Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wisconsin Assembly passes ban on teaching critical race theory
This isn't "color blind". This is a denial of what happened in America that forms what happens in America.

It is a literal whitewashing of the past so that students would not learnt that this country isn't Baseball, mom and apple pie.

Add to the fact that the concepts "banned" are not even TAUGHT in k-12 and it a solution in search of a problem caused by some kind of what can best be described as a white guilt and fear.

It is sad and ridiculous.

But given the current way politics has gone it is not surprising at all they would start to now to tighten their grip on what is taught to hide the truth.

The only solace is that we live in an age where you can look up anything and young people can't be shielded from the facts just because a few school boards and legislators decided they should be.

https://madison.com/news/local/govt-and-politics/wisconsin-assembly-passes-ban-on-teaching-critical-race-theory/article_1e53044a-8047-58c7-9560-368ae54fb588.html

Quote:Teaching public school students and training employees about concepts such as systemic racism and implicit bias would be banned under legislation Republicans passed in the state Assembly Tuesday.

GOP lawmakers also approved a bill, 61-37, that would create a statewide civics curriculum that all Wisconsin public and private schools would have to follow. The measure would require all public school students to take at least a half credit in civics education in order to graduate.

Rep. Sylvia Ortiz-Velez, D-Milwaukee, joined Republicans in favor of the civics bill.

The first measure, which would prohibit teaching concepts under the rubric of “critical race theory,” began circulating in the state Legislature this summer amid a nationwide push by conservatives to police how teachers talk about race in the classroom. The theory asserts that racism is ingrained in the nation’s social structures and policies.

The bill, which passed the Assembly on a 60-38 party-line vote, is all but certain to be vetoed by Democratic Gov. Tony Evers, a former state schools superintendent. The bill has yet to be approved by the Senate.

Opponents have criticized the measure as an attempt to strip local control from school districts and say it misinterprets the concept of critical race theory, which focuses on social and racial inequality in U.S. law and institutions.

Rep. LaKeshia Myers, D-Milwaukee, characterized the measure on Tuesday as a way to sow division similar to former President Richard Nixon’s “Southern strategy,” a campaign that used fear of crime and lawlessness to tap into white Southern voters’ anxiety over racial integration and equality without using overtly racist language.

“AB 411 and bills like it are a poor attempt at reverse psychology to sow seeds of division and hate by playing on the fears of a shrinking white majority,” Myers said.

Bill co-author Rep. Chuck Wichgers, R-Muskego, said the bill follows concerns raised by parents over materials being taught to their children in primary and secondary schools. A similar GOP-authored bill would prohibit the same concepts from being taught in universities and technical colleges.

The bills would ban seven concepts from the classroom, including that one race or sex is superior to another; a person is inherently racist by virtue of his or her race or sex; a person’s moral character is necessarily determined by race or sex; and systems based on meritocracy are racist or sexist or designed to oppress people of another race. An amendment to the bill removed from the legislation one additional concept — that a person should feel guilty for past acts committed by people of his or her race or sex.

In testimony before an Assembly committee last month, Wichgers said the bill would ban the teaching of concepts including “Social Emotional Learning,” “Diversity, Equity and Inclusion,” culturally responsive teaching, anti-racism, conscious and unconscious bias, culturally responsive practices, diversity training, equity, microaggressions, multiculturalism, patriarchy, restorative justice, social justice, systemic racism, white privilege, white supremacy and “woke,” among others.

Funding affected
Under the bill, the Department of Public Instruction would be required to withhold 10% of a school’s state aid if the department determines that the school district or charter school taught race or sex stereotyping or required prohibited employee training.

It’s not clear to what extent the theory, which has been explored mostly in academic journals, actually informs K-12 education; no school in Wisconsin is known to be teaching it, though many of the concepts Wichgers identified are common themes in Madison and other school districts. Assembly Speaker Robin Vos, R-Rochester, and other Republicans assert the concept only serves to further racial and sexual stereotypes.

“The idea that we are going to say that one race is superior, that one religion is better than the other, that one sex has certain characteristics that make it better than the other, that is preposterous, it should never happen,” Vos told reporters Tuesday. “For people who went to civics and understand what America stands for, we should be a colorblind society that judges everybody based on the content of their character — as somebody much more eloquent than me said — than on the color of their skin.”

Here is a list of "Banned" words passed.

