Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willie Anderson on espn 1530
So I can't get the podcast to play for me but I thought I'd share the link so that others may be able to give it a listen and discuss. The most notable thing I'm curious about is it saying espn is asking former players to make fun of this bengals team. Has anyone heard this and if so what are your thoughts.
Have a great day who dey nation

who dey?!

http://www.espn1530.com/onair/lance-mcalister-7818/podcast-willie-anderson-14057218/

Reply/Quote
I was listening to it yesterday on my way home from work as well. Was a pretty interesting interview imo, especiallythe part where he talkyd about the Bengalso HoF.

From what I remember, and I could be wrong, I thought he was saying they were told to make fun of the Bengals team from back when Willie played not the current team. He said he was told this at the Pro Bowl so I imagine this was in the 90s and early 2000s when this was happening. Doesn't surprise me though, just more solidifys that all ESPN cares about is ratings and not actually reporting sports. 
Reply/Quote
I guess I'm a grudge kind of guy. I don't forgive Carson for quitting. I don't forgive Dillon for laughing and throwing his pads into the stands. I don't forgive Willie for leaking our calls during the Ravens opener... Just can't be bothered to care what Willie says about the bengals.
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2015, 10:54 AM)gobobro Wrote: I guess I'm a grudge kind of guy. I don't forgive Carson for quitting. I don't forgive Dillon for laughing and throwing his pads into the stands. I don't forgive Willie for leaking our calls during the Ravens opener... Just can't be bothered to care what Willie says about the bengals.

Fun way to go through life man.  Violin
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2015, 12:19 PM)Sweetness Wrote: Fun way to go through life man.  Violin

My guess is there are players you don't like because of some things they've done. You don't spend your idle time obsessing over them, or seething with rage. You don't make voodoo dolls, or stalk them on social media to vent spew hatred at every syllable they utter.... You simply don't like them, and don't really care what they have to say about your team.

If I'm way off base with that assumption, forgive me. I think you've got a heck of a shot at being allowed to cast the first stone.
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2015, 10:54 AM)gobobro Wrote: I guess I'm a grudge kind of guy. I don't forgive Carson for quitting. I don't forgive Dillon for laughing and throwing his pads into the stands. I don't forgive Willie for leaking our calls during the Ravens opener... Just can't be bothered to care what Willie says about the bengals.

A grudge usually hurts the grudg-er more than the grudg-ee, one of the downsides of holding one.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote

Dont listen to these people. I cant stand these players either.  What they dont realize is what they do doesn't bother the owners and coaches at all. It hurts the fans and that is why we get upset!
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2015, 03:29 PM)bengalhoel Wrote: Dont listen to these people. I cant stand these players either.  What they dont realize is what they do doesn't bother the owners and coaches at all. It hurts the fans and that is why we get upset!

It's fine. Some people place different levels of severity to key words (like 'grudge,' in this case). Some people like to find a chance to feel more 'enlightened.' Some people just like to poke others with a stick. It's the nature of boards... In the end, I'm just tickled not to be embroiled in some semantic battle of words that involves the posting of definitions from online dictionaries. :p
Reply/Quote

When Willie was with the Ravens? Why would he not give them he calls they were paying him money.

The Bengals screwed Willie over, do the research
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2015, 10:03 PM)Slappy from New Haven Wrote: When Willie was with the Ravens? Why would he not give them he calls they were paying him money.

Ninja
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2015, 10:03 PM)Slappy from New Haven Wrote: When Willie was with the Ravens? Why would he not give them he calls they were paying him money.

Speaking that type of truth might get you branded around these parts.

People want the players to be as loyal to the team as we the fans are, but it's not like that. This is a business, and how those players provide for their families. There is blame on both sides in almost every one of these situations, but it's easier to lash out at the player then accept that ownership and in some cases even the fans ran a player out of town.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

You mean how the Bengals didn't re-sign him and he continued his career in Baltimore? Plus, how do you know he 'leaked' play-calls? It's not like the Ravens couldn't go to the previous year and get the same play calls.

Shut up.

Also, why don't you have a grudge against Michael Johnson then? He left Cincinnati and for all you know he could have 'leaked' Bengals defensive calls.
Reply/Quote
I am in awe at the number of people who despise our former players. I can understand some (Palmer, Dillon mostly) but Big Willie?

Reply/Quote
(10-23-2015, 01:40 AM)Atomic Orange Wrote: I am in awe at the number of people who despise our former players. I can understand some (Palmer, Dillon mostly) but Big Willie?

No reason to. Quite possibly the best offensive tackle the Bengals ever had not named Munoz.

Surprised these people aren't hating Hue Jackson either. Since. You know. He left and was with another team that played against the Bengals.
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2015, 12:47 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Speaking that type of truth might get you branded around these parts.

People want the players to be as loyal to the team as we the fans are, but it's not like that. This is a business, and how those players provide for their families. There is blame on both sides in almost every one of these situations, but it's easier to lash out at the player then accept that ownership and in some cases even the fans ran a player out of town.

There are multiple version of "the truth," and there are infinite interpretations of "the facts." There is also a line that separates football the sport, and football the business. I expect the business side of things to be conducted with a level of professionalism, and to leave the passion to the sport.

In this situation, I thought both sides were unprofessional in leveraging the fanbase emotions when airing the private business of contract renegotiations. The Bengals wanted Willie to take a pay cut. Willie refused. Both sides used the newspapers to try to skew public opinion. That was a wash in my eyes, and the result was Willie was released by the team at final cutdowns. He was 33ish, his knee and foot were going south, he'd missed most of the previous season to injuries, and he was leaving with the $20 million guaranteed from his contract he signed less than two years prior. Sucked to see him go, but I understood the team's thought process, and knew Willie had been well paid...

Where things cross a line for me is that Willie immediately ran to our division rival, signed a deal with them two days before the season opener against them, and was repeatedly shown during the game with headsets on, and in animated discussions with defensive coaches when the Bengals offense was on the field, and with offensive coaches when our defense was on the field. We did nothing on offense that day, and got shredded on defense.

Was Willie free to sign with 31 other teams after being released by the Bengals? You bet. Happens all the time. Going to a hated rival two days before a game against them and using your intimate knowledge on tv strikes me as rather nasty and vindictive.

...I'll avoid the bit about fans running guys out of town as I don't think that applies to this conversation.

(10-23-2015, 01:34 AM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: You mean how the Bengals didn't re-sign him and he continued his career in Baltimore? Plus, how do you know he 'leaked' play-calls? It's not like the Ravens couldn't go to the previous year and get the same play calls.

Shut up.

Also, why don't you have a grudge against Michael Johnson then? He left Cincinnati and for all you know he could have 'leaked' Bengals defensive calls.

You seem to be mistaken about the course of events. Willie was released, not failed to re-sign. As to the leaked play calls, he was shown on tv several times doing it during the games. He was released August 30, signed by the Ravens September 5, and wearing a headset and animatededly talking to coaches during the game on September 7. Willie had a knowledge base of the current calls, tendencies, adjustments, and verbiage the Ravens couldn't have from watching game film. There's not a whole lot of debate on wether or not he did it. The only real debate is on if it was something you think tarnishes his memory of him. For me, it does. For others, it doesn't. From your 'shut up,' I'm guessing it doesn't change how you view him. That's fine. I'm not raging and demanding others believe what I want.

As for guys like MJ, it's a different animal. He was a free agent, got a better deal elsewhere, and kept everything professional. I don't care if you go play somewhere else. I don't even care if you leave and sign with a division rival (I don't love it, but whatever). What rubbed me the wrong way with Willie was the immediacy of running to the Ravens, and the public nature of his role in the season opener. He didn't play in the game. His singular purpose was to hurt his old team. It bugged me.

(10-23-2015, 01:40 AM)Atomic Orange Wrote: I am in awe at the number of people who despise our former players. I can understand some (Palmer, Dillon mostly) but Big Willie?

You'll have to take 'despise' up with someone else. I hold Willie in a category of former Bengals who left in a manner which diminishes how I think of them. I don't obsess over it, or wish him harm. I just don't think enough of him to click on a link and listen to him. If you are in awe of that, we can discuss it further. If my level of 'grudge' makes more sense now, cheers!

(10-23-2015, 03:08 AM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: No reason to. Quite possibly the best offensive tackle the Bengals ever had not named Munoz.

Surprised these people aren't hating Hue Jackson either. Since. You know. He left and was with another team that played against the Bengals.

Different situations. People who conduct the business of football in a business like manner are aces in my book. Hue has followed a career path that has never seemed vindictive to any former employer (despite having serious reason, I've heard). 99.99% of all players and coaches move from team to team in a professional manner. It's that 1 in a 1000 guy that seems to have an agenda that bugs me... Favre trying to stick it to the Packers by angling his way to the Vikings is another rare instance.
Reply/Quote
Not going to lie man, way too many words at this point in the morning; I stopped reading after the first paragraph. Not sure who you're trying to kill with all that. Regardless of your long, drawn out, eloquent drawl defending your grudge against people who you've never even met and probably liked for all but one day of their Bengals career; it still comes off as petty. 

You appear to be an intelligent person, or at least know how to look up three syllable (syl-la-ble) words, but it comes off as ignorant to completely ignore or not even listen to something someone says simply because you don't like them. Talk about casting the first stone, you're literally completely disregarding anything these people could ever do or say because they "wronged" you 5+ years ago. 
Reply/Quote
Some are stuck on a personal definition of 'grudge.' Some have fuzzy memories on Willie's departure. There were a lot of replies, and I thought it was the right thing to address all of them... I tried to give as much information and interpretation as possible to help clear things up.

In the end, it doesn't seem right to invest energy explaining myself to someone who doesn't care. Not intending that as a blast at all. You simply aren't interested enough in what I post, and I respect the honesty of that... It's a new board to me, and I'm feeling out the community.

Enjoy the Bye weekend. Get those leaves raked, and hit that honey-do list! Next weekend is a huge game for the Bengals. WHO DEY
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2015, 09:18 AM)gobobro Wrote: Some are stuck on a personal definition of 'grudge.' 

You were the one who said yourself (see post 3 in thread) you're a "grudge kind of kind". So by whatever definition you're using, yes you're holding a grudge. 

Anyways, to anyone who did listen to the interview, it was pretty interesting. 
Reply/Quote
Willie went to a division rival. You can't begrudge someone his grudge when a division rival is involved. If on one hand you can say (on Willie's behalf) that "it's just business"...well? Cuts both ways. "It's just business" that Willie opened himself to be diminished in some fans' eyes.

Chad and Corey went ring chasing. It was what it was. They took that risk to be vilified, and they damn well knew it when they did it.
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2015, 08:30 AM)gobobro Wrote: You seem to be mistaken about the course of events. Willie was released, not failed to re-sign. As to the leaked play calls, he was shown on tv several times doing it during the games. He was released August 30, signed by the Ravens September 5, and wearing a headset and animatededly talking to coaches during the game on September 7. Willie had a knowledge base of the current calls, tendencies, adjustments, and verbiage the Ravens couldn't have from watching game film. There's not a whole lot of debate on wether or not he did it. The only real debate is on if it was something you think tarnishes his memory of him. For me, it does. For others, it doesn't. From your 'shut up,' I'm guessing it doesn't change how you view him. That's fine. I'm not raging and demanding others believe what I want.

That's on the coaches for not changing calls and/or plays. No problem with Willie helping the team employs him.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote