Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
With Geno And Dunlap Signed, Will We Go For O-Line FAs?
With Dunlap and Atkins being signed to extensions, do we turn our attention to bringing in a RG and RT?

Do we wait until after final cuts and then go after players?

This still is my only worry about this team's success, so will we try to improve it now that we have those deals done?
Reply/Quote
If we do anything, we wait for final cuts. I still don't think we do anything though.

[Image: tumblr_nmz43uky8c1rtim7ko1_500.gif]

Feel free to support my Film/TV Review YouTube Channel  - Youtube.Com/NaterTot
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2018, 07:00 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: With Dunlap and Atkins being signed to extensions, do we turn our attention to bringing in a RG and RT?

Do we wait until after final cuts and then go after players?

This still is my only worry about this team's success, so will we try to improve it now that we have those deals done?

They just spent a lot of money.  I wouldn't expect any "nice surprises" coming to the OL, any time soon..  Now, that's not to say that if a reliable vet were willing to sign for a very modest contract, that they wouldn't at least try to get some help.  

But realistically, who the hell are we to demand more?  We've seen more out of the Bengals ordinary moves this offseason, than we have in 30 years.  They've made a significant financial investment in Glenn, Brown, Geno, and Carlos.  Made concessions to recover some of that by cutting Adam Jones, Brandon Lafell, and George Iloka.  The only place I see left to gain some cash, without a lot of dead money, would be to part ways with Michael Johnson.  Is the team ready to do that?  I know that plenty of fans on this board think he's still an asset to the team. (I think his time has passed)
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
The Bengals and Marv have usually been the types to "roll with what we have" when it gets this late.

That said, they have been doing things a bit differently this year. Still I doubt the cavalry is coming.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
The NFL as a whole is thin at O line, not sure why people think a bunch of starting caliber lineman are going to flood the market next week.
Reply/Quote
What!?!?!? Are we burying the lead here.

We extended Geno and Carlos?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
With the way the front office has been attacking issues proactively this offseason I wouldn’t put either a waiver wire pickup or a trade beyond them.
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2018, 07:32 PM)bfine32 Wrote: What!?!?!? Are we burying the lead here.

We extended Geno and Carlos?

Geno for 4 years (through 2022) and Carlos for 3 years (through 2021).  

They will likely retire as Bengals now.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2018, 07:29 PM)Au165 Wrote: The NFL as a whole is thin at O line, not sure why people think a bunch of starting caliber lineman are going to flood the market next week.

Excellent point. I know right off the top of my hat that the Colts, Ravens and Browns have awful o-lines...that's 5 games right there of fun for the big boys up front. 

[Image: tumblr_nmz43uky8c1rtim7ko1_500.gif]

Feel free to support my Film/TV Review YouTube Channel  - Youtube.Com/NaterTot
Reply/Quote
I think if they are going to sign anyone it will be after cuts. It wouldn’t be anyone that’s expensive someone that can likely help now that only has a few good years left before he retires to help the younger guys on the team
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2018, 07:38 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Geno for 4 years (through 2022) and Carlos for 3 years (through 2021).  

They will likely retire as Bengals now.

This is great news. I'll admit I was growing a little tired of Big Los because he seemed to sour on the team; but, I'll admit this makes me love him all over again.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(08-28-2018, 07:15 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: They just spent a lot of money.  I wouldn't expect any "nice surprises" coming to the OL, any time soon..  Now, that's not to say that if a reliable vet were willing to sign for a very modest contract, that they wouldn't at least try to get some help.  

But realistically, who the hell are we to demand more?  We've seen more out of the Bengals ordinary moves this offseason, than we have in 30 years.  They've made a significant financial investment in Glenn, Brown, Geno, and Carlos.  Made concessions to recover some of that by cutting Adam Jones, Brandon Lafell, and George Iloka.  The only place I see left to gain some cash, without a lot of dead money, would be to part ways with Michael Johnson.  Is the team ready to do that?  I know that plenty of fans on this board think he's still an asset to the team. (I think his time has passed)

I've read that the two deals signed today are bad news for Johnson and maybe Ryan Hewitt.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
I honestly think we will go with what we have, I also think that we will be fine once the O-line is settled .
I know normally that we don't see the starters play much in the final pre-season game but this year I think we will see them play at least until half time, just to let them get used to each other more.
Reply/Quote
I hope they do something with Johnson, I like the guy, but he doesn’t have it anymore. Cut him and go out and find anyone. There’s bound to be a guy or two that is older for the oline or a young oline player that didn’t make a team. We need some more help for sure because Cedric is not the answer
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2018, 08:00 PM)Wyche Wrote: I've read that the two deals signed today are bad news for Johnson and maybe Ryan Hewitt.

I haven't had the chance to read any of that, yet.  When you take a position as a CAD operator, and they know that you have 7 years of field experience...

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2018, 08:00 PM)WychesWarrior Wrote: I've read that the two deals signed today are bad news for Johnson and maybe Ryan Hewitt.

Geno got paid. He's getting something like 37 million in the first two years. More than any non QB over 30 years old ever.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2018, 08:24 PM)jason Wrote: Geno got paid. He's getting something like 37 million in the first two years. More than any non QB over 30 years old ever.

Well merited, if you ask me.  It's good to see the team reward the man for taking a "team friendly" deal, the last time around.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2018, 08:27 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Well merited, if you ask me.  It's good to see the team reward the man for taking a "team friendly" deal, the last time around.

Yeah. He's worth every penny. I'm really excited about the D line this year. If Billings is for real, they are gonna do serious damage.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Can't wait, and hope the front 4 destroy teams. Hope this defense is so good that the offense only needs about 17-20 points every week to win.
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2018, 09:46 PM)jorev5 Wrote: Can't wait, and hope the front 4 destroy teams.  Hope this defense is so good that the offense only needs about 17-20 points every week to win.

Well, they are fantastic at getting after the passer.  However, stopping the run, not so much...

And, don't begin to think that our division rivals haven't taken notice of that little detail.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote