Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Winston re-signed
(03-10-2017, 03:02 PM)depthchart Wrote: I read an article recently with quotes from Duke Tobin and the Bengals are ALL In on this basic Offensive Line.

• LT:  Cedric Ogbuehi - 1st rounder
  • LG:  Clint Boling - 4th rounder
  • C:     Russell Bodine - 4th rounder
  • RG:  T.J. Johnson (7th rounder) or Christian Westerman (5th rounder) or  Veteran signing
  • RT:   Jake Fisher - 2nd rounder

Not tooting my own horn, but I said this on 2/21:

Quote:Nostradamus Wrote:

Not trying to be a downer, but I have a bad feeling about the o-line. Ogbuehi looks like a bust in the making, Fisher is ok I guess. Zeitler is probably gone, and I'm starting to think Whit will seek a ring elsewhere. We could be looking at a Ogbuehi-Boling-Bodine-Westerman-Fisher line for 2017.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2017, 03:02 PM)depthchart Wrote: I read an article recently with quotes from Duke Tobin and the Bengals are ALL In on this basic Offensive Line.

• RG:  T.J. Johnson (7th rounder) or Christian Westerman (5th rounder) or  Veteran signing

O-Line Coach Paul Alexander is convinced that the young tackles will mature physically. Don't expect any offensive line Draft picks this year until round 3 at the earliest. They will likely sign a veteran Left Tackle that is a little better than Eric Winston to be Ogbuehi's backup with Winston backing up Fisher. A Veteran Guard signing to be a starter is also quite possible. My read on things now is that Reuben Foster will be our 1st pick and they will hope that Joe Mixon falls to them in round 2. Charlie Casserly is calling Mixon a Top 10 talent and Reuben Foster a Pro Bowl talent. Jeremy Hill is entering his last year before needing a new contract. If Mixon is gone in round 2 then I see them going Defensive End or Best player available. I think their Draft Card for Reuben Foster is already filled out.
*Getting Tyler Eifert signed to an extension is likely where the Whitworth and Zeitler money will be allocated . This is Eifert's last season before a big money/Franchise tag decision on him has to be made.
*If Paul Alexander is right, then they can stack other areas of the Roster and keep Tyler Eifert long term while still getting a few mid round offensive linemen to develop. They appear to be ALL IN on this Offensive Line plan and having a Pro Bowl Linebacker with Speed like Reuben Foster to pair with Burfict would be an instant Defensive Upgrade that has been needed for a long time. Like it or not this is the General direction. At a minimum the Defense leaps forward and if the Offensive Line holds up so will the roster going into the 2018 Draft. All the Chips are on the table.

I'll say this....If Paul Alexander can turn Ogbuehi and Fisher into good OTs this year, I'll (somewhat) change my opinion of him. I currently believe he had success with so many first and second rounders because they were already good, he didn't have to do much. Ogbuehi and Fisher needed much work in certain (important) areas when they were drafted. Guess we'll have to see how this goes.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2017, 03:21 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I'll say this....If Paul Alexander can turn Ogbuehi and Fisher into good OTs this year, I'll (somewhat) change my opinion of him. I currently believe he had success with so many first and second rounders because they were already good, he didn't have to do much. Ogbuehi and Fisher needed much work in certain (important) areas when they were drafted. Guess we'll have to see how this goes.

If he can turn them into run blockers, I may slightly change my opinion. With the exception of last year, we generally have decent pass protection. The problem is our philosophy is to run the ball. However, our OLine coach has not been able to make improvements in that department.
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2017, 03:20 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Not tooting my own horn, but I said this on 2/21:

Toot that sumbitch son! LMAO

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(03-10-2017, 03:27 PM)Wyche Wrote: Toot that sumbitch son! LMAO

[Image: Dizzy.gif]
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
The front office will have Hobson explaining the Bengals stick to their philosophy of re-signing their own in 3 . . . 2 . . . 1 . . .
Reply/Quote

O-Line Coach Paul Alexander is convinced that the young tackles will mature physically. Don't expect any offensive line Draft picks this year until round 3 at the earliest. They will likely sign a veteran Left Tackle that is a little better than Eric Winston to be Ogbuehi's backup with Winston backing up Fisher. A Veteran Guard signing to be a starter is also quite possible. My read on things now is that Reuben Foster will be our 1st pick and they will hope that Joe Mixon falls to them in round 2. Charlie Casserly is calling Mixon a Top 10 talent and Reuben Foster a Pro Bowl talent. Jeremy Hill is entering his last year before needing a new contract. If Mixon is gone in round 2 then I see them going Defensive End or Best player available. I think their Draft Card for Reuben Foster is already filled out.
*Getting Tyler Eifert signed to an extension is likely where the Whitworth and Zeitler money will be allocated . This is Eifert's last season before a big money/Franchise tag decision on him has to be made.
*If Paul Alexander is right, then they can stack other areas of the Roster and keep Tyler Eifert long term while still getting a few mid round offensive linemen to develop. They appear to be ALL IN on this Offensive Line plan and having a Pro Bowl Linebacker with Speed like Reuben Foster to pair with Burfict would be an instant Defensive Upgrade that has been needed for a long time. Like it or not this is the General direction. At a minimum the Defense leaps forward and if the Offensive Line holds up so will the roster going into the 2018 Draft. All the Chips are on the table.

