Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Williams, Spain, Hopkins, Su'a-Filo, Reiff
Stop telling me what to believe! You aren't my real dad!  Tongue
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I don’t know about them not being OK.They didn’t allow any sacks in preseason.Looked pretty good for the most part.Let’s just watch them play a full regular season game first.
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2021, 11:34 PM)ezekiel23 Wrote: I don’t know about them not being OK.They didn’t allow any sacks in preseason.Looked pretty good for the most part.Let’s just watch them play a full regular season game first.

They didn't allow any sacks with Billy Price as the center. Hopkins coming back from injury is definitely a concern about how he'll hold up and if he'll be playing at the same level right away or this season. Our overall depth is concerning.
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2021, 10:00 PM)Emeritus Wrote: They didn't do anything along the offensive line this off season . Period

You are honestly claiming Reiff won't be an improvement over Hart?

I hate to accuse people of trolling, but come on, man.
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2021, 12:14 AM)fredtoast Wrote: You are honestly claiming Reiff won't be an improvement over Hart?

I hate to accuse people of trolling, but come on, man.
No sir I'd never claim that but what I'm saying is that this offensive line in its current state isn't very good.
I know some are trying to put lipstick on a pig but its still a... We'll know more after Mike Zimmer comes in week one. They need to add two more vets on the offensive line.
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2021, 12:36 AM)Emeritus Wrote: No sir I'd never claim that but what I'm saying is that this offensive line in its current state isn't very good.
I know some are trying to put lipstick on a pig but its still a... We'll know more after Mike Zimmer comes in week one. They need to add two more vets on the offensive line.

No they don't.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2021, 12:36 AM)Emeritus Wrote: No sir I'd never claim that but what I'm saying is that this offensive line in its current state isn't very good.

Tell us how you would acquire them. 
Reply/Quote
With Frank Pollack this line can be average which is all we need. Our weapons combined with Burrow can be great with average protection and average run blocking. Just keep the DL out of Burrow's lap and he will chew up defenses.

Cigar
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2021, 06:05 AM)BurrowTheGoat Wrote: With Frank Pollack this line can be average which is all we need. Our weapons combined with Burrow can be great with average protection and average run blocking. Just keep the DL out of Burrow's lap and he will chew up defenses.

Go to YouTube and watch the video,10 things that will make Joe Burrow Elite,by a guy named Ben Grant.It’s an excellent video.Best I’ve ever seen on Burrow.With all the focus on the OL,Ja’Maar Chase,etc.I think we’ve sorta forgotten the fact that we have an Elite Quarterback.I think if anything,he is underrated.
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2021, 11:35 AM)ezekiel23 Wrote: Go to YouTube and watch the video,10 things that will make Joe Burrow Elite,by a guy named Ben Grant.It’s an excellent video.Best I’ve ever seen on Burrow.With all the focus on the OL,Ja’Maar Chase,etc.I think we’ve sorta forgotten the fact that we have an Elite Quarterback.I think if anything,he is underrated.

If Burrow gets the time Allen got in the pre-season, he is going to just carve defenses up. Just think about how good he was last year while running for his life.
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2021, 09:15 PM)wildcatnku24 Wrote: Compared to last year, I think we are still justified in concerns, but do remember that burrow doesn’t need 10 seconds or anything crazy. And I felt like a lot of the time Bobby hart was the biggest issue , as burrow knew someone was coming in hot from the right most of the time. I don’t see Reiff being that turn style. Sure, plays are going to break down sometimes, but a good qb throws it away / takes the check down to live another day. I think what we saw from burrow last year alone tells us that this line is night and day. Is it perfect?  No. Even the perfect ones fail given tragic injuries. Look at KC last year.

TLDR: the worry is justified, but I think you’ll all be pleasantly surprised!

The biggest weakness with the OL last season was miscommunication which can be attributed to poor coaching.

Pollack along with a solid vet in Reiff could help much more than people know. Play disciplined with this new wide zone scheme
and it could also really open up the running game which in turn would really help take pressure off of Burrow and open up PA.
Reply/Quote
We clearly have some addition by subtraction going on, but forgive me for not being ecstatic when 4/5 of this line was on the roster last year.

...and shame on anyone who can't at least be honest with themselves that injuries are a big red flag with this group. If you can't admit that, your credibility on these boards should be zero going forward.

Jonah has been nothing but injured thus far in his career. XSF hasn't played close to a full season in several years IIRC, and Hopkins is coming off a major injury.

Pointing out reality isn't hating.

That said, dumping Hart, Jordan and Turner should help a bunch.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2021, 02:19 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: We clearly have some addition by subtraction going on, but forgive me for not being ecstatic when 4/5 of this line was on the roster last year.

...and shame on anyone who can't at least be honest with themselves that injuries are a big red flag with this group. If you can't admit that, your credibility on these boards should be zero going forward.

Jonah has been nothing but injured thus far in his career. XSF hasn't played close to a full season in several years IIRC, and Hopkins is coming off a major injury.

All true, but if those guys actually can stay healthy that could be even more of a positive...
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2021, 02:31 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: All true, but if those guys actually can stay healthy that could be even more of a positive...

Absolutely. I mean, it's possible.

Them not being healthy played (partly) into why we were so terrible last year.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2021, 02:35 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Absolutely. I mean, it's possible.

Them not being healthy played (partly) into why we were so terrible last year.

Sure did.
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2021, 02:19 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: We clearly have some addition by subtraction going on, but forgive me for not being ecstatic when 4/5 of this line was on the roster last year.

Not trying to be a know it all. But I looked up Spain and XSF because I'm also concerned about the depth. The only year XSF had a significant injury was 2019 and besides that it looks like last year was the only time he missed time. But to your point he has bounced around struggling to secure a starting spot.  
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2021, 11:36 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Hart, MJ, Redmond, Price, and Shaq Calhoun combined to start 32 games for us last yeat.This year all of them were cut after training camp. Most of them are still unemployed. 

I heard on, I think Paul Dehners podcast, we had like 8 players from last year's 53 who currently aren't on a roster. That's absurdly bad. 
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2021, 02:40 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: Not trying to be a know it all. But I looked up Spain and XSF because I'm also concerned about the depth. The only year XSF had a significant injury was 2019 and besides that it looks like last year was the only time he missed time. But to your point he has bounced around struggling to secure a starting spot.  

He also missed time due to a high ankle sprain in 2015:

https://www.battleredblog.com/2015/9/9/9297525/xavier-sua-filo-likely-out-for-week-one-per-bill-obrien

That was just from a quick google search. There might be more. The guy has only played a full 16 game schedule twice in 7 years, and he has 2 major injuries in the last 3 years.
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2021, 03:22 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: He also missed time due to a high ankle sprain in 2015:

https://www.battleredblog.com/2015/9/9/9297525/xavier-sua-filo-likely-out-for-week-one-per-bill-obrien

That was just from a quick google search. There might be more. The guy has only played a full 16 game schedule twice in 7 years, and he has 2 major injuries in the last 3 years.

Yeah I could be wrong I looked up him and Spain's career on Wikipedia. So not sure how much of a trusted that is for sports. But on there it looked like a lot of him not playing 16 games was because he was a backup who then came in to fill in for another injured player.
Reply/Quote
Look at what Bill Calhoun did for the Browns OL. From one of the worst OLs to one of the best in a year. Frank Pollack can turn our OL into an average unit. OL coach is the most important position coach in football because OL play is so much about technique and communication. I think we will see what a shit coach Jim Turner is this season.

Cigar
Reply/Quote