Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Will Coronavirus Put USA On Top?
I realize that preventing the spread and preventing more deaths is the key here, and I also realize that the US already is the second-largest exporter behind China, but will the Coronavirus, when cured or a vaccine is found, make the US the mass dominator in exports and take that title away from China? Will tons of jobs and manufacturing plans return to the states? Will everyone be so weary and mad at China for bringing about this epidemic that everyone says "enough is enough"?

Like I said, I realize that there are much bigger concerns, but I'm stuck in my place with nothing to do but think, so will the Coronavirus be good for the country in the long run?
Doubtful, once this passes, as all things do, everything will return to it's normal order.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(03-13-2020, 05:09 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Doubtful, once this passes, as all things do, everything will return to it's normal order.

This.

Chinese exports will still be cheaper.  That is all that matters.
(03-13-2020, 05:09 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Doubtful, once this passes, as all things do, everything will return to it's normal order.

Maybe, but I can see Trump taking to the podium and rallying citizens to never let this happen again by investing in America.  

This could be one of the greatest things to happen to the American economy (I'm not saying the loss of lives is a good thing, just that moving away from reliance on China because of it is).
(03-13-2020, 07:40 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Maybe, but I can see Trump taking to the podium and rallying citizens to never let this happen again by investing in America.  

This could be one of the greatest things to happen to the American economy (I'm not saying the loss of lives is a good thing, just that moving away from reliance on China because of it is).

Hilarious 

[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(03-13-2020, 07:40 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Maybe, but I can see Trump taking to the podium and rallying citizens to never let this happen again by investing in America.  

Again, doubtful.  History shows that cheaper, faster wins most times over quality, loyalty.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(03-13-2020, 07:41 PM)GMDino Wrote: Hilarious 

Hey Tony.... Why the **** did you disband the pandemic response squad or whatever?

Apparently Tony is the real hefe... Tony has me inspired to break our reliance on China.

What a putz...
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
China is blaming us and beating their chests for a job well done on their containment. Russian trolls are spreading conspiracies blaming the US.

And I don’t think we have reached the peak of the problem here at home yet.

So no. Us showing the world we have a federal government that is less capable than China in handling a pandemic is not a good thing and wont help our standing in the world.
Remind me this in 2 months when people will lose their job due to inactivity and confinement and won't be able to afford the test because they won't be insured anymore and the virus will hit every town and villaga of this country for the lack of national healthcare ...

2 months.

And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

(03-14-2020, 01:19 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: China is blaming us and beating their chests for a job well done on their containment. Russian trolls are spreading conspiracies blaming the US.

So no. Us showing the world we have a federal government that is less capable than China in handling a pandemic is not a good thing and wont help our standing in the world.

And everyone needs to stop hoarding the toilet paper, cleaning supplies, and food. You're an embarrassment....
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
(03-14-2020, 10:02 AM)jason Wrote: And everyone needs to stop hoarding the toilet paper, cleaning supplies, and food. You're an embarrassment....

That is just standard, knee-jerk panic.  Once the stupid people blow through their entire weeks pay from hoarding, in a few days, the rest of us can resume our normal shopping habits.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(03-14-2020, 10:27 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: That is just standard, knee-jerk panic.  Once the stupid people blow through their entire weeks pay from hoarding, in a few days, the rest of us can resume our normal shopping habits.

Last nigh was my first venture into a store since this has happened... I asked the cashier if they had told her to stop asking if I'd found everything I needed.

Literally no meat, toilet paper, milk, bread, bottled water. or cheese.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
(03-14-2020, 10:31 AM)jason Wrote: Last nigh was my first venture into a store since this has happened... I asked the cashier if they had told her to stop asking if I'd found everything I needed.

Literally no meat, toilet paper, milk, bread, bottled water. or cheese.

I stopped at the grocery for a single item, on my way home from work, yesterday.  What I saw was some serious lunacy going on.  After I fetched my single item, and went to the checkout, I was on the verge of just putting down my bottle of diet tonic water, and heading out the door.  As all of the open lanes were clogged up with cart after cart, mounded two feet over the top.

