Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Will Clarke & Hunt?
(09-26-2016, 02:07 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Yeah.  That call was total BS.

BS none the less, it helped continue that scoring drive.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2016, 04:44 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: I was disappointed we didn't bring in additional players to push Clarke and Hunt, but I think we need to give a tip of the cap to Jacob Burney. He's got these two guys playing their asses off.

As for MJ, I think he's just starting to wear down. He's only 29, which should still be his prime, but he's not playing like he used to. He used to get a good bend when rushing around the tackle, but he's a lot more vertical now. It seems like he's content with just standing in front of the tackle and hoping to jump up and knock a pass down.

I can't tell you how many times I've watched them drop Michael Johnson into coverage.  I get that it's the scheme, but I'm not a fan of dropping a 4-3 defensive end into coverage.  For my money's worth, I want to see the defensive end rush the passer or set the edge against the run, not try to cover a TE or RB out of the backfield. I realize they're trying to confuse the opposing QB and offensive line with these types of coverages but I don't think they've fooled anybody yet.
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2016, 10:12 AM)NKYRob Wrote: I can't tell you how many times I've watched them drop Michael Johnson into coverage.  I get that it's the scheme, but I'm not a fan of dropping a 4-3 defensive end into coverage.  For my money's worth, I want to see the defensive end rush the passer or set the edge against the run, not try to cover a TE or RB out of the backfield. I realize they're trying to confuse the opposing QB and offensive line with these types of coverages but I don't think they've fooled anybody yet.

We won the game, so no big deal, but I still remember being absolutely infuriated in 2014 against the Broncos, when they dropped Dunlap into coverage against Demaryius.

It was something like 3rd and 12 and of course they converted.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2016, 07:59 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I agree completely, but not sure if they were all Dunlap's....Bengals as a team had at least 6 taken with holds.  Still makes me want to vomit, but what about the Jets game?  The Broncos game?  

Mhm, I mean in total: on Sunday, I didn't see any egregious holds on the Broncos, but I did see it in the first two.

Honestly, I think they would've indeed had 7 sacks against Ben (6 holds and Clarke's sack).
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2016, 09:30 AM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: BS none the less, it helped continue that scoring drive.

Well, that's not exactly Johnson's fault. He got called for something he didn't do.....
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2016, 10:26 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: We won the game, so no big deal, but I still remember being absolutely infuriated in 2014 against the Broncos, when they dropped Dunlap into coverage against Demaryius.

It was something like 3rd and 12 and of course they converted.

We did against Buffalo in 2013 as well. I don't remember if it was MJ or Dunlap, but I wish we'd stop dropping DEs into coverage.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
In Geno Atkins' defense -- not that he needs it -- he is being blocked by two linemen on most every down. That frees up Margus Hunt to make plays.
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2016, 07:58 PM)Millhouse Wrote:  Speaking of, did MJ do anything today, like get at least semi-close to a sack or hurry? Talk about falling off since his one really good season.

(09-25-2016, 08:02 PM)bengals73 Wrote: I didn't see him do anything positive for the team.

I did see him standing around doing nothing on one play

(09-25-2016, 09:37 PM)corpjet Wrote: Will Clarke has played solid, he needs to be starting instead of Michael Johnson at this point....

(09-25-2016, 09:42 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I think the only time I heard MJ's name is when he got called for a hold

MJ is 5th in the NFL in QB hurries

http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/defensive-hurries/2016/
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2016, 09:33 AM)SHRacerX Wrote:  Where is Dunlap? 

Leading all NFL DEs in passes defended (tipped)

http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/passes-defended/2016/

And second in the league in QB hurries

Reply/Quote
(09-27-2016, 10:55 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Leading all NFL DEs in passes defended (tipped)

http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/passes-defended/2016/

And second in the league in QB hurries

And I'm sure those would get you a fat FA contract over actual sacks or TFLs?  

