Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Will the REAL Bengals please stand up?
(12-06-2021, 09:35 PM)ezekiel23 Wrote: I know it’s frustrating,but,if the Bengals were to go with 0 turnovers and an above average run game the rest of the season,I think they would be undefeated the rest of the way.I think they’re that good.Of course,we all know that’s virtually impossible,especially for the Bengals.

The turnovers have absolutely killed them this year, and Burrow has had more than his share of WTF picks. If those were cleaned up, team would have a minimum of 10 wins right now.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2021, 04:06 AM)Wyche Wrote: Marvin with good coordinators or Marvin with the likes of Zampese and Teryl Austin? Ninja

(cause if it's the latter, I honestly doubt it)

LOL You've got a good point there.

Marvin with good coordinators.

Reply/Quote
(12-07-2021, 10:57 AM)BengalChris Wrote: LOL You've got a good point there.

Marvin with good coordinators.

Marvin drug the franchise kicking and screaming into the 21st century. He's owed a debt of gratitude for that. Those last few years were..... uninspired. IDK who's call it was to promote Zampese, but that was a terrible decision. 

When he had Gruden, Hue, Zim, and even Guenther, this team was pretty darn good. 

Reply/Quote
(12-07-2021, 11:11 AM)WychesWarrior Wrote: Marvin drug the franchise kicking and screaming into the 21st century. He's owed a debt of gratitude for that. Those last few years were..... uninspired. IDK who's call it was to promote Zampese, but that was a terrible decision. 

When he had Gruden, Hue, Zim, and even Guenther, this team was pretty darn good. 

Spot on. From 2011 through 2015 the Bengals were 52-27-1. That’s an impressive record.
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2021, 11:19 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Spot on.  From 2011 through 2015 the Bengals were 52-27-1.  That’s an impressive record.

Especially considering 2011 was supposed to be a horrible year....

Reply/Quote
(12-07-2021, 04:06 AM)Wyche Wrote: Marvin with good coordinators or Marvin with the likes of Zampese and Teryl Austin? Ninja

(cause if it's the latter, I honestly doubt it)

Are you kidding.?

Marvin with $150 million in free agents probably has us in a Super Bowl.

As long as we did not have to play the Steelers on the playoffs. His record against them defies all logic.
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2021, 04:02 AM)Wyche Wrote: Three out of five losses have one thing in common....too many turnovers. One game featured 3 straight INTs, we straight up took 10-14 points off the scoreboard with turnovers Sunday (the stupid Chase play was seven, the terrible end zone INT was at least three), then another turnover gifted the Chargers 7. That's upward of a 21 point swing and I've never seen turnovers blamed on coaches until now....lol. 

I'm talking mindset - "We can do no wrong and today's victory proved that." And then comes next week on who we are supposed to walk(run) all over.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
Bengals are like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're going to get.

OK low hanging fruit, sorry.

But hey its a young team with a young HC. Has a ton of starters just joining team this season as well along with very young playmakers except for Boyd and Mixon. But Burrow, Chase, and Higgins are all in the middle of a learning curve still.

Hard to be consistent at the NFL level with all this going on and poor pass protection on top of that. Turnovers have obviously been an Achilles heel to the team in losses as well, not to mention losing 2/5ths of the O-line starters in last game against a solid Charger team.

This is the nucleus of a very good team and agree with bfine that the next few years the Bengals will be elite if staying the course and the right tweaks are made.

Yet it would be nice to make some playoff noise this year as to announce the Bengals will be a force to reckon with in very near future. But it will be no easy task just to get into playoffs and must earn it on the field.

Oh and rip that monkey off our back.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2021, 11:41 AM)Interceptor Wrote: I'm talking mindset - "We can do no wrong and today's victory proved that." And then comes next week on who we are supposed to walk(run) all over.

I gotcha....yeah, that's been frustrating as hell.

Reply/Quote
(12-07-2021, 11:37 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Are you kidding.?

Marvin with $150 million in free agents probably has us in a Super Bowl.

As long as we did not have to play the Steelers on the playoffs. His record against them defies all logic.

With Ken Zampese and Teryl Austin? I don't think so. I mean, the team improved quite a bit with Bill Lazor. KZ was really bad....and hasn't had an OC job since.

Reply/Quote
(12-07-2021, 11:51 AM)Wyche Wrote: With Ken Zampese and Teryl Austin? I don't think so. I mean, the team improved quite a bit with Bill Lazor. KZ was really bad....and hasn't had an OC job since.

always kinda wonder about the choice in coordinators after 15'    losing hue etc...   was he forced to promote from within? did marvin even have a say
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2021, 01:04 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: always kinda wonder about the choice in coordinators after 15'    losing hue etc...   was he forced to promote from within? did marvin even have a say

I do too Xeno....KZ was a terrible choice, I was really upset over that one. Lazy was how a lot of folks described it. Lazor was at least an improvement, but he was no Don Coryell. Guenther did decent, but that seemed like a bit of a lazy hire as well. Austin was an outsider, but his defense and the personnel just did not mesh whatsoever....kinda like the start with our current DC.

He at least did finally move on from PA. 

Reply/Quote
(12-07-2021, 01:04 PM)XenoMorph Wrote:  was he forced to promote from within? 

I don't know why so many people get caught up on this.  We had lots of coordinators that were hired from other teams (Bob Bratkowski, Leslie Frazier, Jay Gruden, Mike Zimmer, Teryl Austin)
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2021, 01:15 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I don't know why so many people get caught up on this.  We had lots of coordinators that were hired from other teams (Bob Bratkowski, Leslie Frazier, Jay Gruden, Mike Zimmer, Teryl Austin)

You missed the part where he said after '15.

Reply/Quote
(12-06-2021, 07:02 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Schrodinger's cat. 

They're both really good and really bad at the same time. 

Schrodinger's BENGAL.

C'mon man... how can you miss that opportunity?   Wink
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2021, 04:59 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: That's kind of what I was alluding toward, when I said that they just need to stay focused.  If Mixon doesn't drop the ball, we likely push forward for a go ahead score, and maintain the momentum.  If Chase doesn't bobble away that sure TD, things likely still could have turned for the better.

Yup, who knows we still might have got steam rolled ? But it also might have been the catalyst that got us going also ?
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2021, 01:13 PM)Wyche Wrote: I do too Xeno....KZ was a terrible choice, I was really upset over that one. Lazy was how a lot of folks described it. Lazor was at least an improvement, but he was no Don Coryell. Guenther did decent, but that seemed like a bit of a lazy hire as well.

Since Zampese had zero track record as an OC I don't know how anyone could have been too upset with that hire.

If you look around the league lots of teams replace Coordinators with guys who are already on the staff.  There is nothing "lazy" about doing that.

And if Guenthar was a "lazy hire" then please god give us another one.  The 4 years he was here the Bengals had the #5 scoring defense and the #1 pass defense (efficiency rating).
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2021, 01:16 PM)Wyche Wrote: You missed the part where he said after '15.

No I didn't.  We had the same front office so I don't know why they would have suddenly changed the way they had been doing things in '15.
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2021, 01:28 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Since Zampese had zero track record as an OC I don't know how anyone could have been too upset with that hire.

If you look around the league lots of teams replace Coordinators with guys who are already on the staff.  There is nothing "lazy" about doing that.

And if Guenthar was a "lazy hire" then please god give us another one.  The 4 years he was here the Bengals had the #5 scoring defense and the #1 pass defense (efficiency rating).

I didn't like KZ as QB coach, sure as shit didn't want him as OC. He hasn't had an OC gig since.

Nowhere did I rag on Guenther, just pointed out it could be considered a lazy hire like KZ if one was looking to make that argument. PG wasn't as good as Zimmer, but the defense didn't fall off a cliff either.

Refresh my memory, why did he leave? 

Reply/Quote
(12-07-2021, 01:32 PM)Wyche Wrote: Refresh my memory, why did he leave? 

Gruden got the head coaching job with the Raiders and wanted Paul as his DC.
Reply/Quote