Lucky for me, one of the regular cashiers saw me and motioned me over to the customer service counter, where I was able to side step the pandemonium, and be on my way.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(03-14-2020, 10:02 AM)jason Wrote: And everyone needs to stop hoarding the toilet paper, cleaning supplies, and food. You're an embarrassment....

People just need to stay away from Chinese food and we'll all be fine.
(03-14-2020, 01:19 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: China is blaming us and beating their chests for a job well done on their containment. Russian trolls are spreading conspiracies blaming the US.

So far, looks like China has done a good job of containment. 

Their widespread testing shows a drastic drop in new cases.
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/china/

South Korea too.  

Is the "Dem-hoax-to-make-the-president-look-bad" phase over? Rather than waste time informing listeners how to protect against the virus, Hannity was in full on blame China mode last night.  They need to be "held responsible" etc. 

All this unnecessarily heated rhetoric while they, at the moment, produce most of our antibiotics. 

Well, unnecessary if you are trying to control a pandemic and keep access to our antibiotics. 

If you are trying to boost Trump, this line of "news" could be helpfully distracting from administration missteps, which are likely to continue. Shift attention from info and analysis to "us" vs "them."

Why are Dems ignoring China? LOL  "Foreign" disease! "Chinese" virus.  This will be especially effective against Trump voters who stopped buying Corona beer.
Americans will mostly be focused on costs. Also, Trump’s incompetence will get more blame than China for how COVID 19 impacts the US. No one is going to rally behind him to spend more money on US goods.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

Zero chance that the powers that be disrupt an entire global supply chain once this ends. Everything is hyper profit-driven on a quarterly basis. Long-term anything is an absolute non-issue to big business. It's about saving more and making more right now, forever and ever. Any approach involving the greater good or preparedness will be cast aside for cost savings as soon as this event is out of sight/mind.
(03-14-2020, 01:31 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Americans will mostly be focused on costs. Also, Trump’s incompetence will get more blame than China for how COVID 19 impacts the US. No one is going to really behind him to spend more money on US goods.

So I was on a whole rant today about how 40 years, starting with Regan and moving through the union busting, wage freezing, profit hoarding, benefit limiting, conglomeration building, small store killing etc movement has brought us to here where people can't afford to take time off work, have no or horrible healthcare that they can't afford and our supply chain is to Walmart.

And how that can't change unless we change the entire structure that capitalism has been built on.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(03-14-2020, 03:16 PM)GMDino Wrote: So I was on a whole rant today about how 40 years, starting with Regan and moving through the union busting, wage freezing, profit hoarding, benefit limiting, conglomeration building, small store killing etc movement has brought us to here where people can't afford to take time off work, have no or horrible healthcare that they can't afford and our supply chain is to Walmart.

And how that can't change unless we change the entire structure that capitalism has been built on.

It's all good.  The more we wave flags, wear red hats, follow televangelists, and get rid of brown people, the better our lives will be.  This is America!  That's literally all you have to say to fix everything.  No matter what happens, it's America and by default insurmountably better than any other place with any idea other that making rich people richer and shitting on the poor (and the working class on the DL).  

We have fake populism to save us now with a mental midget reality show clown president in place to make sure his loyal followers get the shit sandwich with all the right fixin's to eat it and smile.   
(03-14-2020, 03:31 PM)samhain Wrote: It's all good.  The more we wave flags, wear red hats, follow televangelists, and get rid of brown people, the better our lives will be.  This is America!  That's literally all you have to say to fix everything.  No matter what happens, it's America and by default insurmountably better than any other place with any idea other that making rich people richer and shitting on the poor (and the working class on the DL).  

We have fake populism to save us now with a mental midget reality show clown president in place to make sure his loyal followers get the shit sandwich with all the right fixin's to eat it and smile.   

Doesn't that general description apply to almost every country out there?

PS You forgot corruption.