Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
With All These Interviews What Is The Magic Words?
The past few days Ive been reading about all the interviews that are lined up and wondered one thing. What is the magic words the Bengals want to hear from these potential head coaches that will make them rise above the rest?

Do they already have their favorites and are looking for confirmation with an interview or are they looking for someone who will sell the program they want to implement to the Bengals that will bring the city a Super Bowl victory?

I think it would be very interesting to see the process unfold with each candidate.

What do you think it will be that will sway Mike Brown and company to hire a head coach?
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2019, 10:51 PM)GodFather Wrote: The past few days Ive been reading about all the interviews that are lined up and wondered one thing. What is the magic words the Bengals want to hear from these potential head coaches that will make them rise above the rest?

Do they already have their favorites and are looking for confirmation with an interview or are they looking for someone who will sell the program they want to implement to the Bengals that will bring the city a Super Bowl victory?

I think it would be very interesting to see the process unfold with each candidate.

What do you think it will be that will sway Mike Brown and company to hire a head coach?

They're unlikely to release the transcripts of the interviews... Cool

As with any interview, if you've never done one, you like to be impressed with how knowledgeable and organized the person is. How they carry themselves and how well they articulate their points are key too. Lastly, you usually get an overall feel about a person after interacting with them for a short period of time. 

I'd guess that's how the interviews will go and they'll pick the one they like best?

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Must clap and half-heartedly yell "Lets go!" at least 20 times a game.

Must stare at the field with a vacant expression for at least a total of 10 minutes per game.

Must answer any question asked by the press in the most cryptic manner possible, while somehow simultaneously being condescending.
Reply/Quote
Confidence, sure of themselves and what their plan is.
Reply/Quote
"I expect nothing from the ownership."
Reply/Quote
"Will work for less than anyone else you have interviewed and cam make the fans believe we can win a championship"
Reply/Quote
The magic words?

“Of course I’ll work for minimum wage.”

“Yes, I’ll shine your shoes.”

“Your car washed? You got it!”
Reply/Quote
Mike Brown: Welcome
Interviewee: Thanks for the oppor...
Mike Brown: (Stone-faced) I need you to giggle
Interviewer: What?
Mike Brown: Giggle
Interviewer: Is this some kind of joke?
Mike Brown: I need you to giggle for 20 seconds
Interviewer: ummm ok... (Half-hearted strained giggle)
Mike Brown: Thank you. That will be all. I will be in touch.
Reply/Quote
Every candidate will have done their homework on the roster and systems so Mikey and crew are going to hear the truth from these guys. They will her what the candidates feel is needed to succeed and that will likely be more things Mikey does not want to do.
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
"I brought my own kneepads! Now you don't have to spring for a new pair."
Go Benton Panthers!!
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2019, 12:23 AM)The Stars In Stripes Wrote: Mike Brown: Welcome
Interviewee: Thanks for the oppor...
Mike Brown: (Stone-faced) I need you to giggle
Interviewer: What?
Mike Brown: Giggle
Interviewer: Is this some kind of joke?
Mike Brown: I need you to giggle for 20 seconds
Interviewer: ummm ok... (Half-hearted strained giggle)
Mike Brown: Thank you. That will be all. I will be in touch.

Or, something like this:

Mike Brown: How can I help you?
Interviewee: What? You invited me here.
Mike Brown: I did? Why in the world would I do that?
Interviewer: Umm... you were interviewing for a HC?
Mike Brown: We are? Why would we do that? We’ve got that Marvin fellow.
Interviewer: But you parted ways with Marvin.
Mike Brown: we did? Why did we do that.
Interviewer: cause he was a loser.
Mike Brown: Can you be a loser?
Interviewer: umm, sure, no problem.
Mike Brown: Welcome to the team son, welcome to the team.
Interviewer: Thanks Mr. Brown.
Mike Brown: Don’t call me Mr Brown. Call me Dad.
Interviewer: ok, umm, dad.
Mike Brown: Now lets go get lunch. Arby’s has a 5 for 5 special.

Reply/Quote
MB is basically going to want to hear someone say that can win on a budget.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
I think you're going to have to say why things will be different. Coming in an saying complete roster overhaul I don't think will go over well, so how will you win with a large portion of the roster that is here now? Your going to have to pinpoint some issues that are "easy" fixes and your going to have to say that you can reinvigorate the players and fans.

I think the Rams guys are interesting because they do seem to be in play because they are a little younger and they have been around an innovative organization.
Reply/Quote
I think the bigger point is what are the Bengals going to say to get their guy? Assuming they are sincere in doing a legit search and not handing the reigns to hue and Vance as dc, I think the perception of working here has been cast. Job security but financially limited

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
In Mike's defense, he does have quantifiable evidence that a coach can come in here and build a playoff-caliber team despite the perceived restrictions of this franchise.
Reply/Quote
Does anyone really think Hue Jackson has a legit shot at this job? Surely Mike and family understand the backlash from the fanbase if he hires Hue or Vance Joseph for that matter. If he thought the seats were empty last year be ready for totally silence on Sundays if either of these clowns get the job
Reply/Quote
They were jus talking about best Open NFL HC jobs available on ESPN....they ranked the Bengals at #3 but only because.....you will never get fired. They said all you have to do is “sort-of win football games” and “achieve mediocrity” and then you will never get fired.

....they ain’t wrong.
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2019, 10:06 AM)Gamma Ray Tan Wrote: They were jus talking about best Open NFL HC jobs available on ESPN....they ranked the Bengals at #3 but only because.....you will never get fired. They said all you have to do is “sort-of win football games” and “achieve mediocrity” and then you will never get fired.

....they ain’t wrong.

They aren't wrong, and other people who have this job ranked last or near the bottom are seriously underestimating just how attractive that prospect may be.  Any coaching candidate who looks at Marvin's tenure here can see three things:

1) You can build a playoff caliber team here despite not having a GM, not making a big splash in free agency, and not having an indoor practice facility.  It might be tougher, but Marvin proved you can do it.  There are no if's, and's, and but's about it.  
2) You will be given time here, provided you don't shit the bed completely. 
3) There are enough talented players here that you won't have to do a complete overhaul on day one. They are some missing pieces short of being competitive again right away. 

Sure, other teams might have GMs and might be bigger spenders in free agency, but what does that amount to if you're at risk of being fired after two mediocre seasons?
Reply/Quote
Interview question "What are your thoughts on the 1991 Chevrolet Lumina?"
Reply/Quote
They were really impressed with Marv's knowledge of the Org when he interviewed. So that person would need to do a lot of homework on how they operate, and present a vision based on that.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote