Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Will we regret Trae Waynes?
I'm not going to complain about the Bengals overpaying for once, when they've failed to be competitive in free agency for well...since free agency started. Ultimately, it's pretty obvious we overpaid a bit, but I'd rather look at the bright side. Which is the fact that they've shown a clear vision this off-season as far as the type of players they've signed.

We finished rock bottom in rush defense last year. We got absolutely gashed. They addressed that by signing an absolute monster in the middle, and solid tacklers in the secondary. Waynes is a big part of that. If we needed to overpay, so be it. I'd rather overpay one guy and not watch opposing RB's shrug off pathetic arm tackles on their way to 50 yard gains.

Also, it's not like Waynes is bad in coverage. I'd say he's a plus in that category. That's not why we signed him though.

...and from what I've heard, the structure of the contract isn't so bad, so if all-else fails, maybe we cut him down the road. 3 years isn't a huge commitment anyway. I'm glad we went for it, for a change. Drastic problems require drastic measures.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2020, 08:06 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I'm not going to complain about the Bengals overpaying for once, when they've failed to be competitive in free agency for well...since free agency started. Ultimately, it's pretty obvious we overpaid a bit, but I'd rather look at the bright side. Which is the fact that they've shown a clear vision this off-season as far as the type of players they've signed.

We finished rock bottom in rush defense last year. We got absolutely gashed. They addressed that by signing an absolute monster in the middle, and solid tacklers in the secondary. Waynes is a big part of that. If we needed to overpay, so be it. I'd rather overpay one guy and not watch opposing RB's shrug off pathetic arm tackles on their way to 50 yard gains.

Also, it's not like Waynes is bad in coverage. I'd say he's a plus in that category. That's not why we signed him though.

...and from what I've heard, the structure of the contract isn't so bad, so if all-else fails, maybe we cut him down the road. 3 years isn't a huge commitment anyway. I'm glad we went for it, for a change. Drastic problems require drastic measures.

Nice post Shake, feel the same.

Rather overpay for proven players than rely on the Draft solely. And Waynes is young so it is possible for him to improve.

With Dre, doubt it highly.
Reply/Quote
I keep seeing people say Dre Kirkpatrick and Trae Waynes are the same in coverage it's not true.

Dre didnt give up big plays but allowed short completions for more yards because he didnt have the explosiveness to limit YAC and didnt tackle well. Trae Waynes squeezes windows better which you see by his third down numbers but gives up the big plays. Wayne's get caught with his eyes in the backfield on play action and will jump double moves.

So while their PFF rating in coverage is similar they earn that grade different ways.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2020, 08:10 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Nice post Shake, feel the same.

Rather overpay for proven players than rely on the Draft solely. And Waynes is young so it is possible for him to improve.

With Dre, doubt it highly.

I agree. Dre didn't give the organization all he had and they rewarded him for it. Once a person gets in that mindset, the only thing that brings out the most potential in both parties is separation. 

Reply/Quote
(04-06-2020, 08:18 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: I agree. Dre didn't give the organization all he had and they rewarded him for it. Once a person gets in that mindset, the only thing that brings out the most potential in both parties is separation. 

Yes, good job to move on, it was time.

Like the sig BTW.  Cheers
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2020, 08:14 PM)Synric Wrote: I keep seeing people say Dre Kirkpatrick and Trae Waynes are the same in coverage it's not true.

Dre didnt give up big plays but allowed short completions for more yards because he didnt have the explosiveness to limit YAC and didnt tackle well. Trae Waynes squeezes windows better which you see by his third down numbers but gives up the big plays. Wayne's get caught with his eyes in the backfield on play action and will jump double moves.

So while their PFF rating in coverage is similar they earn that grade different ways.

If by big plays you mean TDs. Then Trae is just as good.

Trae gave up 5 TDs last year. In half the snaps, Dre gave up 3.

And Vikings fans are talking up about signing Dre. Lol
Reply/Quote
I just hope all these guys stay healthy and do somewhat decent or else mike brown will never make another free agent signing again.
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2020, 12:06 AM)Kingslayer Wrote: Probably. Could have kept Dennard a lot cheaper and got about the same output but what the hell? Mikey is spending now.

He needs another 2 decades to get used to that method
I'm not picking on you, just quoted your post. After reading everybody's posts, do we really think MB changed his way of doing things over night because of a new HC and a franchise QB??

OR

Did Zac hear what Joe Burrow was saying along with his plan to upgrade the roster and go to Katie & hubby and say "I'm going to need your help on this". Katie & hubby finally talked MB into it...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
The only thing I hate worse than Pittsburgh football...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

SLIM--gone, but never forgotten...

Original Bengals message boards
Rep Points: 4726

Reply/Quote
(04-09-2020, 09:14 PM)JSR18 Wrote: I'm not picking on you, just quoted your post. After reading everybody's posts, do we really think MB changed his way of doing things over night because of a new HC and a franchise QB??

