Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Will Bengals Bite?
With Tannehill going down (possibly, but reports are there is concern there). Will Bengals jump on opportunity to trade McCarron, or will they price themselves out like they did when Bridgewater went down.

Word was they turned down a 1st from Minnesota because there was no backup plan to losing McCarron. That's why we mysteriously picked up a Driskel and kept him on the roster all year to make sure this didn't happen again if the opportunity presented itself (they never carried a 3rd qb under Dalton).

Worth keeping an eye on the next couple days.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
I doubt they go into the season with Driskel as the backup QB. I doubt they bite.
Reply/Quote
If Miami offers a first round pick, they gotta take it.
Reply/Quote
It's probably now (or do to starting qb injury), or never (probably won't happen in offseason this far removed from 2015 season). I just don't see them getting a high draft choice from a team unless that team is desperate.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
We will have to see what the Tannehill situation ends up being. Supposedly it was the knee he had surgery on last year, so who knows how serious it is. One thing to remember is Adam Gase has a history with Cutler and that will probably be the first call they make. The issue with McCaron is they'd be trading for a rental since Tannehill got a new contract not long ago, so it's kind of a different situation from the Bridgewater situation last year. With Bridgewater there was actually a worry it could be career ending at the time.
Reply/Quote
I, myself, think a first round pick offer, would be worth it. Get Driskell tons of preseason snaps, let the rookies get a year under their belt and shoot for next year.

However, the reality is, what will MB do?
Reply/Quote
Matt Moore is probably better than AJM.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
I doubt that the Dolphins "bite"

If they go anywhere, I could see them bringing in Cutler since he knows the system.
Reply/Quote
(08-03-2017, 02:09 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Matt Moore is probably better than AJM.

Possibly in the short run. If it is serious to the same knee Tannehill injured last year the team has to start asking questions about long term durability, so maybe AJM makes sense. I think it's unlikely, but not a complete off the wall idea.
Reply/Quote
Might as well take the pick. They won't win without Dalton anyway
Reply/Quote
(08-03-2017, 01:48 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: If Miami offers a first round pick, they gotta take it.

Agreed, but I don't know if they'll need to do it. Matt Moore is easily one of the best backup QBs in the league.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(08-03-2017, 03:32 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Agreed, but I don't know if they'll need to do it. Matt Moore is easily one of the best backup QBs in the league.

I agree....they'd have to take it, but it won't come to that. 
Reply/Quote
Tannehill's signed for another four years isn't he?

Even if he's out for the season, Miami isn't going to give up a first-round pick for a one-year rental. This trade only makes sense if it was a career-ender.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(08-03-2017, 03:59 PM)Big Boss Wrote: Tannehill's signed for another four years isn't he?

Even if he's out for the season, Miami isn't going to give up a first-round pick for a one-year rental.  This trade only makes sense if it was a career-ender.

True, but as I point out earlier if eh re tore the ACL he tore last eyar you have to start wondering about long term viability. He has an Andy Dalton type deal that was front loaded with a lot of back end non guaranteed money. After this year (which if he is hurt you can't cut him anyways) to cut him it is only a 4.6 million dollar cap hit, but a 15 Million savings. If you thought AJ was the future and Tannehill wasn't, you could throw that 15 Millions savings at AJ in an extension then increase the money as it goes without seeing much of a difference in the cap outside of the dead money.
Reply/Quote
I wouldn't do it now. We are in great shape at QB. I think we have the team that can go all the way even if Dalton (knock on wood) goes down. I wanted to trade him leading up to the draft, but not now. Too valuable right now with a questionable line.
Reply/Quote
I would take a couple 2s even and kapearnick. Miami might go that route too with kap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
I doubt it, Mike's not that big on trading. I'm not sure I'd want to rely on Driskel as my backup with this O-line anyways.
Reply/Quote
(08-03-2017, 04:34 PM)TKUHL Wrote: I wouldn't do it now. We are in great shape at QB. I think we have the team that can go all the way even if Dalton (knock on wood) goes down. I wanted to trade him leading up to the draft, but not now. Too valuable right now with a questionable line.

It depends on compensation for me. AJ's accrued years case is in arbitration right now. Knowing the Bengals luck, his rookie year will count and he'll leave in free agency and we'll get a 4th round comp pick.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(08-03-2017, 01:43 PM)jj22 Wrote: With Tannehill going down (possibly, but reports are there is concern there). Will Bengals jump on opportunity to trade McCarron, or will they price themselves out like they did when Bridgewater went down.

Word was they turned down a 1st from Minnesota because there was no backup plan to losing McCarron. That's why we mysteriously picked up a Driskel and kept him on the roster all year to make sure this didn't happen again if the opportunity presented itself (they never carried a 3rd qb under Dalton).

Worth keeping an eye on the next couple days.

Teams have back-ups that have actually won NFL games. That have actually been starting NFL QB's.  There are Top Picks and Pro Bowlers looking for a chance to lead a team again.   There are many, many back-up QB's.   Even if by some remote chance a team might consider McCarron, certainly he is not worth a #1 draft pick.   Yes, if anybody offers Bengals a # 1 draft pick for McCarron,  or Peerman,  or one of our 3 field goal kickers in camp,  yes, you take the # 1 Draft Pick. .........but if a team has to replace a starting QB, I do not see the owner or coach even considering McCarron ........What McCarron did replacing Dalton was not impressive.  Many other back-ups have a better resume of leading NFL teams to victory. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(08-03-2017, 04:58 PM)kevin Wrote: Teams have back-ups that have actually won NFL games. That have actually been starting NFL QB's.  There are Top Picks and Pro Bowlers looking for a chance to lead a team again.   There are many, many back-up QB's.   Even if by some remote chance a team might consider McCarron, certainly he is not worth a #1 draft pick.   Yes, if anybody offers Bengals a # 1 draft pick for McCarron,  or Peerman,  or one of our 3 field goal kickers in camp,  yes, you take the # 1 Draft Pick. .........but if a team has to replace a starting QB, I do not see the owner or coach even considering McCarron ........What McCarron did replacing Dalton was not impressive.  Many other back-ups have a better resume of leading NFL teams to victory. 

This was a ranking of back up QB's from SI back in May. Your over selling the list of guys better even if you don't agree with this list point by point. What McCaron offers is a possible long term solution if the thought is Tannehill's injury woes for that knee could be an on going issue.

1. Jimmy Garoppolo, Patriots

2. Matt Moore, Dolphins
3. Trevor Siemian/Paxton Lynch, Broncos
4. Colt McCoy, Redskins
5. Deshaun Watson, Texans
6. AJ McCarron, Bengals
7. T.J. Yates/Cardale Jones/Nathan Peterman, Bills
8. Mitchell Trubisky/Mike Glennon, Bears
9. Chad Henne, Jaguars
10. Geno Smith, Giants
11. Drew Stanton, Cardinals
12. Kevin Hogan/Brock Osweiler/DeShone Kizer, Browns