Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Will you resent Burrow...?
(02-01-2023, 01:21 PM)Housh Wrote: No

We’ve been so inept at drafting lineman that he’s been sacked 92 times in 2 years

That’s an absurd and almost disrespect number when you have the league best QB.

Honestly if i were his agent I’d ask for 10 mill more than whatever we offer as a “your welcome” for getting his ass beat so much his first 3 years

People have to stop with this. Mahomes is still #1. I do think Burrow passed Allen for #2 this season, but there’s no legitimate case to be made for 1 yet.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(02-01-2023, 01:21 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Every other player at every other position looks to maximize their contracts, why should we hold it against the QB for doing so? He just happens to play the most important (and highest paid) position.

i dont hold it against the players...  its their choice what to take.    Im just saying if we throw big bucks are burrow and start to move backwards... then we did poorly.

But its not about any 1 player.   its a team game.
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2023, 12:03 PM)Tomkat Wrote: If he doesn't take a "team-friendly" deal, when the time comes for a contract-extension?
If he ends up handcuffing the team due to demanding a huge contract, thereby hampering their ability to keep/sign crucial talent around him...
will you end up resenting him?

The Steelers were able to keep Roethelisberger for his entire career.
The Chiefs have been able to maintain a high-level with Mahomes now in his 5th (6th?) season.

Can the Bengals do the same?
Will Burrow allow them to?

Will I resent Joe Burrow for expecting to be compensated commensurate with his abilities?  Hell naw.

Why would anyone want to sew seeds of doubt by alluding to the idea that Joe may want to be paid like his contemporaries??

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Quite honestly, it's going to be on the front office to make sure this gets done the right way.

You can offer him 10 years $550 million and it won't be an issue if you structure it the right way:

1. Sigining bonus spread over the contract
2. Escalating base salaries over the life of the contract.

If you do that, the contract will be a great deal for everyone. The really need to be smart with the cap space for this offseason. That needs to be used to offset hits for other guys we need to sign.
Reply/Quote
I've worked in nonprofits my entire life (high schools, colleges, charities, and other NGOs) and have always taken an organization-friendly deal. In fact, I voluntarily lowered my salary with one nonprofit for years in order to help its financial stability. I've never, ever sought the highest salary, even though I have Ph.D. and could command more money. And even though I've had to work multiple jobs to make ends meet, and always lived paycheck to paycheck, I've never once felt bad about the course I've chosen. My wife has the same attitude, so it works.

I wouldn't resent Burrow taking all that he can get. I wouldn't be happy to see the team suffer, but I've never resented other people making more money than me. But, if Burrow looks at it holistically, taking a team-friendly deal could very well be in his best interests. Would he rather have a good team or handicap his team? QBs can make a lot of extra money outside of their sport. You think Mahomes or LeBron are limited to their income from their teams? Of course, not.

I think Burrow would be silly to handicap the team. He most likely would get more enjoyment allowing the team as a whole to prosper, which also raises his profile. And he can make all the extra income he wants by endorsement deals. Particularly if the team he is piloting is successful.
Reply/Quote
Young nfl players don't take team friendly deals.
Reply/Quote
Considering his career can end at any moment.

No I wouldn't
Reply/Quote
Joe should get the contract he finds acceptable.

I would like to see him do something like he gets x% of cap and that no one will be paid more than him.

We are not going to be able to re sign all of our guys and upgrade o line and get an edge rusher if he re sets market. But that is his call and the Bengals call.

Whatever - we have to keep Joe.
Reply/Quote
As much as we at times like to try and pretend that it isn't, this is a business. Joe has to make the best business decision for Joe, and the Blackburns will be looking out for their best interests. Lord knows they try to squeeze every dollar they can out of the business, so I have zero issue with any player trying to do the same.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
if you want a great qb, paying the man is what you have to do
Reply/Quote
Not at all, he should get his.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
The only way I resent Burrow is if he turns into a diva like Rodgers
Reply/Quote
Why does everyone automatically assume "team friendly" means being underpaid? What "team friendly" simply means is structuring the contract so that it does not put the team into a bad salary cap position where it causes a mass loss of talent. This can take a lot of forms such as:

1) Putting a lot of monies into creatively worded bonuses that pay out at different times. This gives Burrow his $$$ while giving the team more control over the cap hit.

2) Guaranteeing parts of the contract at different times, which lessens the problem of the league funding rule.

3) Front or back loading the deal depending on which is better for cap management.

If you want to look at team UNFRIENDLY deals, I give you Deshaun Watson and his cap hit this upcoming season of 55 million dollars. Mahomes also has a high hit of 47 million dollars but his contract structure gives the Chiefs SOME leeway in renegotiation if it comes to it - remember they dealt Tyreek Hill because of this cap hit and you may see others leave as the years progress. Still and all a much superior deal in team terms to what Watson got.
Reply/Quote
Man had his knee shredded because the team had a bunch of garbage men on the O-line. Then two straight trips to the AFC Championship, winning one, and still playing with a questionable O-line. He has more than earned his money.
Like a teenage girl driving a Ferrari. 
Reply/Quote
If the team wants a player, they gotta pay that player appropriately.
You're looking for a top end player at a premium position, so you need to be willing to pay accordingly.
It's up to the team to figure out how to deal with contracts for the other positions if they are going to have a player with a big cost on the books.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Not in the least. I don't begrudge any player for getting what they can get. That said, I think he wants to win, and is smart enough to allow the team to structure his deal so he can keep talent around him.
Reply/Quote
Not for one second would I resent Burrow for negotiating the best possible deal for him and his family.

I would resent the Bengals organization if they can't navigate the Burrow contract without hamstringing the rest of the roster.

It's all about cap management, and an influx of CASH for all the guaranteed money they need to put in escrow for the upcoming contracts.
Reply/Quote
Nope. It's a business and we're talking about generations of these players' livelihood. I could never fault a player for taking everything they can get.

Just ask Damar Hamlin, Ryan Shazier, Dennis Byrd, David Pollack, Kenny Irons. This could probably be a very long list.
Reply/Quote
Burrow should try to get whatever it is he wants and feels he's entitled to.  The idea that Burrow couldn't win it all even while getting top tier QB money is speculative, anyways.  But Burrow is going to get what he wants, because if things go sour with him ain't nobody siding with the Bengals this time.
Reply/Quote
Pay the Man!!

[Image: maxresdefault.jpg]
[Image: 4540978331_3e8fe35323.jpg]
Reply/Quote