Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Winston re-signed
Eric Winston tweeted a few minutes ago that he's coming back to the Bengals. Not a major signing, but insurance at RT is a good thing to have. We may see some more of these type of signings trickling in soon.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Sigh...was hoping for Andre Smith, or a veteran that doesn't need to be rotated because he can't handle a starter's load.

This is just another sign that Ogbuehi and Fisher are likely our bookend tackles.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Their priorities are just off. Glad they spent day negotiating w/ Winston instead of trying to better the team. Now down to 1-2 million to spend. Enough for Peko and then it's on to the draft. And you wonder why players have lost faith in the organization.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
This is like putting a band aid on a severed artery.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2017, 02:06 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Sigh...was hoping for Andre Smith, or a veteran that doesn't need to be rotated because he can't handle a starter's load.

This is just another sign that Ogbuehi and Fisher are likely our bookend tackles.

I think Smith was the obvious move.
Reply/Quote
There was no rush to sign Winston. No one has wanted him in years. Could have waited until this summer. If we are so broke then why make Winston of all people a day two signing? Just doesn't make sense.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2017, 01:55 PM)muskiesfan Wrote: Eric Winston tweeted a few minutes ago that he's coming back to the Bengals. Not a major signing, but insurance at RT is a good thing to have. We may see some more of these type of signings trickling in soon.

Isn't Winston older than Whit?

I like the guy and i think he has been decent depth for us but i thought we could bring in a younger OT for depth this year.

(03-10-2017, 02:06 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Sigh...was hoping for Andre Smith, or a veteran that doesn't need to be rotated because he can't handle a starter's load.

Same here, we can only hope these two improve immensely.
Reply/Quote
This pisses me off more than losing Whit and Zeitler.

Worthless.

Takes the roster spot of a guy who could actually develop and be good. Don't give me the leadership BS. Did having him around magically make Ogbuehi and Fisher better last year? Hell no.

Winston aint no dummy. "These suckers wanted to get me off the couch 3 years ago and pay me, 3 years later and they are still handing me money LOLz. I can't play worth a damn any more, but if they want to keep giving me money I won't turn it down. All I have to do is listen to piano man play a few tunes and I get a million bucks to stand around, best job in the world"
Reply/Quote
Why in the world would you want Smith back, did you not watch him get abused in Minnesota last year prior to getting injured? Give me Winston over Smith any day now....
Reply/Quote
Whoever is in charge of putting this roster together is a f*****g moron. Simply cannot be argued.
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2017, 02:22 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Why in the world would you want Smith back, did you not watch him get abused in Minnesota last year prior to getting injured? Give me Winston over Smith any day now....

Give me any young guy with even a hint of upside and potential over Winston any day.

This is a wasted roster spot on a Marvin Lewis trusty vet. 
Reply/Quote
While I agree with you guys, I'm not surprised by this move at all. The team isn't going to sign an actual free agent because they don't want to lose out on their comp picks. Because of that, these are the signings we're going to get.
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2017, 02:24 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Give me any young guy with even a hint of upside and potential over Winston any day.

This  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
AND WE WERE WORRIED!!!!!!
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
(03-10-2017, 02:24 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Give me any young guy with even a hint of upside and potential over Winston any day.

Smith is not a young guy....he's on a sharp decline... Winston is what he is, a solid backup. He's not going to light the world on fire at his age, but he's not the same turnstyle oggie was... Face it, with this revamped oline, we need some solid backups with some playing experience
Reply/Quote

Same here, but i agree with Muskie that that just was not going to happen. I thought maybe they might bring in an OT
that was cut so they didn't have to get rid of any comp picks but i honestly don't know who is out there anymore.

Who is out there?
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2017, 02:31 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Same here, but i agree with Muskie that that just was not going to happen. I thought maybe they might bring in an OT
that was cut so they didn't have to get rid of any comp picks but i honestly don't know who is out there anymore.

Who is out there?

I know Fluker is out there, but Jim O said the team has zero interest in him. I don't think Fluker is great by any stretch, but he played better than Ogbuehi. As much as it may hurt, we should see what we have in Fisher and Ogbuehi. I think this a sink or swim season for them.
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2017, 02:28 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Smith is not a young guy....he's on a sharp decline... Winston is what he is, a solid backup. He's not going to light the world on fire at his age, but he's not the same turnstyle oggie was... Face it, with this revamped oline, we need some solid backups with some playing experience

That wasn't an argument for Smith that was just a general statement. 

Winston wasn't good three years ago when we grabbed him off his couch. 

What would have been a better idea would be using those three years to develop a young tackle with potential. Now we just signed him for a 4th year of wasting one of the 53 roster spots we have. 

The NFL is absolutely desperate for tackles right now. If he was a solid backup we would have competition for his services. 
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2017, 02:34 PM)muskiesfan Wrote: I know Fluker is out there, but Jim O said the team has zero interest in him. I don't think Fluker is great by any stretch, but he played better than Ogbuehi. As much as it may hurt, we should see what we have in Fisher and Ogbuehi. I think this a sink or swim season for them.

Fluker is 8 years younger than Winston and has experience at G and T and wouldn't cost us any comp picks and could potentially still improve as a player. 
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2017, 02:17 PM)jj22 Wrote: There was no rush to sign Winston. No one has wanted him in years. Could have waited until this summer. If we are so broke then why make Winston of all people a day two signing? Just doesn't make sense.

Because.....

[Image: img22395115.jpg]

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote