Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Will Burrow have Carson Syndrome?
Carson's first year back and Kimo rolled over his knee, he was nervous in the pocket and never followed through if there was anyone even remotely close to his knee. He still put up a solid year, but it could have been so much better and we could have made the playoffs. By '07, he was back to normal and didn't have the fear anymore (or didn't show it in his throws).

Will Burrow have Carson Syndrome? He wasn't rolled over from behind, but Carson's fear just seemed to be a fear of anyone being near his knee.

With so many questions on our offensive line, will that play into it and make him have a bigger fear?
Reply/Quote
Nope, the one thing I always said about Burrow before we even drafted him was he was much more strong mentally
than Palmer ever was.
Reply/Quote
I think it's only natural. I wouldn't expect Burrow of old (if all goes well) until 2022.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
No not yet but another year behind a horrible line and I think it could happen.
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2021, 04:12 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Nope, the one thing I always said about Burrow before we even drafted him was he was much more strong mentally
than Palmer ever was.
100% true.  

Carson always seemed like the California Hollywood type that never had to face adversity.  He also seemed like the type that never commanded much respect in the locker room and wasn't much of a leader.  That was especially bad when you consider we had guys like Henry (RIP), Odell, and Chad, and it wouldn't have been as bad if we had a head coach that was a leader, but we all know Marvin was far from a leader.

Like I always say, I love him for his time here and glad he finally stepped up to Mike Brown, but we need more of a leader.
(05-13-2021, 04:27 PM)jj22 Wrote: I think it's only natural. I wouldn't expect Burrow of old (if all goes well) until 2022.

Like Nate said, I think Burrow is mentally strong enough to come back strong this season, but I just don't know if the line will allow him to play to his full potential.

(05-13-2021, 04:36 PM)AtomicBlaze Wrote: No not yet but another year behind a horrible line and I think it could happen.

I'm hoping that we go all-in on the offensive line next season and bring in some players that leave Burrow with no doubt that he'll always be protected.  

Like I said, hopefully our coaching staff is smart enough to normally get the ball out of his hands quickly.
Reply/Quote
Nope.

Joe has no fear.
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2021, 03:38 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Carson's first year back and Kimo rolled over his knee, he was nervous in the pocket and never followed through if there was anyone even remotely close to his knee.  He still put up a solid year, but it could have been so much better and we could have made the playoffs.  By '07, he was back to normal and didn't have the fear anymore (or didn't show it in his throws).  

Will Burrow have Carson Syndrome?  He wasn't rolled over from behind, but Carson's fear just seemed to be a fear of anyone being near his knee.

With so many questions on our offensive line, will that play into it and make him have a bigger fear?

I think theres more fear with fans and this offensive line not improving enough to protect Burrow turning him into Andrew Luck 2.0
Reply/Quote
Once he gets hit, and he's fine, what ever hesitation he may have will start to fade away.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
No.
Reply/Quote
Tiger
Now here is the ultimate question for all in Bengaldom.
I'm not speaking about anything other than the offensive line. Do you honestly unequivocally think that this organization done everything this offseason to protect Joe Burrow? Yes or No

Lets wait to see if.... Nope not this time can't afford it
Reply/Quote
People always talk sht about Carson around here lol but I have no problem acknowledging that he was a freakin' SAINT for a few years. The difference I see between Carson and Burrow is that it happened a bit later in Carson's career and he was never a mobile type to begin with. He came back like a hero, but I think bigger negative impact came from how he'd lost his aura of invincibility. Leading up to that playoff game, everything felt unstoppable. Then Kimo happened on the biggest stage at the most important time, people immediately went back to the fact that this team might be cursed, and we never recovered. We certainly never generated the same kind of momentum again.

In that sense, I think it's good that this happened to Burrow while the team was still a bottom-feeder. Maybe that aura of invincibility isn't gone, just by virtue of how we haven't seen it yet anyway.

But do I expect him to be able to scramble without favoring his leg? No chance. That Burrow is gone. It's not just the injury, but also 10 months of rehab and scrutiny. It's not something he wants to experience again, and he won't be nearly as reckless as a result imo- for better or worse.
Reply/Quote
Nope, that's comparing apples to oranges,

Carson's a wench and

Joe is a man about to become "the" man.

