Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2 Average
With Trey out move to a 3-4
What do y'all think of moving to 3-4 Nickle, and playing Davis-Gaither or Jalen Davis on the edge with Hilton on the other side? With what Hilton did to Henry and coming up in support of shutting Chubb down this could be an idea for one of Lou's hybrid defenses.

I do want to see what Ossai, Sample, and Jeff Gunter can do. Lou will have something creative up his sleeve. In Lou we Trust! Who Dey!
Reply/Quote
No. Too much effort and not enough time to make drastic changes to our defense. We will be okay without Hendrickson. I'm confident other guys will step up and/or Lou will scheme around Hendrickson's absence.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(12-14-2022, 10:47 AM)BIGDADDYFROMCINCINNATI Wrote: What do y'all think of moving to 3-4 Nickle, and playing Davis-Gaither or Jalen Davis on the edge with Hilton on the other side?  With what Hilton did to Henry and coming up in support of shutting Chubb down this could be an idea for one of Lou's hybrid defenses.

I do want to see what Ossai, Sample, and Jeff Gunter can do.  Lou will have something creative up his sleeve. In Lou we Trust! Who Dey!

Nope. No need to change things ust because trey is out for a game or two. The other's will step in and fill that roll.
Reply/Quote
Hendrickson technically hasn't even been ruled out for the Tampa game. Granted, he probably will, but I think it's possible he comes back for the Patriots game and I'd put money on him being available for the Bills. He did play the entire 4th quarter with the broken wrist, after all.

Obviously, the sooner he's back the better our defense will be, but they can live through the Bucs game and maybe Patriots without him without having to make major changes to the defense.
Reply/Quote
Way too tough to switch your base defense in the middle of a season. The last thing you want to do is slow guys down or have missed assignments because of confusion.
Reply/Quote
(12-14-2022, 10:47 AM)BIGDADDYFROMCINCINNATI Wrote: What do y'all think of moving to 3-4 Nickle, and playing Davis-Gaither or Jalen Davis on the edge with Hilton on the other side?  With what Hilton did to Henry and coming up in support of shutting Chubb down this could be an idea for one of Lou's hybrid defenses.

I do want to see what Ossai, Sample, and Jeff Gunter can do.  Lou will have something creative up his sleeve. In Lou we Trust! Who Dey!

We could play it for several snaps just to throw the opposing offense a curve, but we don't need to reinvent the wheel.
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote
(12-14-2022, 10:57 AM)EatonFan Wrote: We could play it for several snaps just to throw the opposing offense a curve, but we don't need to reinvent the wheel.

I really don't think it's reinventing the wheel per se, b/c really all you're doing is walking up an OLB up and giving him more outside contain responsibilities.  We do this with Hilton by bringing him off the edge and dropping our DE into coverage all the time.  
Reply/Quote
I don't think we would change our base defense but we do throw in different alignments during the game. If we are just rushing 3 anyways it might make sense to start from something resembling a 3-4, at least in formation if not personnel.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Not the worst idea given how the LBs have been defending the run and I would imagine they will try to get Fournette going, but my guess is they don't reinvent the wheel for this offense.  

ADG as a pass rusher in a rare blitz situation would be nice, though.  Tom can't step up with Reader and BJ closing the middle, the ends should eat.  
Reply/Quote
The Bucs are at the bottom or very near in nearly every rushing stat in the NFL. They average 16 attempts for 46 yards at home.

I'm not sure if they should change up the defense much. But I'd be inclined to scheme up some blitz packages and do it more often than normal. Brady isn't very mobile (to say the least) screw up his timing and get him off his spot.

They're not gonna beat us rushing the ball.
Reply/Quote
(12-14-2022, 11:31 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: The Bucs are at the bottom or very near in nearly every rushing stat in the NFL. They average 16 attempts for 46 yards at home.

I'm not sure if they should change up the defense much. But I'd be inclined to scheme up some blitz packages and do it more often than normal. Brady isn't very mobile (to say the least) screw up his timing and get him off his spot.

They're not gonna beat us rushing the ball.

