to bring around drama.
Reply/Quote
If what i saw on the news was true, then the nonsense was not of his doing. The store manager came off as a complete ass hat. But we don't need him. More important roles to fill.
Reply/Quote
I don't know enough about Wilder Jr. to describe him as a player, but an interesting tidbit...

He is the slowest HB in Madden 16. He has a speed rating of 76 and his acceleration is at 82.

His only positive attributes are his trucking skills and his carrying, which means he doesn't fumble often.

Is any of this accurate? Is he really that slow?
Reply/Quote
I think I liked the idea of Wilder. Big kid, Florida State, good highlight reel, lots of touchdowns, limited mileage on his body... In the end, I thought Terrell Watson was the better runner.
Reply/Quote
I wish him the best, but in terms of the depth chart, not a big loss, and replaceable.
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2016, 10:01 PM)fredtoast Wrote: We already have RBs who can do that.  So we don't need more.

Wilder always "looked" better than he "played".  He had like 3 good games in his entire college career and got a lot of hype because of his dad.

Meh, as a big FSU fan that rarely misses games, he played pretty well.  You're overlooking who he shared the backfield with at FSU. Lonnie Pryor was the established guy when he came in, along with Chris Thompson, and Karlos Williams and Devonta Freeman were in his own class.  Mario Pender came in the next year, the RB position was absolutely STACKED in Tallahassee from 2011 through 2013. When given opportunities, he delivered, he just wasn't as flashy as his backfield mates.  I'm fine with moving on, but I wonder if he wouldn't be an upgrade over the aging Peerman.

Quote:In 2012, Wilder had a breakout season, running for 635 rushing yards (5.8 yards per carry) and 13 touchdowns. Wilder won Offensive MVP for the 2012 ACC Championship Game.

In 2013, Wilder averaged 7 yards per carry. Wilder was named All-ACC Honorable Mention.

.....it was more than 3 games.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(01-21-2016, 12:16 PM)Wyche Wrote: .....it was more than 3 games.

In three season he had a total of 4 games where he carried the ball more than 10 times.  He had only 1 game where he gained more than 100 yards and only 3 where he gained more than 80.
Reply/Quote
It's ok, it happens when you have a decent team.
I liked him, but not enough to promote him over Peerman at this point. Peerman is just too good on ST's to replace just yet.
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2016, 12:26 PM)fredtoast Wrote: In three season he had a total of 4 games where he carried the ball more than 10 times.  He had only 1 game where he gained more than 100 yards and only 3 where he gained more than 80.

There's more to the game than stats though freddy.....how many FSU games do you watch?  He was a pretty good player behind some really good players.  It is what it is.  Look at the yards in those limited carries and averages. He didn't play much in '11, if at all.....going off memory, if he played that season, it was very limited. You don't get all conference honorable mention off of "three good games".

(01-21-2016, 12:27 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: It's ok, it happens when you have a decent team.
I liked him, but not enough to promote him over Peerman at this point. Peerman is just too good on ST's to replace just yet.

That's a good point, Peerman had a great year on teams this year.  I wish him luck.

Reply/Quote
(01-21-2016, 12:32 PM)Wyche Wrote: There's more to the game than stats though freddy.....how many FSU games do you watch?  He was a pretty good player behind some really good players.  It is what it is.  Look at the yards in those limited carries and averages.  He didn't play much in '11, if at all.....going off memory, if he played that season, it was very limited.  You don't get all conference honorable mention off of "three good games".

That's a good point, Peerman had a great year on teams this year.  I wish him luck.

I have to agree with Fred. To me he looks like a linebacker playing running back. He's slow to the hole but hard to bring down and doesn't have the speed to threaten to the outside. Watson on the other hand looked to have a nice burst and a jump cut to go with it.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(01-21-2016, 12:41 PM)Synric Wrote: I have to agree with Fred. To me he looks like a linebacker playing running back. He's slow to the hole but hard to bring down and doesn't have the speed to threaten to the outside. Watson on the other hand looked to have a nice burst and a jump cut to go with it.

Watson may be the better guy, time will tell, but Wilder isn't quite the turd fred paints him to be. Smirk  He's not an outside threat, that I'll agree on, but it seems Hill isn't a threat anywhere on the field these days.....except to turn the ball over. Seriously, I hardly miss a game......I mean, I have been wearing a Chief Osceola pendant around my neck for 28 years. Wink I'm a bigger Noles fan than a Bengals fan. As I said, he was a pretty good player behind some really good ones.....and maybe a great one in Freeman.

All that said, there just wasn't room on this roster for the guy. If Peerman hadn't had such a good year on teams.....maybe, but with the way he played there, it just didn't leave a spot.

Reply/Quote
(01-21-2016, 12:48 PM)Wyche Wrote: Watson may be the better guy, time will tell

BTW Watson is now a Cleveland Brown...
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(01-21-2016, 12:56 PM)Synric Wrote: BTW Watson is now a Cleveland Brown...

I guess that time will tell us in Cleveland!   LMAO

I was unaware....thanks for the update. ThumbsUp

Reply/Quote
He had all season to prove himself playing on the scout team. He obviously didn't impress the coaches enough. Whether it was his play, his attitude, or some other reason we will likely never know. I hope it works out for him in Buffalo.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(01-21-2016, 12:27 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: It's ok, it happens when you have a decent team.

Last year I said I liked Peerman, but was willing to replace him with a guy with better RB skills.  But it seemed like Peerman made more big tackles on ST than I have ever seen before.  I don't know the numbers, and it may be that he just made more tackles in crucial situatrions, but he honestly had one of the best seasons I have seen from a coverage guy.  In that first Steelers game it seemed like he was getting to Dri Archer almost as quickly as the ball.
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2016, 01:02 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Last year I said I liked Peerman, but was willing to replace him with a guy with better RB skills.  But it seemed like Peerman made more big tackles on ST than I have evr seen before.  I don't know the numbers, and it may be that he just maxe more tackles in crucial situatrions, but he honestly had one of the best seasons I have seen from a coverage guy.  In that first Steelers game it seemed like he was getting to dri Archer almost as quickly as the ball.

He had a helluva year from what I saw.  Good enough to make the young guys discussed in this thread expendable.

Reply/Quote