Poll: Will We Bring In FAs To Fix The Line?
No, We'll Roll With What We Have
Yes, We'll Make Moves
Too Early To Tell
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Will We Bring In O-Linemen?
(08-11-2018, 09:41 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Given how this offseason has seemed like we're going all-in to win now and like we've been making moves to try and improve the roster, if the line doesn't show enough improvement over the next few preseason games, will we bring in any free agents to try and strengthen the weak areas on the line?  Would we make moves after last cuts?

Not everyone sees the line as too bad, and maybe it's not, but we can't do anything without protection for Andy to throw the ball, and teams mostly play vanilla defense in the preseason, so, if they struggle now, they'll seriously be eaten alive in the regular season.

Edit:  I just realized that I put "to early to tell" instead of "too early," so if a mod could fix that for me, I'd appreciate it  ThumbsUp

I think if Og and Fisher continue to struggle without a doubt one of them will be cut and we will bring in one OT.

Pollack is open minded and just wants the best Line out there. This is different in years past when this team would settle.
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2018, 03:56 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I think if Og and Fisher continue to struggle without a doubt one of them will be cut and we will bring in one OT.

Pollack is open minded and just wants the best Line out there. This is different in years past when this team would settle.

Yep, which goes along with a new mentality and Mike Brown letting the coaches run the show because, in years under Mike Brown, the guys making the most money would play, regardless of talent.

Marvin has also seemed to transition from that thought of letting the vets play over young guys, regardless of talent.  

I'm just still amazed that two guys picked in the first two rounds can be this big of busts, but I'm still hoping that Pollack's coaching can make a light turn on for at least one of them.
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2018, 04:21 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Yep, which goes along with a new mentality and Mike Brown letting the coaches run the show because, in years under Mike Brown, the guys making the most money would play, regardless of talent.

Marvin has also seemed to transition from that thought of letting the vets play over young guys, regardless of talent.  

I'm just still amazed that two guys picked in the first two rounds can be this big of busts, but I'm still hoping that Pollack's coaching can make a light turn on for at least one of them.

PA was a bigger hinderance to Mike Brown and this entire organization probably more than he or we will ever know it seems.

I can only judge Marv on his coaching prowess from here on out. So far, we are seeing no sabotage and a cohesive unit for once. I honestly think it will work itself out with the way these guys are doing things. The Line looked completely different
than the last two seasons and as Pollack says this is not the set in stone Line.

Whispering to Brad...shhhh

Whisper into Pollack's ear...

Boling LT - Westerman LG - Price C - Redmond RG - Glenn RT

Wink
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2018, 12:44 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Bringing in a number of free agents that are actually upgrades, which is unusual for us (Preston Brown, Cordy Glenn, Chris Baker), younger guys looking like they'll get their chance soon when Marvin usually prefers to let vets play, and the number of new coaches when Mike Brown typically is known for being loyal to the point of death being the only reason for a coach's firing.

Any other questions?

Bringing in an old Chris Baker and a linebacker so in demand that we got him on a one year $5m deal aren’t exactly shining examples of a “win now” mentality
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2018, 04:36 PM)N_B Wrote: Bringing in an old Chris Baker and a linebacker so in demand that we got him on a one year $5m deal aren’t exactly shining examples of a “win now” mentality

Chris Baker is not old and Preston Brown only came here on that deal cause Cincy is his home.

Both are in their prime, not the usual old washed out Bengals Free Agency. Let alone Cordy Glenn, drafting arguably
the best Center in the first frickin' round, letting the O-line coach go that screwed us for 23 years, bringing in the O-line
coach that coached the best frickin' O-line in the NFL, could go on if you want.

We are in win now mode, you will see N_B. Cool
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2018, 03:11 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: Pretty much this.  It isn't like there is some super secret group of serviceable tackles and guards sitting around just waiting to get picked up by the right team. 

If they bring in new o-line players they will most likely be players cut from other teams.  Maybe an older guy that still has a little gas in the tank but was overshadowed by newer, younger players.  Even then given the importance of a solid o-line, most castaways probably won't be worth a damn either.  Several teams have already lost o-line players to injury during camp and the preseason so I imagine they will be much more aggressive than the Bengals when it comes to picking up players that might be worth a darn.

tl;dr Too early to tell.  P.S. I'm 6 beers into a good Sunday with Monday off work so probably not expressing my thoughts well.  :)

What typically happens is a few veterans on good money deals, are cut in favor of cheaper young talent.  You know, the salary cap game.  Now, I haven't studied all the teams, their salaries, draft picks for potential replacement well enough to tell you who will likely be out there.  But, every year it seems a few good vets are available at cut time.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2018, 04:40 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Chris Baker is not old and Preston Brown only came here on that deal cause Cincy is his home.

Both are in their prime, not the usual old washed out Bengals Free Agency. Let alone Cordy Glenn, drafting arguably
the best Center in the first frickin' round, letting the O-line coach go that screwed us for 23 years, bringing in the O-line
coach that coached the best frickin' O-line in the NFL, could go on if you want.

We are in win now mode, you will see N_B. Cool

I hope we win every game this season. But even if we do, that doesn’t mean we came into this off season as win now. Nothing we did screams innovative or was above and beyond. The Glenn move was very savvy, but cutting Alexander and drafting Price, etc, were obvious moves. Hell, we tried to re sign Bodine to a long term deal. Meanwhile, I was glad to see Guenther go, but there aren’t many examples of our new OC or DC having sustained success in this league in their current roles

And I could actually see Baker being one of the last cuts to get to the 53. I would say Dunlap, Atkins, Billings, Johnson, Lawson, Willis, Glasgow, and the rookie from OSU are all above him.
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2018, 04:43 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: What typically happens is a few veterans on good money deals, are cut in favor of cheaper young talent.  You know, the salary cap game.  Now, I haven't studied all the teams, their salaries, draft picks for potential replacement well enough to tell you who will likely be out there.  But, every year it seems a few good vets are available at cut time.

Yeah, that is what I was trying to say when I mentioned a few older guys with some gas still left in the tank that might be available in a month or so.  I think it will be a competitive market for them though as several teams have lost some decent o-line players already due to injury from what I seen on the news.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2018, 05:12 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: Yeah, that is what I was trying to say when I mentioned a few older guys with some gas still left in the tank that might be available in a month or so.  I think it will be a competitive market for them though as several teams have lost some decent o-line players already due to injury from what I seen on the news.

For sure, I'll give you one example.  The Bengals waived Division II UDFA, Austin Fleer on Friday.  Within hours the Broncos had him added to their roster.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2018, 04:45 PM)N_B Wrote: I hope we win every game this season.  But even if we do, that doesn’t mean we came into this off season as win now.  Nothing we did screams innovative or was above and beyond.  The Glenn move was very savvy, but cutting Alexander and drafting Price, etc, were obvious moves.  Hell, we tried to re sign Bodine to a long term deal.  Meanwhile, I was glad to see Guenther go, but there aren’t many examples of our new OC or DC having sustained success in this league in their current roles

And I could actually see Baker being one of the last cuts to get to the 53.  I would say Dunlap, Atkins, Billings, Johnson, Lawson, Willis, Glasgow, and the rookie from OSU are all above him.

I guess i have argued this a lot cause there are a few with the same view as you. I just think moving on from PA and
bringing in Pollack was a screaming huge move. I mean, 23 or so years with the same coach and he was the assistant
Head Coach? I think this guy hindered us beyond anything we will ever know. His ego, bad eye for talent and inability
to coach up raw players was quite evident for pretty much everyone to see.

Agreed the Glenn move was very savvy, but there were lots who would never of thought we would of drafted a Center
in the first round. Heck, even i was doubtful even with the new coaches. But we did and it was evidentally another great
move. I think the Baker grab was more for insurance in case Billings didn't come around which was a nice move too.

Just happy Billings is coming around. I think you are correct on who is above him besides MJ, i don't think he is a shoe
in starter anymore with these new coaches. He might even get cut or have to restructure his contract. It is clear that
Lawson, Willis and Hubbard are the future at End.
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2018, 06:18 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I guess i have argued this a lot cause there are a few with the same view as you. I just think moving on from PA and
bringing in Pollack was a screaming huge move. I mean, 23 or so years with the same coach and he was the assistant
Head Coach? I think this guy hindered us beyond anything we will ever know. His ego, bad eye for talent and inability
to coach up raw players was quite evident for pretty much everyone to see.

Agreed the Glenn move was very savvy, but there were lots who would never of thought we would of drafted a Center
in the first round. Heck, even i was doubtful even with the new coaches. But we did and it was evidentally another great
move. I think the Baker grab was more for insurance in case Billings didn't come around which was a nice move too.

Just happy Billings is coming around. I think you are correct on who is above him besides MJ, i don't think he is a shoe
in starter anymore with these new coaches. He might even get cut or have to restructure his contract. It is clear that
Lawson, Willis and Hubbard are the future at End.

A very reasonable take. I guess I’m just not as high on the off-season being some sort of major turning point like others are
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2018, 06:33 PM)N_B Wrote: A very reasonable take.  I guess I’m just not as high on the off-season being some sort of major turning point like others are

Cool man, cool, we will see...
Reply/Quote
Just bring in Incognito and put a muzzle on him.
I think we could survive with just one bad spot on the right side, but two? Could very well be our downfall. I doubt what we have is going to improve much, if any, at all.
"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2018, 07:11 PM)2MinutesHate Wrote: Just bring in Incognito and put a muzzle on him.
I think we could survive with just one bad spot on the right side, but two? Could very well be our downfall. I doubt what we have is going to improve much, if any, at all.

I’m all for crazy man Incognito. Not a fan of Chris Baker. He got stood up a few times the last game.
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2018, 07:16 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: I’m all for crazy man  Incognito.   Not a fan of Chris Baker.  He got stood up a few times the last game.

Incognito, in my opinion, is a sad story.  I think he has some major psychiatric issues based on his behavior, what he says, and what he posts online (and then sometimes deletes).  I don't know if it is substance related or something wrong with his brain chemistry (maybe CTE), but something seems to be well out of the range of normal. I think the last thing he needs is to play more football.  He needs to seek medical/psychiatric help, get well to the best of his ability, and then find something else to do outside of playing football. 

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2018, 07:30 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: Incognito, in my opinion, is a sad story.  I think he has some major psychiatric issues based on his behavior, what he says, and what he posts online (and then sometimes deletes).  I don't know if it is substance related or something wrong with his brain chemistry (maybe CTE), but something seems to be well out of the range of normal. I think the last thing he needs is to play more football.  He needs to seek medical/psychiatric help, get well to the best of his ability, and then find something else to do outside of playing football. 

Yeah, dude has problems and to me RT is a bigger question than RG right now. Incognito is strictly a Guard.

I like what Hart brought last Preseason game but that is one Preseason game and Og and Fish were terreeeblay.

From what Pollack is saying moving guys around could be a possibility. Move Boling to either one of the Tackle
spots that he feels most comfortable, probably LT. Move Glenn to RT, Redmond to RG, Westerman LG and get
the chemistry down is what i am feeling is the best way to really get our Line in the best positions to succeed.

Pollack says there is a lot of time between now and the Colts game and nothing is written in stone.
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2018, 01:38 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Honestly?  Even if Hart continues to improve, and "solidifies" the starting spot, they still need someone better than Ogbuehi or Fisher on the shelf.  How comfortable would you be with Og or Fish being one twisted knee away from either starting Tackle position?

Not comfortable.  Ogbuehi is the last person I want on the right side trying to move people in the run game.  If he doesn't show something big in preseason, I hope they send him to the house.  His tenure here has been an absolute disaster on several levels.  

As for Fisher, I'd really hoped he would become our starting RT this year.  He seems to have a mean streak and worked to add some size last year, which is encouraging.  Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to have translated to him being the heir to Andre Smith or Willie Anderson.  These two just look the same to me, regardless of Pollack's presence so far.  

Things may change, but if I had to bet money, I'd say that their chapters in Bengal history are about finished.  One will be remembered as the biggest bum o-lineman ever drafted with a high pick by this team and the other as a dude that got by because he was on the team at the same time as the biggest bum offensive lineman in the history of this team.  Just move on.
Reply/Quote
Unless another team we don't know about has a real log jam of solid oline players and absolutely forced to agonize over who to keep and who has to be cut we're close to being stuck with who we have moving forward into the season, but I'm confident that someone within the Bengals organization keeps better tabs on these things than any of us mere mortal Bengalsboard fans.. I feel confident that I qualify as a mere mortal . 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(08-12-2018, 12:35 PM)BengalFanInNJ Wrote: I can see them bringing in a guy Pollack had in Dallas if he saw someone he liked that they cut. Other than that, we roll with what we have.

Are you another Lord Pollack fan that believes that Pollack is also a GM and gets everything he wants? The head coach has trouble getting what he wants here. I’m sure that king Pollack will get anything he ask for though, being a line coach and all. His miracle work with the 2 young tackles hasn’t happened yet. I’m still waiting on that prediction that many on here stated. It’s the weirdest love affair with a coach that I’ve ever seen.
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2018, 12:44 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Bringing in a number of free agents that are actually upgrades, which is unusual for us (Preston Brown, Cordy Glenn, Chris Baker), younger guys looking like they'll get their chance soon when Marvin usually prefers to let vets play, and the number of new coaches when Mike Brown typically is known for being loyal to the point of death being the only reason for a coach's firing.

Any other questions?

I think the changes made were once again done by pulling Mikey into the new NFL kicking and screaming. Glenn was a trade not a free agent but still an upgrade. Failing to fix the right side of the OL is a better example of showing how we are not 'all in' to win. Mikey remains in the 'good enough if we are competitive' mode of operating. 

The changes this year is some players and coaches was welcome but not nearly enough.
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote