Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Will Burrow have Carson Syndrome?
(05-17-2021, 02:46 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Exactly because, no matter how good Burrow plays in practice, they're not going to start him because they're planning for the next few years.

You may be right, and I never played pro football but the words "no matter how well I play they're not going to start me" just sounds like loser talk to me.  Actually, that sounds like something I would have said before I started admitting I just sucked at stuff.  Ha!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2021, 02:38 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I'm not ragging on Burrow.  I'm just saying it looks like he did the same thing Carson Palmer did.  He didn't like the situation he was in and felt held back so he went somewhere that wanted him and got a big ol' payday out of it.

Hopefully Burrow doesn't feel like the Bengals are ever holding him back.

It seems like there's a substantial and obvious gap between "sitting the bench in college" and "getting paid top 3 money in the NFL to start".

Burrow was trying to spark his career. Palmer already had it going.

...and I'm not one of those who hated Palmer for his trade demand.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2021, 02:51 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: It seems like there's a substantial and obvious gap between "sitting the bench in college" and "getting paid top 3 money in the NFL to start".

Burrow was trying to spark his career. Palmer already had it going.

...and I'm not one of those who hated Palmer for his trade demand.

Palmer got a big deal from AZ, he wasn't getting another one of those here.  Toss in that Mike Brown isn't known for going all-in to win and it's a no-brainer I guess.

At any rate, I'm just hoping Burrow's days of leaving Ohio teams that aren't putting him a position to succeed are behind him.
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2021, 02:53 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Palmer got a big deal from AZ, he wasn't getting another one of those here.  Toss in that Mike Brown isn't known for going all-in to win and it's a no-brainer I guess.

At any rate, I'm just hoping Burrow's days of leaving Ohio teams that aren't putting him a position to succeed are behind him.

Debatable. Mike thought so highly of Palmer that he was willing to sit on his contract until Hue came with a Godfather offer. So I have no reason to believe Palmer wouldn't have been paid handsomely for the rest of his Bengals career.

Burrow's career hadn't even gotten off the ground yet.

I see where you're going with this, but loyalty tends to be a bit easier for some once they're making 8 figures. So it's impossible to use Burrow's transfer as evidence that he may be likely to pull a Palmer on us.

It's just 2 very different situations.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Just to be clear, I am not bashing Burrow for his decision to leave OSU. Instead I am just pointing out how silly it is to crticize Palmer and call him "weak" for doing the same thing.

Burrow may be just as tough as Palmer was when it comes to playing injured, but we just have not seen it yet.
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2021, 03:02 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: It's just 2 very different situations.

True...but then again this entire thread is based upon the premise that Burrow is going to respond to an ACL tear much better than a guy who had two ACL tears in his career and came back the next year both times and put up great numbers and didn't miss any games.  The entire premise seems a little salty, but that's the fun us message board nuts have, aint it?
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2021, 03:02 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Just to be clear, I am not bashing Burrow for his decision to leave OSU. Instead I am just pointing out how silly it is to crticize Palmer and call him "weak" for doing the same thing.

Burrow may be just as tough as Palmer was when it comes to playing injured, but we just have not seen it yet.

I agree with you there. I never questioned Palmer's toughness due to his trade demand. I questioned it due to other things. Such as constantly blaming his receivers for INTs. Or always loving USC and the West Coast more than Ohio. He never mentally adjusted and accepted life in the Midwest.
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2021, 03:05 PM)Nately120 Wrote: True...but then again this entire thread is based upon the premise that Burrow is going to respond to an ACL tear much better than a guy who had two ACL tears in his career and came back the next year both times and put up great numbers and didn't miss any games.  The entire premise seems a little salty, but that's the fun us message board nuts have, aint it?

Just reading the OP itself and none of the follow up posts, I think the OP has some merit. There was a lot of talk back then about the injury having some affect on Palmer. That he was spooked and didn't step into throws sometimes.

Is there any reason to believe Burrow will be any better? Probably not yet. We'll have to see. Burrow hasn't dealt with a catastrophic injury before.

Using Carson's trade demand or Burrow's transfer as evidence of mental weakness seems silly to me.
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2021, 02:37 PM)Nately120 Wrote: That makes sense, but we also seem to have this notion that Burrow is the kind of guy who sees a tough or unfair situation and uses that as fuel to give it 157% and force his way to the top.

Burrow couldn't control whether Urban Meyer chose to make him the starter or not.
Meyer felt that Dwayne Haskins had a better handle on their offense, for better or worse.
While Haskins has basically floundered in the NFL so far, he wasn't some scrub college QB.
Given Burrow had already ridden the bench for 3 years, it made sense to see if he could get better/more opportunity somewhere else.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(05-17-2021, 02:48 PM)Nately120 Wrote: You may be right, and I never played pro football but the words "no matter how well I play they're not going to start me" just sounds like loser talk to me.  Actually, that sounds like something I would have said before I started admitting I just sucked at stuff.  Ha!

Well clearly he didn't suck, as he went on to have arguably the greatest college QB season in history.
It could be that he just wasn't as suited for Urban Meyer's style of offense compared to Dwayne Haskins.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(05-17-2021, 03:29 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Burrow couldn't control whether Urban Meyer chose to make him the starter or not.
Meyer felt that Dwayne Haskins had a better handle on their offense, for better or worse.
While Haskins has basically floundered in the NFL so far, he wasn't some scrub college QB.
Given Burrow had already ridden the bench for 3 years, it made sense to see if he could get better/more opportunity somewhere else.

Hey, I'm all about the Bengals giving Burrow more control.
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2021, 03:32 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Well clearly he didn't suck, as he went on to have arguably the greatest college QB season in history.
It could be that he just wasn't as suited for Urban Meyer's style of offense compared to Dwayne Haskins.

I get it.  I'm mostly running with Fred's pot-stirring because I'm endlessly amused by the ultra-fandom view we have of Burrow.  We have this simultaneous notion that he will do anything it takes to win, but he is also going to be insanely loyal to a franchise that has issues with trying to win.  How fun it is to walk the hire wire, no?
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2021, 03:37 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I get it.  I'm mostly running with Fred's pot-stirring because I'm endlessly amused by the ultra-fandom view we have of Burrow.  We have this simultaneous notion that he will do anything it takes to win, but he is also going to be insanely loyal to a franchise that has issues with trying to win.  How fun it is to walk the hire wire, no?

I'm not one of those guys who thinks Burrow is ultra-loyal.
I think he'll give his effort while a Bengal, but I could see choosing to go elsewhere in FA if he's not liking the direction the Bengals are going.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(05-17-2021, 03:39 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I'm not one of those guys who thinks Burrow is ultra-loyal.
I think he'll give his effort while a Bengal, but I could see choosing to go elsewhere in FA if he's not liking the direction the Bengals are going.

I get you, I'm just sort of using the universal "we" and I include myself in those mesmerized by the Burrow hype even when I'm trying to call us out on it.
Reply/Quote
Different-different, same-same. Both were in a situations that they felt weren't good for them and made decisions to get out of those situations. I understand that Carson was an established veteran that was being paid well for his services. He still felt he wasn't in the best situation staying with the Mike Brown led Bengals. As I've mentioned before, he was far from the first player to feel that way in the Mike Brown era.

So add to it what you want, but it boils down to the exact same thing, both Carson and Joe were in situations they felt were not best for them and both made a decision to leave those situations.
Reply/Quote
there is really only one way to Settle This... .Palmer Vs Burrow.... @ Trivia night.
Reply/Quote