Big difference.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2021, 06:41 PM)tms Wrote: People always talk sht about Carson around here lol but I have no problem acknowledging that he was a freakin' SAINT for a few years. The difference I see between Carson and Burrow is that it happened a bit later in Carson's career and he was never a mobile type to begin with. He came back like a hero, but I think bigger negative impact came from how he'd lost his aura of invincibility. Leading up to that playoff game, everything felt unstoppable. Then Kimo happened on the biggest stage at the most important time, people immediately went back to the fact that this team might be cursed, and we never recovered. We certainly never generated the same kind of momentum again.

In that sense, I think it's good that this happened to Burrow while the team was still a bottom-feeder. Maybe that aura of invincibility isn't gone, just by virtue of how we haven't seen it yet anyway.

But do I expect him to be able to scramble without favoring his leg? No chance. That Burrow is gone. It's not just the injury, but also 10 months of rehab and scrutiny. It's not something he wants to experience again, and he won't be nearly as reckless as a result imo- for better or worse.

The elbow injury also hurt Carson a lot. Both injuries also happened with FAR better O-lines than the one Joe had to play behind
last season. I don't know if the scrambling Burrow is gone but he definitely has had a lot of time to watch his film last year and see
where he made some mistakes in taking unnecessary hits. Might be a blessing in disguise as you say this happened when we were
bottom dwellers, now he has even more to prove.
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2021, 05:27 PM)jason Wrote: Once he gets hit, and he's fine, what ever hesitation he may have will start to fade away.

So your saying we shouldn't have upgraded the line?  Ninja

Reply/Quote
(05-13-2021, 05:27 PM)jason Wrote: Once he gets hit, and he's fine, what ever hesitation he may have will start to fade away.

I’ll never forget the 2006 preseason game against the packers. Carson’s first game back after the injury. I was only watching on tv, but I’ll never got forget the roaring applause Carson received after taking his first hit. He got right up, and went on to absolutely light up the packers defense.

One of my greatest memories as a Bengal fan
Reply/Quote
I think there’s quite a difference between Carson and Burrow.After Burrow gets roughed up a few times,and he will,then that competitive spirit of his will kick in,and he’ll be back to normal.Besides,he’ll be wearing a brace on that knee the entire season for added support.These new lightweight high tech braces they have today provide excellent support without hindering mobility.I think having the brace with also give a little more confidence with the knee.
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2021, 08:00 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: So your saying we shouldn't have upgraded the line?  Ninja

Well Joe is sneaky athletic... Earn your money bro!!! Scramble!!!
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2021, 05:37 PM)Emeritus Wrote: Tiger
Now here is the ultimate question for all in Bengaldom.
I'm not speaking about anything other than the offensive line. Do you honestly unequivocally think that this organization done everything this offseason to protect Joe Burrow? Yes or No

Lets wait to see if.... Nope not this time can't afford it

Yes the absolutely did. Not even really a question. The bottom line is they did not do what you wanted them to do.
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2021, 07:56 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: The elbow injury also hurt Carson a lot. Both injuries also happened with FAR better O-lines than the one Joe had to play behind
last season. I don't know if the scrambling Burrow is gone but he definitely has had a lot of time to watch his film last year and see
where he made some mistakes in taking unnecessary hits. Might be a blessing in disguise as you say this happened when we were
bottom dwellers, now he has even more to prove.

Joe more than likely will always hold the ball longer than most would like him to and he is also going to run more than some think he should. Those are parts of his game and frankly part of what makes him very dangerous. Taking that out of his game changes the player that he is.
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2021, 09:16 PM)OSUfan Wrote: Joe is more than likely always hold the ball longer than most would like him to and he is also going to run more than some think he should. Those are parts of his game and frankly part of what makes him very dangerous. Taking that out of his game changes the player that he is.

Yeah, that probably is my biggest concern. If the injury hurts the elusiveness of his game. 

This trait along with his competitiveness, accuracy and smarts can truly make him the best.
Reply/Quote