Quote:Banned terms
In testimony before a joint meeting of the Assembly and Senate education committees in August, Rep. Chuck Wichgers, R-Muskego, one of the co-authors of the bill to ban the teaching of critical race theory, outlined a list of additional terms and concepts that he said violate the Equal Protection Clause of the U.S. Constitution and would be prohibited subjects in the classroom under the bill:

Critical Race Theory (CRT)
Action Civics
Social Emotional Learning (SEL)
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI)
Culturally responsive teaching
Abolitionist teaching
Affinity groups
Anti-racism
Anti-bias training
Anti-blackness
Anti-meritocracy
Obtuse meritocracy
Centering or de-centering
Collective guilt
Colorism
Conscious and unconscious bias
Critical ethnic studies
Critical pedagogy
Critical self-awareness
Critical self-reflection
Cultural appropriation/misappropriation
Cultural awareness
Cultural competence
Cultural proficiency
Cultural relevance
Cultural responsiveness
Culturally responsive practices
De-centering whiteness
Deconstruct knowledges
Diversity focused
Diversity training
Dominant discourses
Educational justice
Equitable
Equity
Examine “systems"
Free radical therapy
Free radical self/collective care
Hegemony
Identity deconstruction
Implicit/Explicit bias
Inclusivity education
Institutional bias
Institutional oppression
Internalized racial superiority
Internalized racism
Internalized white supremacy
Interrupting racism
Intersection
Intersectionality
Intersectional identities
Intersectional studies
Land acknowledgment
Marginalized identities
Marginalized/Minoritized/Under-represented communities
Microaggressions
Multiculturalism
Neo-segregation
Normativity
Oppressor vs. oppressed
Patriarchy
Protect vulnerable identities
Race essentialism
Racial healing
Racialized identity
Racial justice
Racial prejudice
Racial sensitivity training
Racial supremacy
Reflective exercises
Representation and inclusion
Restorative justice
Restorative practices
Social justice
Spirit murdering
Structural bias
Structural inequity
Structural racism
Systemic bias
Systemic oppression
Systemic racism
Systems of power and oppression
Unconscious bias
White fragility
White privilege
White social capital
White supremacy
Whiteness
Woke
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Reply/Quote
Every word has been diligently chosen.

Sad.

Good luck with the maths teachers not using Intersection.

And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

Reply/Quote
(09-30-2021, 10:25 AM)Arturo Bandini Wrote: Every word has been diligently chosen.

Sad.

Or the Driver's Ed teacher!  Shocked
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2021, 09:41 AM)GMDino Wrote: It’s not clear to what extent the theory, which has been explored mostly in academic journals, actually informs K-12 education; no school in Wisconsin is known to be teaching it, though many of the concepts Wichgers identified are common themes in Madison and other school districts. Assembly Speaker Robin Vos, R-Rochester, and other Republicans assert the concept only serves to further racial and sexual stereotypes.

“The idea that we are going to say that one race is superior, that one religion is better than the other, that one sex has certain characteristics that make it better than the other, that is preposterous, it should never happen,” Vos told reporters Tuesday. “For people who went to civics and understand what America stands for, we should be a colorblind society that judges everybody based on the content of their character — as somebody much more eloquent than me said — than on the color of their skin.”

Fox victory. Won this disinformation battle, for the moment, at least.

This may go the way of legislation against Sharia law, though.

Next target: "Cultural Marxism."
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2021, 10:25 AM)Arturo Bandini Wrote: Every word has been diligently chosen.

Sad.

That's how you enforce "colorblindness." 
Reply/Quote
Quote:The bills would ban seven concepts from the classroom, including that one race or sex is superior to another; a person is inherently racist by virtue of his or her race or sex; a person’s moral character is necessarily determined by race or sex; and systems based on meritocracy are racist or sexist or designed to oppress people of another race. An amendment to the bill removed from the legislation one additional concept — that a person should feel guilty for past acts committed by people of his or her race or sex.

Sounds really awful. I get that liberals don’t like meritocracy and enjoy white guilt, but the other things seem in line with everything they preach. I mean white people use to literally say black people had lower morals. I guess values are conditional.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(10-06-2021, 09:17 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Sounds really awful.

Right!!

I have been a fan of eliminating history as a subject since i took history 101 in high school.

Acknowledging our past and working to improve is such a loser thing to do!

Lets just make stuff up and live in gop rainbow world! Everything is everybody else's' fault... put it on facebook and blame others.. offer no solutions and complain.. solves the worlds problems...
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2021, 09:34 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Right!!

I have been a fan of eliminating history as a subject since i took history 101 in high school.

Acknowledging our past and working to improve is such a loser thing to do!

Lets just make stuff up and live in gop rainbow world! Everything is everybody else's' fault... put it on facebook and blame others.. offer no solutions and complain.. solves the worlds problems...

What does what I quoted have to do with history? Do you agree that a person’s morality is determined by their race? Which race and sex do you believe is superior?
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(10-06-2021, 09:45 PM)michaelsean Wrote: What does what I quoted have to do with history?  Do you agree that a person’s morality is determined by their race?  Which race and sex do you believe is superior?
IDK. I'm just making fun of the party that wants to preserve confederate monuments, then complains when that history lesson is taught.
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2021, 09:45 PM)michaelsean Wrote: What does what I quoted have to do with history?  Do you agree that a person’s morality is determined by their race?  Which race and sex do you believe is superior?

We tend to picture our most popular god as a euro-Caucasian man, so I'd wager that's the ideal. 
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2021, 10:16 PM)Nately120 Wrote: We tend to picture our most popular god as a euro-Caucasian man, so I'd wager that's the ideal. 

I don’t think as many people think that as is believed. I went to Catholic school K through college, and at no point did I think Jesus looked like anything but a middle eastern man.

Reply/Quote
(10-06-2021, 10:19 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I don’t think as many people think that as is believed.  I went to Catholic school K through college, and at no point did I think Jesus looked like anything but a middle eastern man.

The art and image we associate with Christianity is that of the Italian renaissance.  Jesus is a wop and as an Italian who grew up Catholic I was onboard.   Dude looks like he should be flopping on the soccer pitch, not riding a camel. 
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2021, 10:25 PM)Nately120 Wrote: The art and image we associate with Christianity is that of the Italian renaissance.  Jesus is a wop and as an Italian who grew up Catholic I was onboard.   Dude looks like he should be flopping on the soccer pitch, not riding a camel. 

Oh I know the art you mean I just don’t think that many people think that’s what Jesus looked like. But this doesn’t exactly address what I quoted.

Reply/Quote
(10-06-2021, 10:30 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Oh I know the art you mean I just don’t think that many people think that’s what Jesus looked like.  But this doesn’t exactly address what I quoted.

Im just here to talk about USA Jesus looking like Kenny Loggins. No more, no less.  Your eternal soul will be flying into the danger zone if you don't believe.  
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2021, 10:30 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Oh I know the art you mean I just don’t think that many people think that’s what Jesus looked like.  But this doesn’t exactly address what I quoted.

You should probably get out more. Americans tend to have all kinds of idiotic ideas as to what Jesus looked and acted like.

Either that or they just like using their religion as an excuse for their shitty takes on life.
Reply/Quote
(10-07-2021, 07:28 AM)BigPapaKain Wrote: You should probably get out more. Americans tend to have all kinds of idiotic ideas as to what Jesus looked and acted like.

Either that or they just like using their religion as an excuse for their shitty takes on life.

Ok I’ll try that.

Reply/Quote
(10-06-2021, 10:07 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: IDK. I'm just making fun of the party that wants to preserve confederate monuments, then complains when that history lesson is taught.

Yep.  They want the white "right" history lessons taught.  

My parents were alive when white people would stand and scream at black people just trying to go to a school and wouldn't let black people eat at the same diners and restaurants.

But people what to act now like racism is in the distant past of America.
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2021, 10:19 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I don’t think as many people think that as is believed.  I went to Catholic school K through college, and at no point did I think Jesus looked like anything but a middle eastern man.

I had the same education and Jesus was white or at best olive skinned.  No one ever taught us he looked middle eastern.  Tall, thin, beautiful beard and hair and maybe a light tan.

It just wasn't something we talked about.  

But there can be no denying that the popular image of Jesus is far from what an average middle eastern man of that age would have looked like.
Reply/Quote
(10-07-2021, 10:05 AM)GMDino Wrote: I had the same education and Jesus was white or at best olive skinned.  No one ever taught us he looked middle eastern.  Tall, thin, beautiful beard and hair and maybe a light tan.

It just wasn't something we talked about.  

But there can be no denying that the popular image of Jesus is far from what an average middle eastern man of that age would have looked like.

Yeah but you’re from Pennsylvania sooo….

I remember actual discussions when we were quite young of the area Jesus came from and what he would have looked like.

Reply/Quote
(10-07-2021, 10:03 AM)GMDino Wrote: Yep.  They want the white "right" history lessons taught.  

My parents were alive when white people would stand and scream at black people just trying to go to a school and wouldn't let black people eat at the same diners and restaurants.

But people what to act now like racism is in the distant past of America.

I think the main concern for most people, when you actually listen to what they say instead of getting your talking points from liberal sources, is that you can't solve racism with racism.  Yes, I know people like you think only white people can be racist, which in itself is a racist point of view.  I also get that many white liberals (I know because I'm friends with a lot of them and CA is packed to the gills with them) are so desperate to be seen as "allies", and/or are equally terrified of being labeled a racist that they will happily engage in behavior they claim to despise.

Just so we're all familiar with the ground rules, anyone can be racist.  Go to Central or South America and see how black and indigenous populations are treated.  Go to China and see how they treat anyone who isn't Chinese.  Racism is not, never was, and never will be a white person only problem.  Soooooo, if you want to have a real, constructive, conversation about race and the history of the US, I doubt you'll find many people opposed.  When you want to teach a group that they should feel bad about themselves because of their ethnicity or that you're a perpetual victim because of your ethnicity you run into this problem.

Lastly, please don't bother trying to fob off these classes as anything but the latter.  I have several friends who are teachers, I've seen the lesson plans.  Maybe CA is worse than other states in this regard, but from what I've seen it seems about on par with other states.
Reply/Quote