Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Winning With a Depleted Roster
Winning a prime time game without Tee Higgins, Jessie Bates, Ricardo Allen, and Chidobe Awuzie in the lineup was a huge accomplishment. Playing without Awuzie and Bates was especially significant given Trevor Lawrence is such an accurate passer.

This means (1) the Bengals’ bench is deeper than in previous seasons and (2) the second string players are better coached than in the past. Injuries happen to every team in the NFL, not just the Cincinnati Bengals. The big difference I’ve seen in Cincinnati is the lack of depth but on Thursday night I saw backup players play credibly and effectively.

With that said we come to the case of Joe Mixon whose high ankle sprain may keep him out of the lineup for awhile. Beating the Green Bay Packers takes a strong run game to sustain long drives which keep Aaron Rodgers on the bench. Is Samaje Perine good enough to be the featured running back or should Zac Taylor give the majority of the practice snaps to Chris Evans? Is it time to seek the services of a free agent running back?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
He has a HAS? Since when?
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2021, 09:49 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: He has a HAS? Since when?

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2021/10/1/22704549/joe-mixon-injury-bengals-packers-news-nfl-high-ankle-sprain
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2021, 09:41 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Winning a prime time game without Tee Higgins, Jessie Bates, Ricardo Allen, and Chidobe Awuzie in the lineup was a huge accomplishment.  Playing without Awuzie and Bates was especially significant given Trevor Lawrence is such an accurate passer.  

This means (1) the Bengals’ bench is deeper than in previous seasons and (2) the second string players are better coached than in the past.  Injuries happen to every team in the NFL, not just the Cincinnati Bengals. The big difference I’ve seen in Cincinnati is the lack of depth but on Thursday night I saw backup players play credibly and effectively.

With that said we come to the case of Joe Mixon whose high ankle sprain may keep him out of the lineup for awhile.  Beating the Green Bay Packers takes a strong run game to sustain long drives which keep Aaron Rodgers on the bench.  Is Samaje Perine good enough to be the featured running back or should Zac Taylor give the majority of the practice snaps to Chris Evans?  Is it time to seek the services of a free agent running back?

Well said FIK.  Depth is huge.  I think that showed up on the negative side in the Pittsburgh game.

They had 4 of the front 7 out, on defense, and it showed.  I'm the kind of guy that wants to beat the best, but like you said injuries are part of the game.

I see another bright shining star in McPherson. My son's a Gator alumni so, I watched him with the Gators and, barring injury, I think he could be the Bengals' Justin Tucker.

Look at how many games the Ravens have won with Tucker.

As far as the Mixon situation . . one thing I've learned in the last 30 years, I have no clue!
Reply/Quote
This "news" was already addressed in another thread.

http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-Mixon-Could-Have-High-Ankle-Sprain

There are is zero information or even announcement from either team or league sources. Cincyjungle went and posted an article based on a tweet from a source whose reputability is to put lightly questionable. Look this guys track record up - it is bad.
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2021, 09:50 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: https://www.cincyjungle.com/2021/10/1/22704549/joe-mixon-injury-bengals-packers-news-nfl-high-ankle-sprain

You believe that crap?
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2021, 11:36 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: You believe that crap?

Cincy Jungle is barely a blog and not a news site.   Basing anything off of what is written there is asking to be lied to......thus I agree with your assessment.

At least people have stopped linking Striprhype as a source...............
Reply/Quote
With Mixon out this week, I think the Bengals will stick with Perine and Evans. They will get their chances to show how well they perform. If they don't work out, I see a FA or even a trade possibility.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
Personally , I would like to see a little Pooka if Mixon is out.
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2021, 03:46 AM)Stewy Wrote: Cincy Jungle is barely a blog and not a news site.   Basing anything off of what is written there is asking to be lied to......thus I agree with your assessment.

At least people have stopped linking Striprhype as a source...............

CJ is great for opinion articles and the analysis by Sheerhan and Matt Minich is good stuff, but, "reports," like this are pure BS.