OR

Did Zac hear what Joe Burrow was saying along with his plan to upgrade the roster and go to Katie & hubby and say "I'm going to need your help on this". Katie &  hubby finally talked MB into it...

Well something had to happen and I think you are on to it bro.

This Free Agency was epic for us. Never seen anything like this. Just like Burrow and LSU's season last year.
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2020, 09:14 PM)JSR18 Wrote: I'm not picking on you, just quoted your post. After reading everybody's posts, do we really think MB changed his way of doing things over night because of a new HC and a franchise QB??

OR

Did Zac hear what Joe Burrow was saying along with his plan to upgrade the roster and go to Katie & hubby and say "I'm going to need your help on this". Katie &  hubby finally talked MB into it...

I really don't care how they came to the idea that utilizing all of the tools available came to happen.  What I do know; is that a family business worth 2B needs to produce to stay afloat.  It certainly looks like they are taking steps necessary to get people back into the stadium, and purchasing merchandise.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2020, 10:30 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I really don't care how they came to the idea that utilizing all of the tools available came to happen.  What I do know; is that a family business worth 2B needs to produce to stay afloat.  It certainly looks like they are taking steps necessary to get people back into the stadium, and purchasing merchandise.

Damn rights and Trae Waynes > Dre Kirkpatrick

Healthy Mackenzie Alexander > hurt Dennard

Dennard is good when he is healthy but I wouldn't call him our best Corner like lots of Vikings fans were saying Alexander was.
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2020, 10:39 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Damn rights and Trae Waynes > Dre Kirkpatrick

Healthy Mackenzie Alexander > hurt Dennard

Dennard is good when he is healthy but I wouldn't call him our best Corner like lots of Vikings fans were saying Alexander was.

Also..

Reader >>> Billings
Bynes >> Vigil
Sua-Filo >> Price

This free agent class has improved the team in a multitude of areas.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2020, 10:30 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I really don't care how they came to the idea that utilizing all of the tools available came to happen.  What I do know; is that a family business worth 2B needs to produce to stay afloat.  It certainly looks like they are taking steps necessary to get people back into the stadium, and purchasing merchandise.
WhoDey2 Joe Burrow's jersey will be in the top 3 sellers if not #1... 
The only thing I hate worse than Pittsburgh football...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

SLIM--gone, but never forgotten...

Original Bengals message boards
Rep Points: 4726

Reply/Quote
I haven't read through all this stuff but in general I will simply say, no we will not regret this signing.

Reasons:

1) Hey, we were active in FA for once and didn't dumpster dive. This guy was a higher ranked FA, and I'm glad to see them actually doing something.
2) He is a younger corner and honestly, he will probably be one of the better corners on the team. CB is a premium spot in the NFL anymore when it comes to $$$, so long term I don't think this will be an over-pay.
3) He tackles. Let me repeat this cause it should be #1, this guy will tackle and get in there and hit someone, not just pile jump.
4) It sends a message through the team....you don't perform (Dre, Glenn) we will replace you. That vibe hasn't been here before, guys felt safe because we always honored the entire contract. Now, it is different, perform or be gone. I like it.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(04-10-2020, 12:26 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: 4) It sends a message through the team....you don't perform (Dre, Glenn) we will replace you. That vibe hasn't been here before, guys felt safe because we always honored the entire contract. Now, it is different, perform or be gone. I like it.

George Iloka disagrees.
Reply/Quote
(04-10-2020, 10:18 AM)fredtoast Wrote: George Iloka disagrees.

And wasn't Glenn our best lineman when he played last year? I know it's a case of which turd smells the best, but still.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(04-10-2020, 10:30 AM)jason Wrote: And wasn't Glenn our best lineman when he played last year? I know it's a case of which turd smells the best, but still.

I think with Glenn, they just said go be an asshole somewhere else.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(04-10-2020, 12:58 PM)McC Wrote: I think with Glenn, they just said go be an asshole somewhere else.

[Image: no_assholes_big.jpg?resize=320%2C320]

Reply/Quote
(04-10-2020, 10:30 AM)jason Wrote: And wasn't Glenn our best lineman when he played last year? I know it's a case of which turd smells the best, but still.

Glenn didn't really have much support in the locker room. Usually players have disputes with coaches and the FO, but the players remain united. Glenn was on his own island. It was noted that he wouldn't even use the bathroom in the locker room. He would go into the entrance tunnel and use the bathroom there. He didn't want to walk through the locker room and deal with the stares from the other players.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(04-11-2020, 01:55 AM)Bengal Dude Wrote: Glenn didn't really have much support in the locker room. Usually players have disputes with coaches and the FO, but the players remain united. Glenn was on his own island. It was noted that he wouldn't even use the bathroom in the locker room. He would go into the entrance tunnel and use the bathroom there. He didn't want to walk through the locker room and deal with the stares from the other players.

Damn...

Good riddance.

Reply/Quote