Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Will Pence replace Trump?
Or will the RNC ride Trump over the cliff?

Ryan has put out a statement saying Trump will not be appearing with him in Wisconsin tomorrow as scheduled, after Trump's "sickening " comments.

Romney's take: "Hitting on married women? Condoning assault? Such vile degradations demean our wives and daughters and corrupt America's face to the world.”  http://www.thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/299937-romney-trumps-vile-comments-on-women-corrupt-americas-face-to

What would finally cross the line for the Evangelicals, Mormons, and "real" conservatives who used to be the party ty base?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
If Pence gets the top billing, which I don't know if it could happen at this point, but if he did it would be a huge controversy. With Pence not having run in the primaries it would cause a big kerfuffle because he would be placed on the ticket without the people having any say in it.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(10-07-2016, 11:13 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: If Pence gets the top billing, which I don't know if it could happen at this point, but if he did it would be a huge controversy. With Pence not having run in the primaries it would cause a big kerfuffle because he would be placed on the ticket without the people having any say in it.

At least two Congressmen plus the Gov. of Utah have withdrawn endorsement. All down ballot candidates will be asked if they reaffirm their support. How many will risk that?

I suspect he will step down under pressure, which will be less controversial than being forced out.

Perhaps Kasich will step up as VP?

According to MSNBC, Trump is working on an apology video tonight. When that last ditch effort fails and he flops in Sunday nights debate, even he might see the writing on the wall.

More video may be on the way . . .
(10-08-2016, 12:44 AM)Dill Wrote: At least two Congressmen plus the Gov. of Utah have withdrawn endorsement. All down ballot candidates will be asked if they reaffirm their support. How many will risk that?

I suspect he will step down under pressure, which will be less controversial than being forced out.

Perhaps Kasich will step up as VP?

According to MSNBC, Trump is working on an apology video tonight. When that last ditch effort fails and he flops in Sunday nights debate, even he might see the writing on the wall.

More video may be on the way . . .

CNN is all over him like smoke on fire as well, saying that not only has he lost any chance at winning the election, he has damaged his "reputation" in his personal/business life beyond repair. While this might be wishful thinking by some, I wonder how much more buffoonery can this guy survive? 
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
(10-08-2016, 01:24 AM)wildcats forever Wrote: CNN is all over him like smoke on fire as well, saying that not only has he lost any chance at winning the election, he has damaged his "reputation" in his personal/business life beyond repair. While this might be wishful thinking by some, I wonder how much more buffoonery can this guy survive? 

Well its weird. He said he could shoot somebody and not lose voters. So this too shall pass. Unless he is an orange bag of smashed assholes that also lies. 
I saw on Twitter an last night an article from The Atlantic, I think it was, asking NBC to release uncut footage from The Apprentice to the American people. I have to admit, that would be interesting.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(10-08-2016, 08:47 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: I saw on Twitter an last night an article from The Atlantic, I think it was, asking NBC to release uncut footage from The Apprentice to the American people. I have to admit, that would be interesting.

Suddenly, it is hard to keep track of all Republican stars who are withdrawing support for Trump now--Hugh Hewitt and Carly Fiorina in the last few minutes.

As so many predicted, Trump is splitting the party.
(10-08-2016, 01:35 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Well its weird. He said he could shoot somebody and not lose voters. So this too shall pass. Unless he is an orange bag of smashed assholes that also lies. 

If he married a Mexican or a Muslim, I think that would finally turn his supporters away.
Hopefully the Conservatives can get behind Evan McMullin and he can carry enough electorial votes to not allow a majority.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(10-08-2016, 01:26 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Hopefully the Conservatives can get behind Evan McMullin and he can carry enough electorial votes to not allow a majority.
He only has ballot access in about 11 states.

Also, ballots are already printed, people are already voting. If Trump is replaced it will be too little too late.
If only Bernie getting shafted by the DNC would have split the Dems too. Then we'd have complete destruction of the 2 party system.
[Image: 85d8232ebbf088d606250ddec1641e7b.jpg]
(10-08-2016, 12:47 PM)Dill Wrote: Suddenly, it is hard to keep track of all Republican stars who are withdrawing support for Trump now--Hugh Hewitt and Carly Fiorina in the last few minutes.

As so many predicted, Trump is splitting the party.

There was a GOP strategist saying Trump doesn't deserve to call himself a man, last night. She was pissed.

