Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Will Bengals Bite?
(08-04-2017, 11:04 AM)CageTheBengal Wrote: Trade McCarron sign Kaep.

I'd prefer McCarron but he's a backup and that's all he will ever be for us. Kaep is a good backup.

So either way we have a quality backup the difference is one scenario you have an extra high pick and one you don't.

Problem with Kap is he's terrible with the mental aspects of the game and wouldn't have the benefit of OTA's and most of TC to learn the offense.  The other issue is can the team really take another PR hitm
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Kind of seems like we have to win THIS year or Marvin is going to be out of a job. I doubt they trade him.
Reply/Quote
Yeah...even if they were offered a 2nd Round pick I doubt they trade him. Driskel just isn't a viable backup option.

Is a 2nd Round pick really worth the season being over if Andy is hurt?
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2017, 12:48 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yeah...even if they were offered a 2nd Round pick I doubt they trade him. Driskel just isn't a viable backup option.

Is a 2nd Round pick really worth the season being over if Andy is hurt?

It is over if Andy goes down. If it's not then it means the defense is so good it doesn't matter if it is Dalton, AJM, or Driskell, similar to the Broncos.
Reply/Quote
Some on the board thing McCarron is just as good as Dalton. Some imply it...if teams would be willing to trade a 1st Round pick for him.

The dropoff from Dalton to McCarron isn't that steep. The dropoff from Dalton to Driskel is HUGE.

Driskell to me isn't a guy that should even be in the NFL.
Reply/Quote
Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
We can discuss such things, but I fully expect McCarron to be here until he leaves as a FA and we get a 4th round comp pick that might show some promise by the time Dalton is getting mail from AARP. Moore will start in Miami because Kaepernick managed to anger Cubans and Americans and blah blah blah and Cutler is Cutler PLUS he's retired and out of shape (even more than before) and has another job.

I don't think anything exciting is going to happen, unless you consider the 4th round IR-ed defensive player we are going to get in 2019 or so for McCarron tantalizing.
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2017, 01:35 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?  Hell no

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shocked
Reply/Quote
Say trade McCarron and do not sign Kaep.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2017, 07:50 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: Shocked

Come on man...

Animal House

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Personally, I'd like to see Macaroni get a starting job in the NFL. I hope he is traded to Miami or another team to get that opportunity. Icing on the cake would be getting a first rounder for him. Heck, I wouldn't mind Romo, Cutler, or Kaepernick on our bench as a backup to Andy. The Bengals could easily develop another backup QB. Lets see what happens.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2017, 10:29 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Now report that Tannehill could need season-ending surgery though.
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/20241193/ryan-tannehill-miami-dolphins-now-feared-need-surgery-knee

If that happens, it can mean the Dolphins are scrambling to get a starting-caliber QB. However, I think that that QB might be Cutler over McCarron, and here's why.
The Dolphins are paying Tannehill to be their franchise QB for the future, so anyone they bring in will be for a short-term rental.
Cutler already knows Gase's offense and is older, so there should be no expectation of Cutler sticking around beyond this year.
Cutler is also a FA, so no reason to trade away draft picks.
McCarron, while cheap, should be acquired by a team who foresees him being their QB of the future. Because of this, I think Cutler is more of a logical choice than McCarron.

All excellent points, but here is another angle:  If they give up a first rounder for McCarron, they would pay next to nothing extra for him this season as he is still under his rookie 5th rounder contract.  Should McCarron succeed, he would likely sign elsewhere for a pretty signficant value and possibly become a 3rd round compensatory pick the following season.  

Cutler has stated that he wants good, starting QB money if he is going to come out of retirement.  I can't imagine the Dolphins have an additional $15 million under the cap for this year.  I don't know, maybe they do...but I doubt it.

In the end, it is still trading a first rounder (likely one toward the bottom third of the round) for what would amount to a future third rounder, but if they don't have the money for a Cutler, what else can they do?  There simply aren't a lot of viable starting QBs out there on minimal deals.  
Reply/Quote
(08-03-2017, 01:48 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: If Miami offers a first round pick, they gotta take it.

Most definately.
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2017, 09:17 PM)guyofthetiger Wrote: Personally, I'd like to see ******Macaroni*******get a starting job in the NFL. I hope he is traded to Miami or another team to get that opportunity. Icing on the cake would be getting a first rounder for him. Heck, I wouldn't mind Romo, Cutler, or Kaepernick on our bench as a backup to Andy. The Bengals could easily develop another backup QB. Lets see what happens.

Macaroni!!

Reply/Quote
(08-04-2017, 07:50 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: Shocked

(08-04-2017, 09:04 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Come on man...

Animal House

Hell No!!!!!!!!!!

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
And in response to the thread, I really can't picture anyone trading for McCarron. Not because he doesn't have value, but more along the lines of the Bengals place more value on him then other teams in the league do. Might get offered a 3rd for him, but really can't see anyone offering a 1st. He doesn't have enough film to show that he is worth a 1st rounder.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(08-04-2017, 09:04 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Come on man...

Animal House

(08-05-2017, 04:51 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote:

Hell No!!!!!!!!!!

F ME!!!!

How in the hell did I not catch that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply/Quote
Kevin, tell me what backups have better resumes coming off the bench to get their first NFL action.  AJ McCarron had Denver on the ropes AT DENVER, only to end up losing in OT thanks to a shoddy kicking game.  Denver did win the Super Bowl that year...

Sure, Brady did it, but who else has accomplished that feat?  

I guess Kurt Warner did, too...
Reply/Quote