I understand it takes an entire front four and one guy can't do it alone.  It is still fresh in my mind that the Bengals tried to sign MJ BEFORE Dunlap, and MJ turned down their offer and Dunlap was extended something like a week later.  

If I don't get sacks out of him,  can I get some leadership?  Who is the leader of this defense?  Adam Jones?  I know everyone is saying Burfict, but I fear he is one hit from something like a year suspension.  The Bengals need others to step up and get their defense going.  Sunday was pathetic.  
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2016, 10:28 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Mhm, I mean in total: on Sunday, I didn't see any egregious holds on the Broncos, but I did see it in the first two.

Honestly, I think they would've indeed had 7 sacks against Ben (6 holds and Clarke's sack).

I agree with you, but reliving it just infuriates me.  They protect Pig Ben, but Dalton gets three penalties in one late hit and not one is called.  Pisses me off to no end.  If I ever see Roger Goodell, I will take out his knee and then claim I was blocked in to him.  Cheating bastards.
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2016, 11:30 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: And I'm sure those would get you a fat FA contract over actual sacks or TFLs?  

Yes it will because NFL teams are smarter than fans who think nothing matters except sacks.  I still remember all the stupid Bengal fans who claimed Justin Smith was garbage because he did not put up big sacks numbers.  Then he became a free agent and got paid more than any other DE on the market.

In addition to his high ranking in pressures and passes defended Dunlap also ranks 4th in the league in tackles by a DE, but let's bench him for Will Clarke because he has more sacks.
Reply/Quote
Both have played really well and as others have mentioned, better than MJ.

If this keeps up we need to start easing these guys into earlier downs taking MJ's snaps.
Reply/Quote
I don't think either have played better than MJ overall, but I think the light is turning on at the right time for both of them.

Hunt has two blocked kicks, and Dunlap has one. If we can get one more in the next two weeks coaches will start to rethink going for long field goals, and kickers will start to think about the blocks when they are sent on the field. They will try to get it up to be sure and clear the line at the expense of the distance they need the kick to go.
Reply/Quote
I've been all for keeping Hunt and Clarke around for at least their rookie deals. It's hard to find people to play end in a 4-3 and Marvin really seems to have a certain body type he is looking for. 6' 5"+ 280+ and lean and athletic. There just aren't many people who fit that mold. So one has to be willing to take chances and be willing to stick with guys and develop them. Carlos Dunlap is the only DE drafted under Marvin that's made an immediate and lasting impact, and if he hadn't made a mistake before the Sugar(?) Bowl we wouldn't have had a chance at drafting him. I'm just happy to see both contribute.
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2016, 11:30 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: And I'm sure those would get you a fat FA contract over actual sacks or TFLs?  

I understand it takes an entire front four and one guy can't do it alone.  It is still fresh in my mind that the Bengals tried to sign MJ BEFORE Dunlap, and MJ turned down their offer and Dunlap was extended something like a week later.  

If I don't get sacks out of him,  can I get some leadership?  Who is the leader of this defense?  Adam Jones?  I know everyone is saying Burfict, but I fear he is one hit from something like a year suspension.  The Bengals need others to step up and get their defense going.  Sunday was pathetic.  

This is pretty ridiculous.  Dunlap has consistently produced every season he has played.  He will get 8 plus sacks this season.  He is has also been a leader.  Ask any of his teammates.  Oh and it was a good thing they didn't sign MJ to Dunlaps deal.  He hasn't produced like Carlos.  There are criticisms to be made of this team but Carlos Dunlap isn't one of them.
Reply/Quote
Margus knows he's one of those Bengals players that when they get cut they are done and no other team wants them. That and the contract year are causing Margus to over achieve.
Reply/Quote
I'd say there are numerous teams that would love to have Hunt in their rotation. And maybe he's overachieving because he's not playing through a back injury this year and is finally getting enough snaps to get comfortable.
Reply/Quote