If the Bengals are "ALL IN" with that offensive line then opposing defenses are going to be "BALLS DEEP" in the Bengals' backfield. 
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2017, 03:20 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Not tooting my own horn, but I said this on 2/21:

Yeah but your not Charles Bronson.
[Image: giphy.gif]

Reply/Quote
(03-10-2017, 03:43 PM)Atomic Orange Wrote: Yeah but your not Charles Bronson.

Yeah, but then again, we all have a "death wish" as fans of this bunch. Wink

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote

I could only hope to be that badass.
Reply/Quote

No one wanted to believe the Bengals were that dumb to do something like that.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-10-2017, 03:40 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: If the Bengals are "ALL IN" with that offensive line then opposing defenses are going to be "BALLS DEEP" in the Bengals' backfield. 

Sir, you win the internetz for today with this post. Brilliant. Absolutely brilliant.
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2017, 03:40 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: If the Bengals are "ALL IN" with that offensive line then opposing defenses are going to be "BALLS DEEP" in the Bengals' backfield. 

I can't think of anything to say that would top this. Bravo sir, bravo.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote

Damn Straight - Charlie Bronson saying it on 3/10/17 has to Trump Shake N Blake's 2/21/17 horn toot. Wink  
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2017, 01:55 PM)muskiesfan Wrote: Eric Winston tweeted a few minutes ago that he's coming back to the Bengals. Not a major signing, but insurance at RT is a good thing to have. We may see some more of these type of signings trickling in soon.

Actually this is a major signing. Ced and Fisher are very young and green and we need the veteran tackle Winston on this team as a leader, teacher and a solid back-up and possible starter if needed due to injuries or youthful failure. . 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote

I say you are wrong.  DO EXPECT a guard draft in early round one or early round two to be as good as the draft year of DeMarco and Zeitler and just plan on him starting right away in place of Zeitler.  It may not take him long to be as good or better than Zeitler either. There are some very good O Linemen that can play guard in this draft.   Signing Kirky and Lafell rules out CB or WR early.  DO EXPECT that top pick guard as Mike Brown can later say, " This is why we did not pay Zeitler to be the highest paid guard in NFL history. THere is a limit to what we will pay a guard, and also Zeitler is not the best guard ever in NFL history ". 

So scratch out your names at RG because a monster of a top guard pick will become a Bengals next month. Early in round one or round two. If Bengals draft the Alabama LB in one and one of the top 3 guards in round two, that's a good solid draft filling needs areas with best available athletes.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2017, 06:45 AM)kevin Wrote: I say you are wrong.  DO EXPECT a guard draft in early round one or early round two to be as good as the draft year of DeMarco and Zeitler and just plan on him starting right away in place of Zeitler.  It may not take him long to be as good or better than Zeitler either. There are some very good O Linemen that can play guard in this draft.   Signing Kirky and Lafell rules out CB or WR early.  DO EXPECT that top pick guard as Mike Brown can later say, " This is why we did not pay Zeitler to be the highest paid guard in NFL history. THere is a limit to what we will pay a guard, and also Zeitler is not the best guard ever in NFL history ". 

So scratch out your names at RG because a monster of a top guard pick will become a Bengals next month.  Early in round one or round two.  If Bengals draft the Alabama LB in one and one of the top 3 guards in round two, that's a good solid draft filling needs areas with best available athletes.
I won't be disappointed if you are right. A Trade Down in round one for extra picks and say Guard Forest Lamp who many are comparing to Dallas Guard Zack Martin could be an option. Or a Dan Feeney in round 2. My hunch though is that it will be round 3 or later before they pull the trigger on a Guard unless say they get another 2nd rounder for AJ McCarron. They will probably want to start the season with an experienced Veteran Free Agent signing at Guard unless Paul Alexander is convinced that say TJ Johnson with 32 games played and 1 start is ready after 4 years of developing. I'm with you in rather having sure fire Top Draft choices but Paul Alexander takes Pride in developing later round guys that he believes in. 4th rounder Russell Bodine is a good example. It is the "make chicken salad out of chicken cr@p" approach which can Backfire so I hope you end up being right. With that said a 3rd round Guard can be something good to work with.
Reply/Quote