Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Williams, Spain, Hopkins, Su'a-Filo, Reiff
(09-04-2021, 10:16 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I like this OL and the depth is much better than I thought it would be at this time.

We will see if they clean up the penalties as that is now my main concern with the Offense.

2 concerns with this o-line

Ability to stay healthy

and Run blocking
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2021, 10:17 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: 2 concerns with this o-line

Ability to stay healthy

and Run blocking

True. I do like the wide zone that Pollack has been implementing but we need to see it in real action.
Reply/Quote
Ability to stay healthy is the concern with every O line in the NFL. Look at the Chiefs last year, both starting Ts out for the SB and that fearsome offense can't move the ball. Anybody who thinks this O line isn't significantly better than last yr is simply not paying attention.
Reply/Quote
Miles ahead of last years line.
Reply/Quote
Jonah looks to be better than last year in limited snaps. Spain way better than Jordan. Hop will be solid. XSF wasn’t terrible when healthy last year and way better than whoever else we threw at RG last year. Reiff light years better than Hart. I like the young guys, I just hope if injuries happen it’s rotational so there is no more than one of them having to start.
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2021, 08:53 AM)wanga Wrote: Miles ahead of last years line.

It all went down hill with the re-signing of B. Hart. Everyone knew it was gonna be bad and it turn out horrific with the injury of Burrow.
Reply/Quote
I’m good with are tackles but the biggest need this offseason was interior line help and I feel like we went with the anybody is better than Michael Jordan approach at guard. Carman is a rookie who didn’t win the starting job and has never played guard before, same goes for Smith. Hopkins is coming off a week 17 ACL and is backed up by a rookie 6th round center. XSF is backup quality in my opinion at this point in his career. XFS beat out 2 rookies who both played tackle in college. Spain is the most overrated Bengal on the team because we’re just happy he’s not Michael Jordan and not terrible. I get they did good in the “ preseason “ I just won’t believe it till I see it in a game that matters.
Reply/Quote
I think if this 5 can stay healthy and the only reason someone number 2 on the depth chart starts playing is because they earned the chance to leapfrog the person in front of them I think the line will have a solid year. They might not be all pros but I believe they can be adequate. At least the backup rookie guards were looking good in the preseason. How many games did Smith play? I know he did good game 1 and then missed game 2 with dehydration? Didn’t hear anything from game 3
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I predict they will grade out as slightly above average pass blockers as a unit but well below average run blocking.
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2021, 12:13 PM)Bengalitis Wrote: It all went down hill with the re-signing of B. Hart. Everyone knew it was gonna be bad and it turn out horrific with the injury of Burrow.

Playing Hart so long was pure disrespect to Burrow

Period
-Housh
Reply/Quote
Can't wait to see how well Spain will play (if he stays healthy).

He isn't an all-pro by any stretch, but I can't wait to see him provide the stability we've needed since Boling.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2021, 06:19 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Can't wait to see how well Spain will play (if he stays healthy).

He isn't an all-pro by any stretch, but I can't wait to see him provide the stability we've needed since Boling.

Spain at best is Hopkins level
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2021, 07:42 PM)masonbengals fan Wrote: Key will be to stay healthy.

Tiger

I'm a Bengals fan until the end but I don't like this offensive line in front of a guy coming off of major knee surgery. Now you can call me what you want but I just don't like it. The interior is where my worries hit first. I'll never know why this organization wouldn't spend any amount of money to protect this guy. I nor you know what this team is currently really. They gave Joe an opportunity for three plays. Have you seen those rookies that your so high on play . Really..
Stop sending me messages calling me crazy because I understand this game. This is exactly what you see OK.
Please make me a believer in this offensive line. Pollack doesn't play a down but is a developer of talent but Zimmer is in town next week.
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2021, 10:17 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: 2 concerns with this o-line

Ability to stay healthy

and Run blocking

Williams- No stranger to injuries but a solid player who's a pro bowler on the Right side.

Quinton Spain- He'll be serviceable but certainly not someone you'd want starting after the future of your franchise had major knee surgery. Extremely solid backup!

The Center- Coming off of knee surgery himself but interview ability doesn't help you in the AFCN! We don't know what he is coming off his ACL injury because you haven't seen him really.. Or have you been at practice

XSF- I know he was drafted out of Texas and played a bit w/ the boys but that's it. I'm not sure what he is to be honest but I know he cant stay on the field.

Reilly Rieff- Again a serviceable guy asked to rewind the clock and protect. Its ideal if your asking him to come in and backup both tackle spots. You can't in your right mind ask him to be an exclusive protector of your franchise at 32. When you wouldn't sign Big Whit to do the same. You drafted him!

Backups

Carman Jackson- I agreed with the pick just a round or two to early but ok. He'll start off slow because he's a 3-4 round year two possible starter. He'll be forced to protect the franchise and I'm not sure thats fair. He is from Fairfield OH. Not fair but he'll say he's ready as he should. When Paul Alexander was a part of the pick is shot down the balloons for me. Why not Pollack.

D'Ante - I really haven't seen him.

Hill- Really don't know enough
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2021, 08:01 PM)Emeritus Wrote: Williams- No stranger to injuries but a solid player who's a pro bowler on the Right side.

Quinton Spain- He'll be serviceable but certainly not someone you'd want starting after the future of your franchise had major knee surgery. Extremely solid backup!

The Center- Coming off of knee surgery himself but interview ability doesn't help you in the AFCN! We don't know what he is coming off his ACL injury because you haven't seen him really.. Or have you been at practice

XSF- I know he was drafted out of Texas and played a bit w/ the boys but that's it. I'm not sure what he is to be honest but I know he cant stay on the field.

Reilly Rieff- Again a serviceable guy asked to rewind the clock and protect. Its ideal if your asking him to come in and backup both tackle spots. You can't in your right mind ask him to be an exclusive protector of your franchise at 32. When you wouldn't sign Big Whit to do the same. You drafted him!

Backups

Carman Jackson- I agreed with the pick just a round or two to early but ok. He'll start off slow because he's a 3-4 round year two possible starter. He'll be forced to protect the franchise and I'm not sure thats fair. He is from Fairfield OH. Not fair but he'll say he's ready as he should. When Paul Alexander was a part of the pick is shot down the balloons for me. Why not Pollack.

Jonah is at left tackle and not a pro bowler

Could be one day

But he hasn’t shown it thus far
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2021, 08:01 PM)Emeritus Wrote: Williams- No stranger to injuries but a solid player who's a pro bowler on the Right side.

Backups

Compared to last year, I think we are still justified in concerns, but do remember that burrow doesn’t need 10 seconds or anything crazy. And I felt like a lot of the time Bobby hart was the biggest issue , as burrow knew someone was coming in hot from the right most of the time. I don’t see Reiff being that turn style. Sure, plays are going to break down sometimes, but a good qb throws it away / takes the check down to live another day. I think what we saw from burrow last year alone tells us that this line is night and day. Is it perfect? No. Even the perfect ones fail given tragic injuries. Look at KC last year.

TLDR: the worry is justified, but I think you’ll all be pleasantly surprised!
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2021, 08:57 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Jonah is at left tackle and not a pro bowler

Could be one day

But he hasn’t shown it thus far

Exactly my point. I like him as a right side pro bowl player. 
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2021, 09:15 PM)wildcatnku24 Wrote: Compared to last year, I think we are still justified in concerns, but do remember that burrow doesn’t need 10 seconds or anything crazy. And I felt like a lot of the time Bobby hart was the biggest issue , as burrow knew someone was coming in hot from the right most of the time. I don’t see Reiff being that turn style. Sure, plays are going to break down sometimes, but a good qb throws it away / takes the check down to live another day. I think what we saw from burrow last year alone tells us that this line is night and day. Is it perfect?  No. Even the perfect ones fail given tragic injuries. Look at KC last year.

TLDR: the worry is justified, but I think you’ll all be pleasantly surprised!

Lets not bring Bobby Hart in any conversation about this team because he's gone.No Reiff won't be a turn style but he'll be on the older side for the position. The sad part is Duke sold the fans on him. Big name with longevity that you know but no real skins on the wall.
They didn't do anything along the offensive line this off season . Period
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2021, 10:00 PM)Emeritus Wrote: Lets not bring Bobby Hart in any conversation about this team because he's gone.No Reiff won't be a turn style but he'll be on the older side for the position. The sad part is Duke sold the fans on him. Big name with longevity that you know but no real skins on the wall.
They didn't do anything along the offensive line this off season . Period

I'm not talking about some tackle we had 10 years ago.  The relevance is there, for sure.  

To say they didn't do anything along the offensive line this season baffles me.  I'm not sure it's worth engaging, but I suppose bait taken but I'm giving short version:

Got rid of:
Turner (FRIGGIN HUGE)
Price (dead weight, preseason did show improvement but still it didn't work out)
Hart (brought it up again... oh my!)

Gained:
Pollack (See comments beside Turner)
Reiff (great player, to include leadership which I believe is a solid thing to have.  Many of us, myself included, were sad to lose that with Whitworth)
Draft picks seem like solid depth adds.
Reply/Quote
Tiger

It either makes us or breaks us!
It wont be anything else. 
Stop saying this offensive line is okay when you don't really believe it. Its not ok
Reply/Quote