Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Will we regret Trae Waynes?
(04-01-2020, 08:43 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Waynes is similar to Kirk in the way he interacts with Bengal fans.  His main problem that I am aware is double-moves by WR. Like all cb, he will get burned on a play or two.  But the one aspect I like about Waynes is his tackling.  He plays the run very well.

With that said, I like Alexander better as a schematic fit for the Bengals.

(04-01-2020, 08:49 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: According to some Viking fans, Alexander was their best Corner. Could be the steal of this FA besides Vonn Bell.

We can extend Alexander later. I think he will be great for us honestly and he can stay healthy unlike Dennard.

I like what the FO has been doing, thus far. He's definitely a good tackler. Ts, I watched a Vikings game last season where he was getting blistered after releiving Rhodes ( I think it was Rhodes?) ,who got injured. I can't remember who they were playing?

I like his youth, and hopefully he will get a little better in coverage. I do like that they signed both CBs from a good defense. Time will tell?
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2020, 10:10 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: I like what the FO has been doing, thus far. He's definitely a good tackler. Ts, I watched a Vikings game last season where he was getting blistered after releiving Rhodes ( I think it was Rhodes?) ,who got injured. I can't remember who they were playing?

I like his youth, and hopefully he will get a little better in coverage. I do like that they signed both CBs from a good defense. Time will tell?

Rhodes was getting blistered quite a bit last year himself.

Usually Alexander is playing in the Slot so if he was moved out to the boundary that could of been a reason as would be the 
QB and WR he was having to play against.
Reply/Quote
If that’s our worst contract we did pretty well. CB is a premium position. You don’t get “deals” on them in FA. Especially not one who’s only 27.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(04-01-2020, 10:24 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Rhodes was getting blistered quite a bit last year himself.

Usually Alexander is playing in the Slot so if he was moved out to the boundary that could of been a reason as would be the 
QB and WR he was having to play against.

I should have quoted it differently. It was actually Wayne's that gave up two quick TDs. I think it may have been the Saints? Rhodes went down and he got moved over to cover Thomas. It may have been Green Bay and Adams, can't remember without looking it up.

The first TD really wasn't all his fault, as the other team was already close to the redzone. They went after him immediately, and he got beat. He gave up another one later. I still like his upside though, and think he should be better than Dre K. Hell, he's probably already better than Dre.
Reply/Quote
While I’m as excited about this free agency period as most of you, this is the signing I liked least. Not do much the player bug the contract. Just like when they extended Dre, I think this is an overpay. If I’m not mistaken, didn’t Waynes have trouble beating out Terrance Newman?

All things being equal, I would have rather signed James bradberry for his deal.

I hope the lightbulb came on and we’re getting him as he’s hitting stride

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
WhoDey2 What's that old saying again? Opinions are like...Oh yeah, now I remember Nervous
The only thing I hate worse than Pittsburgh football...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

SLIM--gone, but never forgotten...

Original Bengals message boards
Rep Points: 4726

Reply/Quote
(04-01-2020, 08:34 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Trae Waynes is better than what the Bengals had. That’s an upgrade in my definition.

This. He doesn’t hVd the best tape but he’s still young enough and hopefully continues to improve. I do recall him getting beat quite often in the playoffs though. Still think he’s an upgrade
Reply/Quote
We had plenty of cap room and we didn't have a lot of internal FAs that were crucial to bring back. With a rookie QB deal coming into fold, it allows the team to hand out deals like this. Did we overpay Waynes? Probably. He's a lot like Dre K when it comes to ball skills. He's not going to generate turnovers. However, where Waynes and Dre differ is that Waynes will actually tackle and try to defend the run. That was the theme of our FAs. Bell, Reader, Bynes, and Waynes have better run defense grades than the guys they're replacing.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
I'm okay with the Browns spending a lot of money on a free agent rather than using that money on non-roster stuff. Spend every year, manage the salary cap, and keep having the ability to bring in free agents.
Reply/Quote
Wayne's is a good player who will improve our secondary big time. When teams are bad they have to overspend for FA. When teams have QB under rookie contracts they cad easily afford to pay players like Waynes.
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2020, 07:26 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: How can you regret a 3 year contract?

Exactly.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
i havnt actually seen this guy play since i pay no attention to the Vikings. but i was reading somewhere he is better at man coverage than zone and the Vikings run a zone scheme. so maybe he will look better in our scheme. we shall see.
Child please, kiss the baby.
Reply/Quote
(04-02-2020, 04:44 AM)Attackcat Wrote: i havnt actually seen this guy play since i pay no attention to the Vikings. but i was reading somewhere he is better at man coverage than zone and the Vikings run a zone scheme. so maybe he will look better in our scheme. we shall see.

Well that sounds like WJIII.... I guess we aren't running much zone.
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2020, 07:35 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: When you compare Waynes' contract to the other contracts on that list, you really begin to question why he is even on there.

Because the beat writers are struggling to find something to criticize the Bengals over this FA...
Reply/Quote
I have read comments on here saying the Bengals have to realize they need to overpay to get players here. When we do people question the move. This may be an example of that and I am fine with it. Especially if it helped bring another Viking player along. You have to make Cincinnati a desirable place for free agents. Hopefully this is a step in that direction.
Reply/Quote
Alex Chippin from Microsoft News says that huh? Never heard of him. Yawn. Sounds like we need to worry lol Rolleyes
Reply/Quote
(04-02-2020, 12:31 AM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: This.  He doesn’t hVd the best tape but he’s still young enough and hopefully continues to improve.  I do recall him getting beat quite often in the playoffs though.  Still think he’s an upgrade

There's something else at play here:  Lou Anarumo has a "vision" for the defense and he needs his type players to make it happen in reality.  Lou's type player isn't necessarily the same as a player who came to Cincinnati under Marvin Lewis, Paul Guenther, Mike Zimmer, or even Teryl Austin.  Some players are good enough and versatile enough to play on any defense -- Geno Atkins, Von Bell, Sam Hubbard, DJ Reader, maybe Carlos Dunlap -- and Lou will build around these players along with someone who I personally believe will be a star in this league:

Germaine Pratt.
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2020, 08:30 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: It is front loaded but they needed a boundary Corner to replace Kirkpatrick and Waynes is younger and a good one.

He can get better in coverage here no problem, way better tackler and the contract is good in that if he sucks we can cut him and 
save millions in a couple years. I like it myself, good player that allows us to unload Kirkpatrick's salary and tackling issues.

Completely agree.  It was almost a wash for Dre's contract and it is obvious that the Bengals wanted a significant upgrade in their outside tackling.  They didn't just go to average on that measure, they went to near the top of the CB class.  And while facing the likes of Lamar Jackson and (can anyone else see the steelers drafted Jordan Love, putting him on the "juice" and trying to make him the next Mahommes?) Mayfield?  

It seems odd, also, that for the "overpayment" of Waynes, they absolutely stole Alexander in the slot CB position...a position that I think is even harder to fill than the outside CB.  
Reply/Quote
Waynes is still on his way up. He is only 27. The potential is there for him to live up to that contract. I have no doubt that he is going to bust his ass. His physical ability is elite and he has played a lot of good football in the NFL already. Perfect type of guy to spend big on.
Reply/Quote
There is no cap rolling this year.  You CANNOT ROLL CAP this year.  This FA haul had some really good players.  No apologies.  Even if they underwhelm, hats off to the ownership for going out and getting good players who can play the game of football at a high level.  They made some good moves.  You have to pay market prices if you want good FAs on your roster.
Reply/Quote