(10-08-2016, 03:52 PM)Aquapod770 Wrote: If only Bernie getting shafted by the DNC would have split the Dems too. Then we'd have complete destruction of the 2 party system.
What possible good would follow from that?
(10-08-2016, 03:31 PM)Dill Wrote: He only has ballot access in about 11 states.

Also, ballots are already printed, people are already voting. If Trump is replaced it will be too little too late.

His plan is not to win the popular election; it is to come in 3rd and stop anyone from getting a majority. He just needs to take a couple states.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(10-08-2016, 04:23 PM)Dill Wrote: What possible good would follow from that?

Really? Tons. Legitimate 3rd and 4th parties. Compromise may actually be a thing again. Voting for the "lesser of two evils" would go away (maybe). And many many more.
[Image: 85d8232ebbf088d606250ddec1641e7b.jpg]
(10-08-2016, 04:59 PM)Aquapod770 Wrote: Really? Tons. Legitimate 3rd and 4th parties. Compromise may actually be a thing again. Voting for the "lesser of two evils" would go away (maybe). And many many more.

Well I agree a parliamentary system with legitimate third and fourth and even fifth parties might be a very good thing. One positive result might be a better (politically aware) electorate.

But I don't think the collapse of both parties right now would produce that. I think, rather, a crisis or even
collapse of government and economy would follow--a serious depression and serious civil unrest, fertile ground for demagoguery and party of order.

One element of the Republican party is not presently amenable to compromise with anyone, and I think that a
political or economic crisis would make it even less so.
Replacing Trump, even with Pence would be the end of the Republican Party as we know it. They'd leave millions of jilted Trump supporters in their wake, and I don't believe they'd be so easy to sweep into the dustbin of history. Hell, they're already being told that the electoral process has been rigged against them. As much as I can't stand the guy, he's the choice the people made in the primaries, and the idea of the party playing parent with it's electorate doesn't much appeal to me. They have to ride this one out and regroup if they don't want to become a 5 alarm latrine fire.

I've never much feared Trump, because I think at his core he's an overly impulsive child. He lacks the discipline to save himself form unnecessary controversy and problems, and this is what will render him benign. Utterly predictable and easy to dupe. What would scare the shit out of me is a nationwide mob of shamed and angry Trump supporters forming their own party and getting behind a truly organized and competent candidate. There's a strong chance that this would happen if Republicans removed him from the ticket.
Either way the GOP is absolutely imploding. At this point it is looking like the Dems are going to take back the Senate and the HoR will probably come pretty close to evening out.
(10-08-2016, 10:25 PM)samhain Wrote: Replacing Trump, even with Pence would be the end of the Republican Party as we know it.  They'd leave millions of jilted Trump supporters in their wake, and I don't believe they'd be so easy to sweep into the dustbin of history.  Hell, they're already being told that the electoral process has been rigged against them.  As much as I can't stand the guy, he's the choice the people made in the primaries, and the idea of the party playing parent with it's electorate doesn't much appeal to me.  They have to ride this one out and regroup if they don't want to become a 5 alarm latrine fire.

I've never much feared Trump, because I think at his core he's an overly impulsive child.  He lacks the discipline to save himself form unnecessary controversy and problems, and this is what will render him benign.  Utterly predictable and easy to dupe.  What would scare the shit out of me is a nationwide mob of shamed and angry Trump supporters forming their own party and getting behind a truly organized and competent candidate.  There's a strong chance that this would happen if Republicans removed him from the ticket.
I agree with much of what you say here--except I would very much fear Trump if he won the presidency, precisely because he is so undisciplined, immature, ignorant of statecraft, and impulsive with a terrible petty-vindictive streak.  None of this would render him benign in the oval office.

Angry Trump supporters will be a problem whether he wins or not, and very much so if the RNC removed Trump. But I don't think they can do that. They can only pressure him to step down. 

If Trump won they would still be angry because he would be unable to do few of the things he promised; he would pick the worst advisors and everyday have to be schooled in how the executive branch operates and warned of the consequences of his foreign policy decisions. Waves of insecurity, instability and confusion would "trickle down" through all executive departments (including the Dept. of Defense) and the CIA rendering them eventually dysfunctional.  Trump supporters will claim they have been "sold out" again.
(10-08-2016, 10:34 PM)treee Wrote: Either way the GOP is absolutely imploding. At this point it is looking like the Dems are going to take back the Senate and the HoR will probably come pretty close to evening out.
I don't know about the HoR, but I agree with the rest.