I agree Fournette isn't going to beat us, but Brady's arm could.  That's why I want to bring ADG, Hilton, and Davis off the edge and let DJ and BJ control the middle.  One thing I think we've been lacking is a pass rush as we are #30 out of #32 in team QB sacks.  I think this is the week to try a few different things to make Tom Brady have a long day and just flat-out get after him. 
Reply/Quote

Next Man Up....
Reply/Quote
The OP concept is not really football sounds. A “3-4 nickel” is a 4-2-5 or a 3-3-5 with an over or under look. No one is using corners or stack linebackers to set the edge. OP may potentially be thinking of like a dollar set which is 3 down lineman and 2 linebackers with 4 CBs similar to dime. You can go here in obvious passing downs but it has to be specific situations because the lack of matching hat count in this formation can lead to explosive runs.
Reply/Quote
This defense has been great,and we have depth.Lou will scheme.I wouldn’t change a thing.
Reply/Quote
This. Isn't. Madden.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-14-2022, 12:31 PM)Au165 Wrote: The OP concept is not really football sounds. A “3-4 nickel” is a 4-2-5 or a 3-3-5 with an over or under look. No one is using corners or stack linebackers to set the edge. OP may potentially be thinking of like a dollar set which is 3 down lineman and 2 linebackers with 4 CBs similar to dime. You can go here in obvious passing downs but it has to be specific situations because the lack of matching hat count in this formation can lead to explosive runs.

That's all depending on if you're going to use ADG or Jalen Davis.  

I'm leaning more towards a 3-4 UNDER with ADG b/c he's a big, strong, rangy OLB. His speed would be key here. With BJ in a 3-Tech, DJ in a 1-Tech, and Sam in a 5-tech.    I realize it can lead to explosive runs, but I still don't think Fournette can beat us, with Logan and Pratt at LB.  With Tampa having one of the worse rushing offenses in the league, I'd be willing to take our chances.  I'm more worried about Brady's arm and with us having one of the league's worse team sacks averages per game, I think we need to throw Tom a big curve ball with our defensive look. Just a thought. 
Reply/Quote
(12-14-2022, 01:23 PM)BIGDADDYFROMCINCINNATI Wrote: That's all depending on if you're going to use ADG or Jalen Davis.  

I'm leaning more towards a 3-4 UNDER with ADG b/c he's a big, strong, rangy OLB. His speed would be key here. With BJ in a 3-Tech, DJ in a 1-Tech, and Sam in a 5-tech.    I realize it can lead to explosive runs, but I still don't think Fournette can beat us, with Logan and Pratt at LB.  With Tampa having one of the worse rushing offenses in the league, I'd be willing to take our chances.  I'm more worried about Brady's arm and with us having one of the league's worse team sacks averages per game, I think we need to throw Tom a big curve ball with our defensive look. Just a thought. 

We're near last in sacks, but among the leaders in pressures I think?

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(12-14-2022, 01:23 PM)BIGDADDYFROMCINCINNATI Wrote: That's all depending on if you're going to use ADG or Jalen Davis.  

Tom Brady has been in the league for 112 years. I don't think it's possible to throw him a curveball on the football field.  Rock On
Reply/Quote

Not sure ADG is considered a big/strong LB at 6'2 and almost 30 pounds lighter than our 2 starters?  

Im also not sure any team is going to throw Brady a big curve ball?  I do know that trying to switch the base defense in one week is a recipe for disaster with multiple responsibilities being missed and compound those with Brady? No thanks.

We have an excellent defense with many variations including a 3 man rush.  Brady is not as scary as Mahomes, he definitely does not like pressure up the middle thus Reader and Hill having a big game could be the difference maker.

Au165 made some excellent points.

Reply/Quote
(12-14-2022, 06:33 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Not sure ADG is considered a big/strong LB at 6'2 and almost 30 pounds lighter than our 2 starters?  

Im also not sure any team is going to throw Brady a big curve ball?  I do know that trying to switch the base defense in one week is a recipe for disaster with multiple responsibilities being missed and compound those with Brady? No thanks.

We have an excellent defense with many variations including a 3 man rush.  Brady is not as scary as Mahomes, he definitely does not like pressure up the middle thus Reader and Hill having a big game could be the difference maker.

Au165 made some excellent points.

That's why you'd put ADG on the edge in an under look b/c he is 30 lbs lighter.  With us being # 30 out of 32 in team sacks, this is an area where we need to improve and this is the week to do it. 
Reply/Quote