Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Will you resent Burrow...?
Oh crap, what if Burrow has enough swagger and confidence to think "I could take up 75% of the cap and still win the SB!"
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2023, 12:03 PM)Tomkat Wrote: If he doesn't take a "team-friendly" deal, when the time comes for a contract-extension?
If he ends up handcuffing the team due to demanding a huge contract, thereby hampering their ability to keep/sign crucial talent around him...
will you end up resenting him?

The Steelers were able to keep Roethelisberger for his entire career.
The Chiefs have been able to maintain a high-level with Mahomes now in his 5th (6th?) season.

Can the Bengals do the same?
Will Burrow allow them to?

Mahomes gave his team an extrremely friendly deal.

Reply/Quote
Sorry, I don’t think I can resent the guy who gave me the first taste of post season success with my favorite team. I was in diapers last time they won a playoff game before Joe.
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2023, 01:33 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Quite honestly, it's going to be on the front office to make sure this gets done the right way.

You can offer him 10 years $550 million and it won't be an issue if you structure it the right way:

1.  Sigining bonus spread over the contract
2.  Escalating base salaries over the life of the contract.

If you do that, the contract will be a great deal for everyone.  The really need to be smart with the cap space for this offseason.  That needs to be used to offset hits for other guys we need to sign.

This without a doubt^, except the bonuses would have to be roster bonuses to avoid the required escrow and then convert them to signing bonuses when the time came for each.

This would require the player to trust the team as roster bonuses are not guaranteed.  

Reply/Quote
Guaranteed money is the name of the game for QBs these days, isn't it? Mike Brown's great great great great granddaughter had better clue him in on this, too.
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2023, 04:18 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Guaranteed money is the name of the game for QBs these days, isn't it?  Mike Brown's great great great great granddaughter had better clue him in on this, too.

They know this. Again look at the NFL Funding Rule - if you want to know why a lot of franchises are fighting full guarantees this is the reason. Basically you have to put the entire guarantee amount in cash into an escrow account at the beginning of the contract. Not a lot of franchises can just casually drop 250 + million at a single stroke like that. 

Really if the NFL wants all contracts guaranteed then they have to drop or drastically modify the funding rule. 
Reply/Quote
Uhhhh no
Reply/Quote
Resent? Of course not. But I'll be surprised and disappointed because I misread him.

I think he's a player who wants to win championships more than he wants an extra $100 million in his bank account sooner rather than later. He knows the value of quality guys on his team and he's enough of a team player to know that he can't expect them to take less than their worth so that he can milk the every dime from the team while eliminating all his risk.

I would hope that he will take something loaded with incentives and rolling guarantees. Give him a giant bonus and void years if he wins a SB.
Reply/Quote
The only things I resent right now are travis kelce and the kansas city chiefs. They are fast approaching steeler levels of arrogance
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2023, 03:24 PM)Destro Wrote: Man had his knee shredded because the team had a bunch of garbage men on the O-line. Then two straight trips to the AFC Championship, winning one, and still playing with a questionable O-line. He has more than earned his money.

The problem is if Burrow demands too much money the team wont have enough to put in other areas like getting Burrow a nice O-line and he could have his knee shredded again.  I dont blame anyone for getting as much as they can but at some point it becomes detrimental to both the team and player. 

Look at Tom Brady, he never went after the max he could get and he was the best of them all.  He was still paid top tier but he also made sure the team had enough money they could get talent around him to succeed.  Its ultimately up to Burrow to determine how much he wants but I would hope he takes a cue from Brady.
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2023, 07:25 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: The problem is if Burrow demands too much money the team wont have enough to put in other areas like getting Burrow a nice O-line and he could have his knee shredded again.  I dont blame anyone for getting as much as they can but at some point it becomes detrimental to both the team and player. 

Look at Tom Brady, he never went after the max he could get and he was the best of them all.  He was still paid top tier but he also made sure the team had enough money they could get talent around him to succeed.  Its ultimately up to Burrow to determine how much he wants but I would hope he takes a cue from Brady.

Burrow can play for $15 an hour for what it's worth, but that's no guarantee he'll get a good o-line for his sacrifice.  When we extended Dalton he took an average of $16 million per year, so this franchise hasn't had a high priced QB eating up cap space since Palmer was here 12+ years ago.  I don't think Dalton's pay per year cracked the top 20 as far as QBs go, and Burrow is on his rookie deal...shouldn't our o-line be elite by now?

I get the idea that giving Burrow $60+ million per year will leave less money to go around, but expecting Burrow to believe a team-friendly contract will lead to a good o-line when Dalton took a team friendly deal and then spent years getting driven into the turf may be a tough sell.

tl;dr - we haven't paid a QB top-tier money in over a decade and our o-line is still a QB killing liability.
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2023, 01:01 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: If he breaks the bank and we start going backwards in terms of wins... Then ill have a major issue with it.

Personally dont care about players making the most possible in a team sport.

I think Joe will find a way to make his payday and still make it team friendly.   Mahomes could have structured his contract to completely hamstring the Chiefs and he did not.  Financial people such as Andrew Brandt (who was both a player agent and former Vice President of the Green Bay Packers) railed on what a bad contract it was for him.

I definitely can see Joe doing this.   He's not going to be stupid and end up shorting himself and the next two generations of Burrows, but he'll work to figure out how to keep a winning program in Cincinnati.  He's that kind of guy. 
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2023, 07:17 PM)Browns Town Bengal Wrote: The only things I resent right now are travis kelce and the kansas city chiefs.  They are fast approaching steeler levels of arrogance

Is it arrogance by the Chiefs when in the last 5 years they've hosted 5 straight AFC Championship games, gone to 3 SBs and won 1 (potentially 2)?

That's more well-earned confidence.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
How he has turned this franchise around, anyone who resents him is not someone I would piss on if they were on fire.

Burrow will be a Bengal the rest of his career; I truly feel 100 percent confidence in saying that.

[Image: UahsiIk.jpeg]
Reply/Quote
After the way he was injured his rookie year and then took a beating this year, absolutely not.

I definitely think it will be smarter for him to take a team friendlier deal because then we could use that money to build an offensive line, but how would he be guaranteed that they'd be able to spend the money there or how he wants?

I'd be upset but I'd understand it, so I wouldn't resent him.

I think he understands that a team friendly deal will help to ensure that he has a long career, which would make him the most money.
Reply/Quote
Brady always took team friendly deals, Mahomes did as well, Joe wants to win as much as these guys.

We can make him the highest paid QB ($500M) and structure it to be very team friendly.

Reply/Quote
No, I can't fault him if he maximizes his earning potential. I hope the team can continue its success regardless of how his contract is structured.
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2023, 08:52 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Brady always took team friendly deals, Mahomes did as well, Joe wants to win as much as these guys.

We can make him the highest paid QB ($500M) and structure it to be very team friendly.

Brady was always a special case though. Joe doesn’t have a supermodel wife who’s worth half a billion dollars. Wink

Reply/Quote
(02-01-2023, 09:39 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Brady was always a special case though. Joe doesn’t have a supermodel wife who’s worth half a billion dollars. Wink

Sure, I say Brady as that is Joe's idol.  Mahomes is the one to look to for Joe.

Reply/Quote
(02-01-2023, 07:25 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: The problem is if Burrow demands too much money the team wont have enough to put in other areas like getting Burrow a nice O-line and he could have his knee shredded again.  I dont blame anyone for getting as much as they can but at some point it becomes detrimental to both the team and player. 

He is, and has been, on his rookie deal and they didn't get a nice O-line yet. If they say, "oh, well now we can't afford an O-line" lacks validity.

Tom Brady's wife also made a boat load of money and his endorsements were massive. ( Didn't he also get a PPP "loan."? ) 
Like a teenage girl driving a Ferrari. 
Reply/Quote