Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Will the REAL Bengals please stand up?
(12-07-2021, 01:31 PM)fredtoast Wrote: No I didn't.  We had the same front office so I don't know why they would have suddenly changed the way they had been doing things in '15.

So you just ignored it. After Hue (2015), they promoted KZ, then Bill Lazor. As you noted in a previous post yourself, they had a track record of getting coordinators from outside of the organization prior. They had promoted PG after Zim left, then hired Austin before Marvin took over himself. 

There was a lot of internal promotion during that time period. Technically, Hue was a promotion, although he'd left and came back. Previously, as you mentioned, they had brought in guys from the outside like Brat, Gruden, Frazier, Zimmer, etc.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2021, 01:34 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Gruden got the head coaching job with the Raiders and wanted Paul as his DC.

Gotcha. I remember Gruden gushing over him during a game he announced. I couldn't remember for the life of me why Paul left.

Reply/Quote
(12-07-2021, 01:18 PM)Tomkat Wrote: Schrodinger's BENGAL.

C'mon man... how can you miss that opportunity?   Wink

I'm a caring, giving individual. I like to leave the the door cracked for others to get their shine. Wink

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2021, 01:32 PM)Wyche Wrote:  just pointed out it could be considered a lazy hire like KZ if one was looking to make that argument.

If you want to make the argument that every team in the league makes "lazy hires".

3 of the top 4 offenses in the league (Colts, Cowboys, Patriots) have OCs that those teams originally promoted from within.
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2021, 04:08 AM)Wyche Wrote: The turnovers have absolutely killed them this year, and Burrow has had more than his share of WTF picks. If those were cleaned up, team would have a minimum of 10 wins right now.

Tiger

The root cause is protection because some of his best attributes is ball placement and decision making. I'm not saying that all of the picks are a result of poor protection but most are. Everyone has an opinion and I respect that but the play upfront in my opinion is what's holding this team back from its potential. Joe Burrow is a superstar talent even as it sits now in really year one. If hes not in the lineup then you'd have a minimum of 10 losses right now.
Reply/Quote
Ok standing up...,

[Image: 161770701-gold-bengal-cat-standing-reari...ground.jpg]
[Image: 4540978331_3e8fe35323.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2021, 02:20 PM)Emeritus Wrote: I'm not saying that all of the picks are a result of poor protection but most are.

I have not seen the numbers recently, but when he got sacked 10 times in the first 2 games he had at least 3 seconds to throw the ball every single time.

But I don't know how much that is going to change.  Russell Wilson and Ben Roethlisberger are going to the Hall of Fame, and they both tokk a lot of sacks because they held onto the ball too long.

(12-07-2021, 02:20 PM)Emeritus Wrote:  Joe Burrow is a superstar talent even as it sits now in really year one.

This may sound like splitting hairs, but he is not a "Superstar".  He is a very good QB and I am thrilled to have him, but to this point he may be a "star" but he is no "superstar".  He is 9th in QB rating.  Andy Dalton was 13th in his second season.  Not really a huge difference.  But I believe Burrow has a much bigger upside than Dalton.  That is why Joe was taken first overall while Andy was a second rounder.
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2021, 01:52 PM)fredtoast Wrote: If you want to make the argument that every team in the league makes "lazy hires".

3 of the top 4 offenses in the league (Colts, Cowboys, Patriots) have OCs that those teams originally promoted from within.

Point taken....

Reply/Quote
(12-07-2021, 02:20 PM)Emeritus Wrote: Tiger

The root cause is protection because some of his best attributes is ball placement and decision making. I'm not saying that all of the picks are a result of poor protection but most are. Everyone has an opinion and I respect that but the play upfront in my opinion is what's holding this team back from its potential. Joe Burrow is a superstar talent even as it sits now in really year one. If hes not in the lineup then you'd have a minimum of 10 losses right now.

I'd absolutely agree with that last sentence. I'm not shitting on Joe at all, just pointing out that he's laid a couple eggs this year. I'd also agree about the play up front holding us back, but at the same time, it's gotten to the point that it isn't absolutely killing us like it has since 2016 either. I guess the Bears game was his worst performance, he was just really bad for a stretch there, but then comes right back and tosses two TDs. Hey, it happens to the best of em.

Reply/Quote
(12-06-2021, 04:38 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Roll up 41 on the hated rivals one week, bungle their way to allowing 41 at home the next.

This team could be really good, but they just need to remain focused.

You said the 'B' word!  I thought saying that word was punishable in the Code of Conduct??
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2021, 07:29 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: You said the 'B' word!  I thought saying that word was punishable in the Code of Conduct??

You can use it as a verb, just not as a proper noun.  
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2021, 07:36 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: You can use it as a verb, just not as a proper noun.  

So I wonder if the members got scolded in the Chargers game day thread for using it in 20+ posts?  Wink
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2021, 07:36 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: You can use it as a verb, just not as a proper noun.  

Not to mention 20+ times in the Browns game day thread.
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2021, 07:42 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: So I wonder if the members got scolded in the Chargers game day thread for using it in 20+ posts?  Wink

Mine is but a mere suggestion and not legally binding.

I won't use that word because it was the parlance of that idiot Stealer announcer Myron Cope, who looked like a weasel and sounded like a shrill Grandpa Munster.  No true Bengal fan would ever use that term, to my way of thinking.  Others clearly disagree.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2021, 04:38 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Roll up 41 on the hated rivals one week, bungle their way to allowing 41 at home the next.

This team could be really good, but they just need to remain focused.

It was a weird ass game and as Charles Davis said, we weren't ready early at all. We came back which was crazy after being 
down 24-0 but damn, there were so many head scratchers in this game. The Chase int, which was all on Chase, the hurt players,
Wilson, Burrow, Awuzie etc.

I have no idea what team will show up, all I know is I don't want to see us going for 2 being down 24-0 ever again...

I don't know WTF was going on in Taylor's head there. Mellow
Reply/Quote
It’s possible this jekyll and Hyde team may be so inconsistent and turnover prone in part due to the youth and inexperience.Head coach in his third year,and Quarterback in his second year.The mistakes,turnovers,are killing us.
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2021, 09:54 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: It was a weird ass game and as Charles Davis said, we weren't ready early at all. We came back which was crazy after being 
down 24-0 but damn, there were so many head scratchers in this game. The Chase int, which was all on Chase, the hurt players,
Wilson, Burrow, Awuzie etc.

I have no idea what team will show up, all I know is I don't want to see us going for 2 being down 24-0 ever again...

I don't know WTF was going on in Taylor's head there. Mellow

Three scores of 8=24 points. But that's a tough row to hoe.

Reply/Quote
(12-07-2021, 01:38 PM)Wyche Wrote: Gotcha. I remember Gruden gushing over him during a game he announced. I couldn't remember for the life of me why Paul left.

If I remember correctly Zimmer wanted him for the Vikings DC immediately after being hired but seems MB had already had discussions with PG and locked him down as Bengals DC before anything could transpire with Vikings.  

But then oddly PG left to join Gruden a few years later. 

Maybe Im remembering wrong though ?

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2021, 05:12 AM)Wyche Wrote: Three scores of 8=24 points. But that's a tough row to hoe.

Yeah, you aren't going to convert 3 two point conversions in a game, just isn't happening. I still don't understand it AND it threw
off McPherson evidently and cost us a timeout. This had me shaking my head, amazing we came back, if we can eliminate the 
mistakes this team is good enough to beat anybody but we cannot put ourselves in bad positions like that.
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2021, 10:00 PM)Go Cards Wrote: If I remember correctly Zimmer wanted him for the Vikings DC immediately after being hired but seems PB had already had discussions with PG and locked him down as Bengals DC before anything could transpire with Vikings.  

But then oddly PG left to join Gruden a few years later. 

Maybe Im remembering wrong though ?

No, pretty sure you have it exactly right.

Reply/Quote