Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
White terrorist kills muslims with car
(06-27-2017, 04:13 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Can you get a source for this? Fairfax County isn't too far from me and very similar to my own county. I seriously doubt this is their current policy and any sources I could find date between 1995-1999.

My "source" would be the teachers at Lanier Middle School in the city of Fairfax, who explained the policy to me during a parent teacher meeting in 2000.  I found no public statement of this policy on the Fairfax website. I doubt there is one now. Perhaps they have changed it.

A suggestion: if you live in the area, call a teacher at one of the middle schools and ask if there policy is still to read a statement about creationism and evolution in biology classes. If they are unable to talk about the policy, that may be confirmation.

I don't see any mention of evolution in their 2010 Standards of Learning Blueprint for 8th grade science. Students just learn about cell structure and chemical processes and basic genetics. Nothing about evolution.  The standards for HS do include learning evolution as a goal, as of 2010.

http://www.doe.virginia.gov/testing/sol/blueprints/science_blueprints/2010/2010_blueprint_science_8.pdf

But they were DEFINITELY doing this in '99 and '00
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(06-27-2017, 03:15 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Oh I thought he was making a joke.

No, I was genuinely curious.  I have met many young people who say they are Christians but don't seem to know ANY Bible stories, except maybe the birth and death of Jesus (Christmas and Easter) and the first few chapters of Genesis. It wasn't like that 40 years ago, just based on my anecdotal conversational experience with people. I am not a Christian, but Jesus, how can you understand world history and what's going in the world today without any basic knowledge of Christianity?
(06-27-2017, 08:04 PM)Dill Wrote: My "source" would be the teachers at Lanier Middle School in the city of Fairfax, who explained the policy to me during a parent teacher meeting in 2000.  I found no public statement of this policy on the Fairfax website. I doubt there is one now. Perhaps they have changed it.

A suggestion: if you live in the area, call a teacher at one of the middle schools and ask if there policy is still to read a statement about creationism and evolution in biology classes. If they are unable to talk about the policy, that may be confirmation.

I don't see any mention of evolution in their 2010 Standards of Learning Blueprint for 8th grade science. Students just learn about cell structure and chemical processes and basic genetics. Nothing about evolution.  The standards for HS do include learning evolution as a goal, as of 2010.

http://www.doe.virginia.gov/testing/sol/blueprints/science_blueprints/2010/2010_blueprint_science_8.pdf

That makes sense withe dates of the sources I found. Thanks!
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(06-27-2017, 08:04 PM)Dill Wrote: My "source" would be the teachers at Lanier Middle School in the city of Fairfax, who explained the policy to me during a parent teacher meeting in 2000.  I found no public statement of this policy on the Fairfax website. I doubt there is one now. Perhaps they have changed it.

So, this is interesting to me. I grew up in Virginia, in a much more red area than Fairfax as well. Creationism, intelligent design, none of that stuff was brought up in my life sciences class in 7th grade, in my honors bio in 10th, or my AP bio in 11th. This would have been in 1998-1999, 2001, and 2002-2003 respectively. So that would have had to have been a local policy, but not one my much more conservative area used.

Now, I can't remember if we covered much about evolution in 7th, but I definitely remember a good deal about it later on.

Edit: Take a look at the document you linked, page 8:
Quote:LS.13 The student will investigate and understand that populations of organisms change over time. Key concepts include a) the relationships of mutation, adaptation, natural selection, and extinction; b) evidence of evolution of different species in the fossil record; and c) how environmental influences, as well as genetic variation, can lead to diversity of organisms

LS is 7th grade in Virginia.

Edit again: This is LS.13 and LS.14 from when I was in school:
Quote:LS.13 The student will investigate and understand that organisms reproduce and transmit genetic information to new generations. Key concepts include
a) the role of DNA;
b) characteristics that can and cannot be inherited;
c) genetic engineering and its applications; and
d) historical contributions and significance of discoveries related to genetics.

LS.14 The student will investigate and understand that organisms change over time. Key concepts include
a) the relationships of mutation, adaptation, natural selection, and extinction;
b) evidence of evolution of different species in the fossil record; and
c) how environmental influences, as well as genetic variation, can lead to diversity of organisms.

http://www.doe.virginia.gov/testing/sol/blueprints/science_blueprints/previous/1995/blueprints_science8.shtml
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(06-27-2017, 08:45 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: So, this is interesting to me. I grew up in Virginia, in a much more red area than Fairfax as well. Creationism, intelligent design, none of that stuff was brought up in my life sciences class in 7th grade, in my honors bio in 10th, or my AP bio in 11th. This would have been in 1998-1999, 2001, and 2002-2003  respectively. So that would have had to have been a local policy, but not one my much more conservative area used.

Now, I can't remember if we covered much about evolution in 7th, but I definitely remember a good deal about it later on.

Edit: Take a look at the document you linked, page 8:

LS is 7th grade in Virginia.

Edit again: This is LS.13 and LS.14 from when I was in school:

http://www.doe.virginia.gov/testing/sol/blueprints/science_blueprints/previous/1995/blueprints_science8.shtml

Whoa Bels. I went back and checked the document I linked. Here is what I see. 

LS 13. The student will investigate and understand that populations of organisms change
over time. Key concepts include
a)  the relationships of mutation, adaptation, natural selection, and extinction.

There is no no "B" and "C" and no mention of the world "evolution" at all.  You have an extra line which does not appear in the copy I am looking at.

. How is that possible.