Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Will any coaches get fired before the season ends?
You can't fire Turner because of the scrubs he was given to work with.

The defense is where I think we actually have some talent that is underperforming.  D-line has talent but does not look motivated.  DBs have a lot of talent but look lost.  Even though the LBs don't have great speed I think a lot of their problems stem from looking "lost" also.  Maybe they are not being given the proper keys or are lined up out of position.
Reply/Quote
(10-15-2019, 12:16 PM)fredtoast Wrote: You can't fire Turner because of the scrubs he was given to work with.

As much as I truly believe that Turner is part of the problem, fred makes an excellent point.

Now, had Jonah Williams and Cordy Glenn not been injured, and the results were the same? We might have a stronger case for axing Turner.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(10-15-2019, 12:16 PM)fredtoast Wrote: You can't fire Turner because of the scrubs he was given to work with.

The defense is where I think we actually have some talent that is underperforming.  D-line has talent but does not look motivated.  DBs have a lot of talent but look lost.  Even though the LBs don't have great speed I think a lot of their problems stem from looking "lost" also.  Maybe they are not being given the proper keys or are lined up out of position.

I'm having trouble finding...is there any evidence Turner has built great offensive lines prior to coming to Cincinnati to justify he deserves more time?
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote

My case for the defense is that Preston Brown has looked like an adequate LB before in his career. I doubt he just got worse all of the sudden.

Same with Bates, Jackson, Geno, and a lot of guys.
Reply/Quote
(10-15-2019, 10:20 AM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: Lou should be shown the door.

On any other team, maybe, but we’re talking about Cincinnati here. Lou Anarumo, for better or worse, was the nth selection for defensive coordinator after 1 through n-1 declined the job. I’m afraid if the Bengals let him go now that we'll end up with n+1. I don’t even want to think who the next guy on the list might be.
Reply/Quote
(10-15-2019, 01:02 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: On any other team, maybe, but we’re talking about Cincinnati here.  Lou Anarumo, for better or worse, was the nth selection for defensive coordinator after 1 through n-1 declined the job.  I’m afraid if the Bengals let him go now that we'll end up with n+1.  I don’t even want to think who the next guy on the list might be.

I doubt we have anyone on the staff even close to coordinator quality on defense.
Reply/Quote
(10-15-2019, 01:05 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I doubt we have anyone on the staff even close to coordinator quality on defense.

Absolutely true — and tragic. I would only let Lou walk if and only if Cincinnati had an experienced defensive coordinator candidate in mind from outside the organization who would promise to take the job if Lou was let go.
Reply/Quote
(10-15-2019, 12:51 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I'm having trouble finding...is there any evidence Turner has built great offensive lines prior to coming to Cincinnati to justify he deserves more time?

Doesn't matter.  If you saw enough in a guy to hire him you can't fire him without a fair chance.
Reply/Quote
Turner was out of the NFL for a reason.
Reply/Quote
One tricky thing is say the line does actually start pass protecting better, but say the run blocking stays this level of bad...

We'd still need to make wholesale changes I'd imagine because we'd need guys that could block for runs and passes.
Reply/Quote
(10-15-2019, 01:26 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: One tricky thing is say the line does actually start pass protecting better, but say the run blocking stays this level of bad...

We'd still need to make wholesale changes I'd imagine because we'd need guys that could block for runs and passes.

There’s absolutely no doubt Cincinnati’s run blocking is absolutely atrocious and it has been for years. This season just happens to be far worse. Without a solid run game a team can’t control the time of possession, can’t control the clock, and can’t move the chains with regularity.
Reply/Quote
I wonder what Taylor's day looks like. Is he working 24/7? Or going home to his family? You're paid millions, need to hire a 2nd husband for your wife and do your job - or step aside and let someone who can.
Reply/Quote
(10-15-2019, 12:17 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: As much as I truly believe that Turner is part of the problem, fred makes an excellent point.

Now, had Jonah Williams and Cordy Glenn not been injured, and the results were the same?  We might have a stronger case for axing Turner.

Taylor's #1 OL target will likely be available after the season. I won't be surprised if Turner is one and done.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2019, 01:00 AM)Bengal Dude Wrote: Taylor's #1 OL target will likely be available after the season. I won't be surprised if Turner is one and done.

You'd thing...but most of these people are personal friends of Taylor...especially Turner.
Reply/Quote
(10-15-2019, 12:51 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I'm having trouble finding...is there any evidence Turner has built great offensive lines prior to coming to Cincinnati to justify he deserves more time?

He did accomplish one thing. He didn't get Richie Incognito kicked out of the league. He's probably got a regular man-cave dedicated to that very fact. The "I didn't get Richie kicked out of the league cave." 
Now that's something everyone could hang their hat on if there's a hat hook in it.

Obviously the Bengals coaching staff will be given multi year extensions with options to buy the team out and move them to a different city..and blame us fans for not rooting hard enough. I take all the blame since I have yet to paint my face black and orange and stand in the stands pretending they're worth the price of orange or black face paint..or both.  
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
I think it unlikely anyone would be fired before the end of the season.

I would though expect several changes to take place at the end of the year. Zac will have seen what has worked and what hasn't worked. A rookie 35 year old coach was never going to be able to get his staff right first time, doubly so when he was the last Head Coach hired and everyone else had a head start on him. If he's any good though he'll have learnt and will adjust.

Bill Callahan would seem a decent bet to join if he doesn't get the Redskins top job permanently but I'd expect the changes to center around the defense as that side of the ball was particularly late to be assembled.

Given the greater responsibility put upon coaches for scouting, the late hires will have been more disruptive than in other organizations. Expect lots of Hopspin articles before the draft saying how the coaching staff are in a better position for the draft than they were last year.
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2019, 02:29 PM)TJHoushmandzadeh Wrote: I think it unlikely anyone would be fired before the end of the season.

I would though expect several changes to take place at the end of the year. Zac will have seen what has worked and what hasn't worked. A rookie 35 year old coach was never going to be able to get his staff right first time, doubly so when he was the last Head Coach hired and everyone else had a head start on him. If he's any good though he'll have learnt and will adjust.

Bill Callahan would seem a decent bet to join if he doesn't get the Redskins top job permanently but I'd expect the changes to center around the defense as that side of the ball was particularly late to be assembled.

Given the greater responsibility put upon coaches for scouting, the late hires will have been more disruptive than in other organizations. Expect lots of Hopspin articles before the draft saying how the coaching staff are in a better position for the draft than they were last year.

To be honest, I don't expect Lou to be replaced. Yes, our defense has been bad, but aside from 2 games, our defense has played well enough that had the offense actually finished off a couple more drives, we'd be sitting at 4-2. I feel like the issue is more player oriented (i.e. lack of quality players, especially at LB) than coach or scheme oriented.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(10-13-2019, 11:30 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: Doubt it; Defense might be giving up yards but not points Austin was giving up both. I don't see Turner making it last January though.

I think the coaches will all get a 2nd year. Next if the team falls apart again than owners may start to let some coaches go. 
Reply/Quote
I mean.... If we were gonna go 0-For we should have hired Hue...lol
Reply/Quote
I dont think we can really fire anybody at this point. We have to ride it out until next year.
Reply/Quote