(10-03-2021, 04:34 AM)guyofthetiger Wrote: With Mixon out this week, I think the Bengals will stick with Perine and Evans. They will get their chances to show how well they perform. If they don't work out, I see a FA or even a trade possibility.

Where on earth was it announced that Mixon is out for the week?
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2021, 10:30 AM)dr tarzan Wrote: Personally ,  I would like to see a little Pooka if Mixon is out.

Wasn't Pooka signed by another team? And besides, he's not exactly cut out to be a featured back at the NFL level..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Trayveon Williams is a tremendous back sitting right there on the practice squad. He is only on the practice squad because he can not stay healthy. But for a few games, he would be a good one to bring up to the active roster and let him get a shot at getting some tape on him. Then maybe we could actually trade him when Mixon is healthy (if he's even hurt)
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2021, 09:41 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Winning a prime time game without Tee Higgins, Jessie Bates, Ricardo Allen, and Chidobe Awuzie in the lineup was a huge accomplishment.  Playing without Awuzie and Bates was especially significant given Trevor Lawrence is such an accurate passer.  

This means (1) the Bengals’ bench is deeper than in previous seasons and (2) the second string players are better coached than in the past.  Injuries happen to every team in the NFL, not just the Cincinnati Bengals. The big difference I’ve seen in Cincinnati is the lack of depth but on Thursday night I saw backup players play credibly and effectively.

With that said we come to the case of Joe Mixon whose high ankle sprain may keep him out of the lineup for awhile.  Beating the Green Bay Packers takes a strong run game to sustain long drives which keep Aaron Rodgers on the bench.  Is Samaje Perine good enough to be the featured running back or should Zac Taylor give the majority of the practice snaps to Chris Evans?  Is it time to seek the services of a free agent running back?

I agree on the depth and others stepping up and playing well for our starters.  Zac said the Mixon injury was not serious. Why we he lie? He simply could have said he is being evaluated. I trust Zac's comment versus something not verifed by anyone and speculation.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2021, 11:06 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Wasn't Pooka signed by another team?  And besides, he's not exactly cut out to be a featured back at the NFL level..

Nope still with Bengals practice squad but unbeknownst to me he is now working with WR group and not RB's anymore.    
Reply/Quote
I am really proud of this team for pulling off such a great comeback. With injuries to some of our best players, a prime time game, playing a team who is young and starving for a win. Those are games we used to blow it on in a big way, but this team is different. We adapted and overcame a bad first half and got the W. It was something to see. I dont know how good this team can be this year, but one thing I know is that we are heading in the right direction. 3-1 is a good start. We beat the Steelers in Pittsburgh, and won a Prime Time game that was a classic trap game for this team. Times are a changin
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2021, 11:06 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Wasn't Pooka signed by another team? And besides, he's not exactly cut out to be a featured back at the NFL level..

Patrick is the one that got pouched off our PS by the 9ers.

Reply/Quote
(10-03-2021, 02:25 PM)dr tarzan Wrote: Nope still with Bengals practice squad but unbeknownst to me he is now working with WR group and not RB's anymore.    

(10-03-2021, 03:58 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Patrick is the one that got pouched off our PS by the 9ers.

Thanks guys.  Interesting that you read that Williams is working with the WR group.  That could make for some exciting plays in specific situations and packages.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2021, 03:58 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Patrick is the one that got pouched off our PS by the 9ers.

He looked beastly in preseason. Wish they didnt poach him. 
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2021, 10:47 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: CJ is great for opinion articles and the analysis by Sheerhan and Matt Minich is good stuff, but, "reports," like this are pure BS.

Where on earth was it announced that Mixon is out for the week?

Well... it will be just over a week before Mixon gets to play again?? Does that count?
Reply/Quote
Patrick is playing today for the Niners. Early in the game he has 2 carries for 12 yards. I like that dude. Hope he does well unless he's playing us.